No copper

kiwitt

Road to War Modder
Just being reading the manual and note that there is no copper.

I thought this would be one of the most important strategic resources, required for early weapons and later electronics and communications.

And what units should require it? Spearmen again and nothing else? Or should they add in axemen again just to justify having copper?

I'm going to assume that it just wasn't worth having for the sake of one unit and it wasn't worth adding units to justify adding one more resource.

Copper is fairly common afaik. Copper is actually "accidentally" mined when other minerals are mined (think of Gold for instance).

I would've thought Tin would've been a good early game strategic resource, as it was required to make bronze, and is, afaik, significantly rarer than Copper.

Maybe it's unreal to have civ without copper, but it wil certainly affect better on gameplay, because copper almost didn't have any effect. Yes, you got it earlier, but the very moment when you find first iron, copper has no use, so , I'm glad that it's removed from civ 5.

Copper (post iron) wasn't quite useless in Civ IV, as it gave double construction speed for Buddhist, Confucian, and Taoist "cathedrals" and for the Colossus and SoL wonders.

Perhaps my memory is poor, but there is a stone age and iron age. Is there a copper age?

And the Eiffel Tower, right?

Seeing how the new resource system works I find it a pity they removed copper. Every resource enables the construction of one unit. If you had copper, that would make strategic choices important. Do you use the iron or copper for the spearmen? If I save the iron I can use that later on on a knight.

Why would we want copper back? Right now there seems to be no real need for it since arguable spears can have stone tips too. Swords otoh... The system is fine as it is now.

Seeing how the new resource system works I find it a pity they removed copper. Every resource enables the construction of one unit. If you had copper, that would make strategic choices important. Do you use the iron or copper for the spearmen? If I save the iron I can use that later on on a knight.

I do not see that at all. If they made iron more common then you will still need to make those calls. Will I spend my second iron on a spearman... Also keep in mind you could disband the iron spearman, further reducing three relevance of that decision.

Perhaps my memory is poor, but there is a stone age and iron age. Is there a copper age?

Apparently so.

The Chalcolithic (Ancient Greek: χαλκός khalkos "copper" + Ancient Greek: λίθος lithos "stone") period or Copper Age, also known as the Eneolithic/Æneolithic (from Latin aeneus "of bronze"), is a phase in the development of human culture in which the use of early metal tools appeared alongside the use of stone tools.

The period is a transitional one outside of the traditional three-age system, and occurs between the Neolithic and Bronze Ages. It appears that copper was not widely exploited at first and that efforts in alloying it with tin and other metals began quite soon, making distinguishing the distinct Chalcolithic cultures and later periods difficult. The boundary between the Copper and Bronze Ages is indistinct, since alloys sputtered in and out of use due to the erratic supply of tin.

The Eiffel Tower was iron also. Well, "is" iron also.

SoL was made of copper, and it also sped up the Internet.

As for why there's no more copper In Civ5, there's no need for it. The way combat (at least in the early years) is set up there needs to be a decently string unit which requires no resources, so that you aren't forced to use warriors and scouts until gunpowder. This takes the form of Spears and Pikes in Civ5.

There needs to be a unit unrestricted by resources and adding copper to the game is pointless in that regard.

Top Bottom