Next time you travel, remember to pack your brain

While I am the first one to concur that this lady is as dumb as dumb can get, this here is a great thread to shed some light to the question "What would have happened if this had happened in USA", made many times in the thread "Brazil's cruzade against tourism?"

Regards :).

I belive terrorist will be perfectly ok with bottles of alcohol that are far more affective then nail-clippers when it comes to stabing people. Or a mirror, or a glass sculpture and some tape and a handel.

Could someone please explain what is so dangerous with a nail-clipper.

yeah, btw, stupied joke... but you got to go with dilbert - anyone not tempted to make a call to someone named jack ;)

It looks like her joke kinda bombed.

(hey, someone had to say it)

Originally posted by vonork
Could someone please explain what is so dangerous with a nail-clipper.

The planes that crashed into the Pentagon, Western PA and the WTC were taken over with 'weapons' that most people didn't think could be used as weapons. Sure, everyone knows you can use a razor blade to cut someone, but there are more effective ways to do it.

Now, people are looking at things and saying, "Can this hurt me?" A long list of items that could conceivably be made into weapons was put on the list. A lot, IMHO, don't deserve to be there.

Now, I'm not going to say it's stupid. (I shouldn't have to :rolleyes:) People do silly things when they panic. One hopes that most of these items will be taken off the list. But one also realizes that the chance of that is roughly the same as a snowball's in hell.

Originally posted by Brewster
It looks like her joke kinda bombed.

(hey, someone had to say it)

Boo! Boo! Hiss! Hiss!

Does anyone else but me wonder why there are no signs at the airports that joking is forbidden?

Is common sense really that rare in the world today?? :rolleyes:

Come on ! If someone asks you : "Wait Airport Security ! Do you have a bomb on you" Wouldn't you have the temptation to answer : "Of course I do ! I'm a dangerous terrorist and that's why I'm confessing to a policeman I have a bomb on me !"

That makes me think of the little paper we have to feel in the plane when we go to the US. I guess americans don't know it but seriously it's hilarious ! Questions are :
"Are you a dangerous terrorist who want to destroy America ? [] Yes [] No
Are you a drug dealer importing drugs in the USA ?
[] Yes [] No
Are you a dangerous murderer fleeing the justice of your country ?
[] Yes [] No
etc..."

Tell me what's the purpose of that thing ? Is it to defend American paper printing industry ?

I am not sure of it, but once I heard that if someone don't lie when enter the USA, than such person cannot be deported later, no matter what he/she has done.

If that is true, than there is a purpose, so no one can rely on the technicality "no one asked, so I didn't lie".

Not sure of it, though...

Regards :).

Originally posted by Marla_Singer
Come on ! If someone asks you : "Wait Airport Security ! Do you have a bomb on you" Wouldn't you have the temptation to answer : "Of course I do ! I'm a dangerous terrorist and that's why I'm confessing to a policeman I have a bomb on me !"

That makes me think of the little paper we have to feel in the plane when we go to the US. I guess americans don't know it but seriously it's hilarious ! Questions are :
[] Yes [] No
[] Yes [] No
etc..."

Tell me what's the purpose of that thing ? Is it to defend American paper printing industry ?

I believe its for legal purposes if you do turn out be some sort of criminal. What purposes exactly, I don't know.

By the way, the last few times I've flown around the country, and out of it, I did see signs warning against joking about the possession of dangerous material.

Originally posted by Pontiuth Pilate
Not as bad as the poor fool in the latest Dilbert [ie, Dilbert himself] who decided to phone up his friend Jack in midflight :lol:

True story:

About a decade ago, my parents and my aunt were taking a domestic flight at a US airport. They had some heavy bags which my dad was doing ok carrying, but my aunt (who had rarely flown before, and was a bit of a socially clueless retiree anyway) walked around the lobby of the airport with her arm up like she was hailing a cab calling "Skyjack... skyjack..." Amazingly, a skycap did come over, and security didn't drag her away to have a discussion.

It was stupid, yes. But it was still nothing but a really bad joke. These things happen, always have, always will...

Jail? Just as stupid. She is not a threat to anything or anyone but herself.

Fine? Nah, stupid people will remain stupid no matter how much you fine them.

A slap on the fingers? Yes.

Originally posted by Zamecnik

I believe its for legal purposes if you do turn out be some sort of criminal. What purposes exactly, I don't know.

By the way, the last few times I've flown around the country, and out of it, I did see signs warning against joking about the possession of dangerous material.

Exactly, I think it's so that if they do catch you with drugs or some such that they can add on a charge of filing false paperwork or the like and perhaps the two charges combined will make you eligible for another crime of conspiracy to commit ___ as well.

As a side benefit, they can also catch the dumb-as-a-rock ones just with the form. :lol:

Well, then I've committed a double crime when I've imported Moroccan Haschich in the US few years ago. :rolleyes: Well, anyway, I haven't been arrested and my friend was glad to discover what we were smocking in Europe. :p

there were aboslutely none, jsut the most arrogant impolite a-hole witha strong mexican accent as an immigrations officer at JFK when I flew into NY last summer.

and none again at LaGuardia, Salt Lake City airport, Yellowstone Regional, Salt Lake City and JFK on return.

oops!

I think, that as long as airport security marshals can't make the difference between a joke and a real thread, they do a poor job.

If a cop can't tell the difference between a real gun and a fake one, he's doing a poor job. Bull. You present yourself as a threat, and you deal with the consequences. Whether its pulling a cap gun on a cop or telling security that you have a bomb. And you remember also, the fool didn't just do it once, she repeated her "joke" at least 2 more times to other officials. She made herself a threat, and was handled accordingly.

I can't remember for last summer but I just flew (about three weeks ago) Boston/Logan to Holland and there was definitely a sign. Also, New York/JFK to Haiti and there was also a sign. Perhaps its fairly recent.

I can't remember for last summer but I just flew (about three weeks ago) Boston/Logan to Holland and there was definitely a sign. Also, New York/JFK to Haiti and there was also a sign. Perhaps its fairly recent.

well, I do hope they have some now that a jetlagged and tired transatlantic passenger cans ee in time.

Originally posted by Marla_Singer
[] Yes [] No
[] Yes [] No
etc..."

What happens if you cheak ONE of them with YES or perhaps ALL of them as yes... ;)

Jail me for life?

And what if I'm a drug dealer but not importing drugs at this flight?

Originally posted by vonork

What happens if you cheak ONE of them with YES or perhaps ALL of them as yes... ;)

Jail me for life?

And what if I'm a drug dealer but not importing drugs at this flight?

Just a guess here, but they probably send you back from whence you came until you smarten up and check them all as No, after first checking you out and making sure your answers are incorrect.

Top Bottom