1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Next expansion pack?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by bonafide11, Feb 9, 2018.

1. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I think they did a great job with Rise & Fall being very original to the series and adding in a lot of new features that make the game much more fun. I know it's way too early to begin thinking about what they do next, but just for fun, let's do it anyway...

Based on the typical cycle of Civ games, when should we expect the second expansion pack?

And, more importantly, what features do you envision in the next expansion? A couple things I think they can add would be corporations again and the United Nations, but I'm sure you all have some more creative ideas.

TahamiTsunami likes this.
  2. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I hope to see the next expansion make religion more immersive, more interesting, and more like it was designed by someone with the vaguest clue about theology or comparative religious studies rather than a programmer who read a few Wikipedia pages and spent too much time playing DnD... ;)

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I didn't care for the way the UN/World Congress has been implemented in the past. They said they considered it with R&F but went with Emergencies instead, which are temporary, focused alliances. I wouldn't mind that being overlooked in future expansions.

I would like to see Corporations. I think there could be lots of interesting ways to flesh them out and adapt them to the Civ VI model.

I also want to see more victory types, but not "control the most city-states" or "have the most money" victories.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Very much what @Eagle Pursuit said. If the world congress/UN/whatever isn't more interesting than "arbitrarily ban Salt!!!" I really don't want it back. I feel like the new alliances and emergencies have satisfactorily taken its place (though other improvements to diplomacy are certainly welcome).

5. spfun

spfun Chieftain

Emergencies in my game were just free massive lump sum gold dumps with no opportunity cost.

TahamiTsunami and Elhoim like this.
  6. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I could imagine hearing the first news of a second expansion a little over a year from now with a release date of May 2019.

They could expand upon the Ages and Historic Timeline systems with random events.

They could also introduce a new victory type - either Diplomatic with the United Nations or Economic with Corporations.

I think Corporations could be fun; similar to Religions in that you can pick a logo (rather than symbol) and a set of bonuses perhaps. They'd open in the Medieval or Renaissance Eras and start out as Companies (very minor and comparable to a Pantheon, for example). They'd evolve into full-blown Corporations by the Industrial Era.

I imagine they would focus on monopolizing the world supply of Luxury or Strategic resources. The Corporation from India is all about Citrus and Coal whereas the Corporation from Brazil prefers Silk and Iron. Cornering the market on several resources, subsuming rival corporations, and accruing a healthy stockpile of money would probably be how you achieve victory.

Not sure what else. The game is already pretty packed with systems. I guess Health and Hygiene? Could tie into the random events if they came back... plagues and whatnot.

7. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

If they are only doing two xpacs, I'd expect a $40 "the works" style expansion (ala XCOM 2) maybe summer 2019. I.e. 12 Civs, two victory types (diplomatic reworked, economic corporations based), new units filling in the gaps, etc., etc.

8. PYITE

PYITE Chieftain

I was happy to see they put RF in a DLC folder named “expansion 1”

9. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

May 2019 is a very reasonable guess, but if they have large handful of DLC planned, I expect it will be later.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of U.N.mechanic return, but it would need to be a little more creative than earlier iterations. I expect either that or corporations to anchor the xp and that we'll get one more victory type.

(And how about railroads and a hall of fame while we're at it?)

10. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Yes to railroads. I miss them.

Add in canals, as well. :D

11. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

Bear in mind there was that 2k shareholder meeting or whatever it was a few months back where they talked about wanting to emphasize games-as-service along with a bunch of other corporate-speak. Since they can't make Civ a subscription game (yet :scared: ) they might try to make a February expansion a regular thing. Especially if there's no DLC for R&F.

12. Swissy

Swissy Chieftain

Hopefully the next DLC will include a map generation script written specifically for multiplayer games. The one in the game now makes no allowances for start area balance and CS distribution. As it is now, an 8 player game will have 2-3 players with awesome starts an 2-3 players who have starts that only the most determined/masochist single player civer would play.

I would pay $9.99 just for a good multiplayer random map generator.

13. OldCivDog

OldCivDog Chieftain

Maybe a rework of the tech/culture trees that allows players to fine tune their research focus. For example, at the start of the game, players will have a dialogue box prior to their first science/culture research selection, asking if they would like to focus research in one of several areas (probably Military, Culture, Religion, Engineering or None - related to the victory types or no specialization) If a player chooses to specialize, then any tech they are researching within that specific area will receive a +5% bonus toward completing that tech. However, the cost of specialization would be to increase the cost of tech outside of the specialized area by 5%. This doesn't change the structure of the tech tree, but does give an option to tailor the tech to the type of victory you wish to pursue. Just spitballing here, numbers and balance would have to be worked out - would be interesting to see how something like this could be implemented

14. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

Emergencies are not the replacement for the World Congress/expanded diplomacy I'd hoped they'd be. As such, I still want the WC (coupled with Diplomatic Victories) in Civ6. I'd also like to see ideological blocs return, creating late-game tension between various alliances that can drag everyone into global warfare. Beyond those two things, continuing AI improvements, bug squashes, and a healthy dose of alternative leaders for various Civs is really all I need.

15. Mojo85

Mojo85 Chieftain

More infrastructure such as public transportation. start out with caravans, move to trains of different types (passenger, cattle, troop transport), then to aircraft, then space etc

Ways to make tundra/desert not such a handicap. I get they can’t be as productive but right now starting with half tundra is an auto reroll

Thormodr likes this.
  16. Cuneiform

Cuneiform Chieftain

I think improvements to Culture and Space Race would be my choice.

The whole Works of Art/Writing/Music system could do with fleshing out a bit more so that the same things don't appear every game. Also some extra detail in the Artifact system would be welcome, so that we get more realistic Artifacts that actually relate to the Civ they supposedly belonged to. For example no more Cat Mummies from Civs other than Egypt or Nubia.

As for the Space Race, maybe introducing a variation on the Satellite System from Beyond Earth that can be launched from the Space Port district.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    earlc likes this.
  17. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Chieftain

This would be nice imo. This expansion didn't really give us any religious Civs aside from Georgia (I guess). I guess maybe the Indonesia/Khmer DLC that came out around the same time as the religion patch kind of counts but yeah, I'd really like some more flavor added. Even bringing the Apostolic Palace back in some way could be cool

Zaarin likes this.
  18. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Need Morocco and the Inuit, then. :D

19. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

Well we still don't have a proper world congress or diplomatic victory so that's still the biggest missing feature imo, just gotta make it feel new and interesting this time

20. Zelda1983

Zelda1983 Chieftain

About 18 months i guess.

Now religion has nothing to do with loyalty. This gap still needs to be filled.

TahamiTsunami and omniplex like this.