1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2006 Playoffs prediction league

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Darkness, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Well, they just did crash and burn.

Too much hype about SD going into the game, about how they were going to win it all, how they had so much talent, how they had home field advantage. They overlooked the Patriots.

2. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

1-1 tonight. Darn you Chargers!

3. GoodEnoughForMe

GoodEnoughForMe n.m.s.s.

Hm... well, I couldn't get access to CFC in time to make my picks. I am wondering if this will do for you people:
    It's copied from an online pick tournament. I got two of four last week.

Still, I'll post my picks for this week, even though I am out of it.

Chicago (Home) defeats New Orleans
    Indianapolis defeats New England.

4. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

Arrrrrrrrrgh :mad: , the only game I really cared who won--- Fumbles, stupid
    penalties, rotten luck and Mr. Tom Brady were a tad too much. Dang, I should have pretended to hope that the Patriots would win :crazyeye: .

5. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

A nice, disastrous weekend pickwise, but Saturday was
    good from a "who I wanted to win" standpoint.

6. Mojotronica

Mojotronica Expect Irony.

The Conference games both look good.

New Orleans has to go to Chicago to win the right to go to the Super Bowl for the first time ever. Both teams have weaknesses, but they were the 1st and 2nd seeds in the NFL and it really could go either way.

I think that the majority of fans are rooting for New Orleans. Their story of devastation and "sudden" excellence is very compelling. It was the kind of thing you could see as a possibility though -- remember that back in late season 2004 the Saints won their last four games and just barely missed out on the playoffs. Hurricane Katrina (and losing their stadium,) Deuce McAlister's injury in game five and Aaron Brooks slide in performance all conspired to give the team it's decrepit record in 2005.

This year they got their stadium back, McAllister is healthy, new QB Drew Brees is a major upgrade and they have super-star Reggie Bush serving as a distraction for the Wide Receiver corps. All that gave them the strength to go 10-6 this season, and in the weak NFC that was enough for the second seed.

Chicago's story is interesting too -- no one expected much out of Rex Grossman (I think people got him confused with Kyle Orton) at the start of the season, and questioned Chicago's focus on shoring up the defense. But it turns out the offense just needed a decent QB to pose a vertical threat. Grossman's struggles at the end of the season took a lot of the luster off the team -- they are perceived as vulnerable now. (Especially since their defense has taken some big hits to injuries.) But the Bears went 13-3, completely dominating the NFC.

The NFC Conference Championship will be a struggle between New Orleans superlative Offense and Chicago's elite Defense. Even with the injuries I think Chicago will win the game. They have Home Field Advantage. Grossman looked like he had gotten his groove back in last week's game against Seattle. It will be close, but I pick Chicago.

Over in the AFC Championship, Indianapolis is hosting New England in a huge matchup of the most celebrated football teams in the league right now.

Since his blockbuster 2004 season, Indy's Peyton Manning has been the face of the NFL. He's expected to win a Super Bowl before he retires. His combination of passing skill, strength and decision-making puts him among the elite Quarterbacks who have ever played the game. Indianapolis' offense was second only to San Diego's this year.

The Patriots have won three of the past five Super Bowls with many of the same players, including QB Tom Brady (who's solid all-around and considered amongst the most clutch in playoff situations.) They are more balanced all-around than Indianapolis -- elite both offensively and defensively.

Defense is the big question for Indianapolis -- they were well below average in the regular season, especially towards the end of the year. But in the post-season their defense has carried the team, so who knows what's going on with them? They get Home Field Advantage in this game, a nice bonus considering how tough it is for a visiter to win in the Patriot's Gillette Stadium. And they have the Pats' former clutch kicker Adam Vinetieri, who single-handedly (footedly!) scored all the Colts' points last week against Baltimore.

On the other hand, the New England Patriots just beat the strongest team in the NFL on the road. With that win, the Patriots have proven that they can win against any team in the league even in the toughest of circumstances.

I'm hoping that Indianapolis will win the game -- I like to see the Lombardi Trophy spread around the league and the Patriots have won it enough, lately! But my pick is New England. I think that they will do just enough to beat Indianapolis and have another shot at the Super Bowl.

7. Mojotronica

Mojotronica Expect Irony.

Hey Darkness, I picked Chicago and New England amongst all that jibber-jabber... Thanks!

8. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

I'll pick Indy and Chicago. Given my track record, that means one will win, and one won't. :confused: But which one?

Well, I was close.

9. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

I pick...Indianapolis and New Orleans

10. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Divisional round results

4-0 tcjsavannah
    3-1 AlCosta, dgfred, DukeofMarlbrough, Own, SuperBeaverInc.
    2-2 Azale , Darkness, grahamiam, greekguy, Mojotronica, Spacer One, Tomoyo, Turner, Zarn
    1-3 Serutan, Ulsterman88

Standings
    7-1 dgfred, SuperBeaverInc., tcjsavannah
    6-2 Darkness, DukeofMarlbrough, Own
    5-3 AlCosta, Azale, grahamiam, Mojotronica, Serutan
    4-0 GoodEnoughForMe
    4-4 greekguy, Spacer One, Tomoyo, Turner, Zarn
    3-0 John HSOG
    3-1 Ginger Ale
    3-5 Ulsterman88

Conference round schedule
    New Orleans at Chicago
    New England at Indianapolis

And don't worry: I've seen the picks above this post. :)

11. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Conference round picks
    New Orleans at Chicago
    New England at Indianapolis

Just picking by who I want to win now, not neccessarily who will win... ;)
    I must be nuts, picking against Brady-Belichick. I guess sunday didn' teach me anything... :crazyeye:

12. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Hmm, I may have to wait for tcjsavannah, SBI, and Dgfred to pick for a chance of winning. I might change these.

New Orleans at Chicago- Smith and Grant will get enough pressure on Rex to make him throw a couple game changing picks. Bears defense isn't as dominant, Hasselbeck, Jones, and Alexander did it, I'm sure Brees, Bush, McAllister, and Jammal Brown can too.

Indy vs Patriots- Defense has proven the ability to cover for Peytons mistakes. Last two games he had to face Law and Reed, maybe the two best DB's at getting picks in the league, just don't throw the POG and Samuel won't get any.

13. greekguy

greekguy Missed the Boat

Indy and New Orleans FTW.

14. dgfred

dgfred Sports Freak

I'm going with:
    Indianapolis --- can't stand New England. Admire Brady though :king: .
    Chicago--- the weather might be the deciding factor :snowcool: .

15. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Indy and New Orleans.

16. grahamiam

grahamiam In debt to Mr. Geisel

I'm taking the visitors in both games (Saints and Pats)

17. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Conference Round Picks
    New Orleans at Chicago
    New England at Indianapolis - Tom Brady, Playoffs, No-Brainer.

18. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Indy and Chicago

19. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

20. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

Pats and Saints, if I cannot be tabulated for want of earlier picks, that is fine too.