1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Next-Gen People: Soren Johnson

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Sep 22, 2006.

1. LordRahl

LordRahl The Objectivist

I'm guessing Populous...

2. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

I thinks "Pops" had a sequal

3. trada

trada civ1 mod Retired Moderator

Pops or MULE.

4. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

Im hoping its Colinzation and Pops mixed somehow, cuz this wasn't much of a follow up
    http://amiga.emucamp.com/populous2.htm

5. Leto

Leto Chieftain

dudes, it's a new IP, so there's no way it can be alpha centauri or colonization.

my stab at the 80's influence? marble madness, baby. :D

6. sevensterre

sevensterre Chieftain

I think it's a sequel to Darklands with a city building twist

7. LordRahl

LordRahl The Objectivist

Didn't notice the part about the "follow up". This definitely excludes Populous, as it had at least 2 sequels that I remember, one of which involved Greek Gods and the other was 3D...

8. Samuelson

Samuelson Prince

I think it's Spore. If you haven't heard about Spore yet it's a game for PC and you should watch this video here.

9. timster

timster Chieftain

Wow, that would be good. :cool: I remember Darklands quite well. It was really complex for its time, but it had HUGE potential.

10. Sub

Sub in omnia paratus

Indeed.

10 characters

11. Liquidated

Liquidated Goofed Up on Cough Syrup!

When I was reading the post at the mention of his new game , MULE sprang to mind.

Total classic of the 80's that never got a followup. It's multiplayer to the core, which Soren admits to having a weakness for.

Also a few other clues for the over active mind...

He blatently mentions mule later on in the article so well strike one there!

If they have an early build and are having a lot of fun playing it... that pretty much excludes any sort of story driven game like an rpg. Score one for mule.

Mule is from the very ground up, a multiplayer game which is very rare in turn based strats. Yes Civ4 has mp mode but first and formost the game was designed around the single player.

Honestly though mule is the single most unique game of the 8 bit era that never had a sequel, everything else that comes to my mind was rehashed in some way and I don;t mean rehashed in a bad way lol.

Cheers!
    -Liq

12. dreiche2

dreiche2 Prince

Why keep people suggesting games from the nineties? Civilization I came out 1991, so Colonization, Alpha Centauri, Master of Magic, etc. are definitely out. Also, Darklands is from 1992.

Etc.

13. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Emperor

Spore is Will Wright's next big project. Aside from the fact that it's hardly "secret," I don't think it came out in the eighties. It does combine genres, though.

14. Kickbooti

Kickbooti Ecclesia Militans

I wish it were colonization. But there was a really fun spy game Microprose did - I can't remember the name. I think it was from the 80's.

15. Pudd'nhead

Pudd'nhead Chieftain

He's talking about a really old game that had critical acclaim but today is largely forgotten & never had a real follow-up, and wasn't done as a multiplayer but might benefit from it. Also since Soren says he likes Mayfair and Rio Grande type games, I'm thinking he is attracted to games that have that kind of gameplay/rule complexity balance & dynamic. My nomination/hope is for:

Balance of Power (Chris Crawford)

If you've never heard of either BOP or Crawford that just proves my (and Soren's?) point. In the day Chris Crawford was a gaming god on the level of Sid Meier.

16. $tarbuck

$tarbuck Chieftain

Anyone else play The Wizard's Crown? Some of us did not think The Eternal Dagger was "really... a follow-up." TED was listed as <A Wizard's Crown Adventure>

17. slowcar

slowcar King

MULE was SO great. we played it endless on an atari800 (?). until i got my amiga with 4 SD-floppys and civ1 on them :)

i would still love to play it, so much fun to walk an auction - people who know it know what i mean :)

18. botur2young

botur2young Warlord

i can only assume he's planning to make a turn based strategy game based on donkey kong

19. dtolman

dtolman Chieftain

two words: Covert Action

never been anything like it since...

20. Comraddict

Comraddict C.IV

my guess would be Gunship, bit it already has a remake.