Night of the Werewolves XXV: Border of Life

*facepalms*

I had learned already you had checked the Jester's items while she was in jail, and when I was released and found out that someone had been in my room and had stolen my sword, you seemed the most likely suspect and you have hardly proven anything but.
The jester? You mean the one that died with his items?

CCRunner did steal the sword; he admitted it. But are we after a thief here? I don't know.

Well... if he seems to have admitted it now, why then did he try to avoid explaining himself with vague comments?

I don't buy it.

Renata's argument against mergle is a good one. I don't think too many will miss him, either.

I be agreein' with all them what say that CCRunner should die. there's nothing Kilmorph and a good dwarf hates more than a dirty thief.

okay Mergle it is. However, if one of our items go missing...

Evening Eight

In the afternoon, the Jailer looked to be at risk of execution, but by the end of the day, the suspicions against the Mechanic remained stronger. The old dwarven woman had stayed in her room, tinkering with her gadgetry, only rarely going out among the denizens of the castle. Either she didn't hear the accusations against her, or she didn't care.

In any case, when she walked out of her room in the evening, she saw the stoic faces of her accusers arrayed against her. Yet she didn't get more than ten steps from her room before stopping. The Mechanic suddenly doubled over, clutching her stomach, and began to cough up blood.

There was a flurry of activity as the mob tried to determine what was going on, but the Mechanic was dead before anyone could even get within arm's length. She had been sentenced to death, but something else had gotten to her first.
Spoiler :
The Mechanic was innocent!
With the execution disturbingly averted, only the items remained to be distributed. The Lute and Fiddle went to the Harpischordist, who accepted the instruments with tears in his eyes. The Crest of Animus went to the Historian, who was already studying the item as he returned to his room. Finally, the Blacksmith took the Mithril Armor, looking as pleased as you'd expect from a dwarf with rare mithril in his hands.

The castle went to sleep uneasily. It had been some time since a proper execution had been held, yet people kept dying. Perhaps some felt relieved to have their hands less stained with blood, but for others, it was a disturbing lack of control.

Spoiler :
Beggar Methos (Male, Human)
3 Blacksmith thomas.berubeg (Male, Dwarven) thomas.berubeg CCRunner
Cook Ekolite (Female, Elven) Mergle
Gardener Backwards Logic (Female, Elven)

Groundskeeper Renata (Male, Human) Mergle
4 Harpsichordist Ozbenno (Male, Human) Ozbenno
3 Historian Nictel (Male, Elven) Nictel CCRunner CCRunner
1 Hunter Sepuku (Male, Orc) Sepuku

2 (-1) 2 Jailer CCRunner (Male, Human) CCRunner
Lord Winston Hughes (Male, Elven)
Master-at-Arms RRRaskolnikov (Male, Elven)
5 Mechanic Mergle (Female, Dwarven)
Miller ZPV (Female, Human) Mergle
Paladin PrinceScamp (Male, Human) Ozbenno Nictel thomas.berubeg

Sculptor PaulusIII (Female, Human) CCRunner Ozbenno
Seamstress Seon (Female, Human) Mergle Nictel thomas.berubeg
Seneschal Adrogans (Male, Dwarven) Ozbenno Mergle
Soldier Stuck in Pi (Male, Human)
It is Night Eight!
Those with night actions, send them to me!
Public posting is closed!
Day breaks in 24 hours!

Morning Nine​

Those living in the eastern wing of the castle had a pleasant surprise on the ninth morning of the crisis. It was the bright, warm sun shining through their windows, rising into a wide-open blue sky. The weather had cleared. The remaining denizens of the castle gathered in the courtyard again to enjoy the weather. There was a cool, stiff breeze, but the rays of the sun were surprisingly warm.

There was a light-hearted atmosphere among the shrinking mob as they assembled, this morning. Perhaps it was because the Seneschal's headcount hadn't yet been started, so they could forget for a time that the previous night had been marked by death. Yet considering how small the mob was getting, it wasn't long before someone realized that the Seneschal, Adrogans, hadn't even shown up yet.

His room was empty. There was a smear of blood leading out of the room, and no signs that the Seneschal had been working against the castle he had served.
Spoiler :
The Seneschal was innocent!
It was only after the mob returned to the courtyard and the Lord did his own headcount that everyone realized another person was missing. It was the Sculptor, PaulusIII.

His room was a mess, with furniture smashed and overturned. Apparently the werewolf hadn't been able to find the Sculptor there and had released its frustration on everything present. That's what ended up being the Sculptor's doom - there was a false wall in the back of the room that had been destroyed when a table was thrown at it. The false wall led to a small alcove, an altar to Mulcarn, god of Winter. The Sculptor was there, torn to pieces. Apparently her unholy power hadn't been enough to save her. Her magic staff had been broken in two.
Spoiler :
The Sculptor was a malevolent priest!
Another enemy of the castle had been killed. Now, the castle would need to hand out the items left unclaimed. The Officer's Saber that had previously been voted to the Lord was found in the Seneschal's room and would need to be voted upon again. The Seneschal had also owned the Key to the Catacombs, which led to the labyrinth of hidden passages beneath the castle. Lastly, the Mechanic had owned an odd weapon: a Hand Cannon that looked both bizarre and deadly.

It is Day Nine!
Players, place your votes!
Votes for the Officer's Saber are Blue!
Votes for the Key to the Catacombs are Brown!
Votes for the Hand Cannon are Red!
Public posting is open!
Night falls in 48 hours!

OOC: Were you thinking of...
Spoiler :
?

IC:

Did the Seneschal steal the saber, or did the Lord give it to him?

And Historian, do you have any idea what could be down there?

The Seneschal was a long trusted servant to my family, but he was no warrior. I gave him the Sabre so that he might be able defend himself in this awful place. It seems it was still not enough to save him. Whichever of you is responsible for his murder can be assured that I will not rest until you have been brought to justice.

The historian is visibly excited. For a moment he forgets about the deaths around him.
"Yes the key to the catacombs! I understand! The crest.. The answer must lie in the catacombs! I ask you to vote the key to me. I might be able to find the answer to why the evil presence is here."

The historian has snatched enough items from those more deserving of them - I should have the key to the catacombs. :lol:

(Ekolite)

"The historian doesn't care about life? Does he really want to look guilty?"

"Do not mistake my enthusiasm for carelessness. I only do believe that we might finally find a way to stop these foul murders. I believe that the answer to the ghostly threat lies in the catacombs. Every innocent death pains me deeply.

The cook might want to consider concentrating on cooking instead of trying to hoard every item your eyes fall on. It would be unwise to not make use of my expertise on this matter. Perhaps you can use the handcannon to spice up the soup. Ha!"

So, the Historian has the Crest of Animus, and now he wants the Key to the Catacombs...

Would this really help to end the killing? Or might the Historian have some other motive? Perhaps there's something dangerous lurking down there, and the Crest will allow it to break free...

Personally, despite having no particular reason to suspect the Historian, I'm not prepared to take the risk that it's the latter. And though I am not yet sure who the Key should go to, I would advise great caution before handing it to the one who holds the Crest.

Top Bottom