1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Night of the Werewolves XXVII: Night of Blood

Discussion in 'Mafia/NOTW' started by oyzar, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

I am just warning people that when I say update's 21:00 (or something like that), I am not sitting with a watch counting the seconds. It means "around 21". If you want to be sure your vote/action is registered, I suggest adding it to the thread/PMing ½-1 hour before 21.

By the way, I think I still lack 5 players or so for XXVIII.

2. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

That's GMT, right?

3. Diamondeye

Huh? I was stating an example. But I suspect the updates will be at 21 CET in my game - counting Summertime savings.

4. KingMorgan

KingMorgan Deity

Which is GMT -2.

5. Diamondeye

I was of the impression that CET is GMT +2?

6. J-man

J-man Deity

GMT+ is this side of Greenwich.

7. Nictel

Nictel Emperor

Depends if you mean Central European Time that is indeed atm GMT +2
    Or are possibly be confused with EST which is GMT -4 I believe.

8. CCRunner

CCRunner Deity

How about we just say "update is around this time tomorrow" instead

Less math that way :p

9. Diamondeye

Central European Time.

10. J-man

J-man Deity

To add to the confusion: CET is GMT +1, except during daylight saving time, then it's GMT +2 (It's then called CEST).

GMT is now officially UTC (universal time coordinated), this strange abbreviation is a result of a compromise with the French. :p

11. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

I laughted hard when I got this.

12. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

So Catharsis's ability knew the truth of the words, not the truth of the person saying it? Tolis didn't know it was me that attacked him. He just guessed it was me.

13. oyzar

Some more pm's that people might find interesting from my game:

14. civplayah

civplayah phantasm

Do you have the one where I had my arms broken? I wanted to show it to the others, but I deleted it.

15. oyzar

Here it is.

16. Pinman

Pinman Demons & Brazil

Day 3

So I see the Morning post, and as I told oyzar, I needed to swear. Not only was Ekolite innocent, but Winston- a potential valuable ally, was dead. Furthermore, as the day progressed, two valuable members of the cure team- Methos and Sepuku, were in considerable danger. Myself and Morgan appeared powerless to save them, and the situation looked incredibly grim.

The situation called for radical action. I decided to accord TFA a degree of trust, based on my theories about innocent demons and his confirmed ability. It seemed unlikely in my opinion that TFA would reveal himself as a demon if he was guilty. You also have to remember that at this time I thought the only role the demons played in the game was to be unconvertible (Something that Oyzar tells me is true btw). In any event, after beating around the bush for a bit, I told him that I was the curer and Sepuku was innocent. It was only much later that I was to slip up and TFA would find out that I wasn’t the curer.

In any event, TFA believed me and rescinded his accusation of Sepuku in the thread. He told me everything he knew, including that Banana Lee’s ability was to lower a person’s strength by cutting their clothes every night. This struck me as suspicious, but TFA said that he and Banana had protect motivations on each other and he didn’t think Banana was guilty.

Things were great with TFA for a while, until he pops in to tell me that he knows Methos is a killer. Apparently Catharsis had scanned one of Methos’ sentences and discovered that he killed Tolis! Catharsis decided to trust TFA, being an apparent representative of the curer, with this information. To defuse the situation, I told TFA that myself and Methos had been scanned to have innocent VCs by a prophet, but that Methos was indeed an innocent vigilante.

Now, having known Catharsis’ ability since the previous day, I had already slipped in a sentence in the thread saying that I was innocent. Catharsis was supposed to find this sentence by himself, thereby giving him reason to trust me. However, with Catharsis now actively trying to get one of my valuable allies lynched, it became necessary to confront him directly. I told him that I knew of his ability, that Methos was innocent, and pointed to my sentence in the thread as scan material for that night. Later on, I also asked Methos to leave his own - “I am innocent”- declaration in the thread. This didn’t amount to anything as Catharsis chose to scan my sentence.

Reasonably early on, Methos approached me to tell me that he had been in contact with civplayah since the beginning of the game. Apparently, civplayah claimed to be able to determine somebody’s ability through “interrogation”, and had scanned Renata on Night 1 and Winston on Night 2. He claimed that Renata had no ability, and Winston could determine whether or not somebody was a ghost. Methos took the convenient deaths of Winston and Renata to mean that civplayah was lying, and wanted to kill him. I advised against this, and was pretty sure that civplayah sounded innocent. I mean, what Methos was proposing would be a pretty stupid move for a killer. So I suggested that we have civplayah scan TFA as a way to confirm his ability. In any event, this new information made me scared about a third conversion team, and for the rest of the game i’d be looking over my shoulder scared that one morning the ghosts were going to take over- having played me brilliantly.

The following was revealed in the Book of the Werewolves on this day:

Spoiler :
    Reading further in the book, you come to a section that looks interesting. Pretty much any humanoid species can turn into a werewolf. Humans, elves, dwarves and orcs have known to be infected. Not only werewolves exist. There are also werebears and even werefish. Most animals can be used for werefication. Not all of them are as useful however, and few match the strength, speed and cunning of the werewolves. The reason werewolf is the most common might also be because not many of the other possiblities have been tried out...

I decided to take advantage of the two public spokesmen for the cure team- Sepuku and TFA. At this point I was labouring under the assumption that the Vampire Master’s ability would be to convert others- like Sepuku- and therefore could not have another confirmable ability. I also assumed that he would have a book of vampires- and therefore couldn’t have a confirmable item. So I sent out Sepuku to badger people to show him their items and tell him about themselves. Sepuku distinguished himself in this art of badgering. Under threat of lynch he got Autolycus to reveal his Hourglass and its ability to extend the day by 24 hours. He also discovered thomas’ Drum, Chandrasekhar’s Staff, Paulus’ Harp, and the fact that gargnarath and Seon both claimed the ability to have a double vote because they were pregnant. This would confuse me, make me suspicious, and ultimately cause the murder of gargnarath by Methos later on.

Despite being certain of Sepuku’s innocence I continued voting against him to maintain my cover. I asked Morgan not to vote for the same reason. The newly created cure team however, began voting against people we considered suspicious. Autolycus was suspicious because of a letter he sent Sepuku advising him not to mention the notion of a second cure team. We also suspected Izipo because the way he was voting against Sepuku in the face of his new support struck a chord in my gut. Ultimately we realized that we weren’t going to get anybody lynched and we reverted to trying to support Sepuku with our known allies.

Later on in the day sprig approached me to tell me that gargarath told him that zackdabeast was a prophet and found Sepuku to be a wolf! Now, this confused me immensely as I knew this was impossible. So, in order to clear things up, I approached Zack and asked him to trade abilities. I told him taht weapons in my hand gave +1 strength more than in somebody else’s. He told me that he was a race prophet, having scanned sprig and Sepuku. He told me that sprig was human, but never exactly told me what he had found on Sepuku. For his next scan, he was planning to check TFA but i told him that it was silly to check somebody who already admitted to being a member of the demon race. Instead, I suggested Chandrasekhar. Unfortunately, when I PMed zack in the morning, he told me he was bored of NoTW and had decided not to scan Chand.

Now, I had been planning to scan Backwards Logic that night to gain some information on a good player who was remaining suspiciously silent. You can therefore imagine my surprise when right after the evening post Backwards logic approached me and told me that he converted me into a vampire on Night 1! I was totally blown by this sudden revelation that I became suspicious that Backwards Logic was trying to bluff me into revealing a conversion attempt. Eventually however, I came to believe that he was telling the truth ( which wasn’t exactly good for him). He told me that Catharsis was converted on Night 2, and I recommended Chandrasekhar for a Night 3 conversion. I was also surprised to learn that his motivation was to survive, and that there was no Book of Vampires- something I had expected to find.

In any event, I concocted a story about me scanning for motivations to explain being out when he converted me on night 1, and promised to talk to him in the morning. I then called an emergency conference of the cure team, and it was agreed that TheForestAuro would put Backwards logic to sleep to prevent him from resisting a kill like Tolis had; Methos was to murder Backwards Logic with his knives; Morgan was to cure Catharsis; and I decided to use my ability on Kulko, somebody I had been concerned about since the previous day.

This is what I received on Kulko that night:

Spoiler :

17. TheForestAuro

TheForestAuro Whisper in the Trees

That was my last night as an innocent ;)

18. PaulusIII

PaulusIII Unholy Warlord

It did have another (perhaps unintended) effect, though - it dissuaded me from further action against Methos, where I had previously planned on a rebuttal of the details Methos posted.

Since Sepuku had told me of Catharsis' ability (without the name though) and Methos' comment seemed to fit poorly, I'd figured that comment was to get himself scanned innocent by Catharsis. And I was at least prepared to wait another day for a lynch, and Methos redeemed himself that night... ;)

19. oyzar

Still waiting for the rest from pinman ;).

Note that this doesn't actually confirm in any way that Tolis was a demon, but Methos thought Tolis was a demon as he went out to hunt him...