1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2008 regular season

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Darkness, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Exactly. There's a huge load of scientific research on that, but basically the mass of body muscle starts to decline after roughly age 35 (individual variation and other factors (training, genetic disposition, personal history, etc.))...

2. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

Didn't george blanda, morton & gary anderson kick until they were like 50? I think someone brought gary anderson back last year as a matter of fact. I think he started back in 80..maybe

3. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Jason Campbell has no future. He's not going to be a superstar QB. He's not going to be a great QB. He's going to be a solid QB, which is fine, but it doesn't do the franchise anything.

If you told me we would 7-9 games this season in August, I would have been fine. However, when you have shown you are a team that can win more than that, you need some accountability. Especially when you lose to St. Louis and Cincinnati. Or the offense sucks.

Jim Zorn will be a fine HC in 5 years. Right now, he has no control of this team. And he never will at this point.

I really wish my computer didn't suck, I had a great 5 paragraph essay/post about this situation, but it crashed, so I'll give you this half-a$$ effort instead.

Bill Cowher.

4. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

that dude just wouldn't look right coaching anyone but the steelers. Maybe the bears. I hope he stays retired, i hate when someone plays or coaches one team for a long time and then plays the end of their career or comes back to play with another team.

5. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

Giants & Titans big dogs all year long but it looks like the Steelers & Panthers who are peaking at the right time.

6. djvandrake

djvandrake Prince

Yes they have, and I wish them success. I am very impressed with Mike Singletary (and not just because he was a linebacker for the Bears). He seems to have a knack for leading the players as well as full knowledge of the game. If San Fran doesn't make him the head coach, can St. Louis have him? We'll trade you for Bulger. :lol:

7. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Their accuracy probably didn't diminish, but their leg strength did. For example Morten Anderson with Atlanta last year. He didn't kick long field goals, the Falcons used the punter (Koenen) for that. Didn't work that well, so they spend money upgrade the kicking position (Elam).

8. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

I wonder how that would work though, i would think muscle memory that would help you be accurate would go right along with the strength. i don't know anything about it though and thats probably for another thread...

edit... just noticed Thomas Jones is leading the afc in rushing with 1200 yards..thats pretty weak... no more priest holmes, LT, Jamal Lewis, Larry Johnson leading the league. I wonder what the lowest number has been in recent times to lead the league?

9. Mauer

Mauer Pompous Noble

http://www.eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/history/leaders/rushing.html

Worst all time as a league leader:
    1982 Freeman McNeil, New York Jets 786 yards

There hasn't been anyone rush for less than 1400 yards and lead the league since Thurman Thomas in 1993 (1315 yards).

10. Azale

Azale Deity

Thomas Jones isn't leading the league though. Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner, Clinton Portis, and I think Forte too have over 1200 yards easy.

NFC represent :p

11. Mauer

Mauer Pompous Noble

1. Adrian Peterson 1581
    2. Michael Turner 1421
    3. Clinton Portis 1337
    4. DeAngelo Williams 1229
    5. Thomas Jones 1222

Everyone else is under 1200

12. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

13. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

R.I.P. Sammy Baugh, Redskins legend.

One of the greatest Skins ever to play the game, and one of the first great QB's of the NFL. He really could do it all too and he is still in the Redskins record books.

14. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Still in the league books too.

15. jeps

jeps Arcadefire

colts/broncos take 3.

and keep in mind the definition of idiocy is doing the same thing again and expecting different results. ;)

16. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

Maybe it is because I'm sick, but I don't understand your post jeps

I heard yesterday that Baugh still holds the record for highest punt average. incredible. With all of the bad teams that would be punting for distance over the years I would figure someone would have broken that one.

17. Azale

Azale Deity

Anyone else besides Cowboys fans hoping Ware breaks the faux sack record that Strahan currently holds?

Maybe McNabb will conveniently fall for Ware if it's close :rolleyes:

18. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Me.

I've always thought the "gimme-Favre-sack" was a bit of a taint on the record. If Ware can break it without any "help" from opposing QB's then that'd be great, IMHO.

19. Azale

Azale Deity

Fire Wade Phillips already. This is not Aikman, Irvin, and Emmit. You can not have the HC equivalent of Chan Gailey and Barry Switzer out there. If this team can not even show half the effort of the other team on a night like this....Phillips has to go.

Billick, Cowher, Singletary, Holmgren, Schottenheimer, Schwartz, Garrett, Rob Ryan, I'll take anyone besides this "player's coach". Hurry up Jerry, the one thing the Cowboys still have might also be gone by the end of this year (our championship lead, if Pittsburgh wins another one).

EDIT: Just for posterity, Romo was terrific when it mattered in this game in TWO down the field drives at the end of the game with ZERO room for error. Somehow we still found a way to blow it twice and it will be twisted as "Romo can't win the big game".

Whatever, I knew we would underachieve big time this year. Wade was a 1 year stopgap, always was.

I need some of these: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

A couple of weeks ago if things had kept going down hill you might have been able to swing andy reid. If we make the playoffs though, he's probably locked up. Holmgren seems like a good fit.