1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2016 off season

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

I dunno, Scot McCloughan seems to know what he's doing a lot more than Bruce Allen and the fact that there hasn't been so much as a peep about RG3, Snyder's golden boy, in forever might mean Snyder is actually letting the guys he hired sorta kinda do their jobs for once. That definitely remains to be seen though. Old habits die hard.

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Maybe. I suppose it's possible that they have achieved stability, but as an Eagles fan I have to hope not.

3. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

it's official, The Rams are moving to LA...I feel sorry for the fans in St. Louis who got screwed over...

4. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

And now the Raiders are officially [boned]. Things just got very interesting - not just for the Raiders, but also for the A's, considering that both franchises have spent the last 5 years [pooping] all over Oakland and Alameda County trying to get out of town and now they're stuck. Oakland still isn't entirely clear on if they want any of them to stick around, and especially not if they want to build them a new stadium (or even outside of the current Coliseum Complex which is unacceptable to both the A's and the Raiders). The A's want to move south and SF won't let them. The Raiders would probably like to move in with SF in Santa Clara and SF definitely won't let them. Also the Warriors will be out of Oakland in just a couple years here.

So what happens now? Does this force the issue and now the MLB sits on Giants ownership to work out a deal so the A's can pay their own money to build their own stadium in territory that technically was theirs in the first place? Does the NFL sit on 49ers ownership to make them let the Raiders move in with them? Does everybody move to San Antonio? Does Oakland build anybody a new stadium? Or does everybody keep playing the run-down old Coliseum for the next 2 decades?

No, wait, it's going to be the last one, isn't it?

5. Arwon

Arwon

If by some miracle the San Diego public vote for stadium funding Oakland can move to LA instead. I can't see Spanos' extortion working again though. San Diegans deserve to keep their team but Spanos will never stop being like this.

6. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

Death to Kroenke!

Honestly, very few people around here are sorry to see the back of him. The relationship between the Blues and the community nearly got this ugly about a decade ago, and new ownership decided to put in the effort to repair the breach and has been wildly embraced around here. It's hard to turn around without running into a Blues sweater in the winter, and if seats are empty for low-tier games before playoff time it's still obvious that the seat got sold.

That was never happening with Kroenke. You could argue that he had one foot out the door the moment that upper management realized that Bradford just wasn't ever going to get it done. That contract was both brutal and inescapable due to the cap rules at the time, and even the Redskins heist wasn't going to turn a team in that position around. So if you wanted to sell tickets for value, getting out of Dodge and finding a market that would be excited to support even a rubbish team was the only reasonable solution given ownership's local rep and unwillingness to commit to (at least try to) build a winner through free agency.

Couple that with the utter lack of foresight of the architects of the dome lease, and here we are today.

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Amazing how this worked out, eh? Who would ever have seen such a thing coming?

Next up, Chargers get a new stadium in San Diego, Raiders get joint tenancy with the 49ers, Oakland absolves them of debt from their renovations when they came back to Oakland to keep them at least in the area rather than moving in with the Rams. For the next two decades every stadium lease negotiation will feature "owner in meetings with Kroenke" in the local headlines.

EDIT: I apologize for the insufferable arrogance here, but having gone totally off the rails with picking outcome of games the excitement of getting something right was overpowering!

8. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

I'd be very surprised if Stan Kroenke hadn't already decided to move the Rams to LA before he bought the team 5 or so years ago. He has no (emotional or otherwise) connection to St. Louis and he's a very successful businessman (so I expect was very prepared for this and that he already made the proper calculations and plans years ago), so off course he followed the money to LA.

Because in professional sports, with very few exceptions, it's always about the money.

A sad day for St. Louis, but everyone could see this coming, especially after Goodell blasted the St. Louis stadium proposal last week...

9. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Hue Jackson to Cleveland. The CBS article asked what he saw there. I say he saw lots of paid vacation - if he signs a 4 year deal, you can expect 2-3 years paid time off, and/or do early retirement.

10. Light Cleric

I feel bad for the other teams. It has to feel horrible when someone picks the Browns over you. :(

11. Serutan

I think you meant "pick$ the Brown$ over you". ;)

12. Martin Alvito

Not entirely true. He's from Columbia, holds a degree from the University of Missouri and has quite a few business interests around here. But he doesn't have deep roots here, as you suggest.

In a sense, I feel bad for the new Rams fans because you know this is just going to be Arsenal all over again. He's always going to plead poverty "due to the stadium" and is going to pinch pennies where he can, knowing full well that fan enthusiasm will sustain him for a few years before he has to really commit to putting a winning product on the field. On the plus side, the salary cap makes finding new revenue sources in order to spend all out much less of a thing than in European soccer, so it's not entirely implausible that they could rebuild through the draft.

13. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I don't mean to be disrespectful to Browns fans in this board, but who in their right effing mind would choose to become HC for the barren wasteland that is the Cleveland Browns???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Serutan

Haslam almost certainly overpaid for him given there was interest from other teams. 'Cuz the
    Browns are no one's idea of a dream job. Hue has experience coaching a team with
    organizational difficulties, so he's not going to be blind to that. I wasn't entirely joking when
    I postulated he was going there with thoughts of early retirement in mind.

@Martin Alvito - If memory serves, the folks in St. Louis (rightfully) shed few tears when the Cardinals left. Correct?

15. Martin Alvito

No idea. I grew up in Philadelphia, and have only been here a few years.

16. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

There's also the possibility that he sees his current reputation as being good enough that a disaster in Cleveland won't mar him too badly. Let's face facts "his last job went badly" followed by "yeah, but his last job was in Cleveland" is hardly a disqualifier.

17. Light Cleric

And his HC job before that was "fired by Al Davis after one season". Probably the least two embarrassing firings you can have on a resume :lol:

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Add a Dan Snyder and you have a trifecta that is better than a lot of possible positive recommendations.

19. Serutan

[nitpick]Al was slightly dead when Hue was fired.[/nitpick] But your point remains - niether that nor the inevitable Browns firing are exactly reputation killers.

20. Serutan

Giants hire OC Bob McAdoo as head coach. A long strange road from #2 pick in the 1972 NBA draft
    to an NFL HC gig.
    Spoiler :
    Yes, I know it's really Ben. Does anyone else always think of the NBA player when that name is mentioned?