1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Next turn - 1570ad

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Jayne, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

1510ad - Made recommended alterations.
    Elysium silk delivered to Delhi $360 +$0/turn

V.cat and archer approach Hladir fort
    P.knights approach bactra fort
    I.cat approaches IW

1520ad - WLTC cancelled in MM, FT, MT, Neuma. WLTC in Oct.
    Ebor builds dip, starts van. Uppsala builds silk van (for RC?). Dell builds hides van, starts another. IW builds musket, starts dip.

NUF population exceeds 8,000,000

Archer blocking path to Trondhiem. Bribe for $544.

RC wine delivered to Arbela $275 +$0/turn

IPRB: MD, FA, LB

Sneak attack by vikings! They lose 2 knights to our musket, and their cat to our new archer.
    Persian knight attacks musket. Musket wins and is promoted to vet. 2nd knight withdraws.

1530ad - Leo's upgrades archer to musket. NUF discover Sanitation. Start Democracy - no other options given!

WLTC cancelled in YD, GG, Civ, Mord

MT builds dip, starts van.

Trondheim attack: Cannon beats pike, cannon beats archer (promoted to vet), dragoon beats legion (promoted), musket walks in Trondheim. Capture Lighthouse and Oracle. Get $164, barracks and walls.

Vikings req audience. They request CF. We refuse, but senate over-rule. Ditto with peace. Our troops want to carry on, but risk fall of Government. Check Oedo year - 1540ad :D
    Incite revolt in Kaupang for $656. Vikings declare war, and activate alliance with the Spanish. Government falls. We get $145, granary, walls, 2x legions, 2x pike. Vikings speak again. We refuse CF. Our dragoons beat a cat and a legion.

Unload engineer at North Boreum Isle. Find hut. Reload engineer on boat and unload musket to pop hut next time. Find another hut North of Gordium. Pop with dip - HAMBURG - size 2, granary, temple, market. Start eng. Leave musket in city.

IPRB: NB

Many Elvii hired.

V. knight attacks dragoon and wins. Spanish and Russians sign alliance against us. Another knight approaches Bactra fort. Indian knight lands near CS.

1540ad - TF builds market, starts van. RC builds dip, starts ADAMs. 8 vans sacrificed. LC builds caravel, starts van.

NUF is a republic again. Sack Elvii.

Aarhus revolts for $296. Get $96, barracks, 2x pike

Pop hut SE of Gordium. Barbs! Jump back on boat. New island to the north. Find another hut.

RC silk arrives in Delhi $360 +$0

Vikings ask for audience. We refuse, but senate signs treaty. Try to provoke attack - fail.

Musket pops hut - PRAGUE - size 2, temple, market. Start van.

IPRB: GG, Neuma, BF

Indians ask us to withdraw troops from near Bombay.

1550ad - Capricornium builds engineer, starts van. Hips builds coal van, starts van. Rout builds eng, starts dip. FA builds coal van, starts van. MD builds aqua, starts van. RC builds ADAMs, start sewer.

Civil disorder in DS, BB, Aarhus.
    WLTC: CS, NO, LC, Civ, MD, Elys, RC, Trond

Meet with Vikings to try to provoke war. They ask us to declare war on the Indians, we refuse. They ask for Gunpowder, we refuse. They decide to spare us!!! We insist they remove their troops. WAR!!! :D

Bribe Lindholm for $276. Get $97, barracks, archer, legion.
    Bribe Westness for $192. Get $50, pike, archer.

Rehome LC silver in Elys (for Dell?)

Pop hut NE of Gordium - SALZBURG - size4, temple.

Barbs attack Gordium, protected by phalanx. Russians and Persians sign alliance against us.

1560ad - WLTC in DS, BB, Aarhus, Ren
    WLTC cancelled: Oct
    Civil disorder in Melam, Lind

NB builds silk van, starts van. Neuma builds copper van (for Elys?), starts aqua. BL builds salt van, starts van.

Leos upgrade archers, pikes and legions to muskets. Discover Democracy. Choose Conscription over physics and theology.

NUF population exceeds 9,000,000

Indians request audience. Cordial. Ask for gunpowder, refuse. They decide to spare us.

Rehome NB silk in RC for India, Routs silk in Elys for India, Dell hides in Elys for Calcutta.

New Octavia engineer settles on 3 special site.

Viking ferry near Jarrow. This means Vikings have at least 2 cities. Land dip. Vikings request audience. Senate sign CF.

Deliver RC silk to Delhi $300 +$0/turn

Persian cat attacks, and loses.

1570 - WLTC Melam, Lind
    WLTC cancelled Civ, MD
    Civil disorder Westness, Upps

BF builds salt van, starts van

I wanted to play a bit further and eliminate the Vikings, but I ran out of time. I'll play Friday unless it's thought we could play Monday aswell.

We have $1809 (enough for Antioch and Marco's?)
    Next Oedo year is 1580ad.
    We need a new set of science goals.

Aonia Boreum Scandinavia Islands New Cities Viking

2. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Citizens, I wish to report we have engaged and prospered. Marvelous, My Queen. :goodjob:
    • 9,650,000 Population with 5 Aquaducts
    • Size=12 Cities: RC, Elysium, Reneaux, need Sewers
    • Trondheim captured & Kaupang Aarus Lindholm Westness
    • Adam Smith built nicely, Elysium Sewer 44/120 in 11
    • Two New Cities on Far North Boreum Isle
    • Treasury $1809 gold ready to shop, 20,30,50%
    • 21 Explosive Engineers everywhere +7 building :)
    • 10 Vans +21, 24 Dips +6, 56 Musket+6, 11.Dragoons+1
    • Researching Conscription, know Sanitation & Democracy
    • Need Theology & Bach next - ASAP
    • Indian infestation at Watcher and Cymru Straits
    • Perhaps no city on the Isle SW of Elysium
    • PRB Sewers Elysium & RC? Aquaduct Neuma? Next?
    Researching Conscription (due in 2 turns), 43 known: Alphabet, Astronomy, Banking, Bridge, Bronze, CBurial, Chemistry, Chivalry, CodeLaws, Construction, Currency, Democracy, Economics, Engineering, Explosives, Feudalism, GunPowder, HBR, Invention, Iron Working, Leadership, Literacy, Map Making, Masonry, Mathematics, Medicine, Metallurgy, Monarchy, Monotheism, Mysticism, Navigation, Philosophy, Polytheism, Pottery, Republic, Sanitation, Seafaring Harbors, Gravity, Trade, University, WarrCode, Wheel and Writing.

I must study the Queen's report and the download.

3. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

It was a tough choice between Conscription and Theology, but as we are under attack plus we need time to switch to Democracy and amass vans for Bach's I went for Conscription. Tough if you don't agree!! :lol:

4. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

WOW!!!! These turns were great Jayne!
    We received 3 cities for free. How lucky can one get. :D
    I'm also quite pleased with the barbs that appeared from that hut, I want to see the saved file to check how many appeared, we should send a diplo there ASAP to bribe us an army. 82 gold per unit, cheap!!!!
    With a few more engineers coming from the mainland we must almost be able to completely settle all the islands there right? Can't wait to get home now and check out the game. ;)

About settling the newly discovered lands: we need to decide what to do. There basically are 2 options:
    1) Build as many cities as possible (fill the islands up, don't care about the overlap of the cities)
    2) Just occupy the islands (build a few big cities without any overlap, just grab the land before the AI does)

Shall I make a poll for this this weekend? I can also make a settlement-plan for the new territories.

5. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I just noticed the uploaded maps. I thought the Vikings had one city left on their home continent but we've got all their cities there, this is great! Now we don't have to worry about sneak attacks or anything.
    Those last 2 cities will be cheap: they can't be very big and they don't have a capitol anymore. I'm afraid we can't attack them this turn anymore. When we land a diplo next to Jorvik it can't bribe anymore as it must land on wood or glacier. They will most likely not be very eager to get into a war against us so luring them into a war will be quite impossible. Let's get some units there: wait a few turns until the year before the next oedo year and then put a musketeer and diplo on their doorstep and bribe.

It's a good thing they were allied with the Spanish, now we can bribe some of their cities too! :D

6. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Three barb knights were unleased. They headed straight for Gordium and started commiting suicide!

With the Vikings, I think Jarrow will be near the road we can see. I think get units landed there, and keep a dip on a boat. We take Jarrow then bribe Jorvik straight from the boat (as I did with Westness). That way, the Vikings can't try and contact us as we approach and the Senate can't over-rule refusal of peace!

Then, we pick our next victim! :lol: We have lots of units in Scandinavia ready to go!

7. GaryNemo

1570AD Status of the NUF Republic - 1809 gold 20,30,50%

1550AD Built Adam Smith of REGIA CIVITAS

Beautiful attack, My Queen! But the distant Huts all turned out to be Advanced Tribes :( :eek: We could rehome some of the many captured Viking Muskets; and we have one new None Musket, nice. We can learn of Theology and build Bach soon, switch to Democracy, so I'm beginning to plan for that - Uppsala could use a Market.

Civ1 will plan the islands, a blessing. Hopefully our Science Advisor will permit us to approve Theology Bach, and our Foreign Advisor will post a nice poll so we can focus our Grand Armies on a new foe - which one?

Please approve PRB of $420 on 4 vital improvements listed below. We don't need much time to build Bach's and switch to Democracy. Corruption is now 146 !

Delhi demand: Silk! Silver Salt /Dye /Copper ("Not Copper"), Madras same: Silver Silk & Dye /Copper. Lahore: Gems Dye /Silk /Silver. No flow of Vans moving thru India. The Indians are merely Cordial, and menacing.

1570 AD Status: 9,650,000 people in 52! cities.   1809.gold   With Download Changes: 2.Scientist 15.Elvis!, disorder in Uppsala & Westness, good celebrations. 20,30,50%
    F5 $137 -19, Sci 424 in 4 turns. F11 Mfg=307!, Family Size=4.0   NUF is vanquishing our enemies, again sweeping #1 in Population, Manufacturing, Land Area and Productivity, and up to #3 in Family Size.

Elysium FAQ: Size=12, disaster in 6, 9 Happy +2.Content +Scientist
      Trade 58 - Corruption 5, Tax 18 + Lux 25 + Beakers 192

1510 AD Status: 7,770,000 people in same 43 cities.   1541.gold   With Download Changes: 5.Scientist 5.Elvis, good celebrations.   Actual 20,30,50% F5 $113 -46, Sci 412 in 4 turns. F11 Mfg=254, Family Size=3.8   NUF is ahead of our enemies, again sweeping #1 in Population, Manufacturing, Land Area and Productivity, but again #6 in Family Size.

Elysium FAQ: Size=12, grows in 12, 8 Happy +3.Content +Scientist
      Trade 58 - Corruption 5, Tax 18 + Lux 25 + Beakers 192
    Elysium 1400: Size=9, grows in 8, 7 Happy +1.Content +Scientist
      Trade 49 - Corruption 4, Tax 15 + Lux 22 + Beakers 162

1000 AD Status: 2,268,000 people, in 34 cities. 379 gold, For comparison at 20,20,60% 1.Scientist 1.Elvis, Many.Celebrations, only 1.Disorder (FA tragedy). F5 $59 -18, Sci 224 in 5.turns. F11 Mfg=158 (loss of Coal Mine), Family Size=5.2   NUF is exploding ahead of our dangerous enemies, sweeping #1 in Pop, Mfg, Land, Productivity and Family Size.
    940AD Formed Republic Government: 1750,000 pop in 34 cities.

Download Changes and Quick Observations:
    REGIA CIVITAS=12: Scientist, serf to Plains, Sewer PRB $164 in 2
    Elysium: PRB $112 Sewer in 3, then Bank?
    Civvium: forest to ocean, Silver Van in 1, Celeb, st Sewer!
    TFalls: forest to ocean, Celebrates, Van in 6, then Aquaduct?

Gabba Gabba: Van in 1, Gold Wine Silk? Needs Road Irrg Freeze=4
    Bedfont Lakes: forest to irrg plains, grows in 5
    Beast Flats: forest to irrg plains, grows in 9
    Penguin: Van 47/50 IPRB $6 in 2, Silk, then Van.
    Cold Front: grows in 2, Celebrates? Irrg!?
    Frozen Toe: Dip in 2, then Engr or Market?
    Dur Sharrukin: Engr in 2? Disaster? sw to Van?

Marl Downs: forest to ocean, Celebrates, Van in 7, Sewer
    York Downs: War Musket in 4, then Harbor!?
    Mordhiemia: serf to plains road, Market in 23
    Octavia: Engr 16/40 in 6, then Temple finally?
    Ebor: Van in 4. Silk or Beads, then what?
    Melampyrum: Temple in 3, then what?
    Triticum: Elvis Fish Grass, Celebrates, Engr in 4, then?
    Capricornium: Fish to Road, Van or Engr?
    Bactra: forest to Grass so Food+1, Musket vs Cats?

Reneaux: PRB $34 Market in 2, Irrg, then $$Sewer!
    Dellham: Van IPRB $6 in 5 Silk, then Van?
    Monks Towne: Van 19/50 IPRB $4 in 6, Dye, Market?
    Neuma: PRB $110 Aquaduct in 4
    Hipsheim: Frozen!!! Van in 5 w $4, Dye or Copper? Mine.
    Mulled Mine: Temple in 3, Celebrates, needs Irrg. Van?
    Castle Jayne: RB Market $42, Aquaduct? Engr?
    Legendary: serf to Irrg, Van 18/50 IPRB $11 in 4, Aquaduct
    Indian Watcher: CJ Engr Irrg town's forest.

Skara: Road, sw Dip to Temple in 39 (N!!)
    Routskilde: Dip in 3, then Courthouse? Van?
    Banana Bay: Temple in 1, Celebrating, then Dip?
    Udal: Guard? Musket in 1, then forest to ocean, Van?
    Lone Bison: Harbor in 3, then Temple?
    Lindow Moss: grows in 5, then celebrates?
    Uppsala: iron to ocean, Engr in 1, then Market?
    Viborg: Dip in 1, then Dip? Engr? Too big?
    Eriksson: Temple in 4, then Dip? Road!
    Hladir Granary: Engr in 1, then another Engr, please.
    Trondheim: Musket in 2, then Temple! Sell barracks?
    Kaupang: Musket? Huh? switch to Temple in 7, then Engr
    Aarhus: sw Van to Temple in 40
    Lindholm Silk: Elvis, sw Van to Temple 0/40 in 40?
    Westness: 2 Muskets Elvis, sw Dip to Temple in 20!

Hamburg Gran Temp Market: Engr $4 in 4, then ?
    Prague: ???
    Salzburg: Musket in 3, then Engr? then Temple?

Note that although we have "Discoveries in 4 Turns", due to Caravan deliveries our rate is much higher than that. We discovered both Sanitation and Democracy in the past 6 turns.

-GaryNemo, your Domestic Advisor.

8. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Do we need to sell the barracks? iirc it's not costing us anything to keep it.

9. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I'll wait to see if Octavian posts overnight, otherwise I'll post something as his deputy sometime tomorrow (in between doing birthday stuff:D)

10. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

:goodjob: Congratulations on a successful war with the vikings
    I think the maintenance for barracks increase every time they become obsolete, i.e. 1g in the beginning, 2g after gunpowder, and 3g after mobile warfare. So they cost 2g each, making up almost 1/3 of total maintenance.:(
    Our reputation is very bad, do we care at all or shall we try to better it a bit? I don't like having a bad reputation because no one wants to do something with you (sharing maps or techs).
    I think we should give whatever money they weant in Elysium, for sewers, harbors, colloseums... I think we should also make that scientist work, we'll still get the same amount of beakers:)

11. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Yes, barracks are costing us 2 gold right now.

Reputation isn't going to do us much good from this point on. Since we are clearly ahead of the AI civ's, they will start to fight us no matter what. But, what you said is true, if we want to try and get things like maps, then it matters, somewhat. If we so choose, some quick gifts of techs can improve how they feel about us long enough to get a map.

12. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

I was going to reply that barracks only cost 1g no matter the age until I saw Duke's post. Perhaps I'm incorrect? If that city can become a good unit producer than I say keep it anyway. With Adam's and our strong economy the maintenance is a small matter, even at 2 or 3 gold.

Well played, my Queen. You did well with the pesky Senate.

13. GaryNemo

Caravans for Bach and Trade 1570AD

Delhi demand: Silk! Silver Salt /Dye /Copper ("Not Copper"), Madras same: Silver Silk & Dye /Copper. Lahore: Gems Dye /Silk /Silver. No flow of Vans moving thru India. Reneaux has 35 trade, Civvium 25 trade. Civ demands Coal Wine Dye. Ren demands Copper & Wine.
    Gems & Gold are always best, then Wine Silk Silver Spice, then Salt Coal Copper & Dye.

We have 10 Vans and 21 in production, that need frequent IPRB $11.

RC Silk in RC, BFL Salt near.
    Beast Salt in Beast w Caravel.
    Ely Silk & Hides in Elysium.
    Near CJ: Ely Silver, Hips Coal, Neuma Copper, FA Coal.
    Near DH is Upps Silk.

Civvium: serf ocean, Silver Van in 1, Celeb, st Sewer!
    TFalls: serf ocean, Celebrates, Gems Van in 6, Aquaduct?
    Gabba Gabba: Wine Van 49/50 in 1, then Van.
    Penguin: Van 37/50 IPRB $6 in 2, Silk, then Van.
    Eboracum: Van in 4. Silk or Beads, then what?

That is 14 vans, 8 for Bach and 6 trade. Seems we can ship Elysium Silk now, and RC Silk soon to India.

Keep the worthless Hides, Salt, everything else to build Bach. Ferry Beast Van W W and drop on Road, dash back for Penguin Van. Perhaps the GG Wine, rehome Elysium and deliver to Civvium demand? And the Silver Vans? Greed leads me to suggest they walk to RC, rehome there, then back to India. But perhaps Civvium can ship its own Silver to India, and the Ely Silver near CJ walk back to RC. Valuable TFalls Gems, rehome RC and sail all the way to Lahore.   Comments?

14. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Barracks cost 1 gold up until gunpowder, then 2 gold until, what, Mobile Warfare?, then 3 gold after that.

15. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

At last, we have dealt with the Viking pest. These following years will be truly great ones!

About an FA poll, I'll get to work on it right away. To whom shall we turn our agressive tendancies?

16. GaryNemo

Civilopedia on Lighthouse: All new ships produced are Veteran. Effects expire with the discovery of Magnetism.

Magnetism is coming soon. Want to build a Vet Ironclad or two? Then we need Steam Engine. Or will we get Electricity Destroyers (and loose Vet status) too soon to bother?

17. GaryNemo

City Build Qs - 1570AD

Here is a huge number of decisions...
    Any Musket not finished in 1 turn will likely become a Rifle.

REGIA CIVITAS=12: Sewer PRB $164 in 2, then Harbor? Bank? Colosseum?
    Elysium: PRB $112 Sewer in 3, then Harbor? -POLLED
    Civvium: forest to ocean, Silver Van in 1, Celeb, Sewer. (N)
    TFalls: forest to ocean, Celebrates, Van in 6, then Van? Engr? /Aquaduct?
    Gabba Gabba: Van in 1, Gold Wine Silk? then Van?
    Penguin: Van 37/50 IPRB $6 in 2, Silk, then Van.
    Frozen Toe: Dip in 2, then Engr or Market?
    Dur Sharrukin: Engr in 2? Disaster? sw to Van?

York Downs: War Musket in 4? sw to Caravel? then Harbor!?
    Octavia: Engr 16/40 in 6, then Temple finally?

Ebor: Van in 4. Silk or Beads, then what?
    Melampyrum: Temple in 3, then what?
    Triticum: Elvis Fish Grass, Celebrates, Engr in 4, then?
    Capricornium: Fish to Road, Van or Engr?
    Bactra: sw Van to Dip 31/30 in 1 (or Musket?), st Temple?

Reneaux: PRB $34 Market in 2, Irrg, then $$Sewer! -POLLED
    Dellham: sw to Dip? or Van IPRB $6 in 5 Silk, then Van?
    Monks Towne: Van 19/50 IPRB $4 in 6, Dye, Engr?
      an Engr must Build a City, else another Van...
    Neuma: PRB $110 Aquaduct in 4 -POLLED
    Fort Anarchy: sw Van to Dip in 3?
    Mulled Mine: Temple in 3, Celebrates, needs Irrg. Van?
    Castle Jayne: RB Market $42? Engr? Van? /Aquaduct?
    Legendary: Van 18/50 IPRB $11 in 4, Van? /Aquaduct?
    Cymru Straits: sw Van to Dip in 2?

Skara: Road, sw Dip to Temple in 39 (N!!)
    Routskilde: Dip in 3, then Courthouse? Van? Engr?

Banana Bay: Temple in 1, Celebrating, then Dip?
    Udal: Guard? Musket in 1, then forest to ocean, Van?
    Lone Bison: Harbor in 3, then Temple?
    Lindow Moss: sw Van to Dip in 6?
    Uppsala: iron to ocean, Engr in 1, then Market?
    Viborg: Dip in 1, then Dip? Engr? Too big?
    Eriksson: Temple in 4, then Dip? Road!
    Hladir Granary: Engr in 1, then another Engr, please.
    Trondheim: Musket in 2? Rifle? then Temple! Sell barracks?
    Kaupang: sw Musket to Dip in 3!   Then Temple (N)
    Aarhus: sw Van to Temple in 40
    Lindholm Silk: Elvis, sw Van to Temple 0/40 in 40?
    Westness: 2 Muskets Elvis, sw Dip to Temple in 20!

Hamburg Granary Temple Market: Engr $4 in 4, then ?
    Prague: ???
    Salzburg: Musket in 3, then Engr? then Temple?

How to poll? By number of Dips? Anything else interesting?

18. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I was going to play Friday, but it looks like we may be ready to play Wednesday. I'll play as many turns as I can, as I can't play again untill the following Wednesday.

19. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

Wednesday is fine with me. The more Civ, the better. ;)

20. GaryNemo

Engineers 1570AD

Civvium and TFalls are fine, but REGIA CIVITAS needs irrigation - start with the Grass SW of RC. Road on Plains S of LN. Irrg Plains 2SE of LN. Then send one Engr to Irrg a bit for Elysium. Keep the None here for BFL, RC and Civ - it's safe here. Elysium is not safe - keep Muskets and Dragoons in Elysium.

Irrg for Neuma & Reneaux. Roads then Irrg for Marl Downs. Irrg for YD and Ebor -- Ebor builds Van then an Engr.

Not sure about the rest of them. Legendary City could Celebrate and grow with Aquaduct, but I don't think we can afford it and all the other Sewers and Banks. It would be nice to build more Engineers and more cities, such as on the Island SW of Elysium, but that Indian Catapult is still there.

Indian Watcher: CJ Engr Irrg town's forest (N!)
    Another mine for Hips & FA, shared spot N NW of Hips.

Frozen Toe: Irrg 2SW of CF for CF, then
      leave 2 Forest & Irrg forest SW of CF

Hladir new Engr: Road and Build City S2 (see plan P?)

I wish I had more time for this. Go ahead and move, tho. Tomorrow I will be away visiting the University of Elysium, and unable to post until very late or Thursday morning. -Domestic Advisor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.