Nicolas Maduro Wins Venezuelan Presidency in Close Race

Yeah RT you convinced me with your web site links to Chavez Code, a Montana library,and a conspiracy site that warns of the new world order. Along with calling all your opponents sources as CIA controlled lackeys.

The Montana Library site was a diversion -- it's my thread and this is the Tavern. My group is clandestine, you're not SUPPOSED to know who they are. The link to DBKP was in response to luiz' postulation that "Hussein" was Indonesian. I don't know what you have against Chavezcode, since they cite US government documents. Hard to make a strawman out of that.

However, if you prefer the vitriol, by all means, bring it on. My work is where is counts -- with the people.

I am talking of global research. They mention the new world order right in their 'about us' page.

I know the library one was a joke, just as my bringing it up again was a joke.

I don't care which group you represent, you keep hinting and mentioning them as if it's important. I merely made my initial statement before you'd spout off claiming your group's leadership is also 2/3 gay and 2/3 Latino and 2/3 whatever else.

Working with poor people in NYC does not give you authority to speak for venezualens.

I was talking to Azale, who bothers to reply to RT?

True, but is Azale any better?

Maybe less radical, but even more ignorant. A faux-radical teenager, the worst kind of inhabitant of internet forums.

EDIT: @Bamspeedy:
Spoiler :
my group is 50% Christian, 50% Jewish and 50% Muslim. 65% of us are college graduates and the other 25% are college-educated (at least through to the Senior year in High School). We are the Missoula Public Library! Learn about us and love us!

Not quite as bad as trendy revolutionaries.

QFT

However, notice how nobody has come up with a cite-able source for Capriles' "fraud" allegations, or a rejoinder to the fact that 100% of Capriles' people at the voting stations signed off on the results? Is it that Capriles' own people were in on the "fraud?" Hmmmm....

... but is Azale any better?

I have a lot of respect for Azale. Teenagers should be so thoughtful in the US. But he is hardly ignorant. luiz, your name-calling alone puts your credibility at about ZERO. So, your putting him in my camp is a compliment.

Oh noes, an ensamble of Stalinists, ignorant chomskyist teenagers and internet trolls/losers think I have no credibility!

I'm doomed! We all know the influence and power those groups hold in the real world. When the inevitable communist revolution comes, I'm dead!

True, but is Azale any better?

Maybe less radical, but even more ignorant. A faux-radical teenager, the worst kind of inhabitant of internet forums.

What is your deal man? If I have ever been this disrespectful to you I apologize because clearly you have a grudge against me. I don't know who the hell you think you are to determine who is a faux anything.

I'm 23 btw you jerks :p

If luiz has survived all the fascism, I'm sure he can survive the commies. Might want to have Thelma keep an eye out for flying rolls of tape though.

Oh how cool. I'am sure the ladies don't respond to that with rolled eyes.

Okay, I do love the ladies, maybe I should give up what I do for a chance at the ladies -- wait a minute! My organization is 2/3rds women! And I mean supermodel-looking, intelligent types, man. Look at my Avatar. One of my ex-girlfriends -- who looks like Naomi Campbell -- says I am waaaaaay sexier than Daniel Craig.

But I digress.
Check this out from the movement of Non-Aligned Nations:

Statement from Movement of
Non-Aligned Countries Coordinating Bureau on elections in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela

The Movement of Non-Aligned Countries Coordinating Bureau salutes the elections held in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, April 14, 2013, which were characterized by massive participation and conducted transparently in a climate of democracy.

The members of our Movement congratulate President Nicolás Maduro Moros for his election and express our confidence that the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela will continue to contribute, during his administration, to the consolidation of unity within the Movement of Non-Aligned Countries and to the struggle which together we have undertaken to protect its principles.

The Movement of Non-Aligned Countries Coordinating Bureau calls for the preservation of a climate pf peace, tolerance and harmony among Venezuelans and an end to all acts of violence.

New York, April, 17, 2013

Nice, eh?

Wait... if they are a movement of non-aligned countries, doesn't that kind of mean they've aligned with one another at least to some degree? I realize that's not really relevant in any way to the Venezuela situation. I just found it an odd turn of phrase.

Apologies, VRWCAgent, here is a snippet of the history of the NAM (non-Aligned movement) from their Center for Human Rights and Cultural Diversity website:
History

The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) is an international organization of states considering themselves not formally aligned with or against any major power bloc. The movement is largely the brainchild of Gamal Abdul Nasser, former president of Egypt, Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru and Yugoslav president Josip Broz Tito. It was founded in April 1955; as of 2007, it has 118 members. The purpose of the organization as stated in the Havana Declaration of 1979 is to ensure "the national independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity and security of non-aligned countries" in their "struggle against imperialism, colonialism, neo-colonialism, racism, and all forms of foreign aggression, occupation, domination, interference or hegemony as well as against great power and bloc politics."[1] They represent nearly two-thirds of the United Nations's members and comprise 55 percent of the world population, particularly countries considered to be developing or part of the third world.[2]

Members have, at various times, included: Yugoslavia, India, Ghana, Pakistan, Algeria, Libya, Sri Lanka, Egypt, Indonesia, Cuba, Colombia, Venezuela, post-1994 South Africa, Iran, Malaysia, and, for a time, the People's Republic of China.... While the organization was intended to be as close an alliance as NATOWarsaw Pact, it has little cohesion and many of its members were actually quite closely aligned with one or another of the great powers. Additionally, some members were involved in serious conflicts with other members (e.g. India and Pakistan, Iran and Iraq). The movement fractured from its own internal contradictions when the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan in 1979. While the Soviet allies supported the invasion, other members (particularly Islamic nations) of the movement did not.

However, theyt are still around, though not heaily editing their website entries.

Founded by Nasser, Tito, and Nehru. Nehru is probably the strongest democrat in the field and IIRC, his anti-democratic tendencies were mitigated by the fact he kept India as one country- something nobody was quite sure would happen.

Okay, I do love the ladies, maybe I should give up what I do for a chance at the ladies -- wait a minute! My organization is 2/3rds women! And I mean supermodel-looking, intelligent types, man. Look at my Avatar. One of my ex-girlfriends -- who looks like Naomi Campbell -- says I am waaaaaay sexier than Daniel Craig.

That's nothing. My super secret organization is composed entirely of US Army Deltas, astronauts, and elite accordion players. Look at my avatar. One of my current girlfriends-- who owns controlling interest in nineteen of the top ten successful auto makers-- says I'm waaaaaayy more of a suave and classy gentleman than Christoph Waltz.

That's nothing. My super secret organization is composed entirely of US Army Deltas, astronauts, and elite accordion players. Look at my avatar. One of my current girlfriends-- who owns controlling interest in nineteen of the top ten successful auto makers-- says I'm waaaaaayy more of a suave and classy gentleman than Christoph Waltz.

I was just needling Patroklos, but since you bought it up, seriously:
We have two accordion players, some former Air Force, 82nd Airborne, a washed out athlete (me), the daughter of a NASA scientist (sorry, no astronauts) a former Sullivan and Cromwell attorney, a former textbook salesman, a master auto mechanic, a bunch of former farm workers, teamsters, railroad workers, school teachers, realtors, some MDs -- I am not making this up -- and my ex really does look like Naomi Campbell -- and because we are both Reds, I still get to see her twice a week for various activities

And that Avatar looks like Paul Krugman or Thomas Friedman.

So a group of countries that is highly correlated to low democracy (of course there are a few exceptions).

Well, the US is not a member, so they exclude at least one low-democracy country.

How about this:

Special ALBA communiqué on Maduro’s victory in Venezuela

The countries of the Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America (ALBA-TCP) express our satisfaction with the decisive victory achieved by compañero Nicolás Maduro in the presidential elections held on April 14 in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.

This unquestionable triumph is an expression of the important moment our sister nation is living and represents the best tribute the Venezuelan people can render to their Bolivarian leader, Comandante Presidente Hugo Chávez Frías.

We offer our congratulations to this heroic people for their leading role in their exemplary election day April 14, demonstrating unequivocally their profound civic and democratic commitment. The will of the people expressed via the polls confirms majority support for a process that defends the noble principles of social justice, solidarity, independence and sovereignty.

The ALBA expresses its most forceful condemnation of the desperate attempts of the enemies of the Bolivarian Revolution to discount the legitimate election results and generate a state of ungovernability which puts the country’s peace and stability at risk. We urge the leaders of the opposition to adopt a responsible attitude and respect the sovereign decision of the Venezuelan people.

The ALBA Alliance shares this victory, the victory of the peoples of Our America. We are certain that Nicolás Maduro’s election will ensure the continuity and consolidation of ALBA-TCP, as a genuine expression of the integrationist ideals of Presidente Hugo Chávez and of the historical legacy of Latin American and Caribbean forebears.

ALBA-TCP.

Caracas, April 15, 2013.

And this:
Havana. April 22, 2013

Communiqué from the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States regarding the elections in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela

The Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC) congratulates the people of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela for their peaceful presidential elections and the voter turnout on Sunday April 14, 2013.

CELAC congratulates President Nicolás Maduro on the election results and for his election as President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.

The Community, urging all those who took part in the elections to respect the official results published by the National Electoral Council (CNE), the only competent body in the matter in Venezuela, calls for an end to all incitements to violence or acts which put the peace of society at risk, and for dialogue and tolerance aimed at stability in the country for the benefit of the Venezuelan people.

Similarly, CELAC strongly believes that any complaint, challenge or demand for an extraordinary process from any of the participants in the electoral process should be channeled and resolved through the relevant judicial structure in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and within a context of democracy.

CELAC offers its most heartfelt sympathies to the families of victims of the April 15 violence, and its solidarity with the injured.

Havana, April 19, 2013

Editor-in-chief: Lázaro Barredo Medina / Editor: Gustavo Becerra Estorino
Granma International: http://www.granma.cu/

And especially for TheLastOne36, From Granma International April 17, 2013.
Cuba and Poland: New trade opportunities

Livia Rodríguez Delis

In recent years, Cuban exports to Poland have mainly consisted of rum, sugar, hand-rolled cigars and black tobacco, while Cuba’s most common imports from Poland have been fertilizers and powdered milk, even though collaboration agreements are more comprehensive.

Cuban and Polish business representatives met in a recent Havana forum, organized by their respective Chambers of Commerce, with a view to identifying new paths for extending and developing trade between the two countries.

In the meeting, Omar Fernández, Secretary General of the Cuban Chamber of Commerce, explained that the first agreement with Polish businesses, signed in 2001 and renewed in 2009, is still in place and has allowed contact between the two countries, but he recognized that more can be done to develop collaborative links.

“The visit to Cuba of representatives from Polish companies specializing in agricultural machinery, pharmaceuticals, rail transportation and steel will undoubtedly contribute to a broader exchange and understanding of the possibilities that exist in each market,” he said.

He also remarked that Polish business representatives have the opportunity to see first-hand what Cuba offers in terms of services, exports and investment projects.

Fernández invited the business representatives to take part in Havana’s 31st International Fair, to be held later this year, November 3 – 9, describing it as an excellent occasion to familiarize themselves further with trade opportunities in Cuba.

Tadeusz Swiatkowski, the Polish Chamber of Commerce Latin-America Director, heading the delegation, for his part, stated that the value of current trade between the two countries is 77 million dollars, with exports from Cuba valuing 55 million dollars, and imports from Poland representing 22 million.

However, he agreed that there is still potential for growth, both in terms of new products and sectors as well as in the traditional areas, highlighting sugar, currently representing 99% of the value of Polish imports from Cuba.

Celia Labora, Cuban Chamber of Commerce International Relations Director, presented the Polish delegation with figures outlining Cuba’s national economy in 2012 and projections for 2013, as well as the key opportunities for investment in Cuba.

“It is worth noting,” she said, “that the structure of the Cuban economy has changed a great deal. Twenty years ago we were an exporter and importer of raw materials, whereas today 70% of our GDP comes from the service sector.”

“Despite the economic and financial crisis and the United States blockade, Cuba currently has links with over 3,000 companies from around 150 countries, and trading with Cuba involves compliance with the same international regulations as with anywhere else,” she stressed.

Government policy aimed at continuing a comprehensive export strategy which includes expanding sales of services abroad and market diversification to promote value-added products, those of greater technological content and quality.

Celia Labora also emphasized the priority being given to renewable energy projects, such as wind farms, solar energy, and biomass energy derived from sugar cane, mentioning also oil and mining, sugar and agriculture.

Given the increase in the number of tourists to Cuba, investment in the tourist sector, of course, offers one opportunity, essentially in construction, development and marketing of high standard hotels in different parts of the country such as Sancti Spíritus, Camaguey, Ciego de Ávila and Cienfuegos.”
Anyone else have news?

The Montana Library site was a diversion -- it's my thread and this is the Tavern. My group is clandestine, you're not SUPPOSED to know who they are. The link to DBKP was in response to luiz' postulation that "Hussein" was Indonesian. I don't know what you have against Chavezcode, since they cite US government documents. Hard to make a strawman out of that.

However, if you prefer the vitriol, by all means, bring it on. My work is where is counts -- with the people.

Wait a minute....a 'clandestine' group....that works..with the people.

I see.

@MobBoss: yes, Clandestine, with open ends to the masses, per VI Lenin:

“A dozen wise men can be more easily wiped out than a hundred fools.” This wonderful truth (for which the hundred fools will always applaud you) appears obvious only because in the very midst of the argument you have skipped from one question to another. You began by talking and continued to talk of the unearthing of a “committee”, of the unearthing of an “organisation”, and now you skip to the question of unearthing the movement’s “roots” in their “depths”. The fact is, of course, that our movement cannot be unearthed, for the very reason that it has countless thousands of roots deep down among the masses; but that is not the point at issue. As far as “deep roots” are concerned, we cannot be “unearthed” even now, despite all our amateurism, and yet we all complain, and cannot but complain, that the “organisations” are being unearthed and as a result it is impossible to maintain continuity in the movement. But since you raise the question of organisations being unearthed and persist in your opinion, I assert that it is far more difficult to unearth a dozen wise men than a hundred fools. This position I will defend, no matter how much you instigate the masses against me for my “anti-democratic” views, etc. As I have stated repeatedly, by “wise men”, in connection with organisation, I mean professional revolutionaries, irrespective of whether they have developed from among students or working men. I assert: (1) that no revolutionary movement can endure without a stable organisation of leaders maintaining continuity; (2) that the broader the popular mass drawn spontaneously into the struggle, which forms the basis of the movement and participates in it, the more urgent the need for such an organisation, and the more solid this organisation must be (for it is much easier for all sorts of demagogues to side-track the more backward sections of the masses); (3) that such an organisation must consist chiefly of people professionally engaged in revolutionary activity; (4) that in an autocratic state, the more we confine the membership of such an organisation to people who are professionally engaged in revolutionary activity and who have been professionally trained in the art of combating the political police, the more difficult will it be to unearth the organisation; and (5) the greater will be the number of people from the working class and from the other social classes who will be able to join the movement and perform active work in it. What is to Be Done? , Chapter IV, C. " Organization of Workers and the Organization of Revolutionaries" VI Lenin

Top Bottom