1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Nfl 2006

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Red Door, Jul 20, 2006.

1. cybrgamr

cybrgamr Chieftain

((I just found this thread so I thought I might drop in - I am a lifelong Pats fan))

Before we all jump on the Pats for what was considered "disrespectful" treatment in San Diego, we should go back to last year's San Diego-New England game in Foxboro. The Patriots entered the game with a 20 game home winning streak and got outplayed in the second half to lose 41-17. The Chargers were not "respectful" in their postgame comments (just a couple of examples I could find):

Wade Phillips boasting - "Now that was an ass-wuppin!"
    San Diego DB yelling in the tunnel - "F&*k them - now they are 20 and 1"

You did not hear one Patriot complain about it...

We move now to the week leading up to the game. San Diego is looking past the Pats making Super Bowl Parade plans for the city. At a pep rally, Merriman eggs the crowd on by saying "he's goona hit Brady in the head" to cheers of "Brady Sucks!!" (there is YouTube video of it).

I understand during the game itself, the Chargers were talking tons of smack. I love the "Lights Out" dance in the first quarter to celebrate an incomplete pass (it wasn't a sack). Not to mention the "Lights Out" phrase shaved in his head.

Plenty of disrespect there. And the Patriots didn't forget it. But they did there talking after the game was over - after the win. Hobbs does the "mock dance" and Colvin goes down the hallway yelling "Lights Out chumps!". Seems to me you reap what you sow. Tomlinson should check his own team's past (not his but his team) before making any comments.

((Note: I do not think the Pats should have done any of it, whether provoked or not. I hate sack dances, touchdown dances, any dances. They are payed to play football, not act like children.))

2. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Wow, it's been a while...

Coming soon to a NFL stadium near you.. Ron Mexico II: Electric Boogaloo

3. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

Its pretty dumb to be bringing bottles to the airport in the first place.

4. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Have you seen those little cups they give you? Okay, Vick probably doesn't fly coach, but still....

5. RedFusion

RedFusion tOSU 37 scUM 7

6. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

You can all just call me Ron Christmas Island.

7. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

Watching the Pats-Colts game and I'm outraged. I don't see how Ellis Hobbs comitted pass interference. Yes he had his back to the reciever. But he did NOT touch him. He did NOT interfere with the reciever. Blocking the reciever's sight shouldn't be a penalty, you can do that facing the ball. I don't see how it hitting his back is any different from him hitting his front. This is a stupid rule.

BTW, I am posting this during the game, right after said penalty, so I'm not complaining if we lose.

8. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

By the rule book, that is a penalty. Great call.

9. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

By rule, that's a penalty, but it really shouldn't be. It's a horrible rule.

I'm rooting for the Colts, by the way.

10. Syterion

Syterion Voodoo Economist

AHHH and now there is an obvious pass interference against Caldwell and there was no call! The ball was over his head, and he would have been able to get his arms higher, but the defender put his head into his chest. I am livid.

11. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

Pass interference is a very convoluted and subjective rule with a very byzantine definition. The officials really don't have a fighting chance at determining what it is and what it isn't.

It really needs to be reformed and overhauled in general.

Like holding.

12. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Yeah, that was definitely a pass interference call - Caldwell almost had the ball until the defender twisted him with his arms. But anyway...

32 second half points.

Pass interference calls.

Dropped balls by Caldwell.

4 (or more) 60+ yard drives in the second half.

Blowing a 18 point lead.

All that adds up to heartbreak.

13. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

Kind of like having great regular season records, and then not being clutch every time in the playoffs. That is what the Colts went through. I don't mean the same thing but the same emotion.

14. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

:dance: Miami here we come!

15. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

Bears-Colts. I like both teams. Dunno who to root for.

16. shortguy

shortguy It's a working title

I have to go with the Bears, because Thomas Jones is one of us, and I'm glad to see that he seems finally to have made it.

17. El Justo

El Justo Deity

congrats to all bears and colts fans :D

the bears really made a statement in that game imo. kudos to grossman, too, for shedding his demons (sort of).

and all's i gotta say about that indi-ne game is wow! holy comeback batman!

18. El Justo

El Justo Deity

early line:

indi's laying 7 :eek:

O/U ranges from 48 1/2 to 49

not sure i really agree w/ a full TD like that...i take those early points if i was a bettin' man :)

i'd think that the line would come down some as kickoff nears. no?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/odds

19. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

It's an improvement El J.

Before the playoffs started the AFC was giving 14 and before yesterday's game it was 5 1/2. The Colts have come together at the right time with their defense stepping up. There's no question they have the weapons to put lots of points on the board but everyone forgets how many the Bears have averaged this year. I still think it comes down to defenses. Can the Bears create havoc by creating turnovers? Can the Colts stop the Bears rush offense which suddenly has Ced Benson beating the crap out of people while Thomas Jones reels off the long ones. New Orleans may have a better offense than the Colts but we'll see if Manning and his O line can adjust unlike Brees and his O line.

20. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Wow, it's been a while...

The Bears have as much a shot in this Super Bowl as the Gators did in the BCS Championship Game.