NFL Playoffs 2017

BirraImperial

Pura Vida!
The playoffs have begun last week, so I thought a new thread was needed...Here are the results so far:

Wild Card weekend:

AFC:

Raiders 14
Texans 27

Dolphins 12
Steelers 30

NFC:

Lions 6
Seahawks 26

Giants 13
Packers 28

Divisional Round:

AFC:

Texans 16
Patriots 34

Steelers
Chiefs

Sun Jan 15 8:20PM ET

NFC:

Seahawks 20
Falcons 36

Packers
Cowboys

Sun Jan 15 4:40PM ET

Who are your favorites to make it to SB LI?

I would say after tonight, the Patriots are probably gonna be in the SB...I only see one scenario in which they lose the AFC Championship Game and that's if the Steelers make it...They were moments in the game tonight that I thought the Texans needed a bit of an extra push from their offense in order to make the game closer...But Brock Osweiler failed to deliver...I think if the Steelers win their game against the Chiefs, they will be in a good position given their offense to at least keep the game in Foxborough within reach...

For the NFC, I'd say people were sleeping on these Falcons...They have the best offense in the League without a doubt...It will largely depend if the Cowboys manage to win against the Packers or not...If Atlanta gets another home game, I can easily see them in the SB...But, Aaron Rodgers is the ultimate clutch QB, so nothing can be written off until then...

Texans defense was actually really impressive. Clowney was a monster last night. Brady getting up and whining for a flag on a clean hit was both funny and cringe-inducing at the same time. Even Cam Newton probably watches Brady and is like "Dude, really? Quit crying."

Too bad Brock Osweiller was flaming garbage. With even a competent QB they could be legit.

Not exactly. I seem to recall their defenses in years past getting lit up by top-tier quarterbacks, so they looked like something of a paper tiger. They would get a reputation built up by facing a bunch of backup QBs and then crap the bed against good ones, e.g. in 2012 where they went 13-3 but got annhilated by Rodgers and Brady(twice). They actually looked good against a top level offense, which is encouraging. Clowney seems legit after the great year he's had; that talent shows up in more than just flashes now, he keeps making big plays.

I realize they didn't exactly shut New England down, but when your offense goes full potato by throwing 3 picks and punting 8 times and special teams gives up a TD return, you're gonna give up points.

Last edited:
Completely dominated for three quarters. Every receiver we have has dropped more balls than they have caught. We have totally stunk the place up so far...and we're only down five points and may very well win on some freakish play that no one would even imagine. Just another day for the Kansas City Chiefs.

And Cowboys-Pack was an instant classic. And you can't blame the loss on Dak.

Absolutely can't blame it on Dak...or anyone else on the offense, really. Considering that the defense got themselves blown off the field (or more accurately didn't show up on the field until the second quarter) I was very impressed at how the youngster maintained composure. Getting in a shootout game against Aaron Rodgers in your first playoff game should have been a lot more unnerving than he made it look.

How do you score the only TD's of the game and still lose?? Last night's game was weird...The Steelers winning via field goals, the holding call in the end for KC...I hope Pittsburgh shows up in Foxborough next weekend, field goals aren't gonna cut it against the Pats...

Texans defense was actually really impressive. Clowney was a monster last night. Brady getting up and whining for a flag on a clean hit was both funny and cringe-inducing at the same time. Even Cam Newton probably watches Brady and is like "Dude, really? Quit crying."

Too bad Brock Osweiller was flaming garbage. With even a competent QB they could be legit.

And that defense was without JJ Watt... I think they are a few pieces away (QB of course) from being contenders.

And that defense was without JJ Watt... I think they are a few pieces away (QB of course) from being contenders.

I'd reduce that to one piece. Their defense has so many pieces that even one star injured they still have plenty. They have a serviceable line, serviceable backs, and plenty of quality receivers. If they either get lucky or get a gift and a top twenty quarterback falls into their lap they'll be top competitors. Unfortunately there are a dozen teams crying for a top twenty quarterback, and a lot of them are in a better position to actually produce one.

So, which teams do you guys have for the SB?? I'll say it's going to be really hard, but I think the Steelers have a chance of beating the Pats, of course they would have to play an almost perfect game...On the other side, I got the Falcons beating the Packers...Green Bay is just too beat up in so many positions, particularly in the secondary, which would have to face the monster that is Julio Jones... I see the Packers winning only if Aaron Rodgers pulls off another Aaron Rodgers-type performance...and that's with some luck on their side as well...

I think the real surprise for me is that I always think of the Falcons as "the monster that is Julio Jones"...but the Seahawk game opened my eyes.

Taylor Gabriel is a high quality third receiver who would be a number two on some teams. Sunu would be a number one on more than a few teams. Their backs can catch, and are upper end runners (no Le'Veon Bell, but certainly in the top half of the league), and their line is solid. Ryan is a top tier quarterback and would have a solid set of tools even without Julio Jones. With Julio Jones their offense is flatly overpowering.

The only issue they had was that they are really young up the middle of their defense, but if you look at how they've performed down the stretch experience seems to have passed a tipping point. They aren't the Houston Texans, but with their offense they don't really have to be.

I'm not quite all in here, but I'm leaning towards the Falcons winning it all.

I think the real surprise for me is that I always think of the Falcons as "the monster that is Julio Jones"...but the Seahawk game opened my eyes.

Taylor Gabriel is a high quality third receiver who would be a number two on some teams. Sunu would be a number one on more than a few teams. Their backs can catch, and are upper end runners (no Le'Veon Bell, but certainly in the top half of the league), and their line is solid. Ryan is a top tier quarterback and would have a solid set of tools even without Julio Jones. With Julio Jones their offense is flatly overpowering.

The only issue they had was that they are really young up the middle of their defense, but if you look at how they've performed down the stretch experience seems to have passed a tipping point. They aren't the Houston Texans, but with their offense they don't really have to be.

I'm not quite all in here, but I'm leaning towards the Falcons winning it all.

Yeah, I think I mentioned to someone how people were sleeping in on the Falcons and how powerful their offense can be, and as you mentioned, their defense isn't bad either...I wouldn't be surprised at all if they go on to win the Super Bowl..

One thing that I was thinking is how uneven the competition is in the AFC in comparison with the NFC...In the AFC, you got the Pats owning everyone almost every year, constantly reaching the championship game...Besides, perhaps the Broncos, the Ravens and Pittsburg in recent years, there's not really a team capable of challenging New England... In the NFC, you got Seattle, Green Bay, Atlanta, Carolina last year, The 49ers a few years back, etc... I think you can somehow compare it with the NBA in which the East has only the Cavs as possible title contenders and the West has the Spurs, Golden State, Oklahoma City, etc. etc...

Ok, you're right Tim. The Falcons are straight up that good.

Ok, you're right Tim. The Falcons are straight up that good.

Heck, today they were better than I thought they were. That was a shredding. Packers do have a lot of injuries, but the Falcons went through them like they weren't even there.

Question: Given the usual "Billy Bellyache's defense will take away what you do best" what do the Patriots try to stop? Phil Simms proved he hasn't been paying attention by suggesting that the double coverage Antonio Brown saw all day today will be put on Julio Jones. Unfortunately for them, Julio Jones doesn't account for two and a half times as many catches as the next wide receiver, like Brown does. Double Jones every play and Ryan has no problem going elsewhere.

Take away the deep ball and Ryan is fully capable of going 12 of fourteen and driving the length of the field. Take away one receiver and he has plenty of others. Play tight coverage underneath and he can and will go over the top. And if you commit to all out pass rush they can run the ball to good effect with the kind of nasty traps and draws that really take the starch out of that.

On the other side, they got to Rodgers rushing four, and that was giving him the lane discipline that containing him requires. Brady's biggest weakness is that he gets squirrelly when he starts taking hits, so I think they might do some damage there as well.

I'm fully in now. Falcons by a comfortable margin.

Heck, today they were better than I thought they were. That was a shredding. Packers do have a lot of injuries, but the Falcons went through them like they weren't even there.

Question: Given the usual "Billy Bellyache's defense will take away what you do best" what do the Patriots try to stop? Phil Simms proved he hasn't been paying attention by suggesting that the double coverage Antonio Brown saw all day today will be put on Julio Jones. Unfortunately for them, Julio Jones doesn't account for two and a half times as many catches as the next wide receiver, like Brown does. Double Jones every play and Ryan has no problem going elsewhere.

Take away the deep ball and Ryan is fully capable of going 12 of fourteen and driving the length of the field. Take away one receiver and he has plenty of others. Play tight coverage underneath and he can and will go over the top. And if you commit to all out pass rush they can run the ball to good effect with the kind of nasty traps and draws that really take the starch out of that.

On the other side, they got to Rodgers rushing four, and that was giving him the lane discipline that containing him requires. Brady's biggest weakness is that he gets squirrelly when he starts taking hits, so I think they might do some damage there as well.

I'm fully in now. Falcons by a comfortable margin.

I agree with this...The Falcons have just too many weapons in offense, I don't see the Patriot's defense covering them all. Also agree on Tom Brady not playing his best when he's being constantly rushed and hit. I'm not sure if the Falcons can win comfortably, but I think they will win...

Top Bottom