NiGHTS: General Discussion

I was wondering why you can play on while we can't, so i tried running on direct x 9 just to test around a bit, doesn't help either.

It is always crashing on the same tun, though i don't see exactly why.. maybe encountering a certain civilization? I wouldn't necessarily see that one. I'm out of ideas...

Added a 9.1 auto-save at turn 66 which crashes on turn 69 for me.

A 9.0 save i can't load was posted earlier.

Could it be because most of the people experiencing these crashes haven't brought the Vikings DLC? I know from past experience that if you set <EmbarkedtoFlatLandCost=true> on any civilization, embarked units will have the longboat model instead of the normal one. Apparently you need the DLC for that model, otherwise the game just poo poos it self and crashes. I tried adding <EmbarkedtoFlatLandCost=true> to all civs too in the past, and it would crash everytime I tried to embark something. I don't know if its just my game thats screwed up or something though, I should validate my files someday.

Could it be because most of the people experiencing these crashes haven't brought the Vikings DLC? I know from past experience that if you set <EmbarkedtoFlatLandCost=true> on any civilization, embarked units will have the longboat model instead of the normal one. Apparently you need the DLC for that model, otherwise the game just poo poos it self and crashes. I tried adding <EmbarkedtoFlatLandCost=true> to all civs too in the past, and it would crash everytime I tried to embark something. I don't know if its just my game thats screwed up or something though, I should validate my files someday.

!! I wasn't aware of this - I'll get a fix up asap.

!! I wasn't aware of this - I'll get a fix up asap.

I'm not 100% sure though if that's what causing the crashes though. I modified my version of NiGHTS to remove <EmbarkedtoFlatLandCosts> to all civs and I'll give it a run when I get the time (probably in a few hours). I'll report back then.

Also, I wonder if the same thing would happen with the Polynesian's <EmbarkedAllWater>? I know it uses different models too...

I'm not 100% sure though if that's what causing the crashes though. I modified my version of NiGHTS to remove <EmbarkedtoFlatLandCosts> to all civs and I'll give it a run when I get the time (probably in a few hours). I'll report back then.

Also, I wonder if the same thing would happen with the Polynesian's <EmbarkedAllWater>? I know it uses different models too...

I gave the <EmbarkedtoFlatLandCosts> to all Civ's - and it explains why I've been able to played bugged saves, and why crashes have been happening at fixed and random times. I've since disabled it - as well as the polynesia vanilla trait, so for people that have been having crash issues, this is good news. :)

9.2 Released with crash hotfix: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16650

Report back if this helps mitigate the crashes. You may have to start games over and loads may still crash as files have been altered.

The game freezes (and crashes) every time I embark a unit. And yes, I have deleted my cache/ModUserData, verified, defragged, etc, and am playing with no other mod active.

Also, the Rationalism tree allows me to beeline to caravels and trans-ocean travel ridiculously quickly (turn 46 on a standard/prince game). Not sure whether that is an issue though, as frigates require several other technologies. :)

Edit: Well nevermind then. Thank you Catastrophe90 for finding the problem, and thanks Markusbeutel for fixing it so promptly.

Attachments

• Broken2.Civ5Save
    574.9 KB · Views: 42
The game freezes (and crashes) every time I embark a unit. And yes, I have deleted my cache/ModUserData, verified, defragged, etc, and am playing with no other mod active.

Also, the Rationalism tree allows me to beeline to caravels and trans-ocean travel ridiculously quickly (turn 46 on a standard/prince game). Not sure whether that is an issue though, as frigates require several other technologies. :)

Check the just released hotfix 9.2. It may or may not fix a save, but should solve this problem crash for new games.

Version 9.1 released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16650

This update consists of mainly bug fixes, and corrects the issue of the City graphics disappearing after a certain amount of turns. Load times between turns should also be a little bit quicker.

• Fixed Agriculture/Compass/Pottery tool-tips
  • Fixed bug where City graphics started to disappear after a certain amount of turns.
  • Fixed bug where City-States started to produce Settlers.
  • Fixed bug where Cannons weren't becoming obsolete with Artillery
  • Fixed National Theatre icon so it's no longer a train...
  • Altered the Magna Carta so it no longer repeals policies, (was giving too much back and couldn't be controlled).
  • Raised maintenance and hammer cost of Watchtowers and Black Markets to coincide with their powerful promotions.
  • Raised the hammer costs on Epic speed by +20%.
  • All transport units now have defense.
  • Caravel's become obsolete when Frigates become obsolete and not when Frigates become available, (in case you don't have Iron).
  • Fixed tool-tip/AI reaction discrepancies for number diplomacy.
  • Added Moai and Terrace Farms back into the game for anyone that's purchased the Inca/Polynesian DLC.

Finally :goodjob:

As the graphics whore I am I couldnt play until this got fixed :eek:

Looks very sexy:king:

Finally :goodjob:

As the graphics whore I am I couldnt play until this got fixed :eek:

Looks very sexy:king:

It was an annoying bug to find and fix, but I'm glad it's out of the way. :)

Minor 9.2 Update
Ended up having an early day at work - so I've given 9.2 a small update. Some of you may have noticed that Puppeting a City actually causes more Unhappiness then Annexing a City. This is by design. Puppets already provide you the benefit of not contributing to increased Policy costs, and so the extra Unhappiness they generate is not unwarranted.

At the same time, I felt there should be some sort of reward for capturing/annexing an enemy City - and this comes into play by having annexed Cities contribute less Unhappiness than Puppeted Cities. It also provides you the future option of at any point annexing a Puppeted City for a quick and automatic Happiness boost. Jails/Courthouses function the same way as Courthouses in Vanilla CIV V.

The popup tool-tip that occurs after you defeat an enemy City and are presented with the Raze/Puppet/Annex options now correctly reflects this change. This shouldn't have an impact on saved games, (but don't quote me on that :)). The homepage for the mod now includes this information as well.

Did I turn something off by mistake or install incorrectly? -- I can't find any city states?

Did I turn something off by mistake or install incorrectly? -- I can't find any city states?

Damn when you say it, my large cont plus map dosent seem to have any city states either, and ive done a good portion of exploring.

Also at turn 260 approx on epic speed in medieval age, im in 2nd, someone freakin built sydney opera house. I might be mistaken but im pretty sure it aint that old :lol:

Still NO CRASHES. I got all DLC btw, not the wonders.

And why do the AI still send settlers out on their own , its just too tempting to take em, and suddenly all starts calling me warmonger :sad:

BTW 8hrs of CiV today.....yay my head spins like hell

Damn when you say it, my large cont plus map dosent seem to have any city states either, and ive done a good portion of exploring.

Also at turn 260 approx on epic speed in medieval age, im in 2nd, someone freakin built sydney opera house. I might be mistaken but im pretty sure it aint that old :lol:

Still NO CRASHES. I got all DLC btw, not the wonders.

And why do the AI still send settlers out on their own , its just too tempting to take em, and suddenly all starts calling me warmonger :sad:

BTW 8hrs of CiV today.....yay my head spins like hell

Minor 9.2 Update: Part 2
Sorry about the City-States guys - fixed in a small update - still listed as 9.2.
The AI and their settler movement choices... something that can't be fixed so easily. :)

As for crashes, I think the game should be pretty stable from now on after the last couple of updates. And the Sydney Opera House isn't actually in the build queue as I didn't find adequate room for it on the Tech Tree, (but it'll get patched in somewhere, soon), so no one was supposed to be able to build it.

What happened here is that I've been giving the Inca/Polynesians an extra hidden tech that lets them build their unique improvements, and forgot that this was where I stashed away the Opera House - so one of them must have built it. This has also been fixed.

Sorry about that everyone. :crazyeye:

Whats wrong with AI city stats building settlers and expanding a lil?

Sounds like a piety neat feature

It would be - but I'd have to do more work to actually have the CS's start settling. The bug was that they were building Settlers, but weren't able to actually use them to settle.

If I did take this route - I'd first bring back Barb Cities, (in conjunction with the current camps).

Ok, after updating to ver. 9.2, while my previous saved game was now unloadable (DX11 error every time), I was able to start a new game, and got up to turn 118 with no fatal crashes..

A couple of strange glitches, like 1 trireme that ghosted out (and I could not even click on to remove the movement order, so it just got chewed up by barbarian boats in a couple of turns), but nothing too major.

But the BIG problem now with my new game.. is I hit the happiness wall.. HARD. At 5 cities I was capped hard, with no way out. All tiles were improved, the only 2 civs I had contact with had no luxuries to trade (course they had no problem buying my excess wine for 600+ each, but with the only happiness building available, Colosseum not even buildable by most of my cities due to the stone requirement, money was useless). Policy tree could not bail me out either (did the whole Rational tree).

Oh yea, and I was playing with a happiness civ, Catherine.. on ***Settler*** level. I understand the need to control ICS in Civ (or any 4X game), but this is too much. Even if I had nearby civs to invade so I can plunder some luxuries you can't build any army since units are happiness capped also... maybe some of you guys playing on small maps might not have a problem with 5-6 cities, but on large/5-6 civ maps that I normally play on? Yuck.

Granted I had no city-states to trade with due to that bug, but I wasn't developed enough too the point where I could buy luxuries from them anyways (i.e. having 3-4000+ gold to burn)

Maybe a happiness tutorial is in order for this mod... cause I just don't get it :-(

Ok, after updating to ver. 9.2, while my previous saved game was now unloadable (DX11 error every time), I was able to start a new game, and got up to turn 118 with no fatal crashes..

A couple of strange glitches, like 1 trireme that ghosted out (and I could not even click on to remove the movement order, so it just got chewed up by barbarian boats in a couple of turns), but nothing too major.

But the BIG problem now with my new game.. is I hit the happiness wall.. HARD. At 5 cities I was capped hard, with no way out. All tiles were improved, the only 2 civs I had contact with had no luxuries to trade (course they had no problem buying my excess wine for 600+ each, but with the only happiness building available, Colosseum not even buildable by most of my cities due to the stone requirement, money was useless). Policy tree could not bail me out either (did the whole Rational tree).

Oh yea, and I was playing with a happiness civ, Catherine.. on ***Settler*** level. I understand the need to control ICS in Civ (or any 4X game), but this is too much. Even if I had nearby civs to invade so I can plunder some luxuries you can't build any army since units are happiness capped also... maybe some of you guys playing on small maps might not have a problem with 5-6 cities, but on large/5-6 civ maps that I normally play on? Yuck.

Granted I had no city-states to trade with due to that bug, but I wasn't developed enough too the point where I could buy luxuries from them anyways (i.e. having 3-4000+ gold to burn)

Maybe a happiness tutorial is in order for this mod... cause I just don't get it :-(

Planning out a proper tech/policy path plays a much larger role in NiGHTS than in vanilla Civ. It is possible to do very well in regards to Happiness, but everything from City placement, to AI relationships must be done well - so the risk/reward is pretty high in that regard.

Good idea about a tutorial - I'll see what I can put together over the next few days. How have other people been tackling Happiness in the early portion of the game? Should there be a larger initial bonus?

Had similar happiness problem as filmay. 4 cities gave immediate 30 unhappiness and no way out. Had only 2 military units. Good news no CTD so far.

As for the hapiness thing, I didn't have any problem. However to get through it, I had to trade with other AI civ for luxury resources, (fast track to colosseum, lucky got a good number of stones), libraries, and invade the neighbouring nation.

As for the hapiness thing, I didn't have any problem. However to get through it, I had to trade with other AI civ for luxury resources, (fast track to colosseum, lucky got a good number of stones), libraries, and invade the neighbouring nation.

I agree that it is doable - but I'd like to even up the odds a bit at the start of games - as not having these early trading partners and/or stone, could lead to more runaway Civ issues. (Stone is already an added resource requirement for Walls as well, so removing it seems like a good option).

Had similar happiness problem as filmay. 4 cities gave immediate 30 unhappiness and no way out. Had only 2 military units. Good news no CTD so far.

So after thinking things through - I've decided to remove the Stone resource requirement for Colosseums. They were already part of a greater Happiness snowball effect involving - theatres/circus maximus/stadiums - which seemed unfair, as missing out on a Colosseum meant the future loss of additional Happiness. The Circus already plays this role - and I felt the early game could use the extra Happiness.

Minor 9.2 Update: Part 3
  • Removal of Stone resource requirement for Colosseums.
  • Opens up an additional +5 Happiness, (up to +5 as long as your population is at 5 in the City it's built in), and makes the Circus Maximus a more viable build, (at +10 unmodded Happiness).
  • These changes should alleviate some of the early expansion strain.
  • Minor tool-tip fixes.
  • Merged redundant files and reduced the size of the download to 8mb.

EDIT: I'll be attempting to reduce the size of the mod to around 5mb over the next few updates so that I can upload it to the Mod Browser, (the limit seems to be around 5mb at the moment), so don't be under the impression that features are being cut - this is merely the result of art files being merged. And it's super annoying.

In my only game thus far on ver 9.0, me as England on King (large,standard speed, turn 182) I had literally no problem involving happines in any regard. Ofcourse the -20 penalty for any new city is kind of a wall at first glance, but hey! Damn markus, you`ve made the AI`s so willing to trade luxury resources that it`s kind of no problem even without any stone (which happend to me), but the new circus fills that gap in my opinion beatufilly.

Well all above can be sumarized to, observe your teritory and capitalize on your assets, f.e. in my game I had 2 dyes in my capital and 1 fur, nearby I had few luxury resources here and there, but had one sweet spot for another 2 dyes and a another luxury which in this moment I forgot. This and focus on gettin calendar asap fueled my trade and instant boost to happines. That gave me enough to go on with REX filling my part of the world.

Few tips from my point of view:
- focus on growth of your cities = more science and more happines and in the future more production
- trade away what you can
- AI`s seemed peaceful (or I just had luck, had Al Rashid and Hiawatha in close proximity)
- in peace time there`s no real need for an army, I`ve just kept till around 1200 bc just my 4 garrisoned warriors as from that point I was out of "breathing space" so Arabia had to go :)
- and probably the major tip: Read the rules of the new system, think ahead and plan how You should adjust to it to make your play valid.

Idu

Top Bottom