1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NHL 2005-2006 Season

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by ForbiddenPalace, Sep 19, 2005.

1. ForbiddenPalace

ForbiddenPalace Chieftain

As the new NHL season approaches, it is time to predict the season results.

Division winners:

Eastern Conference
    ATLANTIC - PITTSBURGH
    NORTHEAST - TORONTO
    SOUTHEAST - TAMPA BAY

Western Conference
    CENTRAL - DETROIT
    NORTHWEST - COLORADO
    PACIFIC - DALLAS

Conference winners:

EAST: TORONTO
    WEST: COLORADO

Stanley cup winner:

COLORADO

2. pboily

pboily fingerlickinmathematickin

somebody hasn't been following the off-season...

j/k, j/k

Here are my predictions:

Playoff teams:
    East:
    1 Philadelphia
    2 Tampa Bay
    3 Ottawa
    4 Boston
    5 New Jersey
    6 Pittsburgh
    7 Montréal
    8 Toronto

West:
    1 Vancouver
    2 San Jose
    3 Detroit
    4 Calgary
    5 Colorado
    6 Anaheim
    7 Dallas
    8 Edmonton

Eastern Conference Winner: Philadelphia (I'm hoping to jinx them, really, I'd like the Sens to be there)
    Western Conference Winner: Calgary

Stanley Cup Winner: Philadelphia

EDIT: Replaced Atlanta with Toronto

3. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

Hmmm, FB has the Leafs going to the final, Pboily has them not even making the playoffs.

Of course, FB is right.

4. mastertyguy

mastertyguy I'm tired!

IMHO, you over-estimate Pittsburgh, ForbiddenPalace. pittsburgh, altough they are greatly ameliorated, aren't going to beast the Devils. Pittsburgh hasn't a great goalie. IMHO, the playoffs should look like:

East:
    1- Devils
    2- Tampa
    3- Toronto
    4- Philadelphia
    5- Ottawa
    6- Boston
    7- Montreal
    8- Pittsburgh

West

1- Detroit
    2- Colorado
    3- Dallas
    4- Vancouver
    5- Calgary
    6- St-Louis
    7- Minnesota
    8- Edmonton

Conference:
    East: Devils (But I'd prefer the Habs)
    West: Calgary

Stanley cup: Devils

But it is a little early to judge, isn't it? Especially this year.

5. mastertyguy

mastertyguy I'm tired!

IMHO, it is a hope!

6. pboily

that and the Leafs suck this year... I hope.

actually, that was an oversight on my part. I put Atlanta down for the 8th spot because I forgot that Toronto still has a team. I mean, you barely read anything about them anywhere, right? :mischief:

So Toronto in 8th, slated for a shakedown at the hands of the Flyers, again.

Funny thing, that. In the playoffs, the Leafs own the Sens who own the Flyers who own the Leafs, and they're all owned by the Devils.

7. WildFire

WildFire amour

LOL

They have the offense and maybe the defense but not the goalie.

8. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Chieftain

I'm tired of Pittsburgh and in particular Sidney Crosby being overhyped by every moron and his dog. I just saw on TSN that they were discussing the possibility of Crosby breaking Selanne's 76 goal rookie mark way back when. That's absolutely ridiculous, not only is Crosby not even going to come close to anywhere near the league lead in anything, but no one is going to score that much, at all. We saw these rule changes implemented in the AHL and scoring didn't increase significantly, it only fluctuated slightly, as scoring tends to year to year. I reiterate my stance that NHL regular season games won't see a significant increase in scoring. Will the game be faster and more exciting? Possibly, but that won't result in many more goals. The Penguins signed a few good players, but they're still not a good team. John LeClair is pegged as a first line player for them, that is absolutely laughable. Their defence is offensively talented, but lacks defensive prowess. Look for them to have one of the league's worst penalty kills yet again.

Crosby isn't an NHL player yet. I'm amazed at these idiots that rave about him getting 3 assists in a scrimmage at the tail end of a Penguins practice. Practices aren't games, and he isn't being slammed around like he will be in the regular season. He's not playing against players and teams that are giving their all to stop him and his team, and he's used to playing in an environment in which he is the number one player without question. He's not going to lead anything in his first year, a more realistic season would see him score 20 goals and 50 points. He'll be a league leading star one day, no doubt. But this is not that day.

Also, Brett Hull is absolutely correct when he says that the league will stop enforcing hooking and obstruction into the season. They do it every year: the league promises to crack down on some arbitrary violation of the rules, and for the first couple of months, they actually do it and we see tons of powerplays. Then a couple of months in they just forget about it, and by the time the playoffs roll around, teams are clutching and grabbing with impunity once again. I see no reason why this year should be any different.

Another group of people who piss me off are people who hail the Flames as championship material. They're not, they were just another one year wonder being seen as the second coming of Christ. People said the Hurricanes and the Ducks would be better the next season and jack it up in the standings; they didn't. Kipprusoff in particular, but the entire team was just another Cinderella story that won't repeat. They'll descend back into obscurity. They're not championship material. Period. Take off your blinkers, and wake up.

9. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Chieftain

West
    1. Vancouver
    2. San Jose
    3. Detroit
    4. Colorado
    5. Dallas
    6. Los Angeles
    7. Nashville
    8. Edmonton

East
    1. New Jersey
    2. Boston
    3. Tampa Bay
    4. Philadelphia
    5. Ottawa
    6. NY Islanders
    7. Atlanta
    8. Montreal

10. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

11. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

1)Vancouver
    2)Detroit
    3)San Jose
    4)Calgary
    5)Colorado
    6)Dallas
    7)Edmonton
    8)Nashville

1)Ottawa
    2)Philadelphia
    3)Tampa Bay
    4)Boston
    5)New Jersey
    6)NY Islanders
    7)Montreal
    8)Atlanta

12. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Chieftain

Everybody putting Colorado so high (including myself) is such a huge stretch. They've lost so much over the lockout, most damaging of all Peter Forsberg and Adam Foote. I would not be surprised if they just snuck into the playoffs as the 7th or 8th seed when all is said and done. And that's if they don't have any significant injuries; even one, to the right guy, would be crippling.

13. Python

Python Chieftain

I still think Colorado will be a threat but I have my doubts on them winning the division. I'm a hardcore Oilers fan but I'd still have to say the Canucks will be taking the North West this year.

I also totally agree with you about Crosby and the Flames. I could see Crosby possibly getting 60-70 points this year and thats because you have to look at the talent around him as opposed to say Ovechkin.

14. pawpaw

pawpaw Now Farve-Proof

I think that includes anyone now, nobody is " stocked " anymore, a key player goes down, a season is over

15. mastertyguy

mastertyguy I'm tired!

Colorado CAN make it. IMHO, their are two divisions that will be very tight all over the year: North East and North West. Almost everybody in those division can be #1.

16. pboily

I don't know... I agree that the North West will be tight (minus Minnesota), but it's all Boston/Ottawa in the North East.

17. mastertyguy

mastertyguy I'm tired!

Not necessarly. Toronto can make it too, and I'll wait 'til mid-season to say the Habs can't. With those new rules, actually, no team is sure to win.

18. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Chieftain

Toronto's blueline has become too depleted for them to be much of a threat.

19. mastertyguy

mastertyguy I'm tired!

Well, the season isn't started, and I expect them to make a few deals on their way (I know, anyone can make that!)

20. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Chieftain

Getting back to this penalty nonsense; the NHL and media outlets are telling us that fan response to the preseason games thus far has been that the games are incredibly exciting. How the hell can a game, of which 35 minutes are spent on the powerplay, be that exciting? I want players to score goals, but I don't want stars being given a free pass to the front of the net. I want them to have to battle through the defense. I want defencement to challenge them along the boards, in front of the net, etc. I love seeing good physical battles.