1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Next Turn: 650bc

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Jayne, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

:queen:

775bc - Tax rate changed to 70% science. Elvis in RC sent to work ocean. Legion arrives in Elysium and a warrior is built. Elvis is sent to work the gems and work starts on a phalanx. Castle Jayne changed to phalanx. IPRB $2. Mordhiemia changed to phalanx. Dellham legion sent to explore rest of city radius. Civvium warrior rehomed from TF. LN changed to settler. IPRB $2.

750bc - Reneaux builds settler and starts a new one. Settler heads to M1. RC finishes temple and starts dip. Mordhiemia finishes phalanx and starts settler. Elvis has left the building! IPRB $2 TF settler. Reneaux chariot sent to Dellham to avoid unrest.

725bc - Mysticism discovered! Start researching Philosophy. Dellham builds settler and starts phalanx. RC IPRB $11 dip.

700bc - Marl Downs builds settler an starts another. Little Nemo settler heads to F2. RC ocean workers moved to road. IPRB $11 dip. Elvis arrives in Castle Jayne.

675bc - Population now 400,000+. Elysium builds phalanx and starts temple. Disorder in CJ ends. Civvium builds settler and starts temple. TF builds settler and starts NOTHING. RC builds dip and starts NOTHING.

*Queen Jayne calls her Government to the Presidential Palace. 'We are doing well under your guidence, but how can we make our Nation better? I move again Saturday pm'*

:queen

2. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Things are progressing nicely my queen. :goodjob:

Thank you for listening to my moaning and clearing up the remaining square in Dellham's radius. :) The techs are coming more regularly now and the science advisor will have more to do but that means we are also fixing our place as the leaders in this game! There are some very important decisions coming up to cement this place but I have complete confidence in our team to get it all working smoothly. I think that if Elysium was to send a nappies caravan to RLS then that would be a great trade route. ;)

3. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Nice governance, My Queen. And an interesting moment to stop for discussion!

We have 3 cities that could build ANYTHING: Regia Civitas, ThunderFalls, and Civvium. Shall we construct the Library of RC? We have already decided Civvium will start its Temple -- shall it actually be so? Mysticism doubles the effect of our Temples; shall we construct more? Well yes, but How Many and Where? Civvium certainly. Shortly we will learn of the mysterious Philosophy, and so may be able to pick TWO Sciences. Many other questions will surface. Read on.

Quickie Status: 360,000 people in 10 Cities. 137 gold, Still 40,00,60% !? F5 $20 -1 =19, Sci 30 in 6 turns, researching Philosophy in about 2 turns. F11 Mfg=33, FS=6.5

@ 30,00,70%: F5 $18 -1 =17, Sci 33 in 5 turns.

We are still #1 in Population, Manufacturing, Land Area, Family Size and Productivity! We must be powering ahead of the AI keeping that up!

In production: 1 Temple of Elysium, 4 Settlers, 2 Phalanx, 3 ANYTHING. But, Mord Settler would be better as Phalanx or Warrior.

Researching Philosophy, 2 more turns, known: Alphabet, Bronze, CBurial, CodeLaws, Literacy, Monarchy, Mysicism, Pottery, WarriorCode and Writing. Still need Currency, Trade, Map Making etc, then Mike's Chapel.

775 BC Status was: 390,000 people in 10 Cities. 74 gold, 40,00,60% F5 $17 -0, Sci 26 in 6 turns, researching Mysticism in about 2 turns. F11 Mfg=35, FS=5.8

We have a Fresh Diplomat to move, found 2 Cities: M1 Octavia's Point and F2 (Named ... ???). We have 4 other Settlers working! The Dellham and TFalls Settlers need detailed plans.

Quick suggestions:
    The next Little Nemo Settler will be completed shortly and can complete the Road to RC.
    The TFalls Settler should be sent to Road the F2 Plains, then Elysium Silk, then what?
    Mordhiemia might party: Send Phalanx to protect Octavia's Point, hire Elvis, change to Phalanx, then build a Settler with Elvis playing nearly every night!
    The Marl Downs Settler is sort of planned, later on that one and G2NE ...
    The Civvium Settler is planned: build 1 Road on GLS, then Found F3 Forest (S of Hill).
    Castle Jane needs 1 Entertainer turn to complete its Phalanx.

With $137, NUF can afford to IPRB nearly everything.

4. Rout

Rout ZZzzzzzz

:grad:I think a library in RC would be a good idea.:grad:
    Take advantage of the lack of corruption. We can always change it to market place later if we need cash, but at the mo we need to keep the science turnover at every 5 turns + get some Great Project techs.
    Also RC is the only city that can justify a library at present, regarding population size.

5. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

With libraries you have to cinsider income or than poulation. No point building a library if the extra beakers it provides disappears because of upkeep costs. There's a thread on it somewhere. (Scrolls of Wisdom?)

At the moment, RC and Elysium qualify for libraries.

6. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

If we build a dip in RC, would we have it finished before the discovery of Trade or afterwards? If after then we can change it to a caravan and rake in some more cash and beakers. Do we want to think about routes from further away, or are you happy to start off with some from the nearer cities and then supplant them with those from further away after that? If we do deliver a caravan from RC to Elysium then remember to put the workers to the max trade possible in both cities, and then return them once the pay-off has been made and the extra trade calculated. :)

7. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

A new dip build in RC would finish before we get Trade. I'm for building the Library first.

IIRC, upkeep costs only affect the gold income, not beakers. A library adds 50 percent to the beaker output at a cost of 1g/turn.

Once we have Currency (very soon!) we can build Marketplaces to get +50 percent output of gold and lux. Science is more important than gold right now, so RC and Elysium should build Libraries first.

8. GaryNemo

Only the two libraries right now, perhaps forever. Maybe someday, The Library of Reneaux with its River & Wine. I apply this simple analysis: If we're making 6 beakers, we gain 3 at a cost of one gold. But there are other factors -- we don't need a plethora of Libraries. Starting with one in Regia Civitas sounds good, eh?

Rather than rush the Caravan idea, lets plan carefully. We want Demand iirc, and that the cities be connected by roads (the connection will be Real Soon Now). And we want it Elysium to/from Regia Civitas. We might need to build the Caravan somewhere else, then rehome it at one of the two...

Are we getting excited about Trade now, or what!?

9. MonkE

Any city that has significant science output should have a library.

Things I build in all cities of any size: Marketplace, Library, 3 Trade Routes with Colossus city, Aqueduct, Bank, University (not necessarily in this order).

I believe in getting the most out of any city.

10. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

Our empire is shaping up nicely :D I'll take a look at the game tonight and be able to make some more informed choices concerning the questions facing us. I'm especially anxious to consider when and where to start a wonder.
    I think our science queue is okay for the moment. The thread concerning what free tech to take is generating some good discussion. I don't think we have officially decided on alternate techs to take yet, so I'll start a thread on that. Anything else needed from the Science Advisor before this weekend, your Excellency?

edit: a few posts slipped in while I was typing. I was going to wait to weigh in on the library issue, but it seems to be heating up, so here goes :crazyeye: I would support a library in RC at this point, but not more. Perhaps in Elysium. (it will definitely need one eventually) I'll have to take a look at it. Libraries do cost gold in upkeep, so should only be in cities with significant science output. Cops Obs in Elysium is 10 times more important than libraries in every city in the nation, IMHO, and I would rather focus on that than spending production building libraries everywhere. In my current game (Deity) I'm getting techs every 2 turns (mid-1800s, post Flight) with libraries in maybe 10 cities, if that many (I'd have to look at the game to be sure), and 5 other civs still alive and active. SSC with all the science wonders and good trade routes everywhere are more important than libraries, generally. Actually, I tend to build marketplaces before I build libraries.

11. mordhiem

mordhiem Quantum Physicist

Admiral Mordhiem has been lurking recently, feeling he should leave the complicated buisness of domestic affaris to those whom it better suits. Rumors that he has been sulking away in his mountain castle outside Mordhiemia because he has no navy to play with are totally unfounded ;).

12. GaryNemo

Mord, Rout was out in one of your Row Boats and did very well with it.

On Libraries, not too many. The gold cost is not significant, the 80 shields is. RC, yes, now. Elysium, soon. Later, maybe Reneaux. Perhaps only those 3. But any large city will get a MarketPlace, I agree.

13. GaryNemo

Faq: Assuming 30,00,70%: F5 $18 -$1 =17, Sci 33 * 5 turns

* Regia Civitas: 15 trade, 5 tax & 10 beakers, 6 shields
        2 guards, size=4 grows in 12 turns
    * Elysium, 12 trade, 3 corruption, 4 tax & 8 beakers, 5 shields
        3 guards, size=3 grows in 33.
    * Dellham, 4 trade (5-1), 1 tax & 3 beakers, 4 shields
        2 guards, size=2 grows in 12, Phalanx in 2 turns
    * Reneaux, shall we max Science or Growth?

* Castle Jayne, needs Entertainer ASAP to finish the Phalanx
    * Little Nemo, move serf to new road on NW GLS.

Aonia Cities:

* Regia Civitas: could build anything, say Library in 14? (80/6)
    * Elysium: 5/40 of Temple in 7 turns, then what? Could release Warrior guard to F2?
    * Little Nemo: 25/40 of Settler in 5 turns, then what?
    * TFalls: 0/40 of Settler? in 14, grows in 13, what to do?
    * Civvium: 0/40 of Temple in 12, Size 1 grows in 16 (actually fewer, and then 2 Whales = 5 shields), so we could probably build some unit before building the Temple. An archer, did anyone ask?

Some Other Cities:

* Marl Downs: 4/40 of Settler, grows in 1, so Settler in 12 turns?
    * Mordhiemia: 12/40 Settler, recommend switch to Phalanx and Rush Buy $19?
    *   Send Phalanx up to M1 Octavia's Point on the double?
    * Dellham: 12/20 of Phalanx in 2 turns, has 2 guards.
      Are we sending this Phalanx up to NE Whale Point?
    * Reneaux: working Oasis and Wine, 5 trade (6-1), 2 tax & 3 beakers,
        building 8/40 Settlers, grows in 5 (with founding of M1)

Settler ideas:
    * Reneaux Settler at M1 to found Octavia's Point. Guard arrives soon?
    * Little Nemo Settler will found F2 in 2 turns, having built 2 roads.
    * New TFalls Settler, walk N N to Road that Plains, NW charge, NW Road on Silk?
    * Civvium Settler, walk N NE Road GLS, N NE to F3 site. Irrigate first?
    * MD Settler, take Road, walk W NW NW NW to Road GLS, then...
    *   what about the new city, G2NE?
    * Dellham Settler, heads down to Iron City, doing what?

* Is the Legion at Reneaux going somewhere?
    * Where shall our new RC Diplomat go? How $much does she need?
    * Where shall we apply gold to IPRB?

14. MonkE

Dellham: +2 Food, 4 Shields, 5-1 Trade/Corruption, 2 gold, 2 beakers, 0 lux at current rates. Can grow in 12 turns without unrest. Phalanx finishes in 2 turns. Then what to build? Note: chariot can move NE and back SW into city to uncover black square. (Also: TF warrior could move W then E in 2 turns without unrest).

Reneaux: +2 F, 2 S, 6-1 T/C, 2g 3b. Can grow in 7 turns without unrest. Settler build 8/40 (16 turns). Can finish in 11 t if worker moved to RGS (income is one less gold and one less beaker). $4 IPRB available this turn.

CJ: +3 F, 3 S, 2-0 T/C, 1g, 1b. Phalanx builds next turn preventing unrest. Then what to build? Grows in 9 turns with unrest unless this is prevented.

It is desirable to make more settlers for colonization, but this must be balanced against defense requirements. It may be wise to consider building archers at this point. Perhaps another phalanx in CJ and archers in Dellham. I will post a poll.

15. GaryNemo

Thank you, MonkE, for your analysis. And also Serutan, I see you posted a poll. I may have some Settlers for you. LN is building another Settler that will build a few roads, then become available to settle the NW. TFalls has such a Settler coming up now. These Settlers must do a bit of Aonia work, but only the F4 City site remains, a poor one. I suspect the people of NUF will want these Settlers to help you colonize Chryshe.

I agree Archers are becoming desirable. The immediate concern is a guard for M1 in Boreum, and a guard for Iron City in Chryshe.

I think it would be appropriately agressive to found these cities, guarded immediately, then build roads out to them with the next wave of Settlers.

You're right about Reneaux. Moving that serf will complete the Settler much sooner, seems desirable. Someday, we must Road the Oasis, and even Mine the Wine...

A current detail. We have a Dellham Settler wandering down to found Iron City. What could it do, such that a guard meets it at the Iron Founding Site?

Soon, we may have Trade! That will be something!

HAS EVERYONE SEEN MONKE'S ROAD & TRADE DIAGRAM in the Strategy of Productivity?

16. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.