Next settlement location (city 4)

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
Simple question, where do we want to settle city 4? At the end of today's play session we tentatively set Boaring Wallow on a settler.

We need luxuries most of all, so I'd suggest trying to get the gems to the east. Whether the best way is with the upcoming settler or a later one is a good topic for discussion. A dotmap will surely follow, but for now just getting the conversation kicked off.

Yes, we need luxuries, but I think that first we should build the city East of Abydos - where we thought the Mongolians were heading to. So:
City4: east of Abydos at the lakeside 2 tiles E of iron
City5/City6: city with gems in the radius / city on the river south of BoW

What George said about the Iron does have merit. However a city out there will close off the iron from any land grabing.

I propose green dot city followed by either Pink dot or blue dot

All of our fighting will be towards the south or West of Aybdos. It makes sense from a production and defense standpoint to start the "frontier "cities early and backfill. Both should be along the coast to provide a closer in seabase.

I vote green, start the Eastern Migration!!

I prefer heading east like many here. However, I feel the land is a bit barren at the green spot and would prefer something a bit further south. Maybe next to one of the lakes.

Oldbus said:
I prefer heading east like many here. However, I feel the land is a bit barren at the green spot and would prefer something a bit further south. Maybe next to one of the lakes.

That would work too..I suggested green dot to get the clams and get us a seaport for ships later on. But a city placed near both of the lakes would be good also.

It's true, that sea coast has it's advantage - even more because of possibility to build lighthouse htan anything else.
But as well Iron w/ mine in city working area is a great boost to its productivity and can make it build easily improvements. As well in case of war, having productive city close to the front-line is an advantage.

Honorable Censor -

Please do not submit a poll, yet!

I have a proposal I'm working on, but it got eaten by the internet between here and work.

I haven'y yet, and will refrain from until called upon.

w00t, i'm honorable!

We do not have to put the iron city on the coast to get the clams as we can build a city to do that on the coast south of BW (as I think was in the original plans). If we build the iron city on the coast that will make an city south of BW very squashed.

Chillaxation said:
Honorable Censor -

Please do not submit a poll, yet!

I have a proposal I'm working on, but it got eaten by the internet between here and work.

Any luck yet?

The happiness problems soon to befall us will require extraordinary efforts to solve. Our nation has begun a great undertaking in research, and I come before the assembly to undertake a great military and civil project - to claim the gems that lie far to the east of Abydos. While they are at a great distance from us, I suggest that we settle the tile two plots directly to the west of the nearest gems resource, hereafter site Alpha (see figure 1, CRIMSON). This gives us a vital six-plot choke line from the peak to the sea; access to gems after the expansion of our cultural borders; a fresh water tile with irrigation potential within the radius of the city; and a whopping eight hills in addition to the small contribution from the mine on the gems. This site, if chosen wisely, can become a productive center that immediately threatens the German gem mines - on which they will depend more than we, given that their dominance in that area will lead their trade to depend on the gem trade. It is this position that I believe is the strongest.

Figure 1.

Figure 2.

A great advantage of site Alpha is its occupation of a six plot choke line. After the expansion of the site's borders, we have the option of precluding movement along a vast area. See figure 2. Site Alpha, being only five tiles away from the soon-to-be-expanded borders of Abydos, GOLD, provides us an opportunity both to gain an essential luxury, and to link an expanded frontier between our home peninsula, the gems, and the strategically essential center of our continent. A prospective site (see figure 2, TAN), hereinafter site Beta, could bridge the gap and complete this expanded three-city frontier. The merits of this site will be further discussed below - but the advantages of site Alpha to maintaining our territorial integrity should be clear.

This site has explosive natural potential, if we exploit it wisely. A possible counter argument to settling at this site is that Alpha has no food resources, and excludes corn to its north and south. But the abundant jungles that surround it cover a vast grassland. It will be slightly food deficient before we discover how to implement a civil service, supporting only sixteen population, unimproved, after the jungles and forests are cleared. But after we master the bureaucracy necessary for irrigation projects, site Alpha has an unparalleled hammer capacity. Consider, for example, the case in which we irrigate all but two of the tiles that are arable at site Alpha. This will feed twenty and a half population adequately, allowing us a workshop or a lumbermill. At a conservative assumption of two hammers for the mill or shop, the city will be able to support a base productive capacity of thirty hammers. This site is an excellent candidate for West Point, the Heroic Epic, or the Ironworks.

Site Beta would make a fine commercial city, situated as it is along a river. It has a number of hills, and a high base food capacity. Together, the sites would allow us to roll our borders forward towards the center of the continent while giving us the capability to reserve, should we need it, a great deal of space behind those borders for future internal expansion.

Because of its strong resource advantages, strategic location, and ability to roll our borders forward, I urge Licentia to choose site Alpha.

Chillaxation

I can have an ax on station to scout the area for other civ /barb activity in 4 turns.

I approve of Alpha...fortune favors the bold..

Thanks for the post, Chillaxation.

I have a question about contingency plans. I.e. what if we get site Alpha, but someone else settles near site Beta? We're not really geared up for war at the moment so I don't think capturing the city is realistic in the short/medium term.
However, maybe we could settle north of site beta (or, if the other city is placed to the north, then we could settle to the south and cut off the other city).

Alternatively, we could settle site beta first and run the risk of losing the gems. This isn't good, but would at least leave us with a compact (and more defendable) empire.

A third option would be to try and ensure neither of these scenarios happened and to chop rush or use the whip to produce a fifth settler and get both these city sites.

A settler WILL be produced next turn chat, so should a poll be posted before it's too late?

I will post a poll soon, but could someone post a small summary and a screenie name of all sites being considered in the Censor thread. Thanks

Top Bottom