NHL 2009 Playoffs

This went viral in Chicago today as I sent it to everyone I know and even sports radio picked it up. Nothing like a little bulletin board material.
Spoiler :

Karma is a very dangerous thing if you're on the wrong side of it. Apparently, Canucks fans don't care. The team won four straight games to eliminate the St. Louis Blues from the Stanley Cup Playoffs and already Canucks fans are planning the parade route. Literally. Not to take anything away from the Canucks who played a very tidy and efficient four games, but it was only four games.

Sure the Canucks got timely scoring from the Sedins and Alex Burrows. Sure Roberto Luongo was easily the first star of the series, like the Canucks need him to be. But it was only four games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the Canucks here. In fact, I love the Canucks. I live breathe and die Canucks hockey. But seriously, it was four games. Everyday on my way to work I see dozens of vehicles proudly flying their Canuck flags, and everyday I wonder to myself where were all these flags in the middle of January when the Canucks were in the midst of one of the worst losing streaks in franchise history? They were nowhere to be seen. Nor were the Alex Burrows jerseys or the Mats Sundin t-shirts.

The Canucks and their fans should be proud of what this team has accomplished, because they overcame a lot this season to get where they are now. The passing of Luc Bourdon, the mid-November injury to all-star goaltender Roberto Luongo, an eight game losing streak, and most recently the passing of Taylor Pyatt's fiance. This team has really gelled together nicely, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

Canucks fans have got a lot to learn about becoming an elite fan base. Take the fans of the Detroit Red Wings for example. Wes Mantooth in the hit comedy Anchorman summed up my exact feelings for the Red Wings when he spoke to his rival, Ron Burgundy. "I hate you Ron Burgundy, but damn it I do respect you." I absolutely despise the Red Wings, but you can't argue with what they've been able to accomplish.

The Red Wings have been the model franchise in the NHL for the last decade, and nowhere in the Detroit News will you find an article asking fans to submit their best ideas for parade routes after a first round sweep of a clearly inferior foe. Why? The answer is simple: because everyone in Detroit already knows the parade route. A first round victory doesn't mean a thing to them. Talk to them in a month or so when the Stanley Cup Finals are getting underway.

Karma has a funny way of working and who knows, maybe all these success starved Canucks fans are onto something. Who knows, maybe in a month I'll let you know how many cars are still flying their flags.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eady-planning-parade-route-and-its-only-april

Odd article, what planning is he talking about? I haven't heard any plans, other than Mitchell joking around a few weeks back, and there was a fuss in St. Louis over that too. And what's the point of bringing up Detroit? They've won the cup multiple times in recent years, of course they know of a parade route. :p

At any rate, I'm not planning further ahead than the next game. I'm not superstitious and trying to avoid a jinx, but there's no sense in being pompous, like the guy singing at Game 4 in Saint Louis- he mentioned how it would be Saint Louis that would win the cup during his rendition of 'When the Saints Come Marching In'.

At any rate, we'll be seeing a whole lot of you soon.

So first round is over and we have seen some surprises. I predicted 3 teams right out of 8 so it didn't go very well. Maybe second round goes better. It's time for second round predictions:

East

Boston in 6

Pittsburgh in 6

West

Anaheim in 7

Vancouver in 5

Let's hope those are a bit more accurate. :)

So first round is over and we have seen some surprises. I predicted 3 teams right out of 8 so it didn't go very well. Maybe second round goes better. It's time for second round predictions:

East

Boston in 6

Pittsburgh in 6

West

Anaheim in 7

Vancouver in 5

Let's hope those are a bit more accurate. :)

I like two of those choices, and unfortunately I think you're also right about Pittsburgh, but Anaheim-Detroit to me is still a 50/50.

I also think Anaheim-Detroit is 50/50 but I picked Anaheim because their goalie has been on fire and Anaheim has played very good playoff hockey.

My predictions for the next round:

Pittsburgh - Washington: 4-2
Carolina - Boston: 1-4
Chicago - Vancouver: 2-4
Anaheim - Detroit: 3-4

So first round is over and we have seen some surprises. I predicted 3 teams right out of 8 so it didn't go very well...
I'm sure you'll get better at it :pat:

The suggestion that the Canucks fan base is not as elite or developed as the Detroit Red Wings is laughable.

BTW The Province ran an article by two web bloggers that have been promoted to print writers about how they could not possibly upset the hockey gods due to various other exploits of theirs and so they might as well plan the parade. I'd like to point out that they also printed a feature about individual Canuck players as resembling charcacters from certain stoner flicks. The Province is basically a tabloid.

Most importantly, that article was written before the series had even started not after we had swept them.

Results

Boston over Montreal in 4.
Washington over New York in 7.
Carolina over New Jersey in 7.
Pittsburgh over Philadelphia in 6.

Anaheim over San Jose in 6.
Detroit over Columbus in 4.
Vancouver over Saint Louis in 4.
Chicago over Calgary in 6.

Lord_Iggy's Predictions

Boston over Montréal in 5.
Washington over New York in 6.

Philadelphia over Pittsburgh in 6.

San Jose over Anaheim in 5.
Detroit over Columbus in 7.
Vancouver over Saint Louis in 6.
Chicago over Calgary in 6.

6 Correct Predictions, including 2 Correct Series-Length Predictions.

Loppan Torkel's Predictions

Boston over Montreal in 4.
Carolina over New Jersey in 6.
Pittsburgh over Philadelphia in 5.

Anaheim over San Jose in 6.
Vancouver over Saint Louis in 4.
Chicago over Calgary in 7.

8 Correct Predictions, including 2 Correct Series-Length Predictions.

JJP's Predictions

Boston over Montreal in 7.
New York over Washington in 7.
New Jersey over Carolina in 6.
Philadelphia over Pittsburgh in 6.

San Jose over Anaheim in 6.
Detroit over Columbus in 6.
Vancouver over Saint Louis in 5.

Calgary over Chicago in 7.

3 Correct Predictions.

Metal Alloy Man's Predictions

Boston in over Montreal in 6.
Washington over New York in 7.

San Jose in 5/6.
Vancouver over Saint Louis in 6.
Chicago over Calgary in 5.

7 Correct Predictions, Including 3 Correct Series-Length Predictions

SuperBeaverInc.'s Predictions

San Jose over Anaheim in 6.
Columbus over Detroit in 7.
Saint Louis over Vancouver in 5.
Calgary over Chicago in 7.

Boston over Montreal in 5.

New Jersey over Carolina in 7.

3 Correct Predictions, Including 1 Correct Series-Length Prediction.

Whomp's Predictions

Boston over Montreal in 6.
Washington over New York in 5.

Pittsburgh over Philadelphia in 7.

San Jose over Anaheim in 5.

St. Louis over Vancouver in 7.
Chicago over Calgary in 7.

5 Correct Predictions.

Downtown's Predictions
Boston over Montreal in 5.
Washington over New York in 5.

San Jose in over Anaheim 7.
Saint Louis over Vancouver in 7.
Calgary over Chicago in 6.

4 Correct Predictions, Including 1 Correct Series-Length Prediction.

Maggie the Monkey's Predictions

Boston over Montreal.
New York over Washington.
New Jersey over Carolina.
Philadelphia over Pittsburgh.

San Jose over Anaheim.
Columbus over Detroit.
Vancouver over Saint Louis.
Calgary over Chicago.

2 Correct Predictions.

Standings
Loppan Torkel: 10 Points (8,2)
Metal Alloy Man: 10 Points (7,3)
Lord_Iggy: 8 Points (6,2)
Whomp: 5 Points (5,0)
downtown: 5 Points (4,1)
SuperBeaverInc.: 4 Points (3,1)
JJP: 3 Points (3,0)
Maggie the Monkey: 2 Points (2,0)

Washington over Pittsburgh in 6
Boston over Carolina in 6
Chicago over Vancouver in 7
Detroit over Anaheim in 6

At least I'm beating the monkey

(1)Boston 4 vs. (6)Carolina 2
(2)Washington 4 vs. (4)Pittsburgh 3

(2)Detroit 2 vs. (8)Anaheim 4
(3)Vancouver 2 vs. (4)Chicago 4

I didn't do the last round, but I might as well have some fun.

East
Boston in 6
Washington in 7

West
Detroit in 6
Chicago in 6

Iggy's Predictions:
Boston over Carolina in 6.
Pittsburgh over Washington in 7.

Detroit over Anaheim in 6.
Vancouver over Chicago in 6.

Well some pretty impressive predictions last round there Lord Iggy. I might as well get in on it:

East
Boston in 6
Pittsburgh in 7

West
Detroit in 7
Vancouver in 6

Wow, I did better than I thought!:)

Second Round Predictions

Boston over Carolina in 6
Pittsburgh over Washington in 7
Vancuver over Chicago in 6
Anaheim over Detroit in 7

At any rate, we'll be seeing a whole lot of you soon.
Yep. I'm looking forward to it especially when someone takes down Burrows for his sissy hair pulling of Duncan Keith.

When did that happen?

At any rate, the monkey has spoken (well, technically, spun).

Maggie the Monkey's Predictions:
Carolina over Boston.
Washington over Pittsburgh.

Detroit over Anaheim.
Vancouver over Chicago.

I'm not sure what bothers me more, the fact that Burrows did that, or the disgusting show going on in the comments box.

EDIT: I should not have read through that comments box. Hair pulling is poor sportsmanship, especially because it didn't help Burrows to get a grip. I don't know about his intentions, but I entirely fail to see what pulling on hair has to do with one's sexual orientation, gender, or species.

I'm not even going to quote the mess of that site...

Top Bottom