Niggling Issues

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by marstinson, Jul 14, 2008.

1. marstinson

marstinson Chieftain

I purchased the digital download version of CIV/Warlords/BtS and have had zero problems with installation or gameplay, but have come across some very annoying issues:

1. After completing research on a tech and when being asked to choose a new one, sometimes the game will display the pop-out showing what the tech does and where it leads; sometimes it doesn't. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to it with regard to the completed tech, the game turn/time, building construction, the player civ, nada. Maybe it'll show, maybe not.

2. Same issue after building or unit construction.

3. The game seems to deal with events in or near each city in turn, which isn't a big deal in and of itself except when completing construction of something at the same time that "The enemy has been spotted near xxx" message appears. It sure would be nice if the screen could be scrolled so that I could see what's about to try to whomp on me and how close it is BEFORE choosing what to build next.

4. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in the game recommendations for the next building project. It might initially recommend a library, for example, but when I examine the city and come back to the build menu, it's recommending something else. And on that same note, if I exit after examining the city, it moves on to the next city before coming back later and recommending something else.

5. How about a little intelligence in the build recommendations? During my last game I plopped a settler down and the first thing it recommended was building the Pyramids (taking 100+ turns). I would have thought that a Barracks, Granary, Library or garrison unit would have been more useful.

6. Naval vessles set to automated exploration seem to disappear. In my last game I had a galley that I set to explore sometime around 2000 or 1000 BC, basically to reveal ocean resources that my scout missed. The idea was that it would go around the continent (I had Open Borders with the other civs) and then reactivate when it came back to the start point, at which point I could either disband, upgrade or repurpose. It disappeared from the overland map, magically reappeared about 3 or 4 squares from its start location sometime around 1750 AD and never even indicated that it was active on the minimap in the intervening time. Ocean-going vessles have a similar problem, but not quite as bad. They will at least make their presence known on the minimap even if they don't show up during the unit movement phase of the turn.

I don't think any of this involves my hardware, but here's my specs just in case:

Core2Duo (2.4GHz), 4GB, Dual GeForce 8600 in SLI (current drivers), Vista Ultimate SP1 with DirectX 9c (June 2008 update).

Thanks for the space to vent.

Mark

2. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

welcome to cfc :band:
    :)
    just a few comments:
    1+2) this is something that can be toggled on/off in the options screen - are you sure you did not do so? if not this would be weird and not work as it is supposed to (and does for me).
    3) in the options screen you can check the option to "minimize popups" - all this does is silence all the popups until all your units have been moved - which usually takes care of this problem - IF you have at least one unit sitting somewhere that is not automated/resting
    4+5) the algorithm for those suggestions is quite hazy - I agree, though it usually finds something that is worthwhile doing - more often than not I end up ignoring it though...
    what you observe though is an effect of it recalculating the screen - based on the current turn and minute differences in :science:/:hammers:/:commerce:/:gold:/:culture: or population in the city can change that. Basically the first thing you see is based on the interturn values - while the new computation occurs during the turn. I agree that it is confusing and should not be the case :)
    6) they do not disappear - but they do run on indefinitely unless they get attacked or otherwise stopped. You can track all units in the military advisor screen - the coastal only vessels "hide" in the minimap if they are within the cultural boundaries of some other civ - because the dots are not too easily distinguishable

3. marstinson

marstinson Chieftain

Thanks for the info. If, by being enabled under options, you mean "Sid's Tips", yes it's enabled. That's why it's puzzling/annoying.

I hadn't considered the pop-ups issue, but I've turned it on and will see how it goes.

I agree on the recommended builds - most of the time I ignore it. Sometimes it's spot-on, but mostly not. It's probably a playing-style thing.

I didn't know about the coastal vessles hiding. Learned something new, so it's a good day.

Thanks again for the tips and we'll see how it goes.

Mark