1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2015 regular season!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I didn't catch it when he first did it, but on the replay it looks like he led with his crotch. :eek:

I laughed so hard when the security guard cringed. She's been sitting there bored for the whole game until WHAM! Probably heard the smack on the goalpost before he touched her arm or hair or whatever.

2. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I'm sure everyone will be shocked (SHOCKED, I tell you!) to learn that the Browns' decision makers don't agree on how to handle the QB situation.

3. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Taking it with a grain of salt since it's from ESPN, but they're reporting that Andy Dalton is most likely done for the season with a thumb injury, slim chance he might be back for the playoffs.

Also I would not be surprised to see Grigson and Pagano both fired tomorrow morning. No excuse to get embarrassed by the god damn Jaguars like that.

4. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Well, on the bright side, two of our three remaining games are Baltimore and San Fransisco.

But on the dark side, ROIRHQIIIAJFIH$ERIH I SWEAR IF THIS IS ANOTHER GODDAMN YEAR WITH NO PLAYOFF VICTORY R3IHR4I2 KBTQRQRGKHWQT

Ahem.

Forgive me. And [redacted] the Steelers.

5. Serutan

Dalton says he broke his thumb per CBS site. McCarron didn't look bad all things considered, but he wasn't good enough, so the Bengals be hosed now.

And how 'bout them Raiders!

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

More like "that Raider." Mack was like a one man gang. Offense didn't do much of anything. Special teams made a play. Mack wrecked the Broncos offense all by himself.

7. Serutan

True enough. Of course this discussion doesn't happen if the two of the Broncos first half
    scores had been touchdowns instead of field goals.

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Yeah, when your defense holds the opponent to -12 yards for the half you are supposed to come away with more than a nine point lead. So much for the Brockinator. Time to go back to Peyton Manning.

I'm thinking it won't make much difference though. The strength in the AFC down the stretch looks like it is going to be the wild card teams. Nobody wants to face Pittsburgh, or Kansas City.

9. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Don't fall into that fantasy trap where defenses are cheap and generic, Tim!

Also, I'm relieved the Pats could stem the bleeding tonight.

10. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

No worries. I am a great respecter of defenses. So much so that I am perplexed by why the Patriots are so obviously reliant on their offense (no Gronk, no victory) since their defense is flat out stacked and certainly not cheap.

But KC is not only stacked on D, they have top tier superstars mixed into the stack...or at least they will once they start getting healthy. That's why they would be best avoided.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, seems to believe that they should put up at least thirty-five, no matter what defense they come up against. And they are backing it up. I wouldn't want to be up against that come playoff time either if I were a "got a big lead and hung on for dear life to win the division" team.

I wouldn't want to see either one coming to town if I were the "champion" of the sad sack south. There's nothing more discouraging to the fan base than getting blown off your own field in the opening round of the playoffs, and Houston of Indy may well get totally thrashed playing those guys.

11. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I can't believe they lost to the freaking Raiders...A golden opportunity to get the #1 seed flushed down the toilet...Demaryius Thomas dropping passes like crazy, I swear he should give back the money from his big contract...The offensive line played like garbage...

12. Light Cleric

Well, to be fair, it's not the atrociously bad Raiders of old. They're not great, but they're not the perennial contenders for the #1 overall pick like before.

13. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Yeah I wish the 49ers would just lose-out the season and start the long rebuilding process. No point in winning any games this season, TBH it was over before it began... Never thought I would say I miss Alex Smith:sad:

Losing to Cleveland was a good start though :cringe:

14. Serutan

Agree. The old Raiders would have folded in the 2nd half and gotten blown out. But
    they had no business winning this particular game.

15. Light Cleric

I've been right there with everyone else in drubbing the Niners for chasing Harbaugh out, but it's interesting that Kaepernick is largely a mess of Harbaugh' making not once but twice.

First time was trying to land Peyton Manning which, okay, it's Peyton Manning, that's understandable. But then he kept denying they ever pursued him and apparently lied to Alex Smith about it(or at least some details of it).

Second time he uses a concussion to bench Smith for Kaepernick and then Smith gets shipped out of town. Kaepernick wasn't amazing in Harbaugh's last year and now he's probably done in SF. Meanwhile Alex Smith is out in KC doing pretty well in spite of Andy Reid's best efforts and inability to understand a clock.

Harbaugh actually deserves a lot of blame for that, but it didn't come close to justifying getting rid of him. Trent Baalke and the trust fund owner baby running Mommy and Daddy's franchise into the ground and knucklehead players who think "we got over the mountain" by losing a Super Bowl made it easy for him to come out looking squeaky clean despite being a real snake to Alex.

This is just an outsider's perspective, obviously Owen etc. know way more than I do about that dumpster fire over there.

16. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

In retrospect keeping Smith was obviously the right play. But I still think picking Kaepernick over Smith at the time made a lot of sense. Kaepernick had a lot more upside to Smith going into that year - he was a bigger running threat with much better downfield accuracy which were big points the Niners were trying to address at the time since in 2010/11 the Niners offense was typified by slow, methodical grinding that stalled out around the 30 yard line. The defense was good enough that all the team really needed was one or two explosive plays resulting in touchdowns and wins were pretty much assured from there. Which Kaepernick brought to the team in that first year. I don't see the Niners beating the Packers with Smith.

Long run bad decision. But I don't blame them for making that decision in the first place.

17. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Agree with all this. Its why so many 49er fans (myself included) were pushing Alex out the door. Kaepernick seemed superior in every way. TBH Smith is in KC just being Smith... giving mediocre, but consistent, INT-low/free performances week-in, week-out, which was perfectly suited to the 49ers former Ground-and-Pound style. We just fell for the flash in the pan hook-line-and-sinker.

To be fair, Kaepernick performed much better when they just put him under center and let him run on instinct and not have to do too much thinking, but once they started putting him in Shotgun all the time and trying to turn him into a passer he (and the offense) was doomed.

18. Serutan

Which IMO is another way of saying he was doomed, period. Give DCs enough film,
    and the running gets neutralized (See Vick, Michael and Young, Vince). So Kaep had
    to become a better passer, which he did not.

EDIT : For the record, I was torn about the decision to go with Kaep over Alex - Did think Kaep had more
    upside, but the old saw about if it ain't broke don't fix it was in play as well. And I agree with Light Cleric
    that Harbaugh's handling of that situation was pretty slimy.

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

We're fans. We watch a game now and then. Maybe if we are SF fans with local programming helping out we watch MOST 49er games. That doesn't put us in any position to make a judgement call about a quarterback's "upside," really, but the coaches, up to and including Harbaugh, have no excuse. They could see the same rifle arm and nifty running we saw in games, but working with the guy in practice day in day out they should not have taken years to recognize that the guy couldn't read a defense if it were printed in braille on the inside of his helmet. That's why Harbaugh deserved the boot that he got for saddling the team with Kaepernick.

Kaepernick is a younger version of Jay Cutler. All the physical skills in the world would not convince me to hire the guy, because no amount of physical skills can make up for what he lacks.

20. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

IMHO you're really grading Cutler too low here. At least Cutler goes through his reads before he passes (most of the time). Kaepernick is strickly a one-read passer. If his first receiver isn't open he'll start to get restless in the pocket and more than likely take off running. I think he's more a Vince Young version 2, which IMHO is quite a bit below Jay Cutler.