1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nfl 2006

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Red Door, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

The ball hit the ground. It wasn't obvious, until you really looked for it.

2. Azale

Azale Deity

What are you talking about? A fraud because he botched a hold?

He seemed to play pretty efficiently out there, but I guess your Philly bias turns "efficiently" into "bad" somehow...

You wanna see fraud, just go to the Eagles teams that blew 3 straight NFC Championship games. 1 at home to a team that had never won in a game below 30 degrees and whom the Eagles had owned. Oh, and please don't talk yet, because your team hasn't finished playing. It still has time to choke as all Philly teams eventually do :) Hope your not a hockey fan, even the Flyers suck this year. College Football? Oh right...you guys latch onto Penn State, even though your real team is Temple :lol:

Fraud? Come talk to me if he throws 20 picks next year, then you might have an argument.

My only comfort in this game was the fact that Miles Austin finally proved his worth and that with over a minute remaining, our defense would have choked it away. In a fashion that I PREDICTED IN MY PREDICTION :cry:

3. Own

Own Grasshoppah

I feel bad for Romo...

Do you think it's time to take away the XP, and after a touchdown the team can choose between a free point or to go for two? The Cincy Denver game was decided by that, and the sea dal game was decided by a close field goal (which I'm saying only shows that they can be missed often). Also, does anybody remember that famous NO game, last game of the season (need to win to make postseason), down by seven, one second left, at their own 20? They throw a short pass, and after about 5 laterals they score, then miss extra point.

4. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

I fully agree with that.

Fun game to watch though, even if it was in the middle of the night (in Europe)...

5. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

I did really look at it. He had full control of it the whole time.

6. El Justo

El Justo Deity

romo is a FRAUD. he's an avg qb who seems to make bad descisions, have either small hands or butter fingers (not just on the botched fg), and most importantly, costs his team games which imo qualifies his fraudulence, especially over the last few weeks of the season when opposing defensive coordinators had ample film on the dude.

no philly bias there. i've been watching football for a long time and i just don't see anything more than an average qb (at best) when i look at romo. dallas fans can say what they want, but w/ all of the weapons the cowboys have on offense and their late season collapse...well...something is amiss here and it starts w/ the qb position b/c he clearly cost the cowboys a few wins, including yesterday's debacle.

the nfl is a 'what have you done for me late-ly' league. and dallas hasn't won a playoff game since 1996. to say philadelphia is fraudulent for not winning in 3 straight nfc championship games is sour grapes...as is complaining about the referees. so deal w/ it :)

and i am indeed a flyers fan, a phillies fan, a sixers fan, and even a passive temple fan. but that is for another thread i'm afraid.

PS-my points have zero to do w/ the eagles btw. if they play poorly today then philly fans will be the first in line (myself included) to criticize (no, crucify) the team, the qb, the coach, the kicker, the mascot, the owner...whomever!

7. Mojotronica

Mojotronica Expect Irony.

@Zarn: I can rarely tell if a holding offense has been made unless I see it on instant replay. You could be right on those, I just couldn't tell.

If it's the one I'm thinking of I wasn't sure on that one either. If he did not have the reception, Dallas wouldn't have made that long pass -- though that's not as bad for Dallas as the interception.

@ El Justo: I don't agree with you that Romo is a bad player. He looked great in his early (post debut vs the NY Giants) run of games -- it's not an exaggeration to say that Romo got Dallas into the post-season. I think he just had a freaky bad play this game. I think that when he gets more experience he'll be a frustrating adversary for Eagles fans for years to come.

8. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

I assume he's talking about the one near their own goal line that led to a safety.

I have to say Romo is an okay QB. He got too much hype surrounding him in the beginning, and then when he stalled, we were supposed to be surprised. I wasn't surprised at all.

9. Mojotronica

If that's the one then he's totally wrong. :)

10. Mojotronica

I thought Romo would be a total disaster... and argued w/ Zarn about it elsewhere. I am impressed with his ability -- he definitely has the instincts, and mobility that Bledsoe doesn't have. You can see it in the way he adjusts during play action.

He's already a competitive QB in his rookie season -- it would be weird if he didn't improve a lot next year and for several years to come.

11. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Who knows, maybe we got away with a hold I missed. They actually happen a lot.

Romo gives me hope for the future. He has the talent, despite being rough around the edges. He wasn't really a rookie, though. He is more like a lurker turned poster. ;)

The defense should improve a bit next year, but I think we need to get rid of Zimmer, before it becomes a great defense. I think Watkins will be a decent FS in the future, but like Romo he needs to develop a bit more. Carpenter showed more towards the end of the year. I'm not sure how long Ellis was suppose to be out, but I think he is back the entire season.

I also think we should get a new O-line coach.

12. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Grr, three red zone possessions, three field goals... :wallbash:

13. Azale

Azale Deity

@eljusto, your bias comes into play very clearly because you see Romo as nothing more than average. Look at the games we won, and even the ones we didn't. The guy just makes the throws, and he is clutch.

He made bad decisions...get this...WHEN HE HAD TO PRESS because his defense was sucking it up! Is it any coincidence that his slide began when the defenses did? This defense became a lower tier one near the end of the year. He never cost us games. Bledsoe did, Quincy Carter did, Chad Hutchinson did, Romo has not to this point other than this Seattle game, which we would not have been in if it wasn't for Romo.

You also overestimate our offensive talent. Owens is good but inconsistent, and the offensive line has been shotty at best in pass blocking.

You also overestimate his fumbling problems, which have only really surfaced the last few weeks.

You saw what you wanted to see, but it doesn't change facts. I guess I can't blame you because of ESPN's "build em up, tear em down" mentality. THEY are the ones who called Romo the second coming of Jesus, and basically everyone with a brain knew he wasn't Aikman or Staubach yet. Of course, as soon as Romo had a bad game ESPN was all over it. God I hate that network with a passion.

It was so setup it sickens me.

We'll be back next year, hopefully without Mike Zimmer and his "blitz at all times, at all costs" mentality. Not smart blitzing either like Joe Johnson...

Any good free safety's in the draft or free agency coming out?

14. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

A well-played game by the Patriots. We had some nice long drives, and besides the long 77 yard TD pass, only gave up 3 FGs. It'll be an interesting matchup against San Diego next week.

15. Mojotronica

It's not just ESPN... Romo has had a lot of press ever since he did well in the pre-season. That's not a bad thing, dude. It's nice to see your players in the spotlight.

The flip side is to be a fan of a team that gets no notice at all until they force the media to recognize... That's just as bad, imho. Then you get commentaries like "is [the team that they are beating] THAT bad?!?" No acknowledment that your team could actually be GOOD.

Sports writers can't win, because they're going to annoy someone if they take a stand one way or another. And sports writing without opinions, analysis or predictions is boring.

16. Azale

Azale Deity

No, I mean, they jumped on him IMMEDIATELY. They said things like "well, all this hype and look at him!". And it was THEM who had hyped them.

Just annoying is all. I feel for you as a Seattle fan though. ESPN has a tendancy of hyping only the NFC East, Big 10 football, and teams they deam "newsworthy" whether there is news to be found there or not.

17. Mojotronica

I don't think it's a bad thing that he got the press is all. Certainly, it exposes him to criticism... but they were right -- totally right (and I didn't think they were) about his being a better choice than Bledsoe at QB... And who could blame them for publicizing him as a means of vindication?

18. Azale

Azale Deity

I can, because it sucks :p

Wow, Eagles almost choked it away. 1rst and 30 and they let Manning and Burress score. Luckily Akers got in range, that guy is money (he missed a similar kick against the Giants a few years back that let them into the playoffs, but that was the only GW fieldgoal I've not seen him make).

I wonder if this will be enough for Coughlin to save his job.

19. Own

Own Grasshoppah

Landry is a good cover safety in the draft...

I didn't like the comparisons of Romo to Staubach or Aikman, either. The guy is, and will be, a consistent starter and even pro bowler. Aikman and Staubach were great, HoF QB's, not just 16 game per season starters who were pretty good. Romo will never reach that level.

20. Azale

Azale Deity

He MIGHT, probably not, but he has the confidence level and intangibles to make it happen. Alot of good QB's do, and never reach that level. Aikman was top 3 all time in the playoffs while Staubach was legendary all around. I don't set those kind of expectations on people, neither do most sane people. Only the media...looking for the next Montana, Elway, or Michael Jordan.

I'm trying to find a good parallel, but I can't right now. It's not Favre either, I am tired of every quaterback that throws hard being compared to Favre.