NFL Playoffs!!!!

4 turnovers from the Cards and it's just the first half...Oh boy, this isn't looking good for them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A really great game... Pats blew it by not kicking the easy FGs with 6 mins and 3 mins left... But its easy to armchair QB. Denver's D really had NE's number... lots of crafty blitzes, QB spying to deny passing lanes and tight zones to take away the short pass. It was genius frankly.

And the Pats apparent strategy of taking away the run and forcing Peyton to try to beat them with downfield throws didn't work as Peyton was able to beat them with some great downfield throws.

Also... with all the fuss over Phil Sims (which shocked me TBH) I went and looked it up. You guys are right... Sims is clearly hated as an announcer... So I was listening to him closely today... I just don't get what all the hate is about, he seems fine.

https://twitter.com/philsimmsquotes

Also although this article didn't record the most dings under Simms/Nantz, it does note that the dings they do record for the duo are the most inane/insipid/pointless

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66008790/

I think it's one of those things where when you aren't really aware of it you don't notice it, because to most people sports commentary is just white noise that you don't listen to, but when you have someone pointing out the badness of the commentary to you while it's happening you notice it a lot more.

This certainly happened with my dad when he started watching baseball with me after I came home from college.

Part of the Simms thing is that he is deservedly on CBS top team...because somehow CBS has become the JV league. So if you catch the top game of the day on each network you get Michals and Collinsworth, Buck and Aikman, and ... Nantz and Simms? So there is a lot of dropoff.

Anyway. The Broncos have gotta be hearing The Folsom Prison Blues long about now.

I hear that train a comin'
It's comin' round the bend...

This Carolina team is looking pretty hard to stop...or even slow down.

Looks like we may have a repeat of the Seattle game on our hands. Carolina is amazing.

Pretty much. Broncos defense is good, best in the NFl no doubt. But this Panthers team is one of the best teams I've ever seen. They're pretty much on fire. I'm rooting for the Broncos (just because my friend is a Broncos fan, otherwise I wouldn't care) but I don't think they have much of a chance at all.

By the way. Considering the Seahawks put up quite a bit more of a fight than the Cardinals did, I'd say the Seahawks deserved to be in the NFC championship game more than any other NFC team. Although don't get me wrong, they still would have lost.

There should be a mercy rule for games like this...

You notice Carolina did a kneeldown on 4th and 14 from the Arizona 20 with 1:20 left to play instead of kicking the easy FG to go to 53 pts... That was as clear an example of mercy as i've ever seen in an NFL game... No way Belicheck is as gracious in that situation... In any case I think Carolina set a record for NFC championship games anyway.

Pretty much. Broncos defense is good, best in the NFl no doubt. This Panthers team is one of the best teams I've ever seen. They're pretty much on fire. I'm rooting for the Broncos (just because my friend is a Broncos fan, otherwise I wouldn't care) but I don't think they have much of a chance at all.

By the way. Considering the Seahawks put up quite a bit more of a fight than the Cardinals did, I'd say the Seahawks deserved to be in the NFC championship game more than any other NFC team. Although don't get me wrong, they still would have lost.
TBH I think the only difference between this game and the Seattle game is that in the Sea game they were so far ahead that they called the dogs off and started just playing not to lose, basically trying to run out the clock... Whereas in this game they learned their lesson from the Seattle game and kept the heat on. If they did the same last week they could have easily scored 60 on Seattle, and they could have scored 60 tonight... Sea and Ari were simply outmatched, its not even close.

To be honest, as good as Carolina might be, Carson Palmer has pretty much thrown this game away...and picked off for 6...

In fact, there is a symmetry between this game and the playoff game they played in 2009 when Jake Delhomme turned into a pumpkin and had 5 picks and (IIRC) a fumble in a Cardinals rout. Palmer returned the favor. I hope this doesn't signal
the downfall of Palmer like '09 did for Delhomme.

If Saturday's Carson Palmer shows up, they have no chance.

Being right sucks sometimes. Not saying the Cardinals would have won if Palmer had played well, but it would have at least been competitive.

TBH I think the only difference between this game and the Seattle game is that in the Sea game they were so far ahead that they called the dogs off and started just playing not to lose, basically trying to run out the clock... Whereas in this game they learned their lesson from the Seattle game and kept the heat on. If they did the same last week they could have easily scored 60 on Seattle, and they could have scored 60 tonight... Sea and Ari were simply outmatched, its not even close.

You're oversimplifying things. You can not go all the way for 24-31 to "easily" 0-60 by "letting the dogs out".

Now sure they could have played more aggressively in the second as they did in the first half and perhaps the score wouldn't have ended up being as close. But as for the Seattle side of the fence, the second half team was simply not the same team that showed up in the first half. The second half team was much more prepared, and much more like the Seattle time people are used to. They are a freaking PLAYOFF team, after all.

Again, I'm not saying the Seahawks are better (or as good) as the Panthers. Only they put more of a fight than the Cards did. The Cards were outmatched throughout the game, and the Seahawks were only outmatched for one half. The two are not the same thing, even if the the Panthers played "not to lose".

I don't think they would have easily hung 60 or whatever but it's like Cam said, they played with their "butts tight" (his words) in the second half against Seattle. They've had a trend of letting teams get back into games they don't belong in this year. They blew a 35-7 lead with 5 minutes in the 3rd against a very mediocre Giants team. They were up 23-6 with 10 minutes in the 4th against the battered shambling remains of Andrew Luck and let them come back to force overtime. There were other instances that weren't quite as bad, e.g. vs Green Bay, but still made things closer than they needed to be.

The difference this time is they put the foot on the opponent's throat and finished them off.

That was just an embarrassing bed-wetting by Carson Palmer by the way, what the hell. I don't remember the last time I saw a quarterback throw that many passes in a row that looked like they were meant for the other team.

I making the easy call and taking Carolina in the Superbowl.

The thing about that Denver win, is even with Peyton Manning eating his Wheaties for breakfast and spinach for lunch, and the absolute genius, dead-on Defensive plan, and NE failing to be able to make any second half adjustment... basically a perfect storm for Denver... they still were only able to come away with the win by the skin of their teeth due to an inexplicable missed XP by a kicker who is typically "automatic" AND even more inexplicable bad coaching decisions by Billy B (going for it twice on 4th down instead of taking the easy FGs). I doubt Denver will benefit from as much serendipity in the Superbowl.

I invite anyone who disagrees (or agrees) to go on the record here.

Blah. I guess I have to watch since our city is being invaded by the NFL for the next 2 weeks.

Blah. I guess I have to watch since our city is being invaded by the NFL for the next 2 weeks.

Heh yeah. I'm glad I don't drive, and also am on the wrong side of the bay. It's going to be a nightmarish couple days commuting to work for my dad, I would imagine. Well it's San Jose so...more nightmarish than usual.

I am amazed. In early December, the Broncos were in serious danger of missing the playoffs. They have not looked good, but they have looked determined.

J

Note to anyone making Peyton Manning/John Elway comparisons...

NFL Network is showing the Bronco/Falcon Super Bowl right now, which was Elway's last game. Just flipping by the channel I've seen Elway throw a few passes that traveled twenty to thirty yards in the air to hit a receiver shoulder high going downhill all the way. That dude, on his last day, could throw a football through a door without bothering to turn the knob.

I dunno, that defense looked pretty damn good Sunday
The defense has been good all year. The team was another issue. They lost three straight.

FWIW Do you remember the pundits that said Von Miller was strictly a 3-4 OLB? They could trade him to KC for Justin Houston and neither team would miss a beat.

J

Note to anyone making Peyton Manning/John Elway comparisons...

NFL Network is showing the Bronco/Falcon Super Bowl right now, which was Elway's last game. Just flipping by the channel I've seen Elway throw a few passes that traveled twenty to thirty yards in the air to hit a receiver shoulder high going downhill all the way. That dude, on his last day, could throw a football through a door without bothering to turn the knob.

I was watching that game and thought that Elway could have still played at least for 1 or 2 more seasons...He had amazing arm strength. Unfortunately for Peyton, the neck injuries he sustained have gradually diminished his ability to throw the football. Sure, he was great in 2012 and 2013, but starting last season, you could sense that he isn't playing at such a high level anymore...I think he's retiring whatever happens after the Super Bowl...or at least he should.

Top Bottom