1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

No happy people

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by shyuhe, Feb 20, 2010.

1. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Explored with the warrior while teching agriculture on a worker build. The city popped a map and the warrior popped some gold. Our surroundings:

I would say we couldn't have asked for better given our variant rules, as we have easy access to both marble and stone, and even some gold that we can mine (but not road).

I don't have time to play any more and I think we know enough about our surroundings to discuss a bit. It looks like the coast is pretty close to the south but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Roster:
    shyuhe just played
    mysty - UP
    Silu (on deck)
    Ras
    bbp
    Mutineer

Attached Files:

2. Silu

Silu Deity

Yey, nearby Stone :woohoo: Let the wonderspam begin! And 3½ exploitable food resources outside the capital, also fantastic.

I think 'Mids are in order at least. Aesth/Lit Marble stuff wouldn't hurt either but that's for later.

Looking great so far :)

3. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

So far I see only 2 happiness resources, which tend to indicate isolated start. 5 food resources on other hand lets as hope for 1 more civ on island.

4. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Isolated with our variant rules could be interesting. I definitely agree that the pyramids are something we want to consider given the stone.

5. babybluepants

babybluepants Deity GOTM Staff

Looking good!
    Stone, marble... :drool:
    Rivers are a double-edged sword here, huh? Without +2 for fresh water, something like wheat or sheep is as good as unimproved actually...
    I'd certainly hope we're not isolated, but it does seem like a smallish land mass.
    @Mutineer, can you really tell by visible resources? How?

6. Silu

Silu Deity

Well at least we can workshop that Wheat and have +1 food on the tile :lol: Too bad that the Stone is 2 off river, I think we want to have it in first ring if/when we go 'Mids... Fresh water is a big deal for us. Maybe hope for an Oasis in the desert :)

7. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

>>Mutineer, can you really tell by visible resources? How?
    Not really but partly due to the way the resources are distributed over the continents...

8. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

Got it. Land looks great, no FP for a change but I dare say we've had plenty in the last game :lol:

More specific comments later.

I think, bestsss, you mean more specificly by "due to the way resources are distributed" that resources tend to be isolated on continents which for example makes overseas trade more interesting (not in that game anyway). The more DIFFERENT resources the bigger the continent likely is. I think we'll have some neighbors but it's early to tell for sure... being isolated would be very bad as we couldn't get any seafood, it would be best if we find some inland AI... I think it'll be very interesting finding out about AI-AI trades and ask to cancel deals when we want to improve a riverside resource for example :p

9. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

As long as we don't road the tile, we can still farm the wheat and pasture the sheep. So both tiles would be food positive even accounting for unhealthiness. And yeah, we'll be workshopping that lovely riverside wheat tile :lol: Or we can cottage it as a food neutral tile!

We should also give some thought to the Hanging Gardens since we have stone and our rather desperate for health.

10. Silu

Silu Deity

Because of the AIs obscene love for Math, I think that's gonna be hard unless we prioritize it massively. Which we could, of course... :p Depends on how this earliest-game goes.

11. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

It is my believe that system generate 2 happiness resources per civ per continent.

Subject to total amount of resources in game and total amount of civ per continent.
    I never had an isolated start with more then 2 happiness resources.
    I believe there is similar rule on health resources, but it is not so precise. Probably some resources added anyway or something.

12. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

Ohh and when I am talking about number of resources, I am talking about types of resources. Currently we see only gold and silk.

13. ungy

ungy Deity

This one looks like a tough variant--you guys will do OSS proud if you bring it home:)

Nice start and good luck!

14. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Murky Waters showed in the last game that kremlin plus slavery is enough in terms of production, factories aren't necesarry (we will see at time, but I mean we do have other means)... and growing big isn't necesarry want we wanna do (the cities... the empire will be huge :p)

@Shyuhe: an ICS SE looks like the most reseannoble path to follow looking at all the bulb talking... but i am not sure about forests... is there a case where 2 forests are better than two farms pre Scientific Method?

Looks like a city one south west of the stone can build the Mids quick (though it will be rubbish beside that... but who cares in ICS?). I can't see from the screen but if the tile south and south east fo the stone are hills, one south of the stone is another possibility but needs a monument befores starting the wonder (unless we do SH in the capital).

15. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

I'm not fully convinced that we should do an ICS type strategy yet. If we want to go ICS, we'll need a religion but going to settle gold conflicts with settling stone.

16. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Actually I am not for a strict ICS but more like Mysty, a lot of overlap to balance the low caps but without restrictions on placement due to grids... We can be the first to philo 90% sure (and in the bc ofc), or we are lucky and get COL. We don't need to go for a religion start (though masonry is on the path to mono :mischief:)...

Truth is I am always up for something new :goodjob:

17. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

Played a short set of 11 turns or so until AH. Nothing too interesting happened...

• Ran into saladin on the first turn, meeting a scout with the warrior. Dunno where he is...
    • Probably should've scouted east as coast is to the west and a mountain range. Popped a hut for 49g though :woohoo: makes me suspect sal is more likely located east of us.
    • Didn't get much scouting done. Warrior is at 1.8 health.
    • Finished worker, started on warrior. 1 tile farmed, 1 prefarmed (marked), now working on pasturing the pig.
    • Not sure about next tech. Imo it should be mining > bw but we might want to do this safely and slot in archery... or press on the mids by going masonry (but that's unlikely). What are your opinions?
    • Current warrior can scout north while the new one can scout around our stone site. If we tech masonry fast and quickly get our stone city out we might be able to sneak the GW... Might be worth a shot as an early GSpy is great for semi isolation but kinda boring imo.

View attachment OSS BC-3120.CivBeyondSwordSave

edit: sorry for small participation and boring report but I'm a bit sick... I wonder how you managed to infect me trough msn, ras :p

18. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

I'll look at the save a bit more this weekend. Until then:

Roster:
    shyuhe
    mysty
    Silu - UP
    Ras (on deck)
    bbp
    Mutineer

19. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

There not mach to look at yet, we need better exploration.
    Mining seems to be in order, after that depends.
    Capital is not food rich, so slavery not needed yet.
    exploration near as may show horses, fixing barbarian defense problem.
    And there now mach to chop and we may not want to.

20. Silu

Silu Deity

I think Mining->BW is the way to go. Whip&Chop is gooood times with IMP. I think it's too much of a hassle to build the GW with Stone here. We can't feasibly settle on the stone, and a desert quarry takes AGES to improve, plus the roading. Thus I also vote no for the GW, though it would be pretty good. Close call, we could try and hook up the Stone and give it a shot I suppose. Resource-sped failure cash isn't horrible even if it fails. Though I think I still vote no and rather used those hammers for 'Mids instead.

Not much to it I guess. Build (2?) warriors until size3(-4? depending on how the warrior completions fall) and start on a Settler, followed by a Worker. Though I think I won't get that far.

Opinions?

EDIT:

Hmm, +6 surplus size 3 isn't that bad. I could see us wanting to whip Settlers from 4->3, 5->4 or 5->3 with IMP bonuses. Though the river grass hills are also great :)