1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NiGHTS: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Civilization NiGHTS' started by markusbeutel, Nov 22, 2010.

1. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

The City disappearing bug occurs after specific buildings are built, (buildings that have some art info wrongly declared), which is why this problem generally occurs after 30-40 turns. It will be fixed in the update. You also must be playing on a large resolution monitor. :) I've moved erroneous artwork from the vanilla game to the right instead of outright deleting some of it to help with stability. I'll move these even further off the screen in the update.

Delete the latest version of NiGHTS/cache folder/contents of ModUserData when the update is released and then verify your files through Steam.

Frigates always needed Iron so I haven't changed this - but I have extended the lifespan of the Caravel/Turtle Ship to coincide with the Frigate.

The City-State modifier will be returned to a negative modifier now that Firaxis has added more positive modifiers, (and what with diplomacy now being more stable).

Terrace Farms/ Moai Stats will be implemented into the starting techs of the Polynesian in the update.

Correct. :) I have, however, included alternate versions of the Wonders that came with the Ancient Wonders DLC.

I'm afraid this is probably due to Custom Notifications as I include a modded version of a similar file in the mod. Try uninstalling it, deleting your cache/contents of ModUserData folder, and verifying your files through Steam. Infoaddict is perfectly compatible.

Hmm - I haven't done anything to Settlers - was this not how they behaved in vanilla CIV V? As for the crashes, deleting the cache/contents of the ModUserData folder, and verifying through Steam usually helps. Also, are you using any other mods? NiGHTS modifies a ridiculous amount of files, especially UI files, so any other UI mods that you have running will cause problems.

As for not seeing the traits - this is done on purpose for now until I finish custom load screens for Civ's - it just makes my job easier as I constantly edit/re-edit while still squashing bugs. If you hit esc during the game and hover over your leader icon on the menu screen, it will tell you your active traits.

This is happening because I've remade every Tech that you see in the game. This is to avoid any future conflicts with patches/expansions, as even the slightest alteration to the Tech Tree will cause crashes based on the amount of changes that have gone into it. This means that any additional Civ's you play with won't recognize the new starting Tech's, and seeing that the original Agriculture Tech has been disabled, they'll start the game with the bugs you've mentioned.

Even though these new custom Civ's would lack the Traits used in NiGHTS, if enough people want to use them, I could make it so they are at least playable when starting up a new game.

The Magna Carta is bugged at this point and will be given a new ability. I don't think Open Borders ever gave a relations boost - but unfortunately, if you're getting the -1 relationship hit even while having open borders, this is still accurate. Despite having Open Borders, the AI still doesn't like how close the borders are...

I've raised the hammer and maintenance cost on the Watchtower and Black Market - seeing as they are more situational buildings, I'm not too worried at this point, but if other people find they are too powerful early on as well, I could make them even harder to build, or just change their abilities all together.

I will also change the upgrade paths of Pikemen, Knights, Longswordsmen to Longswordsmen/Lancers/Musketmen. I was never a fan of some of these vanilla upgrade paths to begin with, and the extended Tech Tree is partially to blame for these number now being out of whack.

Working on the update now, will be out later tonight.

2. Nebu

Nebu Chieftain

"As for the crashes, deleting the cache/contents of the ModUserData folder, and verifying through Steam usually helps. Also, are you using any other mods? NiGHTS modifies a ridiculous amount of files, especially UI files, so any other UI mods that you have running will cause problems."

have the same problem with crashes.
    Terra, Epic, 10 Zivs, 8 CS. - around turn 150
    no other mods installed or used

i deleted the file in the folder "user\doc...\my games\civ...\ModUserData
    and verified through steam - right click\prop...\local files\verify ...
    i even used "defragment cache files"

but it still crashes when a load the game at the same turn.
    so if this was right ... it doesnt work for me :D

i wait for the patch. :goodjob:
    greetings from berlin

3. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

City States are building settlers.

4. lindanealmck

lindanealmck Chieftain

I have been playing most of the day with no crashes, which is amazing for a mod this complex. I started off somewhat lost (and destitute), but now I am dominating and rich (at Prince level). At standard size and speed, the game is very long, but very good. Amazing number of policies to choose from! Congratulations.

5. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Thanks Sneaks - will be included in the fix update.

Thanks for the compliments. :) When building this version I focused on taking measures to prevent crashes caused by future patches and updates, and I found it was pretty stable in my test games, (provided I didn't have other mods active).

Vanilla CIV V takes measures to actually speed up research via XML research boosts as you progress through the eras, while I've discarded that system and brought the research boosts to be 100% in line with buildings and units. I think the devs reasoning in doing this was to keep progression moving quickly through the eras so that troops wouldn't start piling up in between.

Having Unhappiness tied to Units helps mitigate this potential backlog of troops - because even if the AI over produces units, the unhappiness penalty of (-25)% strength and (-50)% growth/production (once you hit -20 Unhappiness) reigns them back in and brings world wide military build-ups down to a reasonable level.

As for difficulty levels, the AI focuses on early expansion instead of declaring early wars. This gets them off to a quick start, but with the sheer variety of tech and policy choices, a skilled player should be able to reign them in. The Happiness bonus you start the game with varies according to difficulty level, (along with AI bonuses), which make each progressive level an exceedingly difficult challenge - which was/is something I personally still find lacking in vanilla CIV V.

Thanks for playing, (and the feedback). :)

Patch Update: I'm still working on this and probably won't have it finished by tonight - but it will be uploaded sometime over the next couple of days. (I've isolated the problem XML file for the City graphic bug, but unfortunately it's got over 7000+ lines of code in it, so unless I get lucky tonight...)

6. filmay

filmay Chieftain

Hello, just wanted to post in my 2nd game with the ver. 9 mod, I have a crash every time after I end turn 84 (far as I can get, tried it 4 times now after I saved and even rebooted, sound goes dead a few seconds after the pointer changes and then no further response). No other mods are active.
    Deleted cache and ModUserData folders, follow by a steam cache verify as suggested here, did not help.

Otherwise mod seems to run fine, I like the feel of it so far... but damn difficult lol, the happiness system is just brutal, 1st game was as Songhai, but got happiness-capped after 3rd city (and could not even get relief from the luxury tiles I did have because I didn't have the forest/jungle removal techs needed.. and by the time I did the AI's had control, beating me to Oracle and a couple of other wonders.. and this was on Chieftain... ouch).

7. thio

thio Chieftain

I deleted cache and moduserdata before installing, no other mods installed.

And yes, till now i could always walk through others units with every unit. Well, rather lets say i never found this behaviour before, perhaps the situation never occured before now..

Or maybe it's something with the new patch.

edit: added save at turn 113

Attached Files:

8. jebst

jebst Chieftain

Very nice work. Smal adjust needed. Ex minimap dont follow the big map. Have needed some times to adjust to the new interface. Cool. Like what I see. Will comment when played more. No CTD.
    Map Huge continents, speed x3. Playing Vikings.

9. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

It can be challenging at times - especially in the early portion of the game when you're expanding/settling your Empire. I've made the AI far more likely to act as a sound trading partner, so if you're hurting for Happiness, that's a good place to start. I'd also recommend any of the Charismatic leaders that get additional Happiness from citizens if you're still have trouble. Happiness has been adjusted across all difficulty levels so it doesn't get any easier. :)

That's possible - I've had a few weird quirks pop up since the patch - like the turn ending on me when I still have units left to move, etc. Apparently the dev's have verified a few of these and I'd expect a small hotfix to be released within the next week or so. At that point, if this anomaly is still happening, I'll see if it's something on my end.

The next update should reign in most of the bugs that have been reported so far. I haven't come across the minimap bug, (and haven't done anything to modify it either), but I'll look into this. Has anyone else experienced something along these lines?

Good to hear you're not having any CTD's as a few of them have been reported. Seeing as the City graphic bug is universal for everyone, I'm pretty sure it's playing a role in these crashes. Somewhere in my XML I've defined some incorrect art definitions, and whenever a building gets built in a city that lacks these appropriate definitions, the graphic disappears - and this may be causing the fixed crashes.

10. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

How are people finding the difficulty levels overall? I've scaled them to give initial Happiness starting levels of +45/+40/+35/+30/+25/+20/+15/+10. Needless to say Emperor -> Deity will be very challenging.

I felt this challenge was needed, however, taking into account the AI's inability to wage war as effectively as a human player. Combined with smart Tech/Policy choices, it is possible to win on higher levels - especially considering the AI are less schizophrenic by a country mile. As a general rule, I've coded them so that anytime you get up to (-5), they will probably either Denounce you, (if they're along the lines of a Ghandi/Isabella), or declare war, (Askia/Montezuma/Oda) - with the likelihood of this increasing depending on the proximity of your borders.

Overall I'd say the difficulty is closer in line with CIV IV at the moment - but I could make it easier if people are so inclined. :)

11. thio

thio Chieftain

Since you said it would be more difficult i did my first game on difficulty 3, but that was still very easy (until it crashed..)

12. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Prince is usually a good challenge. The AI receives less bonuses on earlier levels - and for people that aren't coming from a CIV IV background and have only played CIV V, I think they'll find it more difficult overall as well, (although the friendlier AI balances things out to some degree based on which specific AI appear any given game).

13. thio

thio Chieftain

Found another one: can't remove open borders from the left side of the trading screen once it is added.

14. Karantaner

Karantaner Warlord

The oil ressource icon does not show up after discovering the tech in the top bar - I think it is hidden behing the cultural revolution icon. and here is the next problem: the current active gov. should dissolve in 1 turn - but they didn't. I played now 20 turns and nothing is happening, no gov. are dissolved and no new process for cultural revolution is started.

Canon stays in the building queue even after artillery is available.
    Upgrade costs: I could upgrade some of my rifleman to infantery for 10 gold. But suddenly this price changed to 1110 gold. I'm confused because I saw this changing prices also with other units like pikeman to rifleman etc. Any ideas?

1 Factory needs 5 coal? That is quite expansive, I think.
    Literature tech: the picture for the National Theatre is a train ;)

So far, not one crash in my game!

15. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

I've actually noticed this in some of my vanilla CIV V games. It seems that if the AI offers you open borders, it can't be removed, and you have to either accept or reject the offer. Has anyone else noticed this? Either in the mod or in vanilla?

16. thio

thio Chieftain

New game crashed again at turn 116-117, no great engineer due this time, so it's probably not that.
    Also: I adopted the rationalism policy for +2 population in new cities, but cities still started at 1.

17. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

I'll move the FAQ button into the ? button and see if that solves the visibility issue. The Cultural Revolutions should work like a race - in that when one ends, points accumulate for all Civ's that have at least one Wonder, (represented by the purple gauge that starts to fill up), and then another Revolution begins for the leading point getter.

I've fixed the cannon bug - and I've altered upgrade paths which should mitigate some of the fluctuating costs, but I'll need more feedback on this.

As for the Factory, it's one of the more powerful buildings in the game, and having too many of them would be fairly overpowering since it bestows the Blitz promotion. :)

And I'll update the National Theatre icon as well - missed that one. :crazyeye:

18. Karantaner

Karantaner Warlord

I had the same problem: I offered China pearls for silk and added open borders for everbody. China rejected it. I then could remove the Open Border proposal from my side but not from China's. I had to go back to the main diplomatic screen and start again.

Never saw this in Vanilla (as far as I can remember!)

19. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Version 9.1 released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16650

This update consists of mainly bug fixes, and corrects the issue of the City graphics disappearing after a certain amount of turns. Load times between turns should also be a little bit quicker.

• Fixed Agriculture/Compass/Pottery tool-tips
    • Fixed bug where City graphics started to disappear after a certain amount of turns.
    • Fixed bug where City-States started to produce Settlers.
    • Fixed bug where Cannons weren't becoming obsolete with Artillery
    • Fixed National Theatre icon so it's no longer a train...
    • Altered the Magna Carta so it no longer repeals policies, (was giving too much back and couldn't be controlled).
    • Raised maintenance and hammer cost of Watchtowers and Black Markets to coincide with their powerful promotions.
    • Raised the hammer costs on Epic speed by +20%.
    • All transport units now have defense.
    • Caravel's become obsolete when Frigates become obsolete and not when Frigates become available, (in case you don't have Iron).
    • Fixed tool-tip/AI reaction discrepancies for number diplomacy.
    • Added Moai and Terrace Farms back into the game for anyone that's purchased the Inca/Polynesian DLC.

20. Karantaner

Karantaner Warlord

Just finished my first game, no crashes! Although I lost as I spent all my money on upgrading units and not bribing CS - so Rome had a go...

On the upgrading costs. It appears that each upgrade becomes more and more expansive - in most of the cases, but not in all. Here are my data:
    Upgrade Rifleman - Infantery: first: 1660 gold, next one: 2210, next one: 2760
    Upgrade Frigate - Destroyer: first 510, next 1010
    Upgrade Maori - Swordman: first 170, next 245
    Upgrade Swordman - Longswordman: first 335, next 570
    Upgrade Longswordman - Rifleman: first 460, next 885
    Upgrade Cannon - Artillery: first 210, next 780, next 1360, next 1680
    Upgrade Artillery - Rocket Artillery: first 10, next 10, next 10, next 535, next 1260, next 1985

The cultural revolution stopped working for me (for over 50 turns no event: no progress on a new revolution, no goverment dissolved) I think after I discoverd Biology (?), the oil icon appeard in the top bar after I researched combustion, so that's fine.