1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2008 regular season

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Darkness, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Azale

Azale Deity

Emmitt's offensive line being good is about as much a detraction as Joe Montana having Jerry Rice. Sanders has all time records in negative yardage and was often pulled as the Lions would get closer to the goal line. He also has that horrible -1 yard game against Green Bay in the playoffs to his name.

Although I do think Walter Payton and maybe Jim Brown are both better than Smith.

2. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

I think Eric Dickerson was better. Of course he was one of the guys I was brought up to like. So maybe it was just someone I watched when i was younger, but that dude was great. I never saw Jim Brown to know.

I think it is the same argument as like a Dan Marino and Joe Montana. Weapons aorund him vs few weapons. Really good team vs. sort of good team.

3. Azale

Azale Deity

Dickerson was good, but wasn't his career pretty short? You could throw Gale Sayers or Earl Campbell too, but I think longevity counts for alot.

4. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

yes but remember an injury in the 60's or 70's that was career ending is but a 6 month rehab due to medical improvements today.

5. Azale

Azale Deity

Your point? :p I think Gale Sayers injury was pretty bad, modern medicine or not. Campbell was just beaten and bruised, being basically the whole offense of the Houston Oilers.

6. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

Well from basically 83-89 he gained enough yards to be second on the all time list at the time. In fewer attempts than Michael turner had this year he gained more than 2000 yards. Dominating. I don't know how much longevity matters. Thats all luck to me, and as is the case with earl campbell, is a function of the team you get put on. I mean Dickerson played for another 4 years after 89, but those years didn't matter much. Those last years Emmitt played were a joke and I hated knowing he was playing just to get the record. the same way Biggio played just to get 3000 hits.

7. Azale

Azale Deity

Emmitt's last years were a joke, IMO, if he wasn't the best option. Sadly he was the best option, Hambrick was the real joke. The whole team basically deteriorated around him, so who knows if he had a Curtis Martin esque run left in him or not.

Also, Payton's last few years were pretty mediocre too if I remember right.

Biggio was also still good enough to deserve a spot in the lineup. If he has maintained his health and his skill level is still good enough to go at near 40 years of age, why not go for 3000?

8. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Having not seen Jim Brown, it's Payton for me, hands down. The reason is that during Payton's prime, he was having 16-1700 yard seasons for teams where he was the entire offense, and everyone over the age of 2 knew it. Not to mention those teams sucked through a straw.

9. Mauer

Mauer Pompous Noble

No love for the juice?....lol

10. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

Here is some love...greatest actor EVER

11. Azale

Azale Deity

12. Aegis

Aegis Deity

Emmet's offensive line was full of Pro-bowlers and Hall of Famers. The holes he ran through were so big my dead grandmother could have ran through them. Backwards. He would constantly run 5-8 yards before even being touched. I'm not saying he's a bad back, but he does owe a lot of his success to his blockers.

Smith also had a perennial pro-bowl TE, and Hall-of-Fame QB and WR on his offense, making it so teams could not stack the box against him.

Barry Sanders, on the other hand, always had crappy teams around him. His offensive line was usually mediocre, at best. The Lions had one good season where Scott Mitchell, Herman Moore and Johnnie Morton actually pulled their weight and put out a balanced attack, which was back in 1997 (not so coincidentally, the same year Sanders broke 2000 yards). All other times, Sanders was their offense.

Blame the offensive line and Wayne Fontes for that.

13. El Justo

El Justo Deity

for as much as i loathe all things dallas, i've got to admit that emmit smith was one of the best RBs ever, irregardless of who he was surrounded by. he was slippery and had an uncanny knack of exploiting even the smallest crack in a hole. yes, he had a bunch of HoF guys all around him and all that. but the dude was a machine.

14. Aegis

Aegis Deity

He had great vision/field awareness and one of the best stiff-arms I've ever seen.

My top picks would be, in this order:

Payton
    Brown
    Sayers
    Simpson
    Sanders
    Smith
    Dickerson
    Faulk

15. El Justo

El Justo Deity

16. Aegis

Aegis Deity

My equation was their ability to run with the ball.

Winning the Super Bowls is a team effort. No team can win the SB with just a fantastic RB. If you're suggesting that Brown, Sayers, Sanders and Simpson aren't some of the best backs in history because their teams were not good enough to win the Super Bowl, I'd call you crazy.

If you're going to factor in TD's scored as a major reason, we'd have to talk about players like Marcus Allen, who is not on the same level as these other players.

17. Azale

Azale Deity

Barry Sanders assaulted the defense better than Emmitt Smith assaults the English language, but he was an all or nothing guy. He had the best cuts in NFL history, but he wasn't invincible and most of the negative yardage to his credit is due to HIM, not his Oline or Wayne Fontes (the best coach in the Lions illustrious history :p ).

He was pulled out near the goal line because he couldn't get the tough yards. Fontes wasn't the only coach during Sanders career, didn't Ross also pull him out?

IMO, if Smith was on the Lions they at least win a few more playoff games. Maybe even get to the Superbowl the year they were close with Barry. If Barry was in Dallas, I think we lose one of those Superbowls or one of those NFC Championship Games.

18. El Justo

El Justo Deity

no, i'm not saying that they're not some of the best backs in history :rolleyes: i just think that you're devaluing smith's worth...and you're probably a redskins fan, too!

19. Aegis

Aegis Deity

Smith was on the list. I had him after Sanders, but before Faulk.

20. Azale

Azale Deity

I don't blame Lions fans for being defensive on this (I don't know if your a Lions fan, Aegis, if you are bless your soul :p ), considering how Ford has run this franchise into the ground. Sanders is the only all time great I can think of offensively for the Lions, and one of only two all time with Night Train Lane.

Apparently, according to wiki, Doak Walker was a Lion too.

EDIT: Ahh LeBeau too, man that was a good CB trio back in the '60s