Next Release

Kailric

Jack of All Trades
Here we can post any info on when the next release will be up loaded and what features will be included. Also, since we plan to release more often we can post a date here and shoot to get all features for that release done by then.

For the 2.6 release I am wanting to get some things done by 25th this month(June).

The Major additions are:

-All goods are sellable to Natives (this is an xml only change)
-New Minor Civ attribute for CivilizationsInfos
-small Economy improvements, such as better formulas for when flooding the market with a single good
-a new Victory Condition

I want to release on Tuesday the 1st of April. It is a nice looking date. The only real problem is that I would have to rewrite history.... again. I already did it twice to git, so why not for a release?

One question about the next release: what should it be called? As it was correctly pointed out, the step from 2.0i to 2.1 doesn't sound like a whole, but in reality it is a completely new environment for XML modders. Maybe it should be 2.5 instead.

What features are we wanting shoot for in 2.6?
Not sure how much of this will be in 2.6, but a list of what I plan to look into
  • on/off generic code for trade screens
  • ability to add trade screens without modifying python
  • get rid of yield groups
  • remove hardcoded yields
  • fix the network code
Maybe we should start using sourceforge to add tasks like this. We can add which release we intend to add each feature in. If we add everything there, the changelog could be written by viewing all bugfixes and new features marked with 2.6.

Not sure how much of this will be in 2.6, but a list of what I plan to look into
  • on/off generic code for trade screens
  • ability to add trade screens without modifying python
  • get rid of yield groups
  • remove hardcoded yields
  • fix the network code
Maybe we should start using sourceforge to add tasks like this. We can add which release we intend to add each feature in. If we add everything there, the changelog could be written by viewing all bugfixes and new features marked with 2.6.

That's a good list. What's the on/off generic code? Adding trades screens without python should be pretty simple. The code is mostly there to do that so it's mainly adding different back ground art files and such to the XML.

My plan:

• make all yields available to be sold at outlying villages and towns. This is help beginning players build up their gold reserves and trade points until they open a larger profit trade route.
  • work on finishing some of the diplomacy issues
  • work at making the "Natives" function more like Minor Civs

I'll check out the sourceforge features more when I get the chance.

That's a good list. What's the on/off generic code?
I refer to the concept of being able to disable trade screens with civics, like I said the other day about having a slave market, which is accessible to civs having slavery civic. Adding the concept of removing the trade screen when switching away from the civic is what I meant. Also the currently hardcoded access to screen 1 shouldn't be hardcoded.

There are a few things regarding on/off for trade screens, which could be way better.

Adding trades screens without python should be pretty simple. The code is mostly there to do that so it's mainly adding different back ground art files and such to the XML.
I'm not saying that it is complex. I'm saying that I would like the code to work. Ideally no mod specific code should be in either python or DLL. The perfect modder friendly result would be if somebody starts a new mod and can do that with only read access to python and DLL.

Medieval: Conquests 2.5 is currently being uploaded. I will update this post when it is done. It will take several hours I bet as even after uploading it will need to pass inspection.

The File is uploaded just awaiting authorization. We will provide alternate links as well. All the new movies are uploaded and the files are here http://www.atomicgamer.com/file.php?id=107703

M:C 2.5 is out!! :D :D

Thank you very much.

It comes at a bad timing for me, but I am eager to test (to play:p) all the new features. I’ll download it now and try to play it soon.

Edit: No, it is not out. :hammer2: I was carried away by my desire.

What has been released is only .... films?

I haven't heard from Nightinggale since Friday to see what he plans are but, I am thinking I'll release the next patch sometime later this evening. Also, for the 2.6 release I am wanting to get some things done by 25th this month.

The Major additions are:

-All goods are sellable to Natives (this is an xml only change)
-New Minor Civ attribute for CivilizationsInfos
-small Economy improvements, such as better formulas for when flooding the market with a single good
-a new Victory Condition

He didn't inform me of any short term plans either. I suspect only long term plans exist at the moment, which will not really matter for bugfix releases.

Touche. Sometimes I worry when I don't hear from you that you will just vanish off the face of the earth :blush::D:(

I cleaned up git to make it appear correctly regarding the release of M:C 2.5.2.
release-2.5 and master branches now points to the right revision (the one, which was used for the release).
Patch_2.5.2 branch is no longer needed and has been removed.
MC_2.5.2 tags have been added.

We are now back to how the guidelines propose branch usage on git.

I cleaned up git to make it appear correctly regarding the release of M:C 2.5.2.
release-2.5 and master branches now points to the right revision (the one, which was used for the release).
Patch_2.5.2 branch is no longer needed and has been removed.
MC_2.5.2 tags have been added.

We are now back to how the guidelines propose branch usage on git.

Could you explain "tags" as I don't understand that one yet?

I updated the develop branch in all modules. They now have the bugfixes from 2.5.2 included.

Could you explain "tags" as I don't understand that one yet?
Open smartGIT and pull and then open the log. On the left side it should say Tags(3) below the branches.

Now look at the actual list of revisions. There are green and yellow signs to show heads of the different branches. There are now also some yellow/orange signs (different looking than the yellow ones), which has the names MC_2.5, MC_2.5.1 and MC_2.5.2. This makes it much easier to find the releases in the log.

Say we have a bugreport saying that something, which worked in 2.5.1 has stopped working in 2.5.2. As the log makes it very clear which revision are used for what release, it is easy to read precisely what happened between those two releases. With a bit of luck, the tags will not be needed, but we have to add them while we are aware of where to place them because it's too late once we need them.

You can also see the tags in the web interface on SF. https://sourceforge.net/p/colonizationmodcollection/Medieval_Conquest/ci/master/tree/
Clicking on a branch will bring up the branch. Clicking on a tag will bring up the revision used for that tag.

Ah, ok. I see what the tags do now.

One question though. You say you removed the 2.5.2 branch, I should still be able to keep my local 2.5.2 I assume. When someone reports a bug in 2.5.2 and then I make changes to fix the bug, and call it 2.5.3 (in theory), and then a while later another bug is discovered, lots of times you can't load the same saved game with 2.5.3 so I would need to switch to the 2.5.2 branch in order to search for the new bug reported. Also, new bug fixes could conflict with other bug reports, just depending on how extensive the bug fixes were.

I know we are taking steps to preserve saved games, but I am not all that great at it, plus it seems that sometimes breaking saved games can't be helped, and for one we don't have access to the exe file.

Anyway, I myself will keep a local branch of the previous patch release so it will make it easier for bug hunting.

Bugfixes for 2.5.3 should be committed to release-2.5. If you want a branch for a certain release, you can always just select the revision with that tag and make a branch from there. There is no reason to keep many unused branches.

release-2.5 and master now points to where your local Patch-2.5.2 points to. Nothing is lost by removing it.

Do check that you point correctly to develop though. I moved the bugfixes back into develop and it wasn't as easy as I predicted. Try to pull and check in the log if origin and local points to the same revision. If not and you do not have local changes, reset hard to origin and any possible problems should go away.

Bugfixes for 2.5.3 should be committed to release-2.5. If you want a branch for a certain release, you can always just select the revision with that tag and make a branch from there. There is no reason to keep many unused branches.

Ok, I'll do that.

I was able to pull develop and push all my resent changes so hopefully all is well. I haven't run the indent script yet though. I always forget :mischief:

I was able to pull develop and push all my resent changes so hopefully all is well.
I'm not really sure how it ended up like this, but I ended up being unable to pull. Instead I used fetch and without local modifications I could reset hard to head and now everything is fine. The log ended up looking a bit funny though, but there is nothing we can do about that now.

I haven't run the indent script yet though. I always forget :mischief:
Looks like I have to write a pre-commit hook. Git can have some bash scripts, which executes at certain times. Pre-commit executes when committing and it can return ok or error. If it returns error, it will not commit. It can't execute the indent script, but presumably it can be made to check if modified xml files are indented correctly. If I can make it work, it will refuse to commit if you have to run the indent script first.

Top Bottom