No downloadable content

feelotraveller

Chieftain
Can I put in a request right at the start to exclude all downloadable content from Hall of Fame play.

Any addition (extra civilizations, for example) will make it easier to create particular types of games (aggressive game, high tech game, etc.) through the inclusion/exclusion of extra civilizations.

Can I put in a request right at the start to exclude all downloadable content from Hall of Fame play.

Any addition (extra civilizations, for example) will make it easier to create particular types of games (aggressive game, high tech game, etc.) through the inclusion/exclusion of extra civilizations.
I was thinking along those lines. At least, until they become generally available. (i.e. free. If they ever do.)

It may be impossible to prevent DLC civilizations from being your opponent and I don't want to always have to pre-select my opponents to avoid it.

It may be impossible to prevent DLC civilizations from being your opponent and I don't want to always have to pre-select my opponents to avoid it.

I sympathise with you concern. Perhaps the HOF Mod (Buffy or whatever...) could make sure they don't appear.

I don't want to be in the situation of not being able to compete fairly on a conquest victory (say) because everyone is creaming it with Babylon. Or not being truly competitive in a space race because some people have an extra 3 aggressive dlc civ's they can include on a huge map (without dlc you can only rule out 6 out of 18 civs, with an extra 3 you could rule out 9 of 21, etc.).

I think these are valid concerns, at least until (and if) we can all get dlc for free. At which point everything needs to update and the old scores/achievements need a line drawn under them and a new table drawn up.

I can see excluding DLC from Gauntlet play but if you want a true HOF you need to allow the inclusion of DLC into the tables. Allowing the tables to exclude DLC civs from a users view is a good option for those wanting to wait or not buy DLC. Simply banning DLC from the HOF makes it incomplete in my opinion. The other option is two purely seperate tables, but i don't like it from a logicstics standpoint.

The problem it would seem with having the MOD allow/disallow DLC civs is that it would have to be updated to exclude newer DLC everytime one is released. That's not a realistic option for modders and SGOTMs.

To be clear, DLC shouldn't be excluded. Make a "DLC Table" if you must but the HOF won't be complete in my eyes without dlc.

I can see excluding DLC from Gauntlet play but if you want a true HOF you need to allow the inclusion of DLC into the tables. Allowing the tables to exclude DLC civs from a users view is a good option for those wanting to wait or not buy DLC. Simply banning DLC from the HOF makes it incomplete in my opinion. The other option is two purely seperate tables, but i don't like it from a logicstics standpoint.

The problem it would seem with having the MOD allow/disallow DLC civs is that it would have to be updated to exclude newer DLC everytime one is released. That's not a realistic option for modders and SGOTMs.

To be clear, DLC shouldn't be excluded. Make a "DLC Table" if you must but the HOF won't be complete in my eyes without dlc.

I like this idea; I do not like the idea of disallowing DLCs.

I think disallowing Babylon until everyone can get it is ok.

Disallowing PLAYING AS a downloaded Civ is also ok.

But I think disallowing anyone who randoms up Babylon as an enemy is overly awkward and will just discourage HoF play for people with Babylon in their copy of Civ.

I see no problem with Babylon as an enemy. However it appears on the surface that the Babylon UA is fairly powerful when it comes to certain victory types (i.e. space). Until more people get a feel for the game we won't know this for a fact however. If people feel others have a benefit from using Babylon vs other civs it might be necessary to ban it.

Of course if we start getting a situation where we start seeing a variety of DLC "add-ons" to the game we will be in a bind with regards to the rules. Can't bar those with DLC from the HOF but can't have a situation where those without feel unable to compete for certain slots because some DLC wonder boosts culture (as a hypothetical as it unclear at this time how additional new content will be handled in the context of the game itself.)

It would be cumbersome, to say the least, to have a long-list of "Inca exclusions" because of the new business model.

I see no problem with Babylon as an enemy. However it appears on the surface that the Babylon UA is fairly powerful when it comes to certain victory types (i.e. space). Until more people get a feel for the game we won't know this for a fact however. If people feel others have a benefit from using Babylon vs other civs it might be necessary to ban it.

Exactly :goodjob:

Maybe there could be a list of optional DLC. I think it will ruin the concept of HOF to allow any DLC because you could just pick som DLC that is very unbalanced and make incredible good result.

However I do agree that some DLC would be nice to allow. For my self i almost never play without the balance mods. And also some of the mods that is purely graphic/UI improving could be allowed.

The problem is ofcause someone would have to approve all the DLC, and this could turn out to be pretty time consuming with the speed rate those mods are coming out...

Maybe there could be a list of optional DLC. I think it will ruin the concept of HOF to allow any DLC because you could just pick som DLC that is very unbalanced and make incredible good result.

However I do agree that some DLC would be nice to allow. For my self i almost never play without the balance mods. And also some of the mods that is purely graphic/UI improving could be allowed.

The problem is ofcause someone would have to approve all the DLC, and this could turn out to be pretty time consuming with the speed rate those mods are coming out...

they aren't talking about mods, they are talking about official DLC. So far the only thing on that list is the Babylon civilization.

As far as mods are concerned, anything not part of the eventual HOF mod will likely be banned.

they aren't talking about mods, they are talking about official DLC. So far the only thing on that list is the Babylon civilization.

As far as mods are concerned, anything not part of the eventual HOF mod will likely be banned.

Ohh well then i dont see how it is different than playing with Inca in Civ IV. Cant it just be made like that, where you have the option of seeing the HOF with or without result with that civ.

And then i seriously hope that the HOF mod will include some balance and graphic/UI improvement mods, in my opinion vanilla CIV V is so unbalanced that its unplayable.

Well, it looks like I won't be able to even try for the HoF in Civ 5, because I bought the Inca/Spain pack and I'm not going to go through and manually select my opponents. To me, manually selecting your opponents is like cheating, because you can stack the deck in your favor this way. I have yet to find a way of preventing the game from randomly selecting the DLC Civs for the AI slots.

You can temporary move/remove DLC files/folders out and get a pure game again (this works for me in offline mode at least).

Just move those folders (there's separate folder for each DLC somewhere in steamapps/<civ>/assets/DLC) when game is not running and next time you launch it civ knows nothing of those DLC. Put them back and they are in game again.
Mmm, i can't remember where i read about that trick first.. Ah, found: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=405686

Top Bottom