1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2008 Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Junzi Nicuzn, Dec 30, 2008.

1. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

:) Man the eagles get two straight games against the Panthers and can't win either? The all NFC superbowl should be fun though;)

Realistically i think it will be panthers steelers in the SB. I think the steelers will win it, their D is really good. I think they can hold that team down.

2. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

It's in a dome in Arizona, so the Cardinals' passing game should function pretty OK. And it's the first playoff game for a rookie QB, so that would make me somewhat nervous (but then again Matt Ryan is no ordinary rookie QB). So I'm just going with the home team, the experienced QB, and the all-world receiver tandem.

3. holy king

holy king Deity

AFC Wild Card Round
    Colts @ Chargers, Jan 3 @ 8:00 PM
    Ravens @ Dolphins, Jan 4 @ 1:00 PM

NFC Wild Card Round
    Falcons @ Cardinals, Jan 3 @ 4:30 PM
    Eagles @ Vikings, Jan 4 @ 4:30 PM

AFC Divisional Round
    Colts @ Steelers
    Ravens @ Titans

NFC Divisional Round
    Eagles @ Giants
    Falcons @ Panthers

AFC Championship Game
    Steelers @ Titans

NFC Championship Game
    Eagles @ Panthers

Superbowl
    Steelers vs. Panthers

4. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

Dome or no dome, warner has looked really bad for the last half of the season almost. Hightower, and edge have been bad too.

5. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

In January, they don't need the ?#!*&%!@(*&% dome. Of course,
    it will likely be closed... In any event, the Cards have been so pathetic outside the division that it won't help them anyways.

6. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Perhaps you're right. I just have a feeling that the Cards will be able to pass on the Falcons. Warner has definately looked bad lately, but he is an experienced playoff QB and he has a pair of fantastic receivers, so I think they'll start fast and force the ball into Matt Ryans hands, and make him pass to win the game. I'm not saying Ryan can't do that, but he is still a rookie QB in his first playoff game, so it's not a given that he and the Falcons will steamroll the Cards...

7. Azale

Azale Deity

The Cardinals D has been pathetic, much moreso than Warner the last 8 weeks. I don't think Ryan will have to attempt it more than 15 times to win.

Remember, the Falcons did handle New Orleans pretty well. New Orleans and Arizona are very similar, IMO, with Brees just having the luck of playing in the second best division in football ;)

8. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

AFC Wild Card Round
    Colts @ Chargers, Jan 3 @ 8:00 PM
    Ravens @ Dolphins, Jan 4 @ 1:00 PM

NFC Wild Card Round
    Falcons @ Cardinals, Jan 3 @ 4:30 PM
    Eagles @ Vikings, Jan 4 @ 4:30 PM

AFC Divisional Round
    Colts @ Steelers
    Ravens @ Titans

NFC Divisional Round
    Eagles @ Giants
    Falcons @ Panthers

AFC Championship Game
    Steelers @ Titans

NFC Championship Game
    Giants @ Panthers

Superbowl
    Steelers vs. Giants

9. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I'm not picking a Flacco led team to beat a Manning, a Rivers or a Big Ben.

I'm not exactly picking Arizona here, but I don't that game is a Lock for the Falcons. Consider...

Kurt Wanner (Super Bowl MVP) with the most explosive passing attack in the NFL, against an Atlanta Passing D thats hardly 100% lockdown, and a rookie QB.

The Falcons are built to play with a lead, not to score a bunch of points in a hurry. If Arizona can get a jump on the Falcons early, they can take the ball out of Turners hand, and let Ryan make a mistake.

10. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

The Cardinals' problem is that, outside of 1 game, they have no successful running attack. Odds are, we're going to exploit that by double-covering Fitz and blitzing Lofton/Abraham. If Arizona actually had a running attack, I would be worried. I also don't get your quote, downtown, that the Falcons are built to play with a lead, not score points in a hurry. We typically score alot of points in the 1st quarter to get said lead!

I think that Ryan has demonstrated that against a middling to inferior opponent, passing and tension drives don't matter. Now, I'm not picking the Falcons to go to the SuperBowl, but as a Falcons fan, out of any NFC team that we had to play, the best option was Arizona, by far.

I feel the Cardinals' biggest problem is that they haven't had a meaningful game in well over a month. Meanwhile, the Falcons were seconds away from winning their division last Sunday, having to play meaningful games throughout December to make it to the playoffs. I think that helps their freshness.

The Cardinals other problem is that the cardinals can't beat quality opponents.

Look at their wins and losses since November. They have beaten
    St. Louis 2x, Seattle once, San Francisco once. They have lost to New England, Philadelpha, Minnesota, the G-men, and Seattle. What is the difference in these teams? Philly, Min, and NYG made the playoffs, and New England should have. NONE of their victories came against playoff teams.

Meanwhile, Atlanta has beaten Oakland, New Orleans, Carolina, Minnesota, San Diego, Tampa Bay, and St. Louis. Atlanta has lost to Denver and New Orleans. Clearly, Atlanta has beaten several playoff teams, while losing to teams that are far, far better than the teams the Cardinals have beaten.

You have to look at who has beaten whom. Sure, the Cards have two great receivers. They have an awful offensive line and no rush game.

11. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

The Cardinals have already given up. Edge is talking about not being there in 2009.

12. The Menace

The Menace Warlord

AFC Wild Card
    Indianapolis @ San Diego
    Baltimore @ Miami

NFC Wild Card
    Atlanta @ Arizona
    Philadelphia @ Minnesota

AFC Divisional
    Indianapolis @ Pittsburgh
    Baltimore @ Tennessee

NFC Divisional
    Philadelphia @ New York Giants
    Atlanta @ Carolina

AFC Championship
    Baltimore @ Pittsburgh

NFC Championship
    Carolina @ New York Giants

Super Bowl
    Pittsburgh vs New York Giants

13. Azale

Azale Deity

AMAZING flea flicker! Wow, Fitz has some crazy good hands

14. holy king

holy king Deity

just that the flea flicker didnt really achieve what it is meant to. :lol:

15. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

Good grief it sure looks like we were wrong so far. The falcons look bad. Their line can't do anything for the run or the pass. Edge looks like his ol self. i forgot that I liked him.

16. The Menace

The Menace Warlord

Hey Atlanta, you know the game is ongoing, right? Wow.

17. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Cards win baybeeeee

18. Junzi Nicuzn

Junzi Nicuzn Gaijin Samurai

And prove a lot of people wrong in the process, myself included. This whole season was full of surprises, and if the playoffs keep that trend up I think they'll be very enjoyable.

19. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

Well, after all my analyses, what I forgot is that our offensive line SUCKS. Atlanta, please go after another tackle in the draft. Our line was awful, every snap there was a cardinal past a guard or tackle in our backfield!!!

20. Azale

Azale Deity

I knew this SD-Indy game would be epic.

EDIT: Darren Sproles should be getting a nice contract extension :D I love it when TD's end an OT game.