1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Playoffs!!!!

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

Funny thing is that after the game, Wilson literally said that he was trying to do exactly that, flop on the ball and live to fight another day... but the protection was so good that when he saw there was no pressure, only then did he say "Well I guess I'd look pretty silly lying here when there is no one coming" so he got up and took a shot at salvaging the play...

So in short, if anyone saved the day it was the O-Line. Wilson was perfectly ready to take a flop. Watch the highlight again at halftime of this game (in 2 mins), you'll see it.

2. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

First of all, you started the argument at "he won the game", so that's where I went from. I didn't break the rest of it down because you've decided to go "waaahhh" and that's as deep as you seem willing to go. Why can't you argue "The Seahawks D won it by by forcnig a Peterson fumble and the Vikings couldn't get that fumbled snap". That's what you're inviting and it won't go anywhere. This all seems like the same arguments I heard from Skip Bayless et al about Tebow and "all he does is win".

Second, you're arguing in complete ESPN talking head logic with a ONE PLAY WINS THE GAME narrative. You're taking a play, absolving Wilson of any and all responsibility for fumbling a snap that was like 6 inches off-center(I literally just re-watched the video, I don't think it was even the worst snap that game) and saying his "guts" won the game based on a non-falsifiable claim that "a lot" of other quarterbacks would have fallen on the ball and given up.

He played "okay". Not awful, but certainly not good. You haven't even tried to argue he played good.

It doesn't help that it goes on the list of "super favorable coverage of certain quarterbacks" that I've noticed:
    -Certain QBs get every excuse that you can possibly imagine when they don't play well(look how deep into this season it took people to finally start criticizing Rodgers) and all the credit when they win.
    -The idea of 4th quarter comebacks. Maybe don't play bad enough that you're losing in the 4th quarter? I live in Atlanta and every time I hear about "Matty Ice" and his comebacks I want to barf out my ears.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

There was exactly one TD drive in the game. Did "one play win the game"? Pretty much. Was it as much a defensive breakdown as anything else? Yeah, but that doesn't detract from Wilson making the play.

The reality is that with the rule changes over the past decade or so, to use the cliche, it is a "quarterback driven league." You may not like it, and truthfully I don't really like it, but that is where the game is at. The fifteen to twenty teams with adequate quarterbacks have a shot, the rest of the teams don't.

By the way, Wilson talking about "the O-line made the play" is a big part of what makes him one of the adequate quarterbacks. Munnerlyn was coming basically unblocked when Wilson picked up the ball. Rather than pointing out that the center missed the snap count and he had to spin away from a blitzing corner he does the crediting to his team mates that some quarterbacks never get the hang of...which is why some quarterbacks that undoubtedly have better skills are still inadequate when he is not.

4. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Before I say anything else, I will admit Wilson is an overrated QB. He's the second highest paid QB in the league, and he isn't the second best QB. Now that that's out of the way...

First, players fluctuate game to game. Not just QBs, all players do, it just stands out for QBs the most. In the Cardinals game everyone was kissing Wilson's ass and worshiping him, now he has a much more mediocre game and all of a sudden he isn't good anymore.

Wilson's regular season stats for this year was nothing short of phenomenal. And don't give me that "it's all because of the O-line" nonsense. Not sure what you all are smoking but the Seahawks have one of the worst O-lines in the league for this season. To the contrary statistically the Browns have one of the best O-lines. Fat load of good that did them.

I won't say Wilson played outstanding for this game and certainly won't say he "won the game". But one mediocre game does not override a fantastic season with franchise shattering records... especially when that Hawks are not a team known for either the O-line or wide receivers, and beast mode wasn't even there for so long either. Even the replacement Rawls wasn't there now, and they're left with joker replacements. On top of that the Vikings had not just a home field advantage but a decisive one due to the weather conditions.

So don't give me this "they only won because O-line and defense" garbage. Replace Wilson with Manziel (the fact that the Browns keep losing with a statistically good O-line should be proof enough that you all are overrating the O-line anyway) and the game wouldn't have been even close.

The reality is due to away field disadvantage, weather conditions, and nobody replacement running backs (even Rawls is much better than these jokers), the Seahawks played that game with their right hand tied behind there back to begin with. If it were even a close game, the Seahawks clearly won. If the Vikings couldn't win with all they had going for them, what chance do they have against the Panthers next week? Be honest, people. Not saying the Seahawks will beat the Panthers either- only they have more chance than the Vikings do. And sure, if Wilson plays another mediocre game of football they have no chance at all pretty much. But again- we don't know that. This is a man who has had a fantastic statistical year. Mediocre performance on one game is not a guarantee that you will have mediocre performance the next game.

5. Sommerswerd

It was a close game between evenly matched opponents and ultimately they won because of the missed 27 yard field goal, not because Wilson fell on his botched snap, then realized that he wasn't being rushed so he got up and threw a pass that any NFL QB (including a bum like Romo) could have thrown with no pass rush.

That is my point, and nothing else. Kaepernick was over-rated. Wilson? whatevs...

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

He never "fell on it" and the only thing that contributed to any "not being rushed" is the distance the ball flew behind the line of scrimmage. I could post the still of Wilson picking up the ball with five Vikings closing in and not a blocker in sight if it's really necessary, but the video clip is readily available.

Someone totally committed to not giving Wilson credit may have a case for blaming Munnerlyn. The only way Wilson is going to get away from the other four guys is if he can go deeper around Munnerlyn and away from them. If he had taken a line to contain him and force him to step up the play was a massacre, but he drove straight for the ball instead and Wilson spun around him.

7. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Wilson played much worse than his usual self, the Vikings had quite the homefield advantage with that weather. No Graham, no Lynch, not even Rawls... and they still won.

Keep in mind when they played just a few weeks back the score wasn't even remotely close. I can't emphasize enough that players fluctuate. But even when Wilson plays much worse than he usually does (do you think he'd get anywhere near smashing franchise records for the regular season if he always played like today), they still win. Not by a mile of course, but they win. Even with so much going against them.

The main thing we took away from that game is that Teddy Bridgewater is much more used to the cold than Wilson is.
    Not that that should come as much of a surprise to anyone.

As for the "he's only better than average because he runs with the ball" give me a freaking break...

1) he puts up huge numbers running with the ball. Even if that were "the only reason" it would still be a big reason.

2) You do realize this is a team with a bad o-line and a set of wide receivers that are mediocre at best, right? Of course he's going to run with the ball, that's how their offense is structured.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look, I know Wilson is not a legendary QB. He's no Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning (in his prime) or whatever. I also won't pretend they only win because of him. He is however, within the top 10. He played a mediocre game today and they won because of the missed field goal. But again, given what Wilson has to work in his supporting cast with each week, few quarterbacks would do better if they were in his shoes. Someone who set the records he set for this season has to be in the top 10, especially given they are the opposite of an offense first team in just about every way possible. Beyond that, even if you could prove to me "the average QB in Wilson's shoes would have done the same or better for that Vikings game today, even given the same to work with." doesn't disprove his overall record for the year. Every QB in the league has individual games where they play worse than themselves, Tom Brady is no exception.

Who are you when you're a team with a great defense with no franchise QB? You're teams like the Texans or Bills. And I would take the Seahawks to beat them about 90% of the time.

8. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Picks for the weekend?

Broncos over Steelers
    Pats over Chiefs
    Seahawks over Panthers
    Cards over Packers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Broncos. Too many Steelers hurt, and I suspect the refs will be demonstrating that no, they do not let the Steelers get away with stuff that the other team gets called for.

Chiefs. Pats are susceptible to pass rush. Chiefs bring plenty.

Panthers. Too many weapons on both sides of the ball. Should be a great game though.

Cards. Packers pulled a rabbit out of the hat last week, looking nothing like how they have looked the past couple months. Until they show that wasn't a one shot deal I am thinking it was a one shot deal.

10. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I figure Carolina will go all the way to the Super Bowl.

11. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

I'm thinking Seahawks because they might get lucky again...The Panthers are an all-around well-balanced team, but Russell Wilson pulling stuff like last week's ridiculous play had me thinking of a potential upset...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

All the recent Seahawks/Panthers games have been close; this has a good chance of being
    close too.

13. illram

illram Deity

Broncos Pats Panthers Cardinals.

Pats Panthers Superb Owl rematch.

14. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

repeat of superbowl from 2 years ago: Broncos vs Seahawks. And the Seahawks still win, although not as bad as last time.

15. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Broncos over Steelers
    Chiefs over Patriots
    Panters over Seahawks
    Cardinals over Packers

Cardinals over Chiefs in the super bowl

16. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I mostly agree although I'm concerned about the Pats. I figure that's the most likely game to be wrong in that lineup.

17. illram

illram Deity

Like any fan of Boston sports I remain eternally anxious, pessimistic, and paranoid that every game is just another opportunity for crushing disappointment, but I'm nonetheless putting my money on NE this week.

I say that fully aware of how lucky I have it as a fan of Boston (and Bay Area) sports, since another important quality in any MA sports fan is the capacity to remain feverishly paranoid of failure despite past repeated success.

18. Sommerswerd

I on the other hand (as a New England resident) will shamlessly share in the merrimaking and revelry if they win, while unhesitatingly (as a 49ers fan) brushing off any disappointment if they lose :D.

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Just read an interesting revelation into the Belichik mind. Since he keeps the Patriots flexible; play the 3-4 against teams that don't do well against it and the 4-3 against teams that don't do well against that, run all over teams that can't stop the run, throw twenty consecutive passes against teams that stop the run, whatever...but the Chiefs pose a unique problem because instead of just looking to see what has beaten them and doing that he has to actually figure out something that might work.

Then there was a reminder that the last time the Patriots played the Chiefs they were humiliated.

I'm liking my Chiefs pick even better than I already was.

20. illram

illram Deity

Yes, when has Belichick ever faced an opponent that had no obvious weaknesses? Surely he must be stymied by the unique circumstances of facing a good football team in a playoff game. *<---this is where the rolleyes smiley goes.