Next Turn - 300 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

funxus

Orange Cycloptic Blob
160 AD: Igl and RF switch to Trireme

Make contact with Zulus, demand Phi - we say no, Peace treaty - Receptive

Make contact french, demand Literacy - we say no, we ask for peace - they won't be manipulated:( - Icy

Make contact with Chinese, they demand Literacy - we say no, Peace Treaty - Neutral

Make contact Greeks, They want to trade WC with Phi - we say no, Peace Treaty - Enthusiastic

Pop hut - Ancient Wisdom of Construction (Research up to 8 from 7)

180 AD: Ulundi builds LH
French abandon, rest switch to Oracle
EF builds settler (starts caravan, could switch to Elephant)
Dou builds Copernicu's Observatory (Starts MP) Research down to 6 turns:) (Dou producing 26b)

Western Trireme dicovers hut - a pop-run situation - We're lucky, 100g

Northern Trireme discovers Greek HM

Zulu trireme north of Igl

200 AD: PB caravan (another one)
LP Caravan (settler)
Settler clears jungle in Neu (starts irrigating)

Talk to French (They'd become receptive) - Peace Treaty - Neutral
Discover Lyons

220 AD: Barbarian Trireme moves in without notice and kills our Western Trireme with Dip:eek:

We discover monotheism (start The Republic)

Dou settlers finish Irr (starts roading Silk)

240 AD: French undertake GL
Switch to HM in PB (guard for Dou)

260 AD: Nothing

280 AD: Indians aquire Feudalism
Neu builds Caravan (another one)

Dou grows, unhappy citizen turned into wizard.
PRB to 60s in Dou
PB builds HM guard

RF builds trireme (caravan) - RF settler (finished road betw. LP and EF) moves back to RF

Nae settler starts clearing FW forest

Elephant in Dou needs support in RF (rehomed in Dou)

300 AD: Ipec builds Caravan
Discover Corinth
Found Barbarians Suck (Couldn't have exclamation marks:( )
Igl unhappy due to BS being found

Some things:
There's a trireme in RF with a settler on it, where shall we send it?

The road between LP, EF, Igl, FW and Nae is complete, what to do with the two settlers not having anything to do?

LC is now back on track, not supporting the settler that cost 1s and 1f. Will grow in about 7 turns.

How to solve unhappiness in Igloria?

From which cities shall we get the four remaining Caravans for Mike's? Ipec just built one, Nae and EF ready in two, RF, PB and Neu (produce 5s) just started.

What shall we build in Dou after MP is ready, and what to build in BS?

Should anymore cities switch to settlers? Which?

Discoveries every 5 turns - 68b (38b from Dou)
Income 20g - 10g = 10g/turn

It looks like we could get the maps of the Indians, Greeks, and Aztecs with very little effort.

The Indians are already Enthusiastic, so they may trade maps just by asking. The Greeks and Aztecs will most likely need to be gifted a tech to get them to trade maps. They are so far behind tech wise that we should be able to gift them some fairly worthless tech.

The chinese are also close to being able to trade maps, but they don't have map making yet, so I'd wait until they get that tech to talk with them about exchanging maps.

The Zulus and French would need at least 2 techs to be willing to exchange maps. The Zulus are quite far behind us, so we might be able to give them two usless techs for their map. The French, however, would most likely want somewhat current techs for their map, so I would wait on them as well.

So, I think we can we could get maps of the Indians, Greeks, Aztecs, and Zulus for gifting away 2-4 fairly usless techs.

Getting the Aztec, French and Zulu maps (in that order of priority) would be especially important IMO. I don't think the Indian map is likely to have changed significantly, however they have some techs we are interested in. IW in particular for BB (the Greeks have it too but they are near us and usually aggressive so I'd rather trade with the far away Indians). In addition, the Aztecs are researching Seafaring so we should research BB next and get SF by exchanging techs when the Aztecs get it.

After a quiet period there are some big issues coming up to discuss/decide:

(1) Where to build Mike ? IMO in Dou, Neu or LC. We want Mike ASAP; republic before it is a bad idea but we want republic ASAP.

(2) What to build in our cities, especially in the east. Since the Greeks are neighbors and they are usually aggressive I think we need a far stronger military there. We have only one elephant and one diplomat. Maybe FW should switch to crusaders ?

(3) Igloria is unhappy. We should probably hire an Elvis as a temporay measure. I'd also like to RB the trireme there and immediately send at least one settler to the Aztec continent N/NE of LP (the C5 and C6 city sites). Once we found a city there we can demand and probably get tribute from the Aztecs and maybe the Zulus but this must happen before republic. I suspect the Zulus and the Aztecs are on the same continent. Our chances of getting tribute are improved if we have more military units so adding crusaders (see (2) and (4)) is also a good idea for that reason. Maybe we should also add 2-5 warriors because of this ?

(4) Our defenses in the west are also weak although the situation is better than in the east. We should consider switching to crusaders in both LP and LC. If we build crusaders in LC the archer can go to BS and BS can switch from phalanx to something else.

(5) RF's trireme should leave with the settler there to found C2 or C3 (probably C3).

(6) EF and FW need irrigation.

(7) We need a road between Ipec and Naervana so that the elephant can defend all three cities and be stationed in Ipec. Also we need to irrigate N of Ipec (SE of Nae).

(8) We need to start thinking of which advances/wonders to aim for next now that Cope is ours and we know we'll get Mike. BB and Seafaring are of high priority but to build Ike in Dou we only need University (and I want one in Dou ASAP :D) and Theory of Gravity. Also Bach and Leo would be nice.

(9) We want trade routes in Dou, domestic at first because it takes a much shorter time to get these up and running than starting trade with a foreign civ.

(10) Doing some/most of the above and completing Mike any time soon requires $$. Maybe we should raise taxes to maximum for about 5 turns once we discover republic so we can RB some caravans and accomplish many of the above objectives quickly ?

(11) I didn't post a poll before these rounds (from 160 AD to 300 AD) because I was busy and assumed they would be played on Sunday. Fortunately nothing significant was happening and I was actually having trouble creating a poll. But there are lots of issues now. Because of this it would be nice to know in advance when the turns are played. Also I suspect fewer turns next would be a good idea.

Some of the above issues depend greatly on what the military advisor wants.

(11) I didn't post a poll before these rounds (from 160 AD to 300 AD) because I was busy and assumed they would be played on Sunday. Fortunately nothing significant was happening and I was actually having trouble creating a poll. But there are lots of issues now. Because of this it would be nice to know in advance when the turns are played. Also I suspect fewer turns next would be a good idea.
Sure, I can play fewer turns next time.

About playing yesterday instead of today, I usually play Sundays, but because I thought I had to spend Sunday studying psycology (which it turns out I have more time to finish and therefore didn't do:) ), I thought I'd play Saturday instead. There wasn't that much discussion going on and I know there are some that only visit CFC at work and never come at here at weekends. Still, I should tell you. Is Wednesday all right next?:)

(7) We need a road between Ipec and Naervana so that the elephant can defend all three cities and be stationed in Ipec. Also we need to irrigate N of Ipec (SE of Nae).
There are two settlers (the ones that just irrigated outside VM) that are building a road between them, but I thought I'd make a detour to the silk to increase trade in Ipec.

For the ones that don't download the game, I forgot to press v, so the two settlers on the roaded hill between Igl and EF aren't showing. One is ready to move this turn, the other next turn.

I've read through the two turn threads I missed, noted science achievements, and hope to post a poll before the day is over, but still catching up on work, so no time right now.

Originally posted by funxus
The road between LP, EF, Igl, FW and Nae is complete, what to do with the two settlers not having anything to do?

How to solve unhappiness in Igloria?

What shall we build in Dou after MP is ready?
[/B]
Those settlers could perhaps mine the special which should be 1 square S of Igloria. Actually, road the square before mining since roading grass takes fewer turns than roading trees.

Igloria is unhappy because it has a double-unhappy-black-hat-dude. I believe the easy way to make it happy is to simply remove its garrison from the city. That way, the HG will work it's magic on the black-hat and make him happy, while the second is unhappy, giving a balanced size 2 city. It's a short term solution, but it works surprisingly well. You will have a similar problem in Barbs Suck when it gets to size 2, assuming that is where that Archer is headed.

Doughnutia should build trade caravans and deliver them pronto.

I'm not sure for how long we can leave those two cities undefended. There have been a few ships passing by Igl, and the greeks live close to it. When our ship was destroyed by the barbarians, their ship continued SE, so if we're unlucky - they'll go for our cities. It would be a bit embarrasing if the barbarians captured our Barbarians Suck city.:)

Igl doesn't have that much food, so mining one of the grasslands could hurt its growth a bit (especially when we switch to Rep). Other cities nearby are in need of irrigation too, such as FW and EF.

I mentioned above (see (2) there) that FW should maybe switch to crusaders - maybe we should RB one ? I think we also need at least one crusader in the west (see (4) above), the archer can then go to BS. And LP's defenses are as thin as parchment :D, we need crusaders there too.

Building caravans in Doughnutia is a good idea, we do not need any improvements there until it reaches size 8 and/or we have the tech to build Ike or Shake so we have a short 'window' in time now to build caravans once MP is finished next turn. They should be sent to one of the nearby core cities, sending them abroad takes too much time (we'll do so later).

The unhappiness problems are not a big problem, they'll disappear once we build Mike.

I'll post the relevant polls in a few hours.

Originally posted by funxus

Sure, I can play fewer turns next time.
The number of turns played last time was appropriate. However, I think things should be timed so that when a revolution takes place the last turn played is our first turn as a republic (or second turn if we can't survive the one turn of anarchy without civil disorder somewhere). This will hardly happen next time you play but could happen the next time after that.

It is only 8:30 in the morning on Wed where I am, so I figured I had today yet to post. Hope you see this before you need to make science decisions.

Anyway, according to the latest poll, our citizens most want to research Theory of Gravity to build Isaac Newton's College. This will require first acquiring University, which (if my calculations are correct) will NOT be available next round. Tech trading can, of course, change all that, so is highly recommended

Second in priority is Medicine, which IS available next round, so would be a good choice if we can't go after University

Third priority is a tie between Bridge Building (not available) and Banking (available).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom