1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NiGHTS: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Civilization NiGHTS' started by markusbeutel, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Nebu

Nebu Chieftain

im sorry, its working.
    maybe its better if the traits would be written directly under the special objects of the civ.
    there is enough space.
    maybe also abit more graphically

2. bigstuff777

bigstuff777 Chieftain

still on a 9.5 game large epic emperor (domination) legendary start

Can some one explain to me why when I ether build or buy a unit it keeps growing in cost? or just how it works?

If this is happening to the AI as well ...this would explain some things as I notice AI likes to build lots of pike men if they had 15 of them it would take like 20 25 terns with decent production to just build one.
    I only point this out cause by the time I have like 5 or 6 pike men they take like 15 terns. and like 7 in my capital. and it can build a wonder in 8-12 terns
    was this inflation of units ment to kinda keep unit spam down?
    cause i have some mix emotions about how this feels and have concern on how AI is reacting to this or do it effect AI at all?

right now i have 3 minutemen and it costs like 1259 production to get one and that =2700 gold . i just cant tell if i like this or not lol. if i understood it a lil better maybe.

3. jebst

jebst Chieftain

I would support a subforum

4. Xink

Xink King

Thanks for that :)

It is not the balance mods I was asking about but just the Unofficial patch, which can be used by itself, which corrects game bugs etc. I would doubt that it would be compatible but I do not know.

5. Chile

Chile Chieftain

short feedback to 9.6:

first game with Harun al-Rashid: King, epic, large at 1000 AD

AI is not settling as aggressive as before (this has given my quiet the headache in the earlier versions)

Wonders are not as easy to build (also a good thing in the long run in my opinion)

Diplomatic behavior is more reasonable. (Im trying to walk a tightrope by expanding and building fast at the expanse of units. In other words I have to appease a lot... it's working so far)

Everything is more expensive (maybe too expensive?) Upgrading is quiet the robbery, so is buying new tiles... which is necessary since cultural expansion is very low or my population is growing too fast... My treasury therefore is never full enough for a war-chest.

Overall 9.6 seems to be a huge step ... very entertaining four hours of play so far.

I think I am not just speaking for me,when praising your work in every single post... thank you!

6. Chile

Chile Chieftain

Me again...

I just had my first military encounter with Montezuma. After taking one city from him he offered me 2 of his remaining 3 cities all his gold an recourses....

This, i guess, is too much... ^^

7. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

I've pm'd the mods here and broached the subject with them. No reply yet, and I'm not sure what they look for when opening up sub forums, but they know I'm interested in taking this next step now. I also told them I'd probably hold off until I manage to get the mod uploaded to the Mod Browser, because at that point there will probably be an influx of traffic. (The size of the mod needs to be reduced in order for this to happen).

That's pretty amazing. :) On seeing this I may have to reduce the ability of that specific wonder, (Pont du Gard). Also, was this playthrough done on 9.5 or 9.6?

Starting position would play a role - that, and you may have had certain AI's in the game that weren't as inclined to go for wonders. This is generally the case the fewer AI's there are in in any given game. Having said that, I may yet still have to increase how competitive they are in going for wonders to avoid any game-breaking balance issues.

Diplomacy is something that's constantly being tweaked - I haven't delved into the strategic AI yet, (tactical combat, unit placement), but that's something I'd like to start tackling at some point as well. And good to hear how warring played out in your game - generally, the AI is now less likely to pursue pointless wars, (until it becomes a matter of neccessity).

Once the .dll comes out, that's most likely when more of the interesting diplomacy changes will come about.

I'm pretty sure the Thal's unofficial mod wouldn't work, or would cause bugs to crop up. But then again - if people like the UI changes that he's done, (the balance changes wouldn't apply), than this is something I might need to look into. Infoaddict currently works, (except for the literacy bug - which will be fixed soon).

I hadn't actually noticed that - I'll have this fixed in a future update so it requires the full 5 coal.

It's sort of a temporary fix right now while I re-tool that loading screen altogether. I'll have it more prominently displayed in future updates, as it kind of hides amongst the dawnofman text at the moment.

This has been in all versions of 9x - basically, each unit of the same type that you build/buy costs +25% more production and/or hammers. This is to ensure that armies are diverse and the latest/best units aren't always the best options - so it adds some layers of strategy there. The AI reacts appropriately to this as I've redone flavors/strategies for all units and economic decisions. It might take some getting used to at first...

Thanks for the feedback Chile - and glad you're enjoying the mod. :) Most of the things you've mentioned are a result of tweaks to 9.5. Each concurrent release should hopefully be providing more stable/enjoyable play-throughs. Money can still pile up, but not to the extent of earlier versions. If I can manage to keep the AI on an aggressive path towards wonders, this - and other areas of the game should feel more balanced, (as the amount of wonders and their abilities currently play a large role in how difficult the game plays out).

I did alter these post-war settlements a bit in 9.6, but I guided them towards favoring armistices. Having said that, the AI always did have a propensity to react foolishly in situations like this, so I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident or not. I'll keep tweaking this part of the game in future updates and try to limit the AI's peace offers to reasonable levels.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in the amount of gold/luxuries/cities the AI offers to placate a war against them? If so, are they making these offers quicker than normal?

8. Demege

Demege Chieftain

I'm currently playing 9.6 with Isabella on emperor and two times i went to war, two times the ai offered me everything he had, including the cities.

First time i attacked the Vikings who had 3 cities i killed most of his ground units i think only one spearman remained. (odly the ai built 4 galleys and this was on pangea). I took his 10 pop city, he had a small 4 pop citiy and his capital remeining and he wanted to give me everything he had for peace, in this case this was logical.

The second time I attacked Egypt who was already at war with Persia and lost one city to them and had 7 remaining. I killed 3 or 4 of his units and took one city with 10 pop. and on the next turn he made peace with persia, and on the next offered me his remaining 5 cities for peace. And this was really odd.

i'll be starting a new game now, becouse i had a bad starting position and i know i will lose. I accepted the Egypt offering of his remeining cities my happines went down to -40 and 3 major civs on the next turn denouced me fallowed by two war decs on the next turn.

I will post some thought on the new patch after the next playthroug.

:goodjob:

9. Sinchi Roca

Sinchi Roca Chieftain

When I crushed Alexander's main forces and took over one mid-size city (he owned 6 at that point) after he went to war he offered me two of his remaining five cities, with 2/5 of his total population I guess. He offered me all his total gold as well, GPT, luxury and strategic resources.
    I declined.

Later on, when he only had one last city he instead refused my peace offer (some miserable coins, about 10 GPT and Open Borders - laughable stuff). Since his annihilation was imminent, this decision was pretty weird, if not silly. Confused me a bit.

Also, I noticed that a Declaration Of Friendship appears to be almost impossible. Or are Open Borders required for this or something?

10. maqabee

maqabee Chieftain

a subforum is greatly needed.!

11. Wallabulla

Wallabulla Warlord

+1 for subforum!

Thanks alot for the updates, trying 9.6 now. Any chance that civwillard (citywillard) can be made to work? Also really liking the City State Diplomacy Mod, this is not working now. It worked with 8.9j, but I realise that this can be difficult to achieve as this mods ads buildings in the techtree..

12. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

I've noticed the AI handing over larger settlements as well when ending wars - values that I've changed in this regard have been changed back in hotfix 9.6b.

Wheels are in motion on this - I'll know more over the next 2-3 weeks at the earliest, but early reports are encouraging. :)

After I finish work on some on the broader balance issues, I'll start trying to make some of these mod components start playing nice. :)

13. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Version 9.6b Released to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=edit&id=16650

This hotfix restores some of the vanilla values regarding the AI ending wars. I had lowered some of the values required to generate an AI armistice, but that appears to have also altered the amount of stuff the AI gives - which kind of breaks the balance/fun.

Some other small changes include updating the Train Station to require 5 coal, (as specified in the tooltip), instead of 3 which it currently incorrectly required in 9.6.

Also, the odds of AI's offering/accepting DOF's has been slightly increased.

14. Karantaner

Karantaner Warlord

just finished my game (9.4) on King level - won a science victory, had no crashes or problems. Building my spaceship I noticed something strange: my capital moved away from Rome and I didn't know why. As I checked with my new capital I noticed that every National Wonder you build moves the capital to that city. Is this also the case in Civ vanila? Never noticed this feature - and I must say I do not like it. Your capital is moving around in your empire quite often...

15. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Prince

I tried to download the hotfix, but I got the denied acess message:

Fabiano79, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

16. Elrikk

Elrikk Chieftain

Had the same problem. I went to the first post and the download there let me in.

17. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Prince

18. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

I'd be open to changing this, as I can see it getting annoying in certain situations. It was more or less implemented this way to give a little bit more control regarding policies and governments - as to which cities would be affected by them and when.

I could change remove the switching - and perhaps give this ability to a specific wonder instead.

Not where I expected the next bug to show up. :)

Some great new artwork is coming down the pipeline - as I've said before, the current policies screen is/was a work-in-progress. I've just received the more or less finished version that will be included in the next update. :) Pictures coming soon.

19. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

Teaser of OrsonM's latest Policy Branch screen. :)

This will be included in the next update, (no date set yet).

Attached Files:

20. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

as of AI giving in cities...

In my 9.5 game I don't see this vs Monty, he doesn't want to accept peace and lose a city with that,
    nor does he offer me any...

And this is after losing 3 of his 6 cities, capital (!) included.