1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"No Barbarians" option

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by BarbariansNotAllowed, Jun 22, 2020.

1. BarbariansNotAllowed

BarbariansNotAllowed Chieftain

I have been selecting the "No Barbarians" option lately. In the last game I played as Montezuma, barbarians showed up out of nowhere with tanks and began attacking my cities. They had not shown up anywhere previously in the game and I have no idea where they came from. This was very late in the game in the Information Age. I would think this is a bug.

2. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Those aren't barbarians. They're partisans inflicted on you by an enemy spy in your neighborhood district.

Banazir864, Kjimmet and Uberfrog like this.
  3. BarbariansNotAllowed

So why is it when I cursor over the units it says "Barbarians"?

4. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

"No Barbarians" doesn't remove the Barbarian "faction" from the game, it just prevents barbarian encampments from spawning, which in turn prevents barbarians from spawning naturally or randomly. When spawned from the result of the Recruit Partisans mission they are spawned as a direct result of a player action and not randomly.

5. BarbariansNotAllowed

Oh. Thanks for the response.

6. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Yes it's a very annoying bug / oversight.

7. Dimplz

Dimplz Chieftain

Another annoying bug regarding "No Barbarians" is in most of the games I play (I play with No Barbarians), I will invariably have a Civ tell me off saying "How can you let those Barbarians run amok" in my lands. Uhhhh....Barbarians are turned off. There are no Barbarians in sight. It's turn 50 so there are no rebels. What are you talking about??? And that reprimand comes with a diplomacy hit as well!

BarbariansNotAllowed likes this.
  8. Equilin

Equilin Prince

I believe that agenda actually checks Barb camps cleared rather than actually getting rid of barbs.

Elhoim likes this.
  9. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

What? It is a simple naming issue...

Zaarin, lotrmith, Deggial and 2 others like this.
  10. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

I stopped building neighborhoods a long time ago. Generally speaking the espionage mechanics are more of an afterthought in Civ6, hopefully we'll get some changes during season pass.

Elhoim likes this.
  11. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I don't know if the creators would make free units pop out instead of barbarian units for the sake of no barbarians.

12. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

Agreed. Neighborhoods are a very niche build. The opportunity cost is not worth it simply because why do you need a massive city?

13. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Am I the only one that's never seen partisans spawn, despite building neighborhoods in almost every city just because I like big cities? Anyway, you do get some nice era score for the first one.

tedhebert likes this.
  14. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

I build them only as Congo. Other than that, perhaps once per 100 settles.

bbbt likes this.
  15. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Because I like having massive cities.

pokiehl likes this.
  16. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I build em for the eureka,I get partisans every now and then but it’s a good reason to have Boudicca around who by that time is no good as a general.

17. tedhebert

tedhebert King

I wouldn't say never, but pretty close to it anyways. And when it does happen, it's merely annoying; Within 3-4 rounds I've taken care of it and can repair.

I'm the same BTW... almost every city gets one... Why ? Because ! End of story ;-)

18. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I like neighborhoods and their food market. Larger populations in cities just help get you more of everything around it. I also like using neighborhoods in smaller cities to make them grow. If I don't get that many amenities then I wouldn't make more citizens just so they could live unhappy.

19. cain3456

cain3456 Prince

You must have some very good counterspies in those cities.:scan:

20. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

Another possibility for seeing barbs in a "no barbs" game that I noticed. When I got GS a week ago, I started fooling around with the worldbuilder. I've noticed that in addition to the civs and city-states spawning, many maps also spawn a free city. It's units, I believe, have the barb label. Along the same lines, cities that loyalty-flip are temporarily free cities, and their units may be labeled as barbarians.