1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NiGHTS: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Civilization NiGHTS' started by markusbeutel, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Karantaner

Karantaner Warlord

sorry to bother you markus, but any news on a G&K update :)

2. Morceratu

Morceratu Chieftain

Great mod!

A question. Is this mod meant to be compatible with scenarios using just a map and start locations? I'm playing a game with Sven's Europe currently. It's playable, but there are some issues.

Cultural revolutions aren't working, militaristic citystates aren't giving units, the game crashes sometimes and every now and then I can't select a new building task in a city.

3. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Start locations will probably cause bugs, basic maps should be fine.

Semester ends August 15th - I hope to get an update released sometime between then and August 30th. :)

It would - in that it probably wouldn't work at all. All of the buildings/units/techs are custom in Nights, so that whenever Firaxis releases a patch, they don't muck things up and force me to make dozens of minuscule changes.

Not updated yet, no. If you have G+K's installed, you'll need to move it out of your CIV V DLC folder in order to get Nights to work without bugs and/or crashing.

Will hopefully get this fixed in the next update.

I plan on adding a few additional synergies for the G+K's update as there are a few more options available to mod now in this regard. I rarely get to Nukes so I couldn't say. :)

Alright - sorry for the lack of posts lately everyone - have had a pretty hectic semester so far, but the good news is I have a break between Aug 15th and Aug 30th, so I hope to get an update for G+K's (and the latest patches) released sometime during this time-frame.

4. gavingoodrich

gavingoodrich Chieftain

Found some weird bugs:

For some reason, at least as roman...it'll prompt me to "choose production" on random cities that are ready ffor it, but it won't respond to any clicks for the next unit/building/research/wealth/etc etc.

Usually a quicksave and re-loading the game fixes it, but often times in the top menu bar where it shows research, income, happiness, etc...you get some wierd arbitrary code like 000000's and stuff.

Love the mod, fascinating and beautiful work and really lets you appreciate each age a LOT more. Loving it...but hoping i can find a fix to this bug.

5. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Thanks gavinggoodrich. :) The top menu bug appears if you reload from within a game, due to some load orders switching up via the last few patches, which means you can only currently reload Nights from the main menu.

As for your first bug, have you tried clearing out your CIV V cache and moduserdata folders? Also make sure to frequently clear any inactive mods from your MODS folder, and then verify the integrity of your CIV V cache through Steam. All of these steps usually fix random bugs like the first one you mentioned.

6. gavingoodrich

gavingoodrich Chieftain

great. i can deal with reloading from the menu every time as long as i don't have to reload the game every time :lol:

7. Ironrod

Ironrod Chieftain

If it sheds any further light, the bug is also triggered if you View a puppeted city.

8. ogriin

ogriin Chieftain

Thanks for your work, NIGHTs is the only reason why I still play Civ and it's example how the vanilla game should look like

9. gavingoodrich

gavingoodrich Chieftain

Just a quick update: yeah reloading from the main menu had no problems, and yes the other error i mentioned a few posts above ^ i can confirm the error with the production menu/citizen placement on the map/etc gets jammed up when you view a puppet city.

Otherwise, great game! Where can i find the list of things I might want to confirm? Like when i circumnavigated the globe for the first time, next turn all naval units (not embarked) got +2 movement. Was looking for the master list :crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

10. bokaj

bokaj Chieftain

i've deinstalled god&kings in order to play civ nights again haha. G&K was really good but I enjoyed nights more. there is so much more variety in each nights game i play. thanks again!

11. Wopsh

Wopsh Chieftain

You should change the message "includes all DLC" to clarify that NiGHTS is incompatible with G&K.

12. Gorhaax

Gorhaax Warlord

How does one uninstall the expansion?

13. Karantaner

Karantaner Warlord

you do not need to uninstall the expansion - just move the expansion folder to a different place on your hard drive when you want to play NiGHTS. After playing NiGHTS just move it back to its orginal position and you can play G&K again

14. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Thanks ogriin - I agree. :lol:

I don't think that's listed in the mod notes, but most of the info regarding what's changed is on the first page of this thread.

Cheers bokaj - one of my main vices with vanilla (and G+K's) is that there just end up being too many set paths that are taken over and over again. I've tried to add enough variety in tech paths, building, and policy choices, along with terrain bonuses, so that each game feels different in that regard. But you shouldn't have to uninstall it - just drag the G+K's folder out of your DLC folder, and Nights should play fine.

Good point - wasn't really thinking about the expansion as being DLC, (although it should be compatible soon).

On my term break - working on G+K's compatibility. Hopefully will be released within a week. :)

15. Balerune

Balerune Prince

Glad to see you back. :)

16. bokaj

bokaj Chieftain

You have really accomplished your goal! Every game is a new challenge and it's always a tough decision which tech and social policy to choose next because there are so many benefits in every one. Although I must say that for the first two policies I almost always go for the piety opener and the one that gives 30% culture from excess happiness. However the other openers are pretty good too - it just makes sense to go with piety first because it really gets the culture going early on.

Speaking of policis, the only thing I don't like that much is that the first commerce policies after the opener are all only beneficial to costal cities. But I'm sure you have done this intentionally for some balancing reason. :)

Awesome, thanks man!

17. Gorhaax

Gorhaax Warlord

On one hand I would love to move the expansion folder (HUGE kudos to Firaxis for this, very few publishers would do this today) out, but on the other hand I love so many of the changes that the expansion has brought to the table:
    - MUCH improved diplomacy
    - 100 HP combat system (it surprisingly helps in making for some better tactical combat)
    - Religion (big improvement from civ 4's lackluster religion)
    - Spies (also improved from civ 4 but maybe needs more)
    - Combat paths immensely improved (I'm glad that i no longer have to boot it to Muskets if I don't have Iron, upgrade paths seem much more logical now, and composite bowmen etc.)
    - Engine improvements (maybe it's just me but playing now is less taxing on my laptop and Dx9 version no longer has so many pimples)

I'm probably missing a few things of note, but these improvements just mean that you improvements will make the game even more awesome.

18. Wallabulla

Wallabulla Warlord

Great news as I can't play Nights even if I remove/rename the G&K folder. If I do that
    then I don't get the option to play with mods. Don't know why this is. Even reinstalled CiV..

19. Sardauker

Sardauker Chieftain

Please, please, fix upgrades lost on level up.

20. TheGreatWolfy

TheGreatWolfy Chieftain

I have a suggestion, to encourage diversity in armies, make the combat more rock, paper sissorish