No futher patch

Tom183 said:
If they had a WORKING patch, it would have been released by now.
Agreed. It is now my belief that there will be no patch until the release of Warlords.
The fact that Betas have A patch, does not mean it is THE patch.
Also, I really don't think they're doing that much work on Warlords that it would prevent patch development. It would be very bad planning to not have most of the work done on the expansion before now.
2K's customer support sent me an e-mail stating that the patch was not their responsibility it was the developers, Firaxis has stated here that the patch was with 2K and out of their hands...so it appears no one is in charge of the patch. (kind of seems like a picture of two guys standing next to each other wearing "I'm with Stupid" t-shirts with the arrows pointing at each other)

wurm657 said:
... Firaxis has stated here that the patch was with 2K and out of their hands...so it appears no one is in charge of the patch. (kind of seems like a picture of two guys standing next to each other wearing "I'm with Stupid" t-shirts with the arrows pointing at each other)
It does not matter who is responsible for this. The net result is same. The customers are abandoned, ignored and suffering.. They betrayed our faith. They lied to us.
The "They" includes both of Firaxis and take 2. They both are responsible for this situation. So finger-point is meaningless to us, the customer who paid the money for it.
Should we have petition to urge them to release patch as promised?
Shoud we have a petition thread on this site or any public on-line petition site?
Should we send them ( Take 2 / Fraxis) swarms of e-mails to hurry it or any boycott on their product?

PS) If no one volunteers it, I will..
Then tell me about how to make and perform on-line petition or email petion or organize product boycott.. Any experience or advice welcomed...

zx1111 said:
It does not matter who is responsible for this. The net result is same. The customers are abandoned, ignored and suffering.. They betrayed our faith. They lied to us.

Drama queen.

Living in the world you do, seeing the things you see on the news, having sufficient resources to own a home and still have enough to pay for electricity, a computer and computer games - for you to turn round and claim that you're "suffering"... Well. You need to develop a little perspective.

You are not abandoned - how many times do you need to hear that. If you are being ignored it is because you are one of many thousands of people who are *ignoring* what the game developers have said.

You are not suffering. You are impatient. You are too used to getting your own way and you seem to honestly believe that drama-queening on a forum is the way to solve your problem. That is the online version of throwing your toys on the floor and stamping your feet. Grow up.

=====

Apologies to the rest of you for the above - having spent the last week reading posts both here and on the Oblivion boards, I am appalled by the number of posts by the "suffering masses".

Vehem said:
Drama queen.

Living in the world you do, seeing the things you see on the news, having sufficient resources to own a home and still have enough to pay for electricity, a computer and computer games - for you to turn round and claim that you're "suffering"... Well. You need to develop a little perspective.

You are not abandoned - how many times do you need to hear that. If you are being ignored it is because you are one of many thousands of people who are *ignoring* what the game developers have said.

You are not suffering. You are impatient. You are too used to getting your own way and you seem to honestly believe that drama-queening on a forum is the way to solve your problem. That is the online version of throwing your toys on the floor and stamping your feet. Grow up.

=====

Apologies to the rest of you for the above - having spent the last week reading posts both here and on the Oblivion boards, I am appalled by the number of posts by the "suffering masses".

Yes, complaining on game which was just released ( no more than couple of weeks) may be enough to be considered "impatient".
But complaining on game released 6 months ago and not fucnctioning well until this day can't be considered to be "impatient".

They said that it will be "real soon". And now nealy two months have passed from that time without any explanation or apology. Yes, I understand that there may be some unexpected hurdle or delay in the real world...
But they should have informed us what has happened to it. Isn't it that they ignores us?
Am I requesting too much? Am I too impetient?

If Take 2 dare to include the Patch only in the expansion without independent patch release, I'll boycott its future products and told my friends about it.

tymmail said:
If Take 2 dare to include the Patch only in the expansion without independent patch release, I'll boycott its future products and told my friends about it.

Not to worry - the patch will be released separately (AFTER the expansion).

zx1111 said:
Yes, complaining on game which was just released ( no more than couple of weeks) may be enough to be considered "impatient".
But complaining on game released 6 months ago and not fucnctioning well until this day can't be considered to be "impatient".

They said that it will be "real soon". And now nealy two months have passed from that time without any explanation or apology. Yes, I understand that there may be some unexpected hurdle or delay in the real world...
But they should have informed us what has happened to it. Isn't it that they ignores us?
Am I requesting too much? Am I too impetient?

Now this is an argument that makes me far less prone to want to argue against what you're saying. The best info I can offer is in the following thread, where Thamer offers an update in post #9 - dated roughly 1 month ago.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=162263

I will admit that I too was disappointed with the state of the game when it was first released, though most problems I encountered were solved in the first two patches (still can't see the movies properly mind, but I can ignore that). The most likely reasons for this have been discussed previously though - a rushed QA in order to release the game before Christmas.

I can also imagine that having the game still unplayable (I'm assuming your's is) after 6 months would be even more disappointing and frustrating - maybe you're right and that *is* beyond the limit of how long a company should reasonably expect their customers to wait patiently is.

That conceded - it's not the end of the world. I do still believe the patches will emerge sooner or later and a slow patch-process is far from the worst complaint that can be levelled against a company (google around for the story of DigitalJesters and the french company that developed Bet-On-Soldier for them). I think even you would now be willing to admit your initial post was over the top though (judging by the much more reasonable tone of your subsequent post).

Where is the patch? :mad: :(

Vehem said:
Now this is an argument that makes me far less prone to want to argue against what you're saying. The best info I can offer is in the following thread, where Thamer offers an update in post #9 - dated roughly 1 month ago.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=162263

I will admit that I too was disappointed with the state of the game when it was first released, though most problems I encountered were solved in the first two patches (still can't see the movies properly mind, but I can ignore that). The most likely reasons for this have been discussed previously though - a rushed QA in order to release the game before Christmas.

I can also imagine that having the game still unplayable (I'm assuming your's is) after 6 months would be even more disappointing and frustrating - maybe you're right and that *is* beyond the limit of how long a company should reasonably expect their customers to wait patiently is.

That conceded - it's not the end of the world. I do still believe the patches will emerge sooner or later and a slow patch-process is far from the worst complaint that can be levelled against a company (google around for the story of DigitalJesters and the french company that developed Bet-On-Soldier for them). I think even you would now be willing to admit your initial post was over the top though (judging by the much more reasonable tone of your subsequent post).

Short and obscure comment months old does not seems to be good P.R. What their web site is for? They haden't updated their web site for few month... Is it that hard and time comsuming to post what has happended to the expected patch on their web site?

What was worse is that the game is so tantalizing.. If this game did not worked at all in my computer I already have abadonded it.. But it works well for a while.. and perfactly playable. But after a while it starts to crashs to desktop in the middle of the game... I have to re-play two or three turn again and catch up lost turn due to CTD, and continues to play few more turns.. after while CTD again... and again. Now it becomes not *playing* game, it becomes fighting against the game (I vs Firaxis), testing my will and determination, overcoming disappointment and temptation to throw it away ...
This should never be what a computer game is meant to be....

This series of happenings reminds me of old, bad and unfortunate memory.
Have you played tha game called "The Heroes of Might and Magic IV"? It was also very successful loved franchise of turn based strategy game.. We waited and they released its fourth incarnation HOMM:4.
But the game was half-finished and hurried to the door to meet holyday season. So full of bugs and frequent CTD and lock-ups. The game itself was not so bad... They got rave reviews and praise.
They issued few patches, but even after few patch, it get better, but still buggy and quarking and you cant finish game without CTD.. The royal fan disappointed and the player gets angery...
But still the company ignored voices of angry player and not so responsive to the customers and sold exapnsion before the original get fixed to the degree that is comfortably playerable. What has happend to the company (3DO) then..?
The the mass of avid and royal fans start to defect and abandon the game and the game company gone belly up after 2 years and the publishing right of the series is sold to other company.

In my experince, the bugginess of this Civ4 is not as bad as HOMM4, but closest to the game in that regard among the games I played in few years. I see very much of similarity in attitude of the company in both Firaxis and 3DO.. Very successful franchise, They rushed half-finished game to the door. Very terse to customer, does not listen to them, ignoring their voice and suffering, rude enough to sell expansion before the original is fixed enough. etc. etc.. I hope that the fate of the Frixis does not ends like that of 3DO But I fear that ....

wurm657 said:
...kind of seems like a picture of two guys standing next to each other wearing "I'm with Stupid" t-shirts with the arrows pointing at each other

They'd both be right :lol:

I was going to buy sid meier's pirates and due to their customer policy i refused to buy it.What is really astounishing is how they can do so openly this bad business?They are simply losing a growing part of fans, personally i have ever liked and bought every game firaxis did from alpha centauri, but i really didn't expect this behavior.

zx1111 said:
But it works well for a while.. and perfactly playable. But after a while it starts to crashs to desktop in the middle of the game... I have to re-play two or three turn again and catch up lost turn due to CTD, and continues to play few more turns.. after while CTD again... and again.

That sounds more like your hardware is not quite up to the task of running the game than an actual bug in the programming. Try turning down the graphics quality a notch or two or playing on smaller maps. I too had problems at first trying to run Large or Huge maps but it had nothing to do with the game being broken, it was all due to my equipment.

Willems right, if you meet the recomendations you will have no problems. You can't really blame Firaxis for that.

zx1111 said:
But it works well for a while.. and perfactly playable. But after a while it starts to crashs to desktop in the middle of the game... I have to re-play two or three turn again and catch up lost turn due to CTD, and continues to play few more turns.. after while CTD again... and again.
This sounds very similar to an experience I was having. I had mid and late-game crash to desktops repeatedly (huge maps, epic games) until I downloaded the static leaderheads mod. I /do/ think there is some shoddy programming in there, as my computer is definitely over the recommended specs. It may also be a problem with ATI's drivers, however. But give the static leaderheads mod a try, it might help you too: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=161083&highlight=static+leaderheads

Willem said:
That sounds more like your hardware is not quite up to the task of running the game than an actual bug in the programming. Try turning down the graphics quality a notch or two or playing on smaller maps. I too had problems at first trying to run Large or Huge maps but it had nothing to do with the game being broken, it was all due to my equipment.
Yes it is not top-notch computer gear, But not a year old and capable enough to play this kind of game :
P-4 3.0GHz (intel 630), 1GB of PC400 DDR RAM, ATi X800 PCI-Ex,
250G SATA-II HDD... Well above minimum and recommended specs...
So Firaxis can't blame my gear...

Drama queen.

You just described half of this forum. No doubt.

cds0528 said:
Willems right, if you meet the recomendations you will have no problems. You can't really blame Firaxis for that.

Its too bad we dont know what the reqs are. Obviously the ones on the box and advertised are wrong. Some people have no problems running the game on low systems while some have a system over the recommended specs and the game still has issues. (Me) Alot of it is based off of the particular video card you are using as my guess.

It seems alot of Nvidia people have no problems at running the game even on low end systems. SOME ATI people (most of the people I have seen having problems) have systems on a higher end (or at least hitting the required specs) and have all kinds of graphics issues. I think more of the beta was tested on Nvidia, of course that is just my theory based off of the fact that more people on Nvidia cards have less problems. I can't really say one way or the other as fact though.

The specs on the box are wrong as they do not tell you that you need a specified video card. They just say a 128MB one. As in any will do. So:

"if you meet the recomendations you will have no problems." - is a lie.

ATi graphic cards are not so uncommon graphics cards among average gamers.
Ati is No.2 seller of graphics chip and fierce competitor of Nvidia..
Market leader Nvidia have about 43% market share , contender Ati has about 26%.. rest belongs to intel and via .. which is considered to be not suitabe for serious 3D game like Civ 4.
So it is 43: 26 = 62% vs 37% for 3D-game ready high/middle end graphic cards...
This means more than a third of Civ4 player with machine that satisfies/exceeds recommended spec for graphics card has ATi graphics card.. Is this too small fraction safe to be untested and ignored?
and Nivia's 6800 and Ati's X800 was top of the line grapics card of each company for first half of last year. It does not make any sense that Firaxis did not tested their game throughly on such system.
Some game works better on ATi cards and showd better result(Frame /sec) on it and even advertised so ( kind of cooperative marketing).
If Firaxis tested their game only on the Nvidia, it is grave mistake unthinkable and unacceptable as a decent game developer. What we are asking to Firaxis is not that they should support old and hard-to-find and sub-par graphics cards. At least, they should test their game on few of most common and actively sold in current market and widely used plaform, including ATi X600,700 800, Nvidia 6800... Isn't it belongs to common sense?

My best guess is that Sid or some executives of Firaxis invested large sum of money in Nvidia's stock. So they have keen interest on market success of Nvidia's sales. That means that Ati should lose their market share considerably. So they conspired to use their influence to ruin reputation of ATi graphics chip and throw mud at it. So they intentionally avoided testing their game on ATi's.
They don't have to give specific order to do so. Just buy Nvidia card only and put it in all the developer's computer. They have perfact excuse for it. Nvidia is market leader on grahics card so they bought it.
Is this seems to be quite probable and resonable explanation for why they did not tested their games on Ati's?

zx1111 said:
Yes it is not top-notch computer gear, But not a year old and capable enough to play this kind of game :
P-4 3.0GHz (intel 630), 1GB of PC400 DDR RAM, ATi X800 PCI-Ex,
250G SATA-II HDD... Well above minimum and recommended specs...
So Firaxis can't blame my gear...

No, you definitely shouldn't have any problems running it on that setup. I presume you've updated all your drivers?

Top Bottom