NFL Off Season 2017

Chargers are playing two years while they wait for the stadium in a 30K seat stadium in Carson. Someone raised the very ugly question: what happens if they can't sell that out?

That went really poorly for the California Angels. Placating the few by snubbing the many is not the best business plan ever devised.
Meh, regional naming seems to have worked out OK for the Pats and Panthers and Golden State. When I was a kid my Dad's bar downstairs had pennants of local teams on the wall, including a "Boston Patriots" pennant and a "New England Whalers" pennant. I guess winning is probably more important than naming.

I dunno if I'll stick with them. A Chargers Super Bowl win that was for Los Angeles and not a drought-breaking and curse-breaking win for San Diego would feel very hollow.

Maybe they'll rebrand and make things simpler.

LOL...just saw an ESPN talking head saying how sad this is because "San Diego always supported this team. Some places the fans stop turning out, but even with just one superbowl appearance that stadium was always full."

I'm thinking that this guy has never seen a San Diego Charger "home" game. Let's use Pittsburgh for example. If the Steelers come to town the only question is whether the fans coming from Pittsburgh for a weekend of fun and sun and seeing their team will be outnumbered by the expatriate Pennsylvanians driving down from LA for the rare opportunity to see their team. There is no question that either group, by themselves, will outnumber the Charger fans.

The response in LA is hilarious. The top sports columnist at the LA Times started his column today with this:
We. Don’t. Want. You.

Nobody seems inclined to dispute this.

LOL...just saw an ESPN talking head saying how sad this is because "San Diego always supported this team. Some places the fans stop turning out, but even with just one superbowl appearance that stadium was always full."

I'm thinking that this guy has never seen a San Diego Charger "home" game. Let's use Pittsburgh for example. If the Steelers come to town the only question is whether the fans coming from Pittsburgh for a weekend of fun and sun and seeing their team will be outnumbered by the expatriate Pennsylvanians driving down from LA for the rare opportunity to see their team. There is no question that either group, by themselves, will outnumber the Charger fans.

Until the last few years, this was the Cardinals as well. If any of Dallas, Chicago, Denver, or Pittsburgh
were in town, it was pretty much a home game for them. And it will happen again if they revert to suckitude.

The response in LA is hilarious. The top sports columnist at the LA Times started his column today with this::

Nobody seems inclined to dispute this.

Speaking of which, ESPN had an article along these lines:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18458717/san-diego-chargers-desperate-move-shot-nfl-vitality-2017

I dunno if I'll stick with them. A Chargers Super Bowl win that was for Los Angeles and not a drought-breaking and curse-breaking win for San Diego would feel very hollow.

Maybe they'll rebrand and make things simpler.

I don't think I ever asked how you became a Chargers fan from all the way over there, I was always curious.

Good on you for not bandwagoning a good team tho.

Lived in SD for two years in my late teens due to my dad's Navy job sending him on an exchange with the US.

Well now that depends on where the two LA teams train and put their offices I guess

I actually supported the Ravens before I went to San Diego. In hindsight that shift may not have been the smartest move.

2007 was the year for San Diego. Bloody Patriots.

Well now that depends on where the two LA teams train and put their offices I guess

You will need better measuring than I am capable of at this time of night. The Chargers are setting up in Carson, which is almost all the way down in Orange county so several miles south of Thousand Oaks, where the Rams have set up shop. But Thousand Oaks is pretty far west of LA, clear out in Ventura County. I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to which is closer to Australia, but the difference is going to be very small.

Serutan, you owe me a coffee. I couldn't drink it after spewing back into it from my nose.

...you mean the Dodgers logo?

:lol:

Yeah, the one everyone is laughing at. I liked it, and I still think it's about as cool as they are likely to get.

I spent the day with my son, who lives deeper in the city than me. He agrees that Chargers fans are extremely thin on the ground, while people who literally hate the Chargers because that's what good Raider fans do are pretty common. He also said that his Charger fan friends, who the team would hope were the few to welcome them, are universally joining the 'burn your Charger gear' movement.

I see no way that this ends well for the Ewes.

The Raiders are about to fill in the paperwork in order to move to Las Vegas...So, the NFL team carousel isn't quite over yet...They would still need to have the proposal voted by the other owners, and the Raiders would probably still play the next 2 seasons in Oakland, but it seems like the move is happening...

The Raiders are about to fill in the paperwork in order to move to Las Vegas...So, the NFL team carousel isn't quite over yet...They would still need to have the proposal voted by the other owners, and the Raiders would probably still play the next 2 seasons in Oakland, but it seems like the move is happening...

If that were to happen, I lowkey really want to see Oakland pull a Houston and tell the Raiders to kindly fudge off about hanging out in their old stadium while they wait for their new one to be built.

Top Bottom