Not open for further replies.
We have 4 full transports:

Transport One: East of Granada

1 Cavalry
1 Artillery
2 Veteran Spies
2 Regular Spies
1 Cannon

This transport should probably land between Odessa and Novogorod, attacking those two cities, then proceeding inland.

Transport 2: Two Tiles South of Cordoba

2 Veteran Cavalries
4 Spies
1 Veteran Spy

This transport should drop off a veteran cavalry or both and a veteran spy to take out Tbilisi. The rest of the units should proceed to land between St. Petersburg, Sverdlovosk, and Minsk, in the bay there.

Transport 3: 1 Tile West of Transport 2

2 Veteran Cavalries
2 Veteran Spies
2 Regular Spies

This transport should land near Kiev, Minsk and Smolensk, taking those three cities and then proceeding east.

Transport 4: 2 Tiles SE of Bilbao

1 Spy

There are two spies and a cannon near Bilbao that this transport should pick up. Then the transport should proceed to land between Moscow or Kiev, or simply support one of the other transport landings.

That is all for the Russian front, as for the Persian front, we should just try to hold our ground, attacking when we have enough units. However, as Russia is the bigger threat, we should divert most of our forces to the Russian front.

Also, I don't mean to be impatient or rude, but will I ever get the chance to name or rename a city?

Whoa! The Indians are all gone, ditto the Spanish.

Transports loaded with Cavalry and Spies are approaching Russia. Go get'em, Civ1 ! :)

Could we attack in such a way, that they can not get techs from us? That is always my worry. -Chicken Little

Sorry, I hadn't checked the save. I will look at the save and find a good attack plan. :)

New attack plan posted above.

could we get screen shots, please? I browse this forum at work where I don't have Civ loaded and can't view the save game, so I rely on screen shots to keep track of where things are and what's going on.

OK, when I get home from school I will make a an SC detailing the attack plan. That will be in about 3 and a half hours.

Since Naervod started discussion an attack plan, I thought I’d try to make some suggestions. If I’m stepping out of line by questioning the military advisor, please let me know. I don’t want to rock the boat. Just thought I'd add my $.02 to the discussion.

I’m not sure of some things like what is the Russian capital, what’s their science level, how much gold do they have(affecting price of revolts, and their ability to relocate capital) and their defenses (an embassy would be useful) but I made some educated guesses. I haven’t gone and figured all the cities that would need to change production, but this is a high level plan that I think you could work from.

Just to make this clear ahead of time, I believe in overkill. If we’re going for conquest we should focus on conquest. No half measures! To do that you want offensive weapons, spies and cash. We’re beyond the point of worrying about improving our civilization. It’s strong enough as it is now.

I think if we put a focused effort against the Russians, we should be able to wipe them out with little effort, but I don’t think we should just throw those transports at them yet. I’m not sure what their exact technology situation is, but I see them with a dragoon near Granada, so I assume they have at least gunpowder. It looks like many of their cities are walled, including Moscow (which I assume is the capital – our primary target – need to verify with an embassy) so it would probably not be in our best interest to throw just a handful of cavalry at them. Use overwhelming force. As I said before we’re better off if we avoid half measures.

First order of business is getting robotics – Howies have 2 moves, ignrore walls and are virtually unstoppable. Total beakers needed for this tech is 2800 and we have 1705 in the bank so we only need a little less than 1100 more to learn Robotics. After that we should be able to shut down science and concentrate our resources on VICTORY. Setting the tax slider down to 40 science this turn should still give us more than enough beakers to complete Robotics with plenty to spare for an unforeseen problem. (Sack the Elvi in Elysium and you’ll get even more). The benefit is that by bumping the gold up to 30 % this turn will give us another couple hundred gold this turn while still reaching our research goals.

Then it’s time to focus on the win: next turn I suggest we shut science off completely and put all non-luxury taxes to Gold. Robotics should be plenty advanced to take out any other civ left in this game unless someone is closer to us than I think. Fire all the Einsteins and make them Bean Counters. We should be earning a couple thousand gold every turn. Take that money and IRB Howitzers and some armor in any city remotely near Russia and Persia. Send the transports to ports that those cities can reach and gather up the Howies and armors. Don’t wait for the cities to build with sheilds– use gold to finish the units in a turn (unless there is an opportunity for IPRBing the unit). Disband relatively useless units to seed production and avoid the double-cost of rushing the first 30 shields if possible. Disband things like Artillery, Cannons, Cavalry, etc. that are no longer state-of-the art where you can to save cost on the good stuff.

Regroup the strike forces with most of the attacking units (Howies and armor) near Moscow. Perhaps gather some from the west in Frontierland. Pay full price to incite Tblisi and assemble some of the forces from India and the East there. When the force is gathered, get a precharged engineer in one of the transports with those offensive 2 or 3 move units and go to Moscow. Unload the Engineer onto one of the squares next to Moscow and build a fort to protect our strike force. Then unload our units into the fort. Make sure you include a couple armor (not just howitzers) to provide defense for the fort. After unloading, the howitzers should use their remaining turn to attack the city. If they aren’t able to capture the city the first turn, the fort and Armors should protect them from any counter attack. They can then try again the next round.

Meanwhile the other transports can be shuttling the spies around near the other Russian cities. Once the capital is gone, we just incite them on the cheap like we did to India. Use the remaining Howies and armors to clear a path through to the inland cities.

Like I said, I believe in overkill. Leave little possibility of failure. I think this is a rough plan that, while it certainly leaves a lot of details out, should be more than sufficient to take out the Russians with minimal casualties.

I almost completely agree with you Tim and don't think you were going out of line, in fact we like to have citizen input on these matters. I was planning for the attack plan I gave above to be a preliminary attack plan, with more forces supplementing the initial wave as time goes on.

I am Enchanted with that Plan. I agree domestic development is no longer necessary, just a frill. The Embassy, Howitzers & Armor, the precharged Engineer, and many other inciteful strategies as well. Perhaps some Freight to raise even more cash for our Spies.

A steady flow of Howitzers, Armor, Spies and Cash.

That will be done!
But remember: If Moscow is the capitol it's at the seafront and we've got a few destroyers and cruisers nearby so my plan is to bombard the town from the sea and then let the cavalry finish it off.
Then bribe all cities in one turn. The advantage of this is that all partisans that arise when you bribe a city will be gone at the end of the turn as their civ is gone. :D
I didn't even know this would happen but sure hoped it would when I bribed all Indian cities in one turn. If the partisans would have stayed we would have been f**ked, from each city 3-4 partisans arose...

Originally posted by naervod
Also, I don't mean to be impatient or rude, but will I ever get the chance to name or rename a city?
Sure you'll get a city named after you, how does Naervodia sound to you? ;) Maybe you have another idea for a cityname...

I'm sure Moscow is the capital. It was when we had Marco's and it didn't move whilst I was President. Iirc it tells you when they move capitol even if you've no contact with them. We will know soon anyway because we have a spy ready to establish an embassy on the next turn.

Originally posted by civ1-addict
That will be done!
But remember: If Moscow is the capitol it's at the seafront and we've got a few destroyers and cruisers nearby so my plan is to bombard the town from the sea and then let the cavalry finish it off.
Then bribe all cities in one turn. The advantage of this is that all partisans that arise when you bribe a city will be gone at the end of the turn as their civ is gone. :D
I didn't even know this would happen but sure hoped it would when I bribed all Indian cities in one turn. If the partisans would have stayed we would have been f**ked, from each city 3-4 partisans arose...
I guess i didn't look around enough, I didn't see cruisers nearby. That should do the trick as well. I also didn't realize they had the techs for partisans. I could be wrong, but doesn't this require Guerilla warfare, which requires tactics which requires conscription which requies DEMOCRACY? If they are this far along, it might make it tough to use spies to capture the cities!

Tim, thanks for stepping in and generating discussion :goodjob: An excellent plan, as well. If we are that close to robotics, then by all means wait for Howies. MUCH more effective than Cavalry. Do the Russians have a rail system? If not, we might want to include a stack or two of three engineers to build rails to their inland cities. If the terrain is flat, three engineers can build a rail in one turn, negating the need to build a fort because your howies can move right next to the city with two moves still left to them--two attacks if not too damaged on the first one.

As for dropping science *completely* I'm not quite sure I want to go that far. Howies are great, but the other civs are still researching. If any are very close in techs, we may want stealth down the road.

Partisans are a nuisance (and they increase the likelihood of contact/senate interferance) but a Democracy government would be the bigger buzz-kill. We'd actually have to fight the war! ;)

I guess I will join everyone that compleamented Tim. Good job! Perhaps I should be more partial since I am the science advisor... Oh well. :D

I will agree with Leowind, though. Just because we stop research doesn't mean the AI will. I'd like to see the slider set to 10%-20%. At that rate we'll make discoveries at around 4-7 turns/tech. I'd agree to a no science funding if we kept all current scientist employed.

Also, as a note, Russia is a Republic.

Originally posted by Octavian X
I guess I will join everyone that compleamented Tim. Good job! Perhaps I should be more partial since I am the science advisor... Oh well. :D

I will agree with Leowind, though. Just because we stop research doesn't mean the AI will. I'd like to see the slider set to 10%-20%. At that rate we'll make discoveries at around 4-7 turns/tech. I'd agree to a no science funding if we kept all current scientist employed.

Also, as a note, Russia is a Republic.
Thanks. Setting the slider at 10-20 will still give quite a bit, and keeping the Einsteins is probably also a good idea. Keep in mind, we can still deliver caravans for science as well - we need to give the science advisor something to do. Who knows what he might do all alone in his laboratory with nothing to work on! :mischief: :evil: :nya:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom