Nfl 2006

What? After one year? Who do they plan to hire next, John Madden?

Joe Gibbs has so many high paid assistants around him that I wonder what he does anymore. Did he take playcalling back from Saunders? Well, there goes another 10 million or so. Just hope you guys have the brains to trade either Portis or Betts, I know Portis won't want to share time and Betts now knows he can be a star in this league in the right team...

There's a great article in the Washington Post on the Al Saunders/Joe Gibbs relationship. Unfortunately, you have to be a surscriber to get the article. To summarize it, Al Saunders came into town believing he had more power in the offense than he actually did. Also, Al Saunders believed Mark Brunell could learn this new offense in 1 month, which was complete crap. Basically, Al Saunders is the worst assistant on this team. Gregg Williams isn't much better with his defense, they keep getting worse. They really need to fire Al Saunders, and let Joe Gibbs do the play-calling. I don't care if it's smashmouth football which apparently "doesn't work in the NFL." It worked for the Redskins, they were 5-2 when rushing more than 30 times. :rolleyes: We need to learn that the time to run the ball isn't the end of the season, it's the whole season. Both this year and last year we didn't start running the ball until Early December. Cambell threw 34 times in his first start. WTF?

:gripe:

Sorry all, just had to rant on how much I hate Al Saunders.

Anyways, we're not going to trade Betts, because we gave him a 5 year deal. I'd doubt we'd trade Portis. Portis and Betts are 2 different kinds of runners that compliment each other. Portis is more patient and is better when he hits that 2nd and 3rd levels, which he can achieve if we actually ran the ball. Betts hits the whole hard, and doesn't slow down. I'd rather see Portis starting and getting 20-25 carries, and then have Betts take 5-10 carries too. That'd be perfect for Cambell to make his good throws and take the pressure off of him. Cambell kept the Redskins in games with good throws, and he kept cool under pressure. But, when the OL doesn't give him time (see Philadelphia game on 12/17), he makes mistakes, and he pays for them.

Schottenheimer bashing has no merit? It has a lot of merit. He's gone to the playoffs 12 times. 12 times! and has not gotten a ring for it. He's tied with several other coaches for most playoff appearnces, and no ring!

You're right, KC hasn't done jack since he left. What, one, two playoff appearnces? But guess what...Marty hasn't done much better. In fact, arguably worse, because he's gone to the show, and hasn't performed with it.

I'll be the first to say Good Job to him if they make it to the SB this year. But my money is that they won't.

Schottenheimer is also one of the winningest coaches of all time...so, your gonna blame him for losing to the most clutch QB of all time? The one with the most comeback wins in league history? How about the fact that since he left KC, they STILL haven't won anything. Same with Washington, save for last year (what looks like a blip now).

We're going to find out if RIVERS can handle the playoff pressure, not Schottenheimer.

I concede that Marty is one of the best regular season coaches ever.
Until he proves differently, I do not believe he is a good playoff coach.

So I agree to disagree with you on this :)

I don't know how your a "bad" playoff coach when you know, realistically, he had no shot against the Niner, Cowboy dynasties of the 80's & 90's, and the Patriot dynasties of recent times. The fact that he has led San Diego to respectability is amazing in of itself. This team was the laughing stock of the league in 2003, got passed by Eli Manning, and started the quaterback with the lowest QB rating, had no recievers, no oline, no tight end, and an aging defense with overrated cornerbacks. It was baaad.

What's Martyball? Running the ball and keeping it close? Isn't that what Parcells & Cowher do?

To me, I do not think a coach can be great in the regular season and then suddenly not be great in the postseason. Never bought it with Dungy, never bought it with Cowher, or Reid. It's not like his teams have been blown out. The Chargers, if you remember, actually cameback in the fourth and barely lost because the Jets had the first OT possession and Kaeding missed a kick in the rain.

Oh, but I'm sure Mike Martz was a great postseason coach with that ring and all...and he lost a Double OT game to Carolina. Cowher lost on a goalline stand to San Diego in '94, so he must be a choker. And of course, Tony Dungy was the one that whiffed on a kick last year, or decided not to show up against the Jets (41-0...wow).

I just don't buy a coach choking. Teams, sure. Kickers, most definately. He put his trust in kickers, made him look bad. Bellicheck does it, and he is a genius. Don't tell me Bellicheck knew of Vinatieri's greatness in '02 ;)

I don't understand either how a coach can be so good in the regular season (200-126-1) and do so poorly in the post season (5-12). It's been since the '93 season that he's won a post season game. The last four appearnces he's made he's lost the game.

But you gotta understand that aside from his abysmal post season performance, I think he's a hell of a coach. He's the one responsible for turning KC back into a respectable team. Ten seasons @ KC, and every one of them was a winning season except for the last. And certainly I have never looked forward to playing Marty no matter what team he's coaching, unless we're at home. I don't know why his teams don't perform in the post-season, they just don't. Hopefully he'll get over that one season and they'll make it all the way. And yeah, I do admit it could be this season.

For all of Schottenheimer's faults.. Jim Mora was worse. Dude didn't know how to coach a postseason game to save his life.

Just for grins, here's my predictions for the entire post-season:

Rd 1, WC weekend:

Seattle beats Dallas at home. This is a close game.

Philly beats NYG at home. This is not a close game.

NE beats NYJ at home. This is a close game.

KC beats Indy away. KC gets the lead early and holds on in a second half shoot-out.

Rd 2, 1st round of Conf Championships:

Chicago beats Seattle at home. It's closer than the anti-Seattle snobs think it will be.

Philly beats New Orleans away. Big upset nationwide as America's Team loses in a big game, full of heart.

Baltimore beats NE at home. Defense keeps it close, McNair outpasses Brady.

SD beats KC at home. This is a lopsided game as SD dominates both offensively and defensively.

Rd 3, Conf Championships:

Chicago beats Philly at home. Superior defense wins the championship.

Baltimore beats SD away. Another huge upset, as SD's offense is checked by the Ravens superior Defense. LT's low numbers encourage the fickle masses to spend the summer debating how he's "not for real," because the masses are idiots... or jockeying to get their fantasy league owners to trade him.

Rd 4, the MAIN EVENT:

It's Baltimore vs Chicago in a massive Defensive battle. Chicago goes into the game slightly favored, but it's Baltimore that emerge as the 2006 NFL champions. Grossman looks like he's in over his head against a more physical team. McNair looks solid, MVP goes to Ray Lewis though.

Ahem, I believe I was the NFL Prediction League CHAMPION this year, so I believe my predictions hold the highest merit :mischief:

So here they are.

Wild Card Weekend

Dallas Cowboys at Seattle Seahawks

This will be a great game, unfortunately I have a feeling we will lose it in the most agonizing way. Last second Josh Brown field goal should do the trick after...oh, say, a long 4th down conversion on a blown coverage on Branch.

Kansas City Chiefs at Indianapolis Colts

I kept wanting to think Manning could compensate for his teams horrible rush defense, but time and time again I was proved wrong. Destroyed against Jax, ran over by Houston, they just got worse and worse. It continues against a KC team that I think will be rejuvenated with thier stroke of luck getting in.

New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles

I'm still mad we lost to the Eagles. :mad:

New York Jets at New England Patriots

The Jets are so much like the Pats...minus the clutchest QB since Cool Joe, an actual running game, and a great defense. And homefield. Bellicheck does really well in playoff games and even better in playoff games against teams he faced in the regular season. And EVEN BETTER in playoff games against teams he lost to in the regular season. This might be a blowout, but the Jets have a way of being scrappy.

Divisional Round

Seattle Seahawks at Chicago Bears

First upset, IMO. Chicago's defense has been softer recently. They allowed 31 to the Bucs, and have really be average all season against the run. Thier last meeting was with Maurice Morris starting for Seattle, and it wasn't pretty. Not to mention Grossman didn't suck back then. That was then, this is now. Seattle gets it done.

Kansas City Chiefs at San Diego Chargers

The Turner vs. Azale matchup :p Schottenheimer throws 4 touchdowns, and kicks 5 field goals in a San Diego rout of the Kansas City Larry Johnson's.

Philadelphia Eagles at New Orleans Saints

We saw this earlier in the year, and that was when Philly had McNabb and the number 1 offense in the league. Nawleans wins a shootout.

New England Patriots at Baltimore Ravens

I would really like to pick the Ravens here...so I will. I'm very wary of it though, very very wary. If Brady throws for over 200 yards, Pats win, if not, Pats lose. It's that simple to me.

Conference Championships

Seattle Seahawks at New Orleans Saints

I think the Saints have just the offense to expose Seattle. If this were in Seattle...well, if this were in Seattle, then that would mean they wouldn't be 9-7. Anyway, these teams are very similar to me. The Saints are just at home.

Baltimore Ravens at San Diego Chargers

SAN DIEGO, SUPERCHAAARGERS! SAN DIEGO, CHAAAAARGERS! SAN DIEGO, SUPERCHAAAARGERS! SAN DIEGO, CHAAAARGERS CHAAARGE!!!! In all seriousness, we saw this matchup earlier...in Baltimore. A game SD should have won. Since then, they have not lost but 1 game.

Super Bowl 41

New Orleans Saints vs San Diego Chargers

What a beautiful matchup, in beautiful Pro Playa Stadium (don't care if that's not the name anymore). Brees vs his old team, LT2 in the superbowl, and the very real possibility of powder blue jerseys. 3-13 to Superbowl in 1 year...4-12 to Superbowl in 3 years. Sean Payton in his first year reaching it, Schottenheimer reaching it after all of these years. Top 5 offenses, top 2 MVP candidates. New Orleans wins the coinflip, but San Diego wins the game.

My First-Half Analysis:

The Kansas City Chiefs should count their blessings to be even close in this game. Their offense is terrible right now. I really think Damon Huard should be highly considered to play in the Second Half. Indy's defense is doing great right now.

Indy's offense is doing okay, but they look like the Redskins once they get into Chiefs territory. They should be putting this game away, instead the Chiefs are only down 9.

Lawerence Tynes, what can I say? I've made 23 yard field goals while playing football with my friends. There's no excuse for not making a field goal less than 30 yards.

My Prediction:
Indianoplis Colts 26 - Kansas City Chiefs 7

EDIT: Peyton Manning is doing the best he can to give the game away. Ty Law comes up with his 2nd interception.

Kansas City at Indionapolis
Was that not the worst-played game of football that you have ever seen from a playoff team? I said it at the beginning of the first half, "They need to put Huard in there immediately!"

Trent Green couldn't do a thing on offense in the first half and every time that you saw him on the sideline, he had his head in his hands. He was dwelling on it and emotionally lost.

Who can comment on this game without mentioning the spectacular defensive expose' by the Colts?

I tuned into this game halfway through the third...you know, when KC had 0 FIRST DOWNS still. Law had more INT yards than they had total offensive yards. Indy had more FIRST DOWNS than they had total offensive yards.

Pathetic offensive "showcase". They fell into a completely and utterly predictable gameplan and refused to deviate from it when it was clear it would not work. KC did not play like a team on a mission, Indy's defense certainly did and made sure thier offense would not cost them with one of thier rusty starts in playoff games.

I don't know what the hell happened out there, but that's not the guys who were playing in the regular season. I don't know who tied up Larry Johnson and stole his uniform, but that was pathetic.

But, I must admit, not entirely unexpected. :(

Herm talked about pulling Green if he wasn't performing, and putting Huard in. Since he's said that he'd do it, and didn't, people are gonna give him a lot of crap for that out here, not to mention second guessing his decision for, oh, I don't know, FOREVER.

And I have a feeling that Green may head on to other pasture's now. I was gonna make the joke about greener ones, but I'm too damn pissed.

Dallas at Seattle
One of the best and craziest games that I have ever seen. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Some BS calling, but like my old man says, if you can't overcome zebra bias, then you shouldn't get the win, anyway.

The almost-first down at the "one and a half" looked like one of those calls that would look extremely obvious if you were an avid supporter of either team.

I'd love to hear what this "BS" calling is.

Holding call on Newman. Glenn actually having a reception. He did not. Missing the obvious hold that Seattle made on offense.

Romo did great as a QB, just not as a holder.

Even, so, we lost to ourselves yet, again.

Hey El Justo, 23 years since Philly won a championship.

Edit: I absolutely do not believe Witten had the 1st down.

Zarn said:
Glenn actually having a reception. He did not.

This is the only one I had a clue of what you're talking about. Glenn caught the football, controlled it, kept it in his grasp as he was slipping, and tried to go downfield with it, where the Seattle defender knocked it out of his hand. It was a fair catch.

Top Bottom