NiGHTS: General Discussion

That mid-game technology snowball is frustrating. I typically lead until around 1500 AD, give or take 100 years (playing on Marathon)...and then at least one AI rockets ahead, vacuuming up all the wonders as it goes. By the time I hit the modern era, I'm behind. If my own civ is in a position to emphasize science, I can still remain competitive. If I have to devote my resources to war or economics instead, I'm quickly outclassed.

Here's something weird. Beginning with the last patch, every time I start the game and click Mods - Continue, all of my mods (including G&K itself) re-download and re-install themselves. It only takes a few seconds so it's really just an annoyance, but it happens every...single...time.

When I went to Steam and did the file integrity check, Steam found 2 invalid files and reacquired them. My next game started up without reinstalling all the mods again. But the very next time I played the same behavior was back again. Is everybody else's startup routine behaving the same way, or is it just me?

I'm playing G+K from the app store on a mac, I've done everything you are supposed to, commented out the mod commands. So I have the mod screen on my home screen, download the files into the mod folder and activate them in the game. Nothing works, I've tried restarting the game a bunch, deleted the cache and the other folder in the instructions here, but it doesn't change anything.

Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else having this problem? What else should I do?

Werttrew wrote: 2) This is an odd bug, but sometimes in the city screen I can't click my mouse on any build options. If I save and reload, however, it works fine.

I have the same problem. It occurs when you open a puppet city to view. Immediately all your other cities are treated like puppets and you cannot get any response in the city screen. Reloading seems to reestablish normality, but can be a pain. In my current game, I opened a puppet city (after doing all my production changes elsewhere) and hit "annex" whereafter my "annexed" city permanently froze in the puppet mode with no response in the city screen, preventing me from building a courthouse. It remains frozen in subsequent turns.

The late-game runaway AI is becoming very frustrating, game after game. Think I might play a game of vanilla G&K to see if it's just a NiGHTS problem or if it's a Firaxis problem.

Fun mod but I have one minor issue (sorry if brought up before) but it is really hard to determine the three different states of the FIRST sub policy of any of the social policies (that same Greek/Roman marble statue head). They almost always looks dimmed out to me even when selectable or already selected, unlike all of the other policy icons.

Oh, I also have some minor issues with the "Hunting" tech. While I think it really works game wise as a research step and bundle of improvements, does it make sense to call it. Heck, it isn't even the tech that gives you camps. Lastly, am I to assume that Hunter obsoletes Scouts by granting the Scout movement as a possible promotion to all land units or does this really mean getting the tech removes that useful ability with no possible way to regain until the Explorers are developed?

I have been unable to re load this mod since the latest "fix" from the powers that be came out, I think late november. I have been able to load and unload other mods (as a test to see if it was me).
I even tried the vanilla version and was able to subscribe. For some reason, it allows me to subscribe but never shows up in the mods selection screen.
If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. This is a great mod, so much so that I refuse to play unless I can have all the nights goodies.

I have been unable to re load this mod since the latest "fix" from the powers that be came out, I think late november. I have been able to load and unload other mods (as a test to see if it was me).
I even tried the vanilla version and was able to subscribe. For some reason, it allows me to subscribe but never shows up in the mods selection screen.
If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. This is a great mod, so much so that I refuse to play unless I can have all the nights goodies.

Manually check your MODS folder for Civ and delete everything in there - then try resubscribing.

Sorry for the lengthy absence everyone - School's kept me pretty busy, but my last exam is this evening, and then I have a 2 week break between semesters, so I should get an updated version released sometime during that span that addresses any bugs from the latest few patches.

I'll also get to all the posts/questions that I've missed, both here and on the SteamWorkshop, over the next few days. :)

Two problems, one game-breaking --- sorry if they've already been reported. Am playing on a 2009 MacBook Pro and no mods other than Civ Nights, which I just downloaded.

1. I can't choose construction projects for my cities, making it impossible to end my first turn. At first, this seemed to be because I began without any technologies, including Agriculture, and didn't have any buildings to build --- but then I tried verifying the game cache with Steam and starting a new game, and I began with Agriculture but still could not choose a construction project.

2. Technology names are displaying incorrectly, all beginning with a string that is something like "TXT_KEY_TECH_[actual name]". This makes the tech tree harder to read but is manageable.

As I said, I tried verifying the cache, but to little avail. Are these known problems I can fix? If not, any chance of a bug fix for a Mac issue? I am really eager to try Civ Nights; it sounds like a great take on Civ V.

--

EDIT: I should also note that I'm playing with G&K and (I think) all DLC enabled --- I got G&K on a Steam sale about a month ago and only got around to reinstalling Civ V on my computer last week; thus, I'm fairly sure my copy of Civ V is as up-to-date as it can be on a Mac.

I have an issue with the tech tree where I get the full file name too: TXT_KEY_TECH_....

Also my policy screen is just 5 large colour blocks

Like everyone is saying, AI tech is crazy right now. Some one just finished Brandenburg gate, getting the tech would be 53 turns out for me, and they are finishing a wonder for it. Are they some how getting the old research agreement bonus's that players were getting a few patches ago?

Was it always a requirement to have a world wonder to have a cultural revolution? This really exasperates the AI lead, because on harder difficulties you are not getting a wonder until at least the middle of the game.

I have changed my play style to be much more aggressive in the early to mid game, while I still have my tech edge (or at least parity), because the game usually turns hopeless once the AI snowballs. But that only works on maps where there's no insulated AI with good resources.

This is a longshot, but I'll toss it out there anyway: It has bothered me from the start that there are no diplomatic penalties for using nukes. Any chance NiGHTS could address that? It's especially troublesome when the AI is building nuclear missiles before I can even start the Manhattan Project.

If you can't tone down nuclear war, maybe you could at least introduce a defensive unit or building or wonder (like Patriot missiles or a Reaganesque Star Wars shield)...although that doesn't help much if the AI is way out in front.

erithrius, have you went through the installation instructions step by step in the OP? Also have any other mods going? Verified game cache?

Erithus:

I had the same problem after "Next" until I realized that at the top of the subsequent box is a "single player" button that you have to hit. Then you can choose between "setup game" or "load game".

Thanks guys, that was it. But now I'm getting another problem where my games seem to crash on exactly the same turn. One game it crashed on turn 42, another game I made it to turn 138, but both those games are now unplayable :/. Any ideas?

Top Bottom