NFL 2008 regular season

Who wins the NFC West? I can't believe Arizona, freaking Arizona looks like the strongest team right now.

Seattle is notoriously bad at cross country games, I think they'll right the ship.

Tom Brady's out for the season.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady will undergo surgery on an injured left knee and miss the rest of the season, the team announced Monday.

Amid reports that Brady had torn his anterior cruciate ligament, Matt Cassel said Monday he was ready to fill in for Brady next week against the New York Jets.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3575339

First thought: who is Matt Cassel?
Second: Jets now favoured to win AFC East?

I don't know why anyone thought the Rams would be good. Torry Holt has been declining for several years (after a tremendous career peak), and was not reported to have emerged from a time machine in the offseason. The line was banged-up last year, and got older. Steven Jackson is excellent, but doesn't help much if the team gives up 300 passing yards in the first half. The defense was awful, and added a single, highly-touted rookie. It's not simply Linehan -- the team just doesn't have that much talent left. It's going to be a several-year rebuilding project.

Cleo

Matt Cassel is a career backup, I believe he was a backup at USC as well. He is semi-notorious for being the guy that was put in when the Pats were routing the Dolphins last year and got pulled when he couldn't even last more than about 5 minutes before putting Brady back in.

He actually did OK Sunday, we shall see what he can do but I think our game now turns to our backs, who fortunately we have a lot of. I hope the coaches can find a game plan suited to Cassel, I foresee a lot of screens, short dump passes, with the occasional bomb to Moss but not as often as we got used to last year. We still have a good set of backs and receivers that will make defenses spread the field. I am cautiously optimistic he can at least not totally suck, that's all I am asking.

It definitely makes the east more exciting to watch, but if our O line can come back healthy I still think the talent on our squad makes us competitive to win the division, but my optimism is not shared by my doom and gloom new england buddies. (But some of my east coast friends are almost excited to get back to the old feelings of misery, it is kind of strange)

Bulger's getting killed again? Too bad, because he is really a good QB. The problem is that the offensive line sucks (it has for about 5 years, but it's really disastrous now). And without an offensive line nobody can perform.

At the start of the 2nd quarter, Pace was the only lineman without a penalty attributed to him. Jim Johnson just overloaded every 3rd down or obvious passing play and the Rams OLine made a nice little beeline path for them.

The offense's job is to score points. The defense's job is to stop points. On that day, our offense did a good job. You can call us "cheats" (evidence?) or "arrogant punks" (evidence?), but what the team really should do is try to get better and improve so that you beat us fairly next time. Holding a grudge isn't really admirable.

Really, do you need to be explained Spygate again? Or are you making more stupid excuses for your cheating coaches and team? And let's not even get started with the arrogant punks - Lights Out. Please, don't even try and start. Don't make excuses for the Patriots, they deserve what they get. Excusing your team for cheating, being punks, running up the score, etc. isn't admirable either. When the Patriots share the same record with the Redskins, I will laugh. It's great to see a team like this go down in flames.

Red Door,

I think it is fair to complain that Campbell threw the ball way behind the first down line on fourth down (whether it's his fault for doing so or the coaches' for telling him to check down, I don't know). It wasn't a screen, where he had blockers. Listen, maybe you guys down there in Washington aren't familiar with the "West Coast Offense." I'm an Eagles fan -- I had to watch McNabb throw three yard passes on 3rd-and-10 to James Thrash, Chad Lewis, and Duce Staley for years. If it works, it's because of a three-blown-tackles / perfect-juke miracle. What's more, in this situation, if he doesn't break all those tackles, you lose the game. You have to throw it past -- or at least close -- to the line. Just figure out who R.W. McQuarters is covering, and throw it to him.

Cleo

Yes, I know the West Coast Offense. It was Campbell's first NFL game with it, so you can't expect perfection. And really, the Betts check-down was the only option available when you watch the tape, anything else is a pick. With Betts, you get a chance (a small one, but still one) at making it past the line. It was the least wrong decision he could have thrown to on the play.

I don't know why anyone thought the Rams would be good. Torry Holt has been declining for several years (after a tremendous career peak), and was not reported to have emerged from a time machine in the offseason. The line was banged-up last year, and got older. Steven Jackson is excellent, but doesn't help much if the team gives up 300 passing yards in the first half. The defense was awful, and added a single, highly-touted rookie. It's not simply Linehan -- the team just doesn't have that much talent left. It's going to be a several-year rebuilding project.

Cleo

I didn't think they would be good. But there's a difference between being bad and being simply disastrously bad...

Parhaps Holt is declining, perhaps not... Do keep in mind that he played the last two years on a bum knee. But he still put up 90 catches and almost 1200 yards in each of those two years. Yes, that's a decline from what he previously produced, but he set the bar pretty high for himself. He was, after all, the fastest WR to gain 10,000 yards...

IMHO, on offense, Holt is not the problem. The problem is a louzy offensive line and a lack of production from the other wide receivers (please, please cut Drew Bennett... :cry: ). Which means Holt gets double coverage all the time and Bulger has no time to throw...

I didn't think they would be good. But there's a difference between being bad and being simply disastrously bad...

Parhaps Holt is declining, perhaps not... Do keep in mind that he played the last two years on a bum knee. But he still put up 90 catches and almost 1200 yards in each of those two years. Yes, that's a decline from what he previously produced, but he set the bar pretty high for himself. He was, after all, the fastest WR to gain 10,000 yards...

IMHO, on offense, Holt is not the problem. The problem is a louzy offensive line and a lack of production from the other wide receivers (please, please cut Drew Bennett... :cry: ). Which means Holt gets double coverage all the time and Bulger has no time to throw...

Don't get me wrong -- I'd love to have the 2008 version of Torry Holt on the Eagles. Torry Holt from 2008 > Hank Baskett from any year. And it's not like he fell off a cliff -- he's just not one of the best receivers in football anymore, and having one very good receiver and a bunch of no-names doesn't cut it.

Cleo

The Patriots are now going to be an interesting case. I think they have some offensive firepower to do well, but their first team was awful in the pre-season without the Dreamboat, and they barely beat a sorry Chiefs squad at home. Is it crazy to say that the defense even might be rebuilding a little bit?

It'll be one off-year for the Patriots in what has been a phenomenal decade of football. Sometimes your star QB gets knocked out, and you just hope for the best. Take my advice on this point: I'm an Eagles fan.

Regarding their ethical questions: I think it's undeniable that they were running up the score, but I think it's also the defense's job to stop them, and that Pats fans can't complain when everyone roots against them for it. As The Onion reported after the Super Bowl: Patriots' Season Perfect for Rest of Nation.

Cleo

Their core Defense is old but it seems like they always plug in new guys every year that I haven't heard of, and it works out.

I will be very happy with a 10-6 season. Ecstatic, actually. I don't see the Bills doing much better than that but it will be interesting. I am more worried about the Jets than the Bills. A loss next week will do a lot to shock my confidence though. And I will definitely not be answering my phone either :lol:

Everyone hates the Pats, I know. Especially in the Bay Area, I think if I went to a Raiders game I would be murdered, seriously. And for good reason. I've gotten used to it, but the misery I've endured in the past makes it special enough that I can ignore it. I like shiny trophies and celebrating so I could care less.

When the Patriots share the same record with the Redskins, I will laugh.

I imagine that will be a pretty amusing day in general, what with the flying pigs, the sun rising in the west, and the ice-skating devils. :D

I generally can't stand the Pats and especially Pats fans, but the amount of venom expressed towards them in the last year, and the amount of satisfaction people seem to be getting out of this injury is really sad. They are a very good football team. Not the perfect superteam people sometimes make them out to be, but still excellent at what they do.

I imagine that will be a pretty amusing day in general, what with the flying pigs, the sun rising in the west, and the ice-skating devils. :D

I generally can't stand the Pats and especially Pats fans, but the amount of venom expressed towards them in the last year, and the amount of satisfaction people seem to be getting out of this injury is really sad. They are a very good football team. Not the perfect superteam people sometimes make them out to be, but still excellent at what they do.

How is the ire not deserved? The Pats were running up the score atrociously against any team they could do it to. The Skins and Bills got some of the worst of it. It isn't good to be happy someone got hurt - then again - it isn't cool to rub it in when you're obviously the better team playing an obviously inferior team.

They were a 'superteam', any time a team goes 15-1 16-0, even 14-2 it is an amazing accomplishment, seemingly unstoppable juggernauts. His injury does change that, it should give people some satisfaction that there team now has a chance at competing in the AFC East - the AFC all over.

ok, please do not tell me ESPN still owns monday night football. Hopefully ABC got it back

Darn there is no sound in the video

Daunte Culpepper ;)

Top Bottom