NFL Playoffs Discuss & Picks

Which team do you think will win it all? (this poll will close on Jan 2nd)

• AFC-New England Patriots

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • AFC-Kansas City Chiefs

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • AFC-Indianapolis Colts

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • AFC-Baltimore Ravens

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • AFC-Tennessee Titans

• AFC-Denver Broncos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AFC-Cincinnati Bengals

• NFC-St. Louis Rams

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • NFC-Philadelphia Eagles

• NFC-Carolina Panthers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NFC-Green Bay Packers

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • NFC-Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • NFC-Minnesota Vikings

• NFC-Seattle Seahawks

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the fish are going to sue rickey for 5.3 million--the amount he was paid in bonuses the last 2 years, his contract states they can IF he holds out or retires early. rickey the he-man says he will file bankruptcy to screw them if they do.

edit; now the boy's are trying to get $600,00 back from carter. carter says he failed an ILLEGAL test--i seam to recall a few days ago he said he NEVER failed any test. i guess now that the drugs have wore off his memerory has come back :lol:

they didn't take manning cause he wouldn't sign, now rivers who they took instead refuses to sign :crazyeye: they are offering more money than the #2 pick but not as much as manning (#1) rivers was taking #4

dgfred said:
Rumor is that QC might need to keep his LUNGS clean :smoke: :mischief: .

Is there anything else besides 'a nice cold welcome' up there? :D ;)
I heard it was his friend Smokey, but I also heard that he had failed a coke test once, too. Don't know for sure. Either way, he an idiot for doing anything and not cleaning up before training camp. Why can't these dope heads ever learn form the real pros, like Nate Newton. Wait till you retire to mess with drugs around season time if you just have to have it. groucho

News for Cowboy Fans

Mickey Spagnola & Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writers
Aug. 9, 2004, 7:13 p.m. (PDT)

OXNARD, Calif. -- While the Cowboys are not trying to be vindictive after releasing quarterback Quincy Carter last Wednesday, it is a matter of contractual procedure the club sent out a letter to all necessary parties on the same day requesting a rebate on the final portions of his prorated signing bonus.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, after initially saying the Cowboys have not tried to recoup $591,000 of his near $1.5 million signing bonus, corrected himself here early Monday evening, saying the club was required to do so to adhere to NFL procedure because of the clause in Carter's contract.

Jones would not get into exactly what clause Carter violated that would cause the team to try to retrieve his $295,000 of prorated signing bonus for this year and next year, saying, "I can't get into that."

But he did say, "The day we released Quincy, we wrote him a letter regarding his contract. That was done. The same thing when we waive a player, if there are contractual issues. We send it to comply the day we release him. I can't go into any details about what was in the letter. You have contracts and you do it on a timely basis. You do that. I just read the letter, we did send it."

The letter was sent to the NFL Management Council, the NFLPA and Carter's representative, Eugene Parker.

Sources have said, though, the Cowboys originally negotiated a clause into Carter's five-year contract signed in 2001 that gives them the right to ask for any remaining portion of his prorated signing bonus if Carter violated certain terms in his deal - one being a violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy.

While the Cowboys have never confirmed that is why Carter was surprisingly released last week, reports have consistently targeted a violation of the league's substance abuse policy which would have subjected Carter to a four-game fine for his repeated offense.

Neither the Cowboys nor the NFL can comment on a potential failed drug test. In fact, there has been talk the NFLPA would file a grievance against the Cowboys for releasing Carter for the reported violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy. The CBA states teams can not release a player solely for such a violation.

But a grievance has not yet been filed, and Jones said again he has not heard from the NFL or the NFLPA on any aspect of Carter's release.

"The day we waived Quincy, I'm told if you've got an issue with his contract, you have to by procedure send a letter, so we sent a letter that day we waived him," Jones said.

It's customary for team's to make an attempt to recoup any portion of unaccounted prorated signing bonus if a player surprisingly retires. Any money retrieved then gives the club a credit against the salary cap. A recent example is Miami, which has the right to request a refund for the unaccounted portion of Ricky Williams' signing bonus.

Initially, Jones said the Cowboys had no need to send the letter, and since they were in good standing with the salary cap, would not need to recoup the $295,000 for this season. Any possible money refunded would be more about creating cap space than putting money back into Jones' pocket.

Chad Peters
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writers
Aug. 9, 2004, 6:28 p.m. (PDT)

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Cowboys got a lot of work in with their younger players during Saturday's standup scrimmage, and head coach Bill Parcells reviewed what he saw on film during his daily press conference Monday morning.

"Defensively, we didn't have a lot of mental errors, but we weren't doing a lot of stunting and blitzing either," Parcells said. "Offensively, 80 percent of the mental errors were rookies. We had 24 mental errors on offense, and I would say probably 17 of them were rookies."

The Cowboys were able to run 107 total plays during the scrimmage, 58 of which were passes. Parcells said they need to improve their overall completion percentage, as the Cowboys' quarterbacks only completed roughly 50 percent of their passes during the scrimmage (28-of-58).

Receiver Terry Glenn was the only player receiving single-digit repetitions, as most players were in the double digits. Glenn didn't participate too much in the scrimmage due to a tight hamstring the coaching staff didn't want to aggravate.

Davison Walks Out

Third-year cornerback Andrew Davison left the team Monday, reportedly tired of football.

"He left on his own," Parcells said. "He's been trying to leave for a week. We talked him into staying and he finally just left."

Davison was competing for a backup job at left cornerback behind Terence Newman.

He will be placed on the reserve/left camp list, and placed on the retirement list in five days according to Parcells.

Parcells also said the team will not be looking to sign any corners to replace Davison, who showed up about 7:30 Monday morning to inform the coaching stay he was leaving.

Hold The Hype

Rookie quarterback Drew Henson's performance (13-of-22 for more than 150 yards and two touchdowns) in the Cowboys' standup scrimmage excited a lot of people in attendance, especially, though, Jones.

While Parcells called it a good first showing, he cautioned folks not to get too worked up over one good outing in a non-contact drill.

"Jerry was very excited," Parcells said. "I asked him if we should just send him up there and let him get inducted with (John) Elway yesterday.

"I told (Henson) after the scrimmage, I said, 'They're going to be hitting back next week (against Houston). This week they're not hitting but next week they're going to be hitting.'"

After Monday's practice, Jones relayed the same message Parcells gave him on Henson, but said he asked Parcells of one small favor, instead.

"(I said) don't take away from me, at least one night of feeling good of how somebody played out here," Jones said he told Parcells. "We've been a while before we felt real good about (quarterback). Let's savor this moment for a minute."

Expectations Still Up

Receiver Randal Williams hasn't been off to the best of starts this training camp, the fourth-year receiver having dropped numerous passes and has had trouble with his overall consistency.

But Parcells said he still has high expectations for Williams, who signed a two-year contract with the Cowboys this off-season.

"He hasn't taken a step back," Parcells said. "We've only been here a week. We haven't even played a game yet."

Off To The Meadow

Right tackle Adam Meadows, a free agent the Cowboys coveted this off-season, retired today after being bothered by a shoulder injury throughout training camp with the Carolina Panthers.

Meadows, who had played his entire career with the Indianapolis Colts, accepted a contract worth less money from Carolina than the one the Cowboys had offered because he wanted to play closer to his home in Georgia

Short Shots
The Cowboys broke out their white helmets for the first time during both the morning and afternoon practices on Monday. The helmets are a part of the team's throwback uniform the Cowboys will display for their Thanksgiving Day game against Chicago on Nov. 25 . . . Eddie George dropped two consecutive passes in the afternoon practice, causing him to become visibly upset with himself . . . Larry Allen pancaked a defender in linemen drills . . . Cornerback Pete Hunter deflected a pass from Tony Romo intended for receiver Terrance Copper in seven-on-seven drills . . . Wideout Antonio Bryant was hot Monday, making several spectacular catches in the morning and having a consistent afternoon practice . . . Safety Steve Cargile batted away a pass from Vinny Testaverde to receiver Patrick Crayton . . . Drew Henson gunned a pass on an out route to receiver Keyshawn Johnson, but rookie corner Bruce Thornton had good coverage on Johnson and knocked the ball out of his hands . . . A few minutes after his nice deflection, Cargile got chewed out by defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer for letting a receiver get by him . . . Mat McBriar boomed several punts in the afternoon, including one nearly 65 yards . . . Tight end Dan Campbell followed up Jason Witten's performance last week, accidentally barreling over Parcells . . . Corner Jemeel Powell had nice coverage on a Bryant out route, forcing Tony Romo to throw the ball out of bounds in team drills . . . Receiver Zuriel Smith was berated by Parcells on the last play of the afternoon when the Cowboys were going over their two-minute offense. Parcells accused Smith of taking the play off, as he was unable to get to a pass thrown to the sideline by Romo.

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Aug. 7, 2004, 5:43 p.m. (PDT)

OXNARD, Calif. -- It wasn't a game, and it was barely even a scrimmage.

But Saturday afternoon's stand-up scrimmage was certainly not just a normal practice as the Cowboys ran more than 100 plays of 11-on-11 team drills here on the eighth day of training camp their River Ridge complex.

Since there was no tackling and each offensive possession started from the 35-yard line, it was definitely a controlled-scrimmage, so getting a solid evaluation of each player can be tricky without watching tape.

But rookie quarterback Drew Henson was the easiest player to assess, and he wasted little time getting the estimated 5,300 people in attendance screaming for the first score of the scrimmage.

On his first play under center, Henson threw a perfect deep ball to a streaking Zuriel Smith, who had beaten cornerback Andrew Davison on the play for a 65-yard score.

Henson, who worked mostly with the third-team offense , completed 13-of-22 passes for more than 150 yards and two touchdowns, the other scoring strike going to rookie tight end Landon Trusty.

"It felt good to get out there and get my feet wet," said Henson, who has not played an organized football game since the 2000 season at Michigan. "So today, was a productive day for me. I know I still have a lot to work on. But I feel good about what went on today."

As for the other quarterbacks, starter Vinny Testaverde worked with the first-team, completing just 6-of-14 passes with one interception (LB Keith O'Neil) and one sack. Second-year quarterback Tony Romo ran with the second-team offense, completing just 10-of-20 passes, including a short touchdown pass to Cedric James.

The scrimmage also gave some insight at other positions, including running back, where Eddie George lined up with the first-team offense. Without tackling, gauging just how far each run would go was difficult, but the eight-year veteran still showed quickness and vision at the line of scrimmage.

Rookie running back Julius Jones got work with the third-team offense, while ReShard Lee, who is quietly putting together another solid camp, started out with the second-team.

On the offensive line, Torrin Tucker ran with the first team, but both Jacob Rogers and Javiar Collins got first-team reps as the scrimmage went on.

"I'm glad I just have an opportunity to go out there and compete," said Tucker, who made the Cowboys' roster last year as a rookie free agent. "They started me out there (with the first team), but it's still early. I know I have to get better if I want to stay there."

On defense, the Cowboys actually worked four-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle La'Roi Glover with the second-team, giving Leo Carson and Daleroy Stewart an opportunity to work with the starters. Don't expect Glover to stay there, however.

The Cowboys used several different combinations on defense, rotating a slew of players, especially at linebacker. Bradie James worked mostly with the second team, but the Cowboys also ran a lot of nickel defense towards the end of the scrimmage.

And for the first time during this camp, Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells had the team running wind sprints, breaking the team into three groups and timing them, making sure they finished running the width of the field four times under a certain time limit. Encouraging was the fact offensive guard Larry Allen was able to finish the three sets of run within the mandatory limit. At this time last year Allen was getting lapped before finishing his four sprints.

That was one last reminder of the hard work ahead before Parcells gave the players their first night off, and then day off on Sunday. The club will resume workouts here Monday morning.

Troy Sounds Off

While the Cowboys were basically interviewing their three quarterbacks during Saturday's first major scrimmage of training camp, the best one of the bunch might have just been on the sideline watching.

Former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman, who owns a home just up the road in Montecito, Calif., took in Saturday's practice, somewhat out of curiosity because of his Cowboys' ties but also for background work while getting ready for another NFL season working for Fox.

And it was inevitable he would be asked about the Cowboys releasing Quincy Carter, the guy who basically took over the starting quarterback job after he was forced into retirement. Aikman pulled no punches.

"It probably came as somewhat of a shock for a lot of people, but it's disappointing," Aikman said. "It's disappointing for the guys who have been working so hard in the off-season to go out and have a good year, and now a little bit of that is jeopardized.

"Ultimately, how it affects this team is yet to be seen, but a lot people's efforts have been jeopardized by his actions."

Aikman understands better than most that the quarterback position is held in higher regards, and especially in the Cowboys organization. He knew the standard which he would be judged following a long line of successful quarterbacks preceding him.

"I think it would be disappointing regardless of what team he'd be playing for," Aikman said. "There is no question, though, with this organization a lot is expected from that position, and there is a lot of scrutiny at that position. You know, it's a difficult time and difficult for whoever plays that position. As for what happened to Quincy, I don't know it's any more of a disappointment or less because it's here in Dallas."
-- Mickey Spagnola

Backup Plan

The Cowboys are hesitant to bring in a veteran backup quarterback because they want to first know exactly what they have in Henson and Romo.

"Until I see quite a bit more of these guys - and I'm really talking about today, next week's preparation, next game, the next week's preparation and the next game - until I get that information, I don't think I could answer that question exactly the right way right now," Parcells said. "I hope by that time, I'll have an answer."

While they won't develop the young quarterbacks at the risk of leaving Vinny Testaverde unprepared to start, they are hopeful they'll have the situation at backup figured out by the third preseason game.

"Obviously, if they're not, then I'll have to try to seek solutions," Parcells said. "But this time of year, it's hard to dial up these types of guys."
-- Chad Peters

Kicking OK So Far

When asked in his daily press conference about whether he was nervous working with only two rookie punters, Parcells said he saw something in rookie Mat McBriar that convinced him to take this chance. Also, kicking coach Steve Hoffman is known around the league for taking young, inexperienced kickers and developing them into consistent, successful players.

Parcells also talked about how he's been impressed so far with McBriar's performance, pointing out the end-over-end flight pattern of several of his punts, making them hard to field. While Parcells was bragging on McBriar's technique, a reporter reminded him of how he mentioned that McBriar's been inconsistent for the past few days.

"A little inconsistent, which is a step above what we were last year," Parcells responded with a smile, referring to the problems Toby Gowin had last year.

If all else fails, and McBriar and his competition Ryan Flinn don't make the cut, Parcells is certain he will be able to pick up a veteran punter before the beginning of the season.
-- Sarah Piland

Interest In Carter, But Maybe Not . . .

It's been reported that several teams have expressed interest in quarterback Quincy Carter, released by the Cowboys on Wednesday. So far, no one has brought him in for a workout. San Diego, one team that was reportedly interested, has confirmed they are not. Arizona was also reportedly interested, but when general manager Rod Graves was asked today about the possibility, Graves basically said absolutely not.

Teams supposedly interested include Jacksonville, Detroit and Minnesota. The Vikings considered putting in a claim for Carter but did not, which is strange since claiming Carter would only have required a minimum base salary, which they would have to at least ay him anyway.
-- Sarah Piland

Make Room For Emmitt

Emmitt Smith moved one step closer to starting again in Arizona, as running back Marcel Shipp dislocated his left ankle in an intra-squad scrimmage Friday. The injury is expected to sideline the fourth-year runner 8-12 weeks.

Smith was signed by the Cardinals last off-season after being released by the Cowboys, starting the first five games of the season before breaking his left shoulder blade against the Cowboys Oct. 5. He missed six games and was unable to regain his starting role from Shipp.
-- Chad Peters

Short Shots

Defensive tackle Leonardo Carson practiced Saturday, despite having developed soreness in his knee . . . The Cowboys used the 40-second play clock during their standup scrimmage Saturday for the first time to acclimate the offense to pressure situations . . . . Tony Romo hit wideout Cedric James for a short touchdown, as a the third-year receiver maneuvered his way into the end zone . . . Linebacker Keith O'Neil intercepted a Testaverde pass when he tried to get the ball over O'Neil down the middle . . . Kicker Billy Cundiff connected on two-of-four attempts and Jonathan Ruffin made two-of-three attempts during the scrimmage . . . Fullback Jamar Martin had a drop on a pass from Testaverde . . . Rookie receiver Patrick Crayton beat his defender on a route that would have gone for a touchdown had Romo not overthrown him on the play . . . Corner Pete Hunter broke up a pass from Romo intended for James.

Top Bottom