Night of the Werewolves XXV: Border of Life

(and Methos, whom I should have killed).

Why didn't you kill me? Too many people knew my ability and since I kept surviving, I got to the point I was suspicious of myself! I even asked Chand if I was able to scan myself, as the only reason I figured you hadn't killed me was because I was the one who was possessed. I ended up figuring it would be a waste scanning me as I couldn't do anything about it. :lol:

Instead I kileld RRshank, but I held back because i thought people would actually try and kill the wolf!

Your timing at killing Rask was perfect/horrible, as I had worked with Rask to set Renata up for Rask's ability. It made Renata look very suspcious.

Excellent game Chand, even though there were times I was hoping to be killed and one day I was set to go on a killing spree and start poisoning everybody! :lol:

:clap: Thanks again, Chand! :clap:

Congratluations to the winners. I am a bit disapointed in seon and winston for not lynching PS the first time around, but that is what happens.

I really belived PS would pull it off, but you guys managed to get suspcious of him at the last moment (he would have won the next night and he was immune to wolf kills). Too bad you didn't kill winston as well (either with poision or the knives) so i could win as well...

@ PS: Why did you mention Diamondeye to Ekolite at all? There was no reason to do so...

Of my first 3 scans 1 came back positive despite all 3 having a night time ability. Safe to say I didn't trust my ability very much at that point...

I scanned Renata -> Methos -> Niklas. Renata Scanned Methos -> Niklas -> Me, I belive and Methos scanned Frozen -> Me -> PS. Methos: What reply did you get exactly on that scan? And what description did your ability really have? Backwards logic scanned at least me and Niklas among his first 3 as well. So there was a lot of everyone scanning everyone.

@ BL: We sorta had info from niklas scans as well from renata and methos. We never really trusted him much and then he died...

I would love to see rationale from the various wolves on the various killings. I suspect me trying to complete my motivation (despite already having done so) as well as failing to respond to PS in jail is what killed me. I am curious why Renata, Methos and BL all lived to see the end despite their formidable arrangement of abilities and items.

:cry: :cry: Why did you go and kill me???!? :cry: :cry:

The reason why I thought Methos wasn't getting killed was that he already had some trust in PrinceScamp, and with Diamondeye and TFA gone he was no danger anymore to the ghosts - at least not more than he already was. Because Diamondeye knew that he was a prophet against the ghosts I was surprised as well that Methos lived for so long.

I really should have acted on that since I had two sources telling me of Methos' ability. I didn't, because the sources were Frozen in Ice and Diamondeye and that could cast suspicion on me.

Congrats Chand for this amazing game! And thanks to you all... I had a lot of fun... and yeah to the wolf team ;)
Special award to Methos and Winston who worked hard for this victory...

Cheers

Looking at everything, I was right about Three of the bad guys.
I helped start the campaign against TFO and then pushed to have PS killed and then was finally silenced because of my alignment alone while trying to get the Werewolf killed. I told you guys, I told you, I told you! ;)
We could've had two of the killers lynched much earlier and on the day you killed an innocent, one of the surviving badguys could've taken my place too!
I'll post my character sheet in a sec so you can all see what I was given to work with and that I lied not once to anybody and died as if I had.

Dangit! It seems I deleted my character PM when I purged my inbox earlier so you'll just have to wait to see the Hunter till Chand is ready.

I really regret leaving right at the start-- I found it hard to get back in the game after that. And then the one time I use my ability (to take Scamp's Sword) I get checked for night activity and have to give it back :mad:

Anyway, I'll post the next game thread in about a week to give everyone time to recover and stuff and I'll start sending PM's over the course of that week, starting today. Everyone should get theirs at least 24 hours before the start of the game though.

The historian had been wrong, completely wrong? He likes to think he wasn't. His magical system wasn't perfect but it had helped him a lot.

Yes my friends I am of the great Sidar race! You puny mortals!

Spoiler Starting PM :
Role: Historian
Alignment: Neutral
Ethnicity: Sidar (Shade)
Base Strength: 2
Item: Longbow - Your weapon of choice, long unused but still functional. Required for ability.
Ability: Practice - Each night, you may practice your rusty skills. After six nights of practice, you will gain a new ability.
Victory Condition: Innocent Victory
Motivation: The Gardener must survive.
Background: You are an immortal shade, and old, quite likely the oldest person here at Castle Animus. Your early days are largely forgotten, but some things are clear as though they happened yesterday. You were among the most elite of the Sidar archers, and your partner was an assassin of unparalleled skill. Together, you went on covert reconnaissance missions, assassination missions, and rarely, used your skills in pitched battle for the Sidar. Your partner was incredible, both as an assassin and as a shade. You admired him immensely.

Eventually, you decided to wane, as all shades eventually do, living the rest of your long, long life peacefully. You became a travelling historian, teaching the young mortals of the world about events long past for them, but relatively recent memories for you. One day, when you returned to the Sidar capital, you learned something surprising about your old partner and friend, the assassin, who never put down his blade. He had disappeared - the shades live ephemeral existences, able to fade into the mist at will, but this was something different. That assassin, that hero of the Sidar, had disappeared entirely, using a magic powerful enough that his face and name disappeared from all who knew him. Indeed, the people of the Sidar were slowly forgetting that he had ever existed. But you never forgot.

You gathered what rumors there were, picked the minds of all who might have information, and set out to find your old friend. It was said that he had fallen in love with a mortal woman, a violation of taboo that even you found a bit disgusting. Yet you continued to search, undeterred. Your searching took many years, and carried you across Erebus, but the Sidar are nothing if not persistent, and now here you are. The trail led you to an Amurite village, and an orphanage, where the young Gardener was raised. Though you can't remember the details of the assassin's face, you can't help but feel that hers bears a similarity. Perhaps she will lead you to your objective.

But you didn't expect to be put in a situation like this. It's been a long time since your life has been in danger. You still have your trusty longbow with you, but it's been many years since you've used it. You'll need to practice for at least six nights before you're confident enough in your skills to make use of it. Unfortunately, being gone from your room at night might make you look suspicious, but there's nothing you can do about that.

:clap:

Great game!
Job mighty well done Chand!

So yeah I was wrong. But it was all the fault of the Fantastic Four to suggest there might be another priest. :p

I think I'll write up some after game thoughts now;

Paranoid got a new meaning in this game. :lol:

So I got my PM and my first thoughts were: Great backstory, terrible character.
It almost forced me to go 'no ability, no item' well that wasn't going to go well. Especially not if someone would scan me as active at night. Which would sign my death-warrant. So I decided to a selective few. My choice of Renata, Methos and CCRunner couldn't have been better in retrospect.

I decided not to tell BL anything about our possible connection. There was a possibility it was one of those 'protect a werewolf' scenarios. Also I did not want to take too many risks until I got my ability.

The first days.
Now nobody will probably believe this but if I had anything to say about it I would have hanged Winston day one. Something told me that the whole situation was fishy. See he got way too much positive feedback in item voting and general RP. In my believe, trust based on a character's name/description never happens. But I saw quickly enough that I would never get enough support and I would only endanger myself.

Now the first problems arrived with the Mithril Sword. I wanted it, as it seemed an important/powerful item. It got me way too much attention though. The deal with Princescamp made me actually feel a bit safer since any non-innocents would go after him then. Yeah.

So the days went on and I decided to make a spreadsheet in which I logged the lynch votes. In the meanwhile every morning update was nerve racking. I wanted to stay alive, to die before I actually got to know my ability would be terrible!
The spreadsheet turned out quite helpful and I got something back quite soon when it pointed at TheForerstAuro, since I had little proof it was nice that Renata had scanned him active.

And Night 6 came, morning 7 arrived. AND IT HAPPENED.
Spoiler IT'S THE EYE OF THE TIGER. IT'S THE.. :
Chandrasekhar said:
Nictel said:
Last night of training! Hopefully no werewolves, ghosts or other crazy killers will attack me!

Confirmed. Your practice is complete! Starting from the next night, you should be resistant to night attacks, and capable of protecting one other person of your choice.

:band::woohoo:[pimp]:woohoo::band:

This was way more than I had expected. My answer was also, well see for yourself:
Spoiler :D :
Nictel said:

"I am invincible!"

So in that light I began to take a more active role and was less worried about accusing people. First stop? TFA. I also decided to defend Renata, see I was still not sure BL was innocent. Neither was I sure about Renata but I figured that we had been working well together and even if she was not innocent she had let me live and it could prove to be a bargaining chip.

I did pm BL about our connection, we talked a bit but he seemed wary to form any sort of partnership.

Now I must say around this time the paranoia kicked in I think. Renata especially seemed to have a hard time.

The crest and key.
So I got the crest which was worthless. Worthless people.
But I thought perhaps the key to the catacombs may make it less worthless.
Apparently so did everybody else. Seeing who did not want me to have both items, I must ask would anything actually have happened if I did had gotten both items?

Now time went on and the vote for the handcannon came on. I WAS WORRIED. See my bow protected me and bow < handcannon. And Ekolite was not without suspicion, I did not wanted to get blasted out of the game. Unfortunately Renata forgot(?) she had like two extra votes so that was that. On that matter I did not like Methos with his poison either.

Now my spreadsheet lit up with thomas.berubeg to be the last priest. The problem? Convincing others. "Yeah see I have this spreadsheet and..." proved not to be the most convincing answer. I did feel confident having predicted the last few people that died correctly.

At this point things behind the scenes had become unstable. Accusations were flying left and right, especially Renata and Methos seemed suspicious of each other. It gotten so bad that I got a "last will" pm from Renata. It told of all that she had found out, scans, revelations, the works. It also said that Winston Hughes was the werewolf... WAIT WHAT? The identity of the werewolf is known? The guy is killing us off! So I figured: Renata is afraid of getting killed for this knowledge and now I know it. But why be afraid I figured, if this is public knowledge nobody needs to be afraid and we can decide what to do from there on. We can publicly decide who Winston should kill. A kind of double lynch vote. It didn't happen that way.

The plan came to use the staff to skip the night. I seriously doubted what it would bring, seeing as we would still be with the same lot AND those priests/ghost who are on a timed victory may get closer to winning!

It worked and I made a fool of myself not realising Methos was not death. I actually told him my entire character in believe he was now out of the game. :lol:
Yes. If I wasn't innocent I would have told him that as well. Luckily I was.

Now this meant I also told him about my ability. I got worried that he might not believe me and use the poison to kill me. So I started PM'ing the people I believed to be innocent, like Seon, BL and Renata in which I explained my believes and the situation.

But now everybody followed the vote against thomas. :goodjob:
Of course everybody wanted to know how I knew. It was my magic spreadsheet! :king:

This started the 'battle' between Methos and myself over who were the last ghosts and possibly one more priest! There was still an evil aura surrounding the castle.

See my spreadsheet said that IF there was still one more priest it had to be Ozbenno.
But there weren't any left.

I also made a slight mistake, I've just noticed it. I put a protection vote of TFA for Princescamp as an accusation vote. Yeeh for human error, I guess. :smoke:

So fantastic game had lots of fun. A few headaches but mainly :hatsoff:

Now lets party like it's 1996!

P.S.
Looking forward to the bad guys comments on the game. Also THANK YOU FOR NOT KILLING ME!

Congrats to Chand for a great game, and congrats to the innocents and wolves.

This was a really hard game for me, as most of you will have gathered. :) It was clear pretty much from Day 1 that none of the prophets would be fully reliable. (BTW, Chand, I really love how you implemented that, despite the paranoia it induced.) I was particularly upset to realize that my odds of finding a wolf with my ability were only 1 in 35 ...

Still, it gave me a considerable freedom to act and collect information at the outset of the game, which was nice. I figured that even if I did scan a bad guy (other than the wolf, that is), all that they would learn by my saying so was that I was no particular threat to them -- I was hoping that might help to keep me safe. And in the meantime I'd just get more and more information.

As it turned out, the only non-werewolf bad guy I ever scanned was thomas.berubeg, and that was fairly late in the game. The information-gathering worked well, though: I knew more things about more people in this game than I ever have before, I think.

oyzar said:
Renata Scanned Methos -> Niklas -> Me

Actually it was Niklas-Methos-you. (At that point, I asked Chand if I was becoming too predictable, heh. But there were actually reasons for the latter two choices beyond just who you are. Methos had been going around talking about the wolf maybe being innocent, and I was getting tired of fending you off! Plus, you'd been talking elliptically about Backwards Logic, and given that he made three people with the claimed ability to find out what people were doing at night, I wanted to know more about it.) Scans after that were Izipo, [Edit: then D'artagnan59 :cry:], thomas.berubeg, then Winston Hughes, at which point further scans became irrelevant.

I don't know yet if I'll write up an AAR, but I'll certainly chime in around the edges of other people's. Congratulations to all the winners, sorry to those innocents I killed or caused to die, and thank you to Chand for a brilliant game. (And sorry for flipping out.)

I never talked to you about backwards logic before you scanned me as he aproached me way after we had talked after you had scanned me...

And my starting PM:

Spoiler :
Chandrasekhar said:
Role: Groundskeeper
Alignment: Neutral
Ethnicity: Ljosalfar (born Doviello)
Base Strength: 2
Item: Key to the Kennel - Your privilege as Groundskeeper. Required for ability.
Ability: Release the Hounds - Each night, you may have your dogs investigate someone for werewolf scent.
Motivation: Acquire a weapon.
Background: You were born among the Doviello, but you have no memories of life among them. Shortly after you were born, your clan destroyed itself attempting to attack a well-fortified Ljosalfar stronghold. You were found as a baby at the deserted camp by the elves, and taken in to be raised among them. While you have some of the natural traits of the Doviello, you don't identify yourself as one of them.

Eventually you ended up as groundskeeper and kennelmaster for the lord here. You've always gotten along well with dogs, and your kennel is like your family. As it happens, few things drive a dog crazy like the scent of a werewolf - you can use this to your advantage by patrolling with your dogs at night.

Anyway, even if you're a tamed wolf, you don't like being declawed. You never received formal combat training, perhaps because the elves were uneasy about letting a "savage Doviello" hold a sword, but you still know how to fight. If you can find a weapon for yourself, you'll be happy to put it to use defending the castle. You're no berserker, but some part of you wants to draw blood for your pack.

That last part sure turned out prophetic, didn't it? :rotfl:

But see, Winston, no motivation to kill you!

I never talked to you about backwards logic before you scanned me as he aproached me way after we had talked after you had scanned me...

You're probably right; it's all muddled in my head. There was some reason other than the pressure you were putting on me that I wanted to scan you, but it could have been just a general "oyzar knows stuff", rather than any particular piece of information I wanted.

Nictel: My voting pattern was intentionaly so unremarkeable that it shouldn't have drawn any attention. what caught your eye? (so I know to do better next time)

Starting PM:

Spoiler :
Role: Blacksmith
Alignment: Evil-Neutral
Ethnicity: Khazad
Base Strength: 4
Item: None
Ability: Forge of Kilmorph - Once you procure the required items, you will be able to forge a weapon of great power.
Motivation: Possess the items necessary to the forging of Kilmorph’s Weapon.
Background: Trained in the Mines of Gol-dur, you were among the most gifted and skilled of the Smiths of Kilmorph. That is, until you got complacent and lazy, and the forge on which you were working melted through your inattention. Even that would not have been so bad, were it not for the Thane of Kilmorph that accused you of being a follower of Mammon, and a disciple of the sin of sloth. So you punched him, knocked him out, and were exiled to the surface.
To win back the favor of the Dwarves, you resolved to re-forge an ancient weapon of Kilmorph, dating from the God’s war. Pieces had been used by various blacksmiths since the weapon had been lost, but you have managed to track the various pieces here, to the castle Animus.

Oops, actually: that's the one I wrote up for myself incase I needed to prove anything to anyone.

this is the real one:

Spoiler :
Role: Blacksmith
Alignment: Evil
Ethnicity: Calabim (Khazad abductee)
Base Strength: 4
Item: None
Ability: Aura of Rage - Forces the werewolf to continue killing or else go insane and die.
Victory Condition: Absolute Dominance
Motivation: One innocent at the end of the game must be at 4 strength or higher.
Background: You have come here on a mission from the dark gods. As a priest of Aeron, you are certainly the most evil of your team. Though you're as intelligent if not moreso than most people, you have given your heart to your inner beast, and you enjoy living a monstrous existence as a predator.

You grew up among the Calabim as a bloodpet, a source of food for vampires. Some vampires prefer to feed from dwarves, as your sturdy constitution can let you survive frequent feedings. Still, your eventual death would have been inevitable, if you hadn't managed to break free from your bonds and smash a puny bloodsucking aristocrat's face in. By all rights, you should have been executed on the spot, but apparently your ferocity attracted the notice of a priest of Aeron, and you were taken in as an apprentice.

You didn't have anything to do with this plot to uncover Animus's hidden knowledge, and you were only brought along as an afterthought to be a meatshield for the squishier priests. That doesn't bother you at all. You look forward to the final battle, when the innocents are worn down to the point that you'll be able to reliably overwhelm them and crush their bodies into a bloody pulp. Your only regret is that it'll be too easy by that point - if you can orchestrate events so that one of the innocents will at least prove a worthy challenge for you, you'll be a lot happier in the end.

and the Priests one:

Spoiler :
Welcome, profane conspirators! You are the priest team, and you're here to kill everyone and find some forbidden knowledge. To fulfill this task, you each have your own specialties.

Your leader is the priest of Mulcarn, masquerading as the Sculptor. Her frozen soul wards off the attacks of whatever strange beings are behind the mysterious killings, and this oppressive aura extends to cover the whole castle, blanketing it in winter and thwarting other large-scale magic in the vicinity.

Also among your number is the priest of Agares, going as a Bard. Using the dark magic at his disposal, he may evade death by the mob, and so long as he lives, an aura of despair will influence the innocents. Even if victory is at hand, and all the night killers have been defeated, they will continue to lynch each other as though their lives depended on it, at least for a time.

Lastly, you also have the help of the priest of Aeron, who appears to be the Blacksmith. With his Body-sphere spells, he can fight off werewolf attacks singlehandedly, and as a byproduct, a furious aura permeates the castle - apparently, it is this that drives the werewolf insane and forces him to kill off the innocents one by one, unwittingly doing your bidding.

For your team to win, you must have enough strength to overpower the innocents. Though you lack a night kill ability, the other denizens of the castle seem quite happy to kill each other off, so it should only be a matter of time 'till you have the upper hand. With these fools out of the way, you should have plenty of time to find the hidden library of Animus, whose tomes will surely grant you incredible power.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. Good luck!

(Individual character PMs will be coming soon.)

Chand, would anything bad have happened if I'd ever knifed Winston? I came so close a couple of times .... Looks like that was a(nother) mistake?

Renata: I might have won. I'de finished the game with a strength of 6, and if you'de all beleived me, It wouldn't have been hard to get more.

Given that there were still 9 people alive when the game ended, the chance that you would have won were rather slim. The innocents would have stopped lynching after both winston and PS died and hence you would have lost. If PS wasn't killed he would have won this night. A lot of the innocents had higher than 1 strength too, there were numerous items floating around giving strength boosts.

Nictel: My voting pattern was intentionaly so unremarkeable that it shouldn't have drawn any attention. what caught your eye? (so I know to do better next time)

I'll try to explain, some may recognise this. ;)

First off; Methos, Renata, Princescamp and myself were scanned non priest by Splime. Since both he (Splime) and myself are innocent I assume the scans are true and everyone of that group is non priest.

Then ZPV and Seon are innocent based on voting, they were one of the first to vote for Frozen, TFA and DE. Making them non priest and non ghost now with Winston being the werewolf they are not and thus innocent. I believe I had Winston as a none priest before this as well.

Then Stuck in Pi and backwards logic are non priests based on voting.

Then I got some more stuff from Renata on scans.

First off thomas was active on one of the nights.
Ozbenno and Ekolite have been scanned inactive on several nights.
As such the only person left to be a priest was thomas.

So you should be one of the first three to vote for one of your allies. It was not so much your voting as the voting of others.

Top Bottom