1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nfl 2006

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Red Door, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Stomping on the center logo is dishonorable. Plain and simple. It isn't a matter of winning or losing.

2. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

The Chargers did it to themselves.

Parker not covering up his muffed punt return that led to Florence getting the Personal Foul led to 3 points.

McCree not just kncocking the ball down on a 4th down attempt led to 8 points.

Even with all of the other inconsisent play they had they could have done it without those three bonehead plays they did to themselves.

Honestly, my opinion of the Patriots went down after that. There's smack talk before the game and smack talk during the game, but once it ends, you shakes hands like the professionals you are suppose to be and look forward to the next game. There's no need for the taunting and such after the game ends.

3. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

LT didn't shake hands afterwards, so he wasn't really any more professional (ok, less than Ellis Hobbs, but still) - you don't just walk off the field like he did. Don't be a sore loser, I say.

4. Duke of Marlbrough

True. He should have been the bigger man. I guess he figured when the other side shows there is no respect then there is none to return back to them.

5. Zarn

Ladainian Tomlinson, not LT (who is retired), had the right to refuse to shake anyone's hand. This is one of those rare times, I will stick up for him.

6. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

I don't see any objective reason for why it would be. They can't celebrate on a logo? It's just a construct that some stupid tradition has deemed dishonorable. It shouldn't matter.

7. Zarn

It is called sore winning. The opposing team lost. Isn't that bad enough (for them)?

8. Ginger_Ale

That same logic can be applied to Merriman's dancing after sacks.

He sacked the QB. Isn't that enough? Why does he have to be a "sore winner" and rub it in their faces?

You can't have it both ways.

9. Zarn

I actually don't like Merriman or even the Chargers. :p

10. Duke of Marlbrough

So every player who makes a firt down or makes a touchdown or makes a sack and celebrates is also in that same group? His 'dance' is just like all of those. All of those happen almost evry game. Why is his so special to be singled out as being disrepectful?

What doesn't happen every game is for players to go into the middle of the filed and mock other players/teams for a win.

11. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Personally, I hate it when the opposing teams sacks our QB and does a little dance.

OTOH, when we do it to the other team, I have a hard time not joining in.

12. Azale

Azale Deity

I think Tomlinson was just dissapointed at the loss...so he kinda overreacted, even if he does really believe that.

13. Own

Own Grasshoppah

LT is right. Too often winners get away with bad sportsmanship because the losers won't critize them, being afraid of being called sore losers. It's like Randy Moss pretending to moon the crowd. You just can't do that. He's right about Belichick too, he's not classy, and a dick.

14. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

...I've never heard anything bad about Belichick... how is he a bad guy?

15. Zarn

I can name one incident, using just one word: Mangini

16. Ginger_Ale

I'll take your comments with a grain of salt. I remember one of your previous disclaimers "I dislike the Patriots because they beat the Panthers in the Super Bowl.". Of course, that's all you know about Belichick. He's probably the most boring coach in the NFL, yet you still find a way to call him a "dick". Sounds like you have a grudge, not evidence. If you watch his press conferences you'll notice he said things like "it'll take our best effort to beat SD", "SD has scored the most points in the fourth quarter, something that will be very hard to stop", "they're number one in almost all of the offensive categories", and more things to that effect. Don't let the players determine the coach. Is it fair to say Parcells is an unclassy guy just because of TO?

At least back up your argument - what specifically has Belichick done that is not classy?

This is valid, and I agree with this one (but still, it is just that - only one event). But who would want to get beaten by their former assistant?! Anything else...?

17. Own

Own Grasshoppah

I thought everyone knew about him pushing the camera guy out of the way (the action that made me refer to him as a "dick"), belittling Mangini after the victory, already mentioned allowing his players to mock TO, something coaches should tell their players to not do. After showboating out of bounds after a rookie Steelers DB intercepted a pass, both Cowher and another coach gave him an earful. Didn't see Bill do that to his players.

18. Mojotronica

Mojotronica Expect Irony.

He's a sore loser. The way he snubbed Mangini? Twice? And that's just this year.

Maybe it's whatever in him that motivates him to win... and I respect his obvious genius when it comes to coaching. But the fact that he's been a jerk is undeniable.

19. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Well all I know is NE created bulletin board material for Indy without saying anything about Indy.

20. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

Mike Vick busted at the airport--his water bottle had a "secret compartment' filled with what appears to be the " Mary Jane '