1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NHL 2014 Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by JJP, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

Sometimes I'm inclined to think so. Pittsburgh leading against Columbus while Crosby and Malkin are playing at half of their capacity and at the end of the game Fleury lets in a couple of easy goals to extend the series.. San Jose dominating and going up 3-0, only to let the LA get back to 3-3, but win the final game at home ice. St Louis Blues must be playing by Bettman's program from last year. It's almost WWF calibre.

Good series by Boston. They've got the better team. Montreal will be a tougher test.
    Nathan MacKinnon has been brilliant from the little I've seen.

2. Whomp

Whomp Keep Calm and Carry On Retired Moderator

Ok 5-1 instead. 2-1 would've been too weird. Go Hawks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. El Justo

El Justo Deity

4. Whomp

J! Hope you are well! I found tapatalk for better or worse and thought I'd pollute the thread with Hawk talk.

5. El Justo

El Justo Deity

6. El Justo

El Justo Deity

7. Whomp

Good luck tonight J.

My assistant is on the ledge right now. .. sharks fan. :/

8. El Justo

El Justo Deity

9. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

Three game sevens tonight, yes?

10. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

Oh god, the Rangers are somehow moving on while the Wings got destroyed. Being deep within Rangers territory, I'm never going to live this down* :(

*Until next season

11. Whomp

Indeedy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

And to absolutely nobody's surprise, the Sharks playoff stampede fizzles out.

Again.

(And to the absolute surprise of every hockey journalist in Quebec, Saint-Patrick fails to make it past round one. I shall take great pleasure in this.)

Giving us the following R2 matchups!

Atlantic Division
    Boston (1) vs Montreal (3)
    In the regular season: Montreal 3 - Boston 1
    Oh. Boy. I'm going to say it right now: this could go any which way. Boston is stronger on paper; Montreal won three out of four in the regular season. Boston is grittier (but Montreal's player, despite smaller size, aren't afraid to play gritty), Montreal is faster (but Boston has added lots of speed recently). Both team have elite-level goaltenders - a Vezina contender against the best goaltenders of the Olympics. Both team have elite-level Ds : a Norris contender for this year against last year's winner (and Markov, and Dougie Hamilton, etc). Both team have a highly diverse attack with some serious forward: Ten forwards to each team with at least 1 goal, and Pacioretty and Vanek against Lucic and Iginla. And the long and painful history which is more than enough motivation for both teams if the Stanley Cup wasn't enough.

And for perhaps the first time in a looooong time, the two of them are meeting as legitimate playoff contenders, not as one dominant team against a team that only squeaked in the playoffs with a bottom seed (and even THEN, those usually go to 7)

This should be good.

Metropolitan Division
    Pittsburgh (1) vs New York (2)
    A good matchup here too. The two split the regular season very evenly: One regulation and one shoot-out win to each side, 14 goals to 13 for the NYR. Pittsburgh has some of the highest-flying elite talent in the NHL with Captain Canada and Evgeni Malkin, but dubious goaltending. New York has one of the elite goaltenders in the league, but while it has bought some high-end offensive talent...it's not Crosby and Malkin. But Crosby and Malkin sometime just don't do it (and they almost didn't against Columbus), so what happens now? My money would go to Pittsburgh because Sid makes it very hard to bet against him, but it wouldn't be a lot of money.

Central Division
    Chicago (3) vs Minnesota (WC2)
    Well, how's that for a surprise. Two teams that went up against teams people saw in the SCF, and took them out anyway. Chicago, of course, is a bit of a default pick: they are, after all, the reigning champions with a second cup in recent team history, so they've got a proven playoff track record. On the other hand, in five games this season, Minnesota has gone 3-2 against Chicago, and the upgrades they made to their team over the past few years shouldn't be neglected. Parise, Koivu, Granlund, Suter, Mouslon, Niederreiter....that's not a bad team by any definition. Then again, Minnesota only squeaked into the playoffs, and barely made it out of first round alive. They're definitely coming into this as the underdog, but that doesn't mean they've lost.

Pacific Division
    Anaheim (1) vs Los Angeles (3)
    The strict numbers favor Anaheim. They come into this with a 4-1 domination in regular season, and with a rested team that took out its enemies several days ago. But, and as always there is a but: The Kings are on a mission now. you don,t get a team to come back from losing 3-0 in a best-of-seven without them getting very fired up, and Anaheim HAVE to stop them early. Here, more than any other series, game 1 and 2 will be decisive. if Anaheim let the kings get first blood, they're in trouble. If they can break the Kings' victory stride and break it fast, though, they have a good shot at taking them out.

13. ummmm........

ummmm........ Extremely normal.

Bruins in 5
    Rangers in 6
    Chicago in 5
    Kings in 6

EDIT: I should point out that this is where I usually start choking -- now that I've actually seen the teams play . . .

14. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

Atlantic Division

(1)Boston 4 vs (3)Montreal 3

Metropolitan Division

(1)Pittsburgh 4 vs (2)NY Rangers 1

Central Division

(3)Chicago 4 vs (WC)Minnesota 1

Pacific Division

(1)Anaheim 2 vs (3)Los Angeles 4

15. SuperBeaverInc.

SuperBeaverInc. Groucho

That was the chokiest choke in the history of San Jose chokes

16. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Not quite as epic as Toronto's choke almost turn it around push it to game seven double choke last year.

17. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Why argue, when we have a choke that combine the epicness of BOTH the Toronto choke of 2013 and the San Jose choke of 2014?

I mean, getting a 3-0 lead in the series, letting it go to 7, coming into the third period of game 7 with a 3-0 lead and then losing anyway? Now THAT's epic-level choking. All hail the 2010 Bruins who pulled it off :D

(There's also a slight incident involving the words "17 seconds" worth mentioning re Bruins and choking...)

18. JJP

JJP Great Player

Round 2 picks:

East

Boston in 6
    NY Rangers in 7

West

Chicago in 6
    LA in 7

19. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

Boston over Montreal in 6
    Pittsburgh over NYR in 6 (might flip this one)

Chicago over Minnesota in 5
    LA over Anaheim in 5

20. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

This is what happens when I try to be bold and pick St-Louis. If it wasn't for that... I guessed a whopping 4 series correctly to the level of game numbers. Woh.

Chicago vs Minnesota: Chicago in 6
    Anaheim vs Los Angeles: Anaheim in 6
    Montreal vs Boston: Boston in 6 :(
    Pittsburgh vs New York: Pittsburgh in 7