Night of the Werewolves XXVIII Game Thread

Yeah that pissed me off and caught me off guard :( then i got blasted cos i was acting weird.

Mind you i did talk to sepuku and thought i had managed to change his mind about slaying me and get seon instead but alas...

Sepuku sent in a cancel order after I had written the update where you died, but before he had read it.

Lucky him :p

And Seon's objective was just to reach the tower alive?

... With his weapon, yes. I added him to punish the innocents should they choose not to vote - an incentive to voting...

General problem with these games: we are constantly adding more and more wolf teams to balance out the innocents. Why not just weaken the innocents?

That said, this game was well balanced, the innocents just got lucky...

Correct. Sprig's form of death rendered his ability useless (think about if he had slain three strength 1 people - perhaps Oyzar, Civplayah and someone else?), the Destructionists got caught up early and no-one thought about the fact that the Flesh Golem was not indestructible (just immune to the standard kills) and had the highest strength.

The failed attack on Sepuku was also a very fortunate turn of event; he had been granted the eldrich staff for one-time protection, but the villains did not attempt to kill him again. I must congratulate Sepuku for playing a central part in getting some sort of overview over this game by a terrific use of his ability.

Correct. Sprig's form of death rendered his ability useless (think about if he had slain three strength 1 people - perhaps Oyzar, Civplayah and someone else?),

Yeah, that would have pretty much sucked, particularly those people. Winston's ability screwed the Preservers, and Winston couldn't be killed without first killing Oyzar, so these two people were probably two of their biggest threats.

The failed attack on Sepuku was also a very fortunate turn of event; he had been granted the eldrich staff for one-time protection, but the villains did not attempt to kill him again. I must congratulate Sepuku for playing a central part in getting some sort of overview over this game by a terrific use of his ability

It's a good thing they thought he didn't give the staff away and it lasted forever...

The failed attack on Sepuku was also a very fortunate turn of event; he had been granted the eldrich staff for one-time protection, but the villains did not attempt to kill him again. I must congratulate Sepuku for playing a central part in getting some sort of overview over this game by a terrific use of his ability.

Indeed.

He was one of the three pillars of the innocent win, the others being civplayah (for bringing down the Destructionists almost single-handed) and oyzar (who did a brilliant job of compiling all the information gathered behind the scenes).

I couldn't say which of them was most important to the win, but Sepuku certainly deserves a large slice of the credit for showing such nerve and sound judgement.

Winston's ability screwed the Preservers, and Winston couldn't be killed without first killing Oyzar, so these two people were probably two of their biggest threats.

Actually, my ability didn't do much for the innocent team:

First Night said:
Chandrasekhar seems to sleeping through the night without any disturbances or actions.

So Chand was able to kill (via ZPV) without my spotting it. Under different circumstances, this might have made me into a false prophet, clearing Chand of a killing he was actually responsible for.

Second Night said:
KingMorgan seems to be fast asleep the entire night.

Third Night said:
Oyzar does nothing this night.

That oyzar wasn't sleeping did make me rather suspicious of him, though later on it helped to support his (truthful) ability claim.

Fourth Night said:
Frozen In Ice sleeps the entire night.

Another villain scanned, another blank result.

Fifth Night said:
Hell_Hound seems to be performing some sort of scan of TheForestAuro. He does nothing else this night.

At last a positive hit. :)

I came straight out and asked HH what he'd found out about TFA, and we then shared our respective scan results (his being a whole lot more useful than mine). Since oyzar already knew both sides of the story, however, there wasn't much added benefit to the innocent cause.

Sixth Night said:
As you foresaw, KingMorgan does nothing tonight.

There was some poor communication here, resulting in civplayah and myself both scanning KM at the same time. Clearly, my scan was the less useful of the two.

ps. Note the nice touch by DE. I originally came up with the idea of claiming to see the future to provide an explanation if I survived an attack - I could say my ability was to forsee, and thus avoid, my own death (so keeping my true role a secret).

Seventh Night said:
Oyzar poisoned Backwards Logic with the Tear of Agares. He also recieved a Mithril Longsword from Frozen In Ice.

Worried about the possibility of a second assassin, oyzar had tried to blackmail both BL and Frozen into giving up their weapons. When we last spoke, he told me that Frozen had agreed, while BL was holding out, and we concurred that BL should die if he didn't concede.

Initially, I sent the order to scan Frozen, who was the only serious suspect remaining in my tower. But in the end I decided to watch oyzar instead, mainly just to keep my paranoia about him in check. :blush:

In the event, it didn't matter which I chose: either way, I would've seen Frozen give up his sword, and thus would be hesitant about trying to have him lynched. After talking to TFA (who most certainly did not pick Frozen at random - and I have the IM logs to prove it!), I made a half-hearted attempt to get Hell_Hound to accuse Frozen as well.

Had I not seen the mithril longsword change hands, Frozen would most likely have faced the mob, which would have been a shame, since he did a great job of pretending to be innocent - it was only process of elimination that put him in the firing line.

AAR

Day one.

The first thing I did was PM several people. I PMed BL and Renata asking if they'd like to work together. BL responded "While I'm not against the idea, I should point out I do not trust easily, especially at this early juncture of the game. Be that as it may, I am willing to keep an open line of communication with you if you so choose.". And Renata basically said she's willing to give away her PM for mine in return. And we talked for a little, exchanged our PM information, talked about our recipes and regeants...
Some early accusations were being made, including one against me, and I said that I didn't have anything to say.
That night, I didn't scan anyone because I was on vacation and forgot about the game.

Day 2
I scanned ATPG because I figured he'd be a good ally because of his experience.

The scan came back negative, and I was determined to tell someone. So, I turned to Renata. I told her that I knew something vital, and I needed someone who wouldn't exploit the info. Renata said she agreed and I told her. At first, she didn't know what I meant, but when I told her it was his VC, a lightbulb went off in her head. We promptly made the connection from ATPG to Nictel, because ATPG wanted Nictel to have a ritual regeant. I posted in the thread that I had "a huge hunch" that Nictel shouldn't have it, but no one believed me. Of course, I didn't know Nictel was evil but it's only logic.
Also, I didn't tell Renata it was me. I sorta gave hints to that it was me, but I was edgy about telling her that it was me, in case she was evil. Renata also told me not to tell anyone about how I know there are more than two teams of enemies, and that Winston would ask. And, sure enough, Winston did ask, and I told him I couldn't tell him. Renata also got angry frustrated. She said that she was putting up with too much bs, and that the info was coming from someone else. (but it was really me, still being edgy). In the end, I told her it was me.
Winston replied to my message, saying, "So you're the VC prophet? Then you know I'm innocent." Gosh, how do these people figure that stuff out like that? Well, I said I hadn't scanned him. But, since I knew he was innocent; FREE ALLY!
Renata posted her accusation against ATPG, which got him "lynched" but CCRunner got lynched instead because of ATPG's ability.

That night, Renata was killed, which was no surprise.

Day 3
Nictel came back negative. I told Winston about Nictel, and Winston said he would take care of it. Before she died, Renata gave me the Eye of the Necromancer, and I could find out someone's strength every time they die. But, Renata told me to pass the Eye along to BL to see if he had use for it. I never did know what he did with it.
Also, I made allies with BL because ATPG accused him once and I had no other people that were positively innocent. Winston wanted me to scan Autolycus next, so I did.

Winston replied to my message, saying, "So you're the VC prophet? Then you know I'm innocent." Gosh, how do these people figure that stuff out like that?

As I explained at the time:
Winston said:
The only good reasons I can think of for you to keep secret the explanation of why you know there are two villain teams are:

1) you can scan for a specific type of villain VC

2) you're a villain

I doubt you're the latter, so...

since I knew he was innocent; FREE ALLY!

You made a good call there, but it was more a leap of faith than you realise - even if I had been a villain, I might well have used the same reasoning.

Winston wanted me to scan Oyzar because he was being shady, so I did.

I believe you scanned Autolycus next, then oyzar the following night.

And my reasoning was not so much that oyzar was acting suspicious, but rather that he knew too much to be kept out of the loop any longer. He was already well on his way to figuring out that you were the prophet, and I knew that connecting his info with ours would close the circle around the badguys.

So it was a win-win scan: if he's guilty, then that's another villain nailed; if he's innocent, we've gained a powerful ally.

My getting scanned early is part of that same unfortunate phenomenon we find at the .org all the time, where certain experienced veterans predictably always get investigated. I was caught red-handed and so was Nictel, and then CC died by randomness. Nothing went right. You guys didn't get to see the full power of the dark side this game. Even when our entire team was screwed I tried, tried, tried to pull of the ruse that we were masons. I don't know if my efforts were remotely successful. But they might have been if I had been allowed to post our "mason team" quicktopic.

:(

My only consolation is that I picked sprig for being evil and convinced Sepuku to kill him. Being able to help slay an opposing mafia makes my performance this game a preview of what I can do. Perhaps next time I won't be pwned so early by a detective. ;)

Actually, my ability didn't do much for the innocent team:

Oh. I figured you might have scanned Chand, which was why everybody suddenly decided to vote for him on Day Five.

Why did everyone decide to vote for him on Day Five, anyway? I asked sepuku about that but he never answered my PM.

oyzar mentioned to me once that it was mostly process of elimination. The innocents were talking in this game, to all appearances, and Chand wasn't.

My getting scanned early is part of that same unfortunate phenomenon we find at the .org all the time, where certain experienced veterans predictably always get investigated. I was caught red-handed and so was Nictel, and then CC died by randomness. Nothing went right. You guys didn't get to see the full power of the dark side this game. Even when our entire team was screwed I tried, tried, tried to pull of the ruse that we were masons. I don't know if my efforts were remotely successful. But they might have been if I had been allowed to post our "mason team" quicktopic.

Yep, happens here too. In one of the recent games (Chandrasekhar's), one of our players who wasn't really in this one (Methos) got scanned three times in the first two nights. (I got scanned twice myself.) One of the goals I had for the game Ekolite and I were going to do together was to make it so that no single prophet could take down a bad guy on their own, except in maybe one or two cases where they could do it if they got lucky/smart. It's a lot harder that way, of course. :D (Chand's game itself was built somewhat along those lines, and though the innocents won*, it was grueling.)

*Sort of. Technically, the werewolves won, though they weren't strictly bad guys. Still should have stabbed you, Winston. ;)

oyzar mentioned to me once that it was mostly process of elimination. The innocents were talking in this game, to all appearances, and Chand wasn't.

That's part of it, but there were more solid reasons.

For one thing, I had tricked Chand into revealing his 'ability' (by implying that I'd scanned him as active on the second night), which was conveniently unverifiable. For another thing, HH had scanned Chand's motivation, which, combined with what oyzar knew about ZPV, seemed quite suspicious.

oyzar and I talked for a while about whether to give Chand a chance to defend himself, but in the end we decided to just go straight for the lynch. We were both pretty confident he was a villain, and we didn't want to risk a repeat of his game-winning defence in The War Party.

Edit:
Technically, the werewolves won, though they weren't strictly bad guys. Still should have stabbed you, Winston. ;)

Technically, schmechnically:

CONGRATULATIONS, WEREWOLF TEAM! You are victorious, along with the surviving innocents!

My only consolation is that I picked sprig for being evil and convinced Sepuku to kill him.

If only the GM had waited a little bit for the update or sepuku acted quicker. I would have made sure that I was the target for the lynch the next day.

I hated the fact my ability was wasted.

What actually happened was Winston said something along the lines that he was suspicious of Frozen, and then I immediately accused him without any provocation from Winston. We eventually decided this plan was hilarious enough to work.

But no, the decision to accused Frozen was in fact Winston's.

Well, I'd like to congrat DE on an amazing game! This was alot of fun and I think my favorite NotW style game I've played! :D

I'd also like to thank those that trusted my words and worked with me while I searched out everybodies Items :lol:
It also seems that you guys might be starting to believe me when I say I'm more truthful then most!

Also, I gotta appologize to ATPG. You helped me out a bunch and I totally stabbed you in the back. Even though you really were a baddie, I still feel a little bad for doing that. :(

Also, I gotta appologize to ATPG. You helped me out a bunch and I totally stabbed you in the back. Even though you really were a baddie, I still feel a little bad for doing that. :(

Yeah that's right. Part of this victory belongs to me! The Chaos Archmage will return, and when he does, y'all are going to be boned in a manner none have ever seen before.

Yeah that's right. Part of this victory belongs to me! The Chaos Archmage will return, and when he does, y'all are going to be boned in a manner none have ever seen before.

Looking foward to it :D

The only thing that makes me mad is this game I got to be perhaps the most fun character ever and that was cut short. You could have kept me around a lot longer, I had basically surrendered anyway.

Top Bottom