no AI civ growth

pinhead0079

Chieftain
hi as of late all my maps have had a very peculiar constant in them, none of the AI's are growing. what i mean is that they'll get around 3 cities and nothing. total stagnation. at first i thought that if i added all the expansionist Civs this would stop this anomaly but it hasn't. right now i've got tanks and infantry while they all have medieval and below. i suppose i could just blitzkrieg the map but there's no challenge in that, has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you combat it? i have gold edition and BNW if that helps.

no i'm on emperor. i thought of that too but it didnt pan out :( thanks for the idea though

Add Assyria, he will never stop founding cities

You could try playing on smaller maps with more civs. That way 3 cities for each civ will fill the map up. Or just play with Shaka. His expansion rating is in double digits.

Like everything else about the AI; this is flavor driven.

Also note that some of the high expansion flavor civs have very low science flavors; so perform even worse than the AIs building fewer cities (but more science buildings)

Were they close to each other and waging wars with each other? That might be the case.

I ran a simulation before where Assyria was forward-settled by Shaka. Since it was a small continent and there was a mountainous chokepoint (where Shaka settled), Ashurbanipal only managed to build 3 cities before amassing a large army. Shaka on the other hand managed to expand further because he got the bigger portion of the map.

At another game, Hiawatha, Napoleon, Suleiman and Shaka were competing in the same continent (with Venice and me as the other two contenders in the same continent). Once they found out there was no space, the only option left for them was to go to war and take each other's cities with France being the first one to fall. And actually, Venice, who despite not being able to build settlers, would also go to war to take some of their cities. The other continent was the same story.

i just tried all those suggestions ie. use Assyria and Shaka and different map types and didn't put just expansionist Civs. Assyria's breeding like rabbits and every things working great.
thanks for all your comments they really cleared things up.

Top Bottom