NFL 2008 regular season

Franchise tag his arse. What is seriously not to like about Carolina? Young, consistent winning, good coach with a defensive slant, he gets his numbers, they can pay him.

Yes on the Franchise Tag :goodjob: , of course more money will likely soothe
him a bit :mischief: ... like almost everyone else.

That's a terrible thing to say! All players play for the love of the competition! :mischief:

I don't mind Peppers wanting a payday in his free agent year, but I just think his reasoning to leave Carolina is ******ed and should be ignored.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3855917

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Chiefs coach Herm Edwards was fired Friday. And former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan may be in line to replace him.

The Chiefs have been in negotiations to land Shanahan as their next coach and a deal is near, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!

From a Denver sports blog which sums up the situation nicely:

EDIT, 4:09 PM: The source on this, naturally, is ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, who says the Chiefs and Mike Shanahan are CLOSE to a deal. His competition over at NFL Network, Adam Schefter, is saying there has been no contact between the two parties. Schefter, of course, used to be the Broncos beat writer at the Denver Post, so it’s a fair assumption that he’s still got some strong connection to Shanahan’s people. The Philadelphia Daily News is reporting that Arizona offensive coordinator Todd Haley is the choice in KC, but they have to wait until after the Super Bowl.

Either way, we’re still keeping an eye on this.

EDIT, 11:30 PM: Chris Mortensen has backed off his original report stating Mike Shanahan was all but assured of being the next head coach of the Chiefs. Mortensen stated he had one league source say it was a done deal this afternoon, but after talking to several other sources, he is saying Shanahan is not likely to be the Chiefs next head coach. I would say this is far from over, but right now it looks like Adam Schefter was correct and Mortensen was incorrect.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3859405

When Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher broke the news to Kerry Collins last week that he was headed to the Pro Bowl, he also communicated directly to Collins that he indeed wants him back as his starting quarterback in 2009, a team source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Real question is " how is Collins on the pro bowl team over Rivers, Pennington, Cassel or Roethlisberger?

Rivers Rehabing, don't know about the rest.

Real question is " how is Collins on the pro bowl team over Rivers, Pennington, Cassel or Roethlisberger?

The Flaming Thumbtacks' record? I can seen Big Ben not being on the
list - thanks to lots of "help" from his offensive line, he was a bit
inconsistent this year.

Big Ben had more turnovers than Romo and less TD's. I think Rivers, Pennington, and Cassel definitely had a case to be in over Collins.

Big Ben had more turnovers than Romo and less TD's. I think Rivers, Pennington, and Cassel definitely had a case to be in over Collins.

Absolutely.
Especially Pennington, IMHO. When things go wrong for his team it is always blamed on his lack of arm strength, but he never seems to get much credit when his team does very well...

I know these are minor but is there something in the water in Dallas that makes you run to a camera and say stupid things?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3869452

The Dallas Cowboys have fined tight end Martellus Bennett $22,000 for his role in a YouTube video that contained profanity and used derogatory language towards blacks and gays, The (Fort Worth) Star-Telegram reported, citing two sources.

Believe it or not, Greg Ellis is kind of grumpy about his role. He made that pretty clear during an interview on 105.3 The Fan's Ben and Skin Show this afternoon. Ellis isn't pleased that Anthony Spencer plays the vast majority of first and second downs now. And Ellis is still perturbed that, when he did play in the base defense last season, he spent a lot of time dropping back in coverage instead of rushing the passer. Of course, Ellis is far from the only Cowboy who isn't happy with the way the coaches use him. And there's apparently a lot of questioning the coaches in the Valley Ranch locker room.

Bennett has always been a loudmouth and an idiot. Freaking Aggies. Not surprised.

Ellis has been grumpy for about 3 years now. If he wants to come back he can, but if he wants to retire then it's not a humongous loss.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9185248/Patriots-put-franchise-tag-on-QB-Cassel?MSNHPHMA

The New England Patriots placed the franchise tag on Matt Cassel on Thursday, making it tougher for other teams to sign the free agent quarterback.

The Patriots might keep him if they have doubts that Tom Brady will be ready for the start of next season after sustaining a serious knee injury in the 2008 opener. If they're confident Brady will be ready, they could trade Cassel rather than pay him the $14.65 million offer for 2009 in the franchise designation

If the Pats do trade him, would the acquiring team be obliged to pay the franchise tag
salary, or could they negotiate their own deal?

Top Bottom