1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NiGHTS: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Civilization NiGHTS' started by markusbeutel, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Balerune

Balerune Prince

Got a UN victory on immortal, perfect world 3; first time I tried playing with an interior capital city (usually coastal.) (I only married 1 CS.)

I thought I had the game under control until India and Japan decided they wanted to conquor the world but I avoided wars (was on my own continent.) India had the highest score and build Appolo and UN and had one booster built.

It always seems that late in the game the AI build the UN whether or not they have the required CS locked up.

2. Balerune

Balerune Prince

I've noticed in the last few games that I get a UN popup when the UN is built, 10 turns before the actual voting. I don't know if this is something new in vanilla or not.:)

3. Chile

Chile Chieftain

1. Magna Charta seems quiet expensive:

I have a largest city on the map (33 in 1650) with a lot production boni.
    It still takes 21 turns to build (epic gs). I think a city like this should be able to build it in less than a cultural rev.
    (just a follow up question: does the AI actively follow the building-sequence of MC + forbidden palace? I did not witness this yet...)

Could you change the requirement for Observatory and forge to a 2-hex radius (just like Neuschwanstein and such...)
    Why does a forge need a mountain anyway? :confused:

I have a lot of fun with the new version... btw

4. ofu

ofu Chieftain

Thanks for the G&K version. Can we put the COURTHOUSE in the Classical Era like in G&K? So we can conquer earlier?

5. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Nicely done. :) As for the AI and the UN, while they're coded to go for certain victory types early on in the game, they don't reassess their choices based on current game situations. In other words, they're bad at "trying" to win. :crazyeye:

No problems with the perfect world mapscript then I take it? Some people had reported they couldn't get it to work properly.

Couldn't say for sure - useful either way though. :)

Hmm - you may be right. It's a powerful building so I didn't want it to be too easy to build, but I'll look into decreasing the cost by a % in the next update. As for the AI, they do follow the building sequence properly and don't get any additional bonuses in this regard.

I might try that with the Observatory - G+K's added a lot of new code that tweaks what we're able to do, so to avoid tool-tip confusion, this might make sense to do. As for the Forge needing a mountain, from a gameplay perspective, I didn't want players to be able to build them in every city early one, as they'd just allow you to speed through the builds in the ancient/classical era - so this offers up some diversity and makes building next to mountains more desirable besides the mere Observatory bonus (and there's also the Tatara - the Japanese Forge UB that doesn't require a mountain).

I realize it's difficult right now to take cities early on in the game - especially coming from vanilla. This is mainly to offset the tendency of the AI to take early cities from one another (which is the main cause of the runaway AI). Having said that, moving the Courthouse earlier in the tree is a change I could see happening, as the AI generally doesn't build them all that often to begin with, and having them earlier at least presents some more strategic options for the human player. Good suggestion - now just need to reorganize some techs/buildings. :)

6. Balerune

Balerune Prince

I've played a few games with PW3 but not all my games. (This last time I had everything subscribed thru the steam workshop.) There was a curious thing that happened which I posted and I think it was a PW map:

"Land stealing is back?
    It was rather a surprise. Mongolia used it 3 times in a row on me taking all my oil.
    I got a great artist in another game but it didn't push borders. Which unit pushes borders?"

but I didn't save that game unfortunately.

Was that a bug or is there a unit that culture bombs?

7. Balerune

Balerune Prince

Tried Theodora, Immortal, PW3; UN again but it had a few twists and turns. Had @ 53 cities with same religion as me (Christianity) which seemed to insure that I wouldn't get attacked as I had no real army.

I thought I would have won 20 turns earlier but the AI seems to do well with spies, sending them to rig elections but of course they still don't spend gold on CS as the leader Russia had @ 2X my gold. If Russia (about half their cities had the same religion as me) had warred I would have lost miserably so it seems that faith acts better to cement relations than diplomacy does.

As far as cultural revolutions go sometimes I have 1-2 more than other civs but in this game I had a 1 or 2 less so I think it seems to be well balanced.

If Firaxis would fix diplomacy the game would be much better. I also miss the open borders brings commerce (gold) that civ 4 had as there seems to be no reason for open borders in this game unless you are at war.

:)

8. Wallabulla

Wallabulla Warlord

Great to play this mod again!!
    Two questions:

1: Is it possible to make it so that CivWillard can work in the game?
    2: Can you make so CsebMod - Extended Plot MouseOver Popup can work, or integrate it into the mod?

9. Ironrod

Ironrod Chieftain

I think the policy that increases garrisoned city defenses by 200% is overpowered. Suggest cutting that in half. It's nice when you're defending, to be sure.

10. Aerolight

Aerolight Chieftain

Hi markusbeutel,I found your mod so interesting ,so I want to translate it into Chinese in order to let more people get to know it.Would you mind that? Copyrights will be preserved well.

11. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

The Great General now pushes borders - a Firaxis change for G+K's I believe as I don't remember it being introduced in a patch.

It would be nice if they spent there gold more efficiently... but on the other hand, I'd rather they have a stockpile than be constantly broke. The difficult thing regarding gold, is that the game scales so wildly across quick/normal/epic/marathon that it's really tough to balance.

Good to hear about CR's being balanced - I've found that as well in my games. The AI should be far more competitive for wonders compared to vanilla G+K's where certain wonders hardly have any "pull" from the AI at all, (in terms of their flavors), so players will find they are able to build the same wonders every single game, while in Nights, the AI does value some more than others, but even those lower on the list - they'll still pursue them over building an Amphitheater, for example, or some other less efficient avenue for their hammers.

Possibly... Have either of those 2 been updated for G+K's?

Agreed - this'll most likely be halved in the next update.

Sounds great it you're up for it - there'll be a lot text to translate. :) Just make sure to check the update notes whenever I release a new version, as existing text still changes from time to time - especially for buildings and policies.

12. Balerune

Balerune Prince

I was thinking of turning off the diplomatic victory as I tend to play by getting the CS on my side as a defensive buffer as well as for the resources they give and if I am able to (which is not always) then the UN victory becomes almost a lock. (I got another one as Dutch, PW3, immortal.)

But before I try a few games this way I thought I'd ask if there is any way presently to get the AI to go after CS before they build the UN as they do compete but seem to become more rabid after the UN is built? (But I also fear that this might unbalance a lot of other things 'cause I remember in previous patches they could really lock them up early fast but I don't know if this would hold over with the new CS mission system.) OR turn down the strength of Republic which I have been using to keep the CS in line.

:)

PS -- Don't want to be pushy but is there an update coming re: the riflemen promotions?

13. black213

black213 Emperor

I don't like how both France and Rome have the "buildings that are in the capital are cheaper to build in other cities" ability, it certainly takes some of the uniqueness from NiGHTS away. And I feel that France's ability is overall better than Rome's, 10% vs 20% isn't that major of a difference.

14. Wallabulla

Wallabulla Warlord

CivWillard isn't updated as of yet, but a new version should be in the works. The old version works for the most part, but things like faith isn't there. But it's still a lot better than nothing :).
    CsebMod I'm unsure about, it's atleast a part of the lates unofficial mod from Thal. Perhaps you would be allowed by him to use this new code?

I also have a problem with the diplomacy screen. On the top bar there I get "key_text_trade", and the city-states doesn't show. I have deleted cache etc. as stated on the download page. I have subscribed to other mods, so they get downloaded, but I don't activate them. Could they still affect this mod?

Will try to unsubscribe all mods except for this and see if that helps..

thanks again, having loads of fun with your mod :)

15. PawelS

PawelS Ancient Druid

I'm really enjoying NiGHTS, I think it's the best Civ5 mod so far, especially the happiness mechanic is much better than in the base game. But there is one thing that feels really unbalanced: there is a policy in the Tradition tree that gives free maintenance for garrisoned units (which is OK), and +200% (!) ranged strength for cities when there is a unit in them. This is really too much, with it the attacks of my cities usually inflict 90-100 damage to enemy units. I think +50% would be a more viable bonus.

16. Balerune

Balerune Prince

I have the same problem but I was running infoaddict so it doesn't bother me as much. I can check there or the drop down from the top right which lists the CS still works but it is a bug.

17. Wallabulla

Wallabulla Warlord

ok, so then it's not just me :)

18. Ironrod

Ironrod Chieftain

When I tried to start a new game tonight the Steam Workshop decided that NiGHTS needed to be updated, then choked after starting the download. I bailed out of the game. Great difficulties ensued when the mod updater no longer recognized NiGHTS. Eventually I unsubscribed/resubscribed, deleted my cache and moduserdata and all that rigamarole, and launched a new game with the Perfectworld mod also enabled.

Now I cannot select the top-level policy in any branch. Each one of them says that Despotism is required. Despotism, of course, is the default starting tech. Policies beneath that top-level choice are being unlocked properly as the techs are researched.

So my question is: Was there indeed a new version or was Steam on drugs? Is this new policy bug a NiGHTS problem, an incompatibility with Perfect World (which is new to me), or is there something wrong with my install? And if it's my problem, where can I download the mod to reinstall it manually, bypassing the Workshop routine?

19. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

I could speed up the rate at which they go for CS, but I don't want to push this too much as they already pursue them more aggressively than in vanilla - I could potentially have Republic be a more desirable AI option, though - to help balance things out in their favor a bit.

Hmm - what exactly needs to be done about the riflemen promotions again? Brains become a bit waterlogged with the new school semester and how textbooks and tuition have made me poor again... :crazyeye:

Good point - some of the traits were rushed to get the expansion version of the mod released - I'll come up with something so that these 2, (and any other Civ's that share traits) are unique again.

Not sure why this is happening, but I'll try and track down the problem - there's so many text/tool-tip changes in the mod, that there's a chance I tweaked this particular one at some point and it's now buried somewhere where I haven't noticed and/or updated it.

Thanks PawalS - I totally agree with you here, and this will indeed be reduced to either 50 or 100% in the next update.

I saw that there were patch note released, but the patch itself hasn't been released, so there shouldn't be any issues, (I haven't released a new version yet - although I should have a new version out sometime over the week or so).

If the workshop version is acting up for some reason (it shouldn't be), make sure you manually check your Civ V MODS folder, delete everything in there, and try resubscribing. If you still have issues, download the version here on CivFanatics (in the link below) and put that file in your MODS folder.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20051

Anyone else having any issues?

20. technomancer

technomancer Chieftain

I can confirm this as well.
    The CS diplomacy screen is completely messed up only showing the first encountered CS (as hostile btw).
    No additional mods activated.