NiGHTS: General Discussion

Honestly I loathe the inclusion of random events. It adds a debilitating level of uncontrolled variables on high level play, which honestly should be avoided considering the depth and breadth of the new systems you are implementing.

On some levels I agree - in either case, they won't initially be in v9 as there will be enough balance fixes to take care of at that point.

They're also heavily nerfed currently in 8.9, with some of the more "random" random events have been completely removed - (natural disasters that kill population).

Honestly I loathe the inclusion of random events. It adds a debilitating level of uncontrolled variables on high level play, which honestly should be avoided considering the depth and breadth of the new systems you are implementing.

I beg to differ ... I think random events add an exciting dimension to the game. In fact, I wish many core elements of the game were actually built in variable fashion around the expected value, whether that be the number of turns until the tech you're researching is discovered, the peak number of resources a given resource granted (i.e. oil might give you 2 or it might give you 7 once your well is built), improved resources should decrease randomly by one unit every approximate x turns, resources should randomly appear once in a while, random diseases should appear every once in a while and strike city populations and weaken units' health ever so slightly spreading domestically and foreign via trade routes and open borders unless/until you discover the tech to cure it, etc., etc., etc.

I agree. I really do like random events and I hope they will be included in future updates.

They'll be back for sure - just not in the initial beta, as I'll want to be getting lots of balance feedback without them potentially muddying the waters.

Personally, I like random events - but having said that, I think they are more suited to CIV V as opposed to CIV IV. CIV IV is pretty micro-intensive on the higher difficulty levels and random events can be quite frustrating on those levels when they still occur despite playing at an optimal pace. In CIV V, there's not as much micro on a turn to turn basis, and I don't think random events have as much of a negative or positive effect in the long run because of that, (and because of the power of gold in CIV V to fix any of your mistakes).

That being said, I think random events would work better if there was some sort of player involvement that contributes to them occurring in the first place. Something along the lines of each nuclear plant you build having a small percentage of breaking down each turn, and this process being accelerated by whether or not you have any fail-safes in place. But something like this would require some sort of health/corruption/safety mechanic - and that's probably asking too much based on the current vanilla build of CIV V.

I also hope they return, but i hated the BTS version because it gave no options, its a forced event without response. i liked FFH Events, because most of the time, you could have an interaction with it.

Also, even though i am NOT a modder and don't know ANYTHING about mods it just irks me that there is no earth map - so i am making a CIVILIZATIONIGHTS MAP Pack.

As of right now, i am working on 90 x 54, 90 x 56, 90 x 58, 84 x 52, and 100 x 64.

Once i have finished making parts of the world attractive, i will begin to add in TSL and resources.

So far, i merely have the shaping done, but i took those sizes and "expanded" europe, africa, arabia, asia, mexico, and america. in fact, i have done a LOT of mapping work and so far few results, i hope to finish this some time and when/if i do this - i will post it.

Step 2 will be to review each civ, i dont want to change anything per se, but i might add in some civ's from civ pack mods.

I am also thinking about a small reskin on polynesia - maybe even if i only change names because Indonesia is actually a playable base and i think New Guinea or Java might be a better bet than hawaii. Yes yes, polynesia isn't Indonesia - i know, but im trying to make a playable map.

Once i have some good map bases down i will submit them and worry about any "Civ Changes" later. The first set will include random starts in correct locations - the second set will hardset starts for PLAYERS but city states will be random. well, they will be "placed" but as "random city state".

So far i am only in the earliest parts of the maps. If there are any other sizes i should work on, let me know and i will try to make them.

I also hope they return, but i hated the BTS version because it gave no options, its a forced event without response. i liked FFH Events, because most of the time, you could have an interaction with it.

Also, even though i am NOT a modder and don't know ANYTHING about mods it just irks me that there is no earth map - so i am making a CIVILIZATIONIGHTS MAP Pack.

As of right now, i am working on 90 x 54, 90 x 56, 90 x 58, 84 x 52, and 100 x 64.

Once i have finished making parts of the world attractive, i will begin to add in TSL and resources.

So far, i merely have the shaping done, but i took those sizes and "expanded" europe, africa, arabia, asia, mexico, and america. in fact, i have done a LOT of mapping work and so far few results, i hope to finish this some time and when/if i do this - i will post it.

Step 2 will be to review each civ, i dont want to change anything per se, but i might add in some civ's from civ pack mods.

I am also thinking about a small reskin on polynesia - maybe even if i only change names because Indonesia is actually a playable base and i think New Guinea or Java might be a better bet than hawaii. Yes yes, polynesia isn't Indonesia - i know, but im trying to make a playable map.

Once i have some good map bases down i will submit them and worry about any "Civ Changes" later. The first set will include random starts in correct locations - the second set will hardset starts for PLAYERS but city states will be random. well, they will be "placed" but as "random city state".

So far i am only in the earliest parts of the maps. If there are any other sizes i should work on, let me know and i will try to make them.

That sounds great thadian - eventually I had been planning on working on maps and/or possibly scenarios for the mod, so I'm looking forward to what you can come up with.

V9 Update: Release Date - August 14th :)

V9 is coming out 5 days after my 32nd birthday on the 9th so i look forward to it. i have been working on maps to no end, trying to get reasonable and uniform sizes. If i am able to get a good 2-3 map sizes posted so you can edit as needed.

I will wait for things like adding in civ's until i actually have maps loaded - then i can look at the "maps needs" and think about weather i want to make scenario maps (NIGHTS for modern earth, NIGHTS for fedual japan, NIGHTS for 3 Kingdoms of China) but this will have to wait until i learn more about how to meddle with those elements.

i will silence myself before i get too ambitous.

V9 Update: Release Date - August 14th :)

Woo, hoo! That gives me two weeks to bank up some sleep and butter up to my wife before my journey into civ word!

Too bad Firaxis couldn't do this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356334

But, I'd settle for a map that could just wraps North-South besides just East-West! (You could in Civ IV)

I hate to defer any attention from the mod itself but i would like some feedback from players of this mod on what map sizes you want.

this way i can try to make suitable maps that expand the usable areas of the world and minimize dead zones.

I mostly play Huge but would be grateful for Gigant and Gigantic ( continents ). I feel that gives me more space to investigate and play and more use for a navy

Here's a more recent image of the layout for the Ancient Era - the Science icon's in front of some of the Tech's signify that that specific tech requires only one of the two Tech's leading into it. The icon disappears if the Tech is clicked, and it then displays the proper amount of turns required to research it as normal.

Above all, there's more options and paths to choose from. I'll be posting more screenshots over the next couple of weeks leading up to the release.

Attachments

• Ancient.jpg
    Ancient.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 220
It amazes me what you've managed to do with your mod and what you'll be giving us in a couple of weeks!

I reckon even if 2K/Firaxis stopped working on CivWorld and concentrated solely on Civ 5, they still couldn't come up with anything near what you've managed to accomplish single-handedly!

It makes you wonder what they do all day!

It amazes me what you've managed to do with your mod and what you'll be giving us in a couple of weeks!

I reckon even if 2K/Firaxis stopped working on CivWorld and concentrated solely on Civ 5, they still couldn't come up with anything near what you've managed to accomplish single-handedly!

It makes you wonder what they do all day!

Angry birds:crazyeye:

I hate to defer any attention from the mod itself but i would like some feedback from players of this mod on what map sizes you want.

this way i can try to make suitable maps that expand the usable areas of the world and minimize dead zones.

I usually play on standard size, seems that all who have answered play on different map sizes...

Top Bottom