No futher patch

zx1111 said:
I object! Software piracy is just same as shoplifting game box from the store..
I wouldn't say in public that I will commit a crime even as a empty or imaginary togue-in-the-cheek threat.
But we may punish them by postponing the purchase of expansion pack ( if you choose to buy it anyway) for few weeks until the price come down. Teeth for teeth, delay for delay...
It is perfactly legal and even good for your purse. It is right thing for us to do for the health of our capitalism and consumerism that we pay less for game with less quality. Lets pay full price for full quality top-notch game and let their endeavor be compenated in financial way and show our thanks and respect to the developers.
But let's pay less price for game which is so buggy and made in cheaper way and too many corners were cut. By this, we can punish them in financial way. This is only and most effective way to let our angry voice be heard by those game developers who gave us more agony and anger than pleasure.. This will be most apelling and chilling threat to them.

True, but the only way to know if software is buggy before you buy it is to visit fan sites like this one and read the forums. That is why it is good that there are so many "where is the patch" threads. It gives people the information they need to make an informed purchase.

Even if there really is a patch, and it fixes all the problems, I will treat any future Take2 product like a used car. Investigate it thoroughly before buying and pass if there is any indication of a problem at all.

Philips said:
[...]Even if there really is a patch, and it fixes all the problems, I will treat any future Take2 product like a used car. Investigate it thoroughly before buying and pass if there is any indication of a problem at all.
I agree to this and would propose that we spread the news.

I do not care at all, whose "fault", "responsibility" or whatever it may be, I just look at the fact that with beginning of February a patch was officially announced which still has not arrived.

I would say, a 2 months delay in buying any new Firaxis/Take2 product would be a good compensate, wouldn't it?

Older than Dirt said:
I just gave up trying to examine the cities and save and reload. This gives me time for a break and I can do things like run the vacuum or refinish the window sills or feed the cat.

Just don't try to vacuum and feed the cat at the same time.

Unfortunately Firaxis rep has taken a hit with Pirates! and Civ 4. I still think very highly of the company, but I no longer expect the awesome support of a game after release like it used to be.

Still, they are still one of the best, just not what it used to be like.

King Flevance said:
With the exception of having the newest drivers for my video card, the ATI Radeon 7500 ALL-IN-WONDER 128MB.

The Radeon 7500 is not a recommended card, it is a minimum card. You can't expect good performance from a dinosaur like that.

Indeed. I use a nVidia GeForce 6600, and I can play alright up to the modern age, then even the .bik movies don't play well enough to be watchable. I know that's not top-of-the-line, but it is over the recommended. I think... whatever.

I've been waiting for the patch, and I will continue to do so. When the release it, I'll get it. I frankly don't care if the patch is released after Warlords or not. I even don't care if it's integrated in Warlords only; I'll end up getting the expansion pack eventually anyway. Just like I eventually got Civ III Gold, Civ III Conquests and Civ III Complete.

I play the game, for hours on end, and have no slowdowns or crashes at all (with my Radeon 128MB 9250 card)-except if I alt-tab the game too many times, and even then its still a playable speed-just slightly laggy.

I play MP with some Aussie friends online at least twice a week-again, no problems with crashes, connections or game speed/synching.

Given the differences in our experiences, I am left wondering if we Aussies simply got a better quality product-because it was on DVD rather than CD? Though I admit that there were 1 or 2 issues prior to the 1.52 game patch (like having to delete the cache every hour or so), but now those are gone for me too!

Aussie_Lurker.

It would be great if firaxes or someone else released a list of game rules changes in the patch that could be modded in now.

I would be interested to know if chop rushing has been changed or slave rushing changed, particularly on non normal speeds.

Then I could start playing with these new rules.

Aussie_Lurker said:
I play the game, for hours on end, and have no slowdowns or crashes at all (with my Radeon 128MB 9250 card)-except if I alt-tab the game too many times, and even then its still a playable speed-just slightly laggy.

I play MP with some Aussie friends online at least twice a week-again, no problems with crashes, connections or game speed/synching.

Given the differences in our experiences, I am left wondering if we Aussies simply got a better quality product-because it was on DVD rather than CD? Though I admit that there were 1 or 2 issues prior to the 1.52 game patch (like having to delete the cache every hour or so), but now those are gone for me too!

Aussie_Lurker.
As I meanwhile have experience with two completely different computers (in both cases with a brandnew WinXP H SP2, and all other stuff up to date) I think the main reason why some people face problems and others don't lies in the size of the map (not taking into account, that some users indeed may have too low systems or not cleaned up their installation).

Even on a P4 3.6 GHz, 2GB RAM (PC533), 2*6800GS (SLI) I have to reload after some hours, since the game gets sluggish. Having reloaded, I experience appr. +10 fps more and a smooth playing - well, for the next three or four hours.

Similar, but more significant it is on the lower machine.

I have to admit that I play on gigantic maps only, though. Therefore I accept those delays, as this is beyond the game specs.

What bugs me, though, are the occasionally missing mouse-over tips. This is a minor, but absolutely un-understandable bug, which really annoys me...
Well, not to mention the "skating" units, or the "runaways". Did I tell about the "teleporting" units already (granted, they are really very rare, but you may face them every third or so game).

So, the game has technically improved (balancing and conception are still below minimum) but still there are many things to do.

Yet this too I have no problems with whatsoever. I always play on either large or huge maps, and am not beyond playing the occasional terra map to boot. The only time the game has EVER slowed down is once-on a terra map-when another civ gave me a world map. Even then it only slowed down on the turn it was given to me. After that it worked fine.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Lithgon said:
I would like to investigate the city before I decide to raze it. :(
Yes this is BADLY needed!

floppymoose said:
Just don't try to vacuum and feed the cat at the same time.
And definitely don't try to feed the vacuum to the cat (it doesn't digest well). Or vice versa.

I haven't played for a few months, I can't believe the patch isn't out yet. I wouldn't put it past Firaxis to release the patch in the expansion, and in any case it is too late to for them to win me back.

Willem said:
The Radeon 7500 is not a recommended card, it is a minimum card. You can't expect good performance from a dinosaur like that.

I beg to differ. The RECOMMENDED specs advertised on this game were:

1.8Ghz processor P4 or AMD Athlon
512 MB of RAM
128MB Video card w/ DirectX 8 support

Minimum:
1.2Ghz processor P4 or AMD Athlon
256 MB of RAM
64MB Video Card

The recommended specs were NOT:

512 MB of RAM
128MB Video card (except the ATI RADEON 7500, that one sucks)

My specs are

2.7Ghz processor - 900Mhz over recommended
760 ram - 256 over
128MB video card - met.

So, I am OVER the recommended specs. GO back and reread my post. The fact is I have better specs than what was "recommended" and I still have people saying, "Oh well, yours doesn't count." But I have also seen people running it on lower systems than mine as in under recommended possibly even under minimum and having no problems.

My system is very simple in its setup. Not hard to test for. Your opinion of my card proves nothing as it does fit the requirements. I would love to have PCI-E or even an AGP for a better card. Soon I will be buying a new graphics card that is 256 for standard PCI. But I am NOT going to rush out and buy a new maotherboard or PC just for this game when I have already sank this much into it already. The game isnt THAT good. I have bills to pay and barely enough money to cover them. My card meets the recommended specs and my game should be running fine. The minimum specs call for a 64MB video card dinosaur. Mine should be fine.

Not that it really matters but the game can run on a 32 MB intel integrated video card on a laptop.

There are a million and one reasons why it could work on comp below minimum (such as my laptop, no slowdown huge Terra Map late in the game) and not work on a state of the art machine, but those get covered in the bug reports and tech support area.

Anyways I just want that patch out so that the Multi-Team Demo Game will start. :)

Oh yeah incase your racking your brain on how it actually runs, The processor is is only 1.6 Ghz, that should help :rolleyes:

In all seriousness the only reason it runs is because I tweaked all the settings and major areas of the game (i.e most grahics) run right of the RAM (which I did have to increase to 2 Gigs :eek: (still cheaper than a video card)

Mr. Do said:
To be honest, if the patch is not released more than a week before the expansion pack, I will download the expansion pack from the internet, illegally, for free. I trust that all the cheerleaders have no problem with my stating this, since they're so sure that the patch is coming.

That is how you do a bet of this nature, Drogear. I recommend everyone else make the same pledge.

EDIT: Nevermind, what i was going to see would be innapropriate.

Xanikk999 said:
I know this might be innapropriate but can you tell me some sites where i could download old pc games? I cant find sim tower anywhere and they dont sell it in stores anymore. If they dont sell it anymore then i think its legitimate to download it for free.

:lol: I recently reinstalled Sim Tower on my machine. I still have my previous copy though. lol that I ran on my 486DX. THE POWAH! I dont know of any sites you could... not even sure if I did if recommending one would be ok on here. I doubt you could even have maxis send you one as I didnt see it on their site. everything is Sim City 3k and up.

I did find this link in looking though of some game coming out on April 10th for the Gamecube. What kind of strategy is this. I think someone at Nintendo was playing WinXP pinball and AOE too much and "thought" he had a good idea.

Maybe its time for the pinball unit in Civ?

Do not worry though, I found the site and it seems perfectly legal since Maxis is now owned by EA who does not hold the rights to Sim Tower. So it is kind of unclaimed. Sorry, if I misunderstand. Here is the link

http://www.etherealnexus.net/simgames/

King Flevance said:
I beg to differ. The RECOMMENDED specs advertised on this game were:

512 MB of RAM
128MB Video card w/ DirectX 8 support

Minimum:
1.2Ghz processor P4 or AMD Athlon
256 MB of RAM
64MB Video Card

Read your manual. It specifically lists the Radeon 7500 as a minimum card, along with the GeForce 2. The exact wording is:

Minimum System Requirements

"64 MB Video Card w/ Hardware T&L (GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)"

So sorry, but your system is deficient in that one area. Instead of complaining about it, you should just go out and buy a new card.

The radeon 7500 made both a 128 and a 64. asumming on the wording in the manual not specifying the 128 it reads the 64MB one in the minmum reqs.

I did see that in the manual. But referring to the manual minimum specs they mean the 64MB 7500.

Top Bottom