No hatepocalypse? I'm almost disappointed!

AlpsStranger

Jump jump on the tiger!
I mean I've seen a few grumblers here and there, but I'm really shocked that we're not getting really visible shrieking, hair pulling, etc. It's a new Civilization release and it's not Civ3 re-skinned, surely it must be the antichrist!

Jokes aside, I'm feeling a good vibe when I glance at most of the forums and such.

Anyhow, I'm still honeymooning with the game. I'll dig into the nitty gritty and read more about it later, right now I just want some time with it untainted by other people's strategies, opinions, etc.

Don't go visit the AI thread, there be dragons.. but yeah it seems that most people are enjoying the game so far this time around. It's certainly not perfect but it's a lot of fun.

The AI is terrible so I expect the mood to darken somewhat in the coming weeks.

But Civ6 is vastly superior to Civ5 vanilla, so the good mood is not surprising at all. You make it sound like Civ5 vanilla wasn't the failure it was. And Civ4 had major performance issues - I for example wasn't able to actually play it for a couple months because of weird graphics issues. Civ6 is the first Civ release since Civ3 (including Col2 and BE) that doesn't give many reasons to be annoyed by it.

One thing to keep in mind, the people who are most dissatisfied with the game are the first to head back to the forums to vent. It doesn't mean they are wrong or right, but they will be the loudest at first regardless.

The Ai is terrible diplomacy is non existing And you can win on deity withouth problem.

the reason people don't hate it because the game itsels is atually amazing the Ai just need adjustments its not like civ 5 where even the game mechanics had unbalanced things and things to exploit

The AI is terrible so I expect the mood to darken somewhat in the coming weeks.

But Civ6 is vastly superior to Civ5 vanilla, so the good mood is not surprising at all. You make it sound like Civ5 vanilla wasn't the failure it was. And Civ4 had major performance issues - I for example wasn't able to actually play it for a couple months because of weird graphics issues. Civ6 is the first Civ release since Civ3 (including Col2 and BE) that doesn't give many reasons to be annoyed by it.

Even the AI threads are quite bright and sunny compared to some of the stuff that was posted about Civ IV and V. Civ IV after Beyond the Sword was still so broken it took community patches to be playable, while Civ V had the popularity of Tony Abbott in central Melbourne if we judged it by the response on here, even after Gods & Kings. Some on here were out for blood due to the DLC as well, as though DLC had killed their whole family, then followed suit with the expansions for killing the DLC. There's always going to be done negativity, but this so far is quite pleasant.

The Ai is terrible diplomacy is non existing And you can win on deity withouth problem.

the reason people don't hate it because the game itsels is atually amazing the Ai just need adjustments its not like civ 5 where even the game mechanics had unbalanced things and things to exploit

Beat Deity without problem. Neato! Do a stream of you doing that tonight, would be great to watch.

I'm still trying to figure out the game. So far NOT really worth 60 euro by a longshot, but we'll see after a year or so..

1) Barbarians
- it's amazing that barbarian camps spawn on like turn 2, and before you can even get to them, they dish out an uncatchable scout and possibly other units, before your capital can even produce your first unit
- sometimes the craziness is absurd, as a single barb camp dishes out a scout, spearman (garrison), two horsemen and horseman archer, all before you get your unit there through the thick vegetation

2) Map scripts
- maps SUCK. So far. All of them.
- if "wet" map means there's 2 short rivers per continent, I don't want to know how "arid" looks like. Especially now that River-less cities not only not have a lot of food, but they sorely lack housing at the start, which means they spend immense amount of time at 1-2 population..
- VEGETATION EVERYWHERE. I mean.. sure.. it's nice to have a few tiles of forest or jungle, but hell, not whole damn screen covered in them. It takes 20 turns to cross them to cull that barb camp, and till you get there, they'll spawn 2-3 more units...

3) Sea sucks
- playing for 2 days and I still haven't found a single reason to play maps with sea. You need space for your districts, which you don't have on coast (unless you find yourself a VERY nice lagoon somewhere, only big enough for harbor disrict and two wonders.
- AI doesn't build cities on coast either (at least so far I haven't seen an AI city with a harbour district built. Though I have seen at least city states use boats)

4) No actual options for custom game
- "advanced" view still doesn't allow you to customize almost anything. I'm having trouble waiting for mod to correct that (like you have zero control over the number of city states, their distance from you, etc)

5) resources vs districts
- it's mighty unfair that you have to choose. I'm starting to think I should settle in a place without any resources at all... it's almost a physical pain to replace resources because you can't build elsewhere (be it a requirement for flatland/hills, river, etc... I shed a tear when replacing Fish with Harbour district)

6) strategic resources
- I don't quite get this.. I mean.. I get 1 iron per mine only, does that mean I can only build one swordsman per iron resource or wtf? same with Horses... I actually haven't tried so far, I'm far too fond of my archers

7) total lack of civs
- there's only like half of the civs in civ5, and even then there are two which are 90% the same (Sparta and Athens)
- I found Aztecs somewhat nice (at least compared to others...), although I never got that unique unit's ability to work (I killed about 9 units of barbars with it, and yet I NEVER rectruited any of them after their defeat...), if it works, the chance to convert is set to only about 5% I guess..

8) Legacy AI ******acy
- settles a city as close to you as XML allows, then sends you a message that they're terrified you're so close to their borders and you have too scary army (if 1 swordsman and 2 archers, all at 1 promotion, are scary at turn 180, I eat my shoe)
- you settle a city on the same continent and they despise you for settling too close
- the early diplomacy is even worse than in civ5, where you could at least tell them not to settle close.. here you can't do even that..

and many more probably (hell, you can't even rename your own cities... talk about backwards..)... let's see how many get rectified by modding community within a year.. can't wait for IGE, enhanced customization, new maps, civs and total overhauls (let's finally have that Song of Ice and Fire total war! :D)

Last edited:
They really need to reduce the "moderate" warmonger penalty from -16, and give humans more flexibility to not enrage the AIs' agendas. Building one wonder should not warrant Qin giving you a -12 diplomacy penalty, only if you continually build more wonders than him (IMO).

Also, why are we not able to make the production queue consist of more than one item?

Production costs of buildings also need to go WAY down.

They really need to reduce the "moderate" warmonger penalty from -16, and give humans more flexibility to not enrage the AIs' agendas. Building one wonder should not warrant Qin giving you a -12 diplomacy penalty, only if you continually build more wonders than him (IMO).

Also, why are we not able to make the production queue consist of more than one item?

Production costs of buildings also need to go WAY down.

My favourite thing in my first game was Pedro denouncing me every 30 turns like clockwork, with the reason given: "you have more great people than then".

My favourite thing in my first game was Pedro denouncing me every 30 turns like clockwork, with the reason given: "you have more great people than then".

Jep sorry pedro its not my fault you suck at this game... Don't be jealous i built more districst so got more great people.

Good post.

I am a bit fed up with all these "ranters" (although since this is a rant as well I am one of them lol)

My point is: no matter how good something is, some people will bash it no matter what just because they want to contradict the majority

About the game I think normal people are positive because:

- It is a proper release version, not a beta
- There are some bugs but nothing critical and hopefully it will get address soon
- unbalances will start to be discovered (see horseman vs swordman discussion) and hopefully will be addressed
- AI can be horrible but we are used to it
- We are counting in good expansions since this looks like a moneymaker for 2k/firaxis

Really? Emperor and lower are not too tough I'll admit, but I'm finding immortal quite challenging and am pretty good at the game I think. Who is really winning on diety without any problems?

Theres lots of people bringing up issues but we all recognize them as rather easy to tweak things that if Firaxis doesn't do it the modders will. For instance it has been noted that we progress through the tech tree a bit too fast and that buildings and districts take too long to make. Both easy to mod.

The only really broken exploitable thing is the reselling units. The thing is most aren't really upset about it because it was an interesting idea. Too bad it doesn't look like it'll work out.

Well my guess is that most of the hate for the 4 to 5 change was the introduction of 1UPT and all that stemmed from it. Even with the changes in 6 its not that radically different to 5 (of course the districts etc are different before people bring this up) as 5 felt from 4. Most of the people who hated 5 will not have been as active on the forums so your left with the people who like 5 and are likely to be predisposed to liking 6.

On top of that it just a much better release than 5 had, the various mechanics are interesting and generally well done. Of course the AI and UI suck balls but at least some of that will be solved soonish and balance is always an on going thing as well.

We are still exploring the game, the sample size of games played is too small to give it a good verdict. So far the only negative things that everyone agrees on is that auto cycle is ******ed and makes you missclick your armies on occasion, and that the AI is inconsistent in both war and its attitude towards the player.

There are some bugs as well, like when being declared war through joint war/alliance by an unmet player, so the civ tooltips become bugged. Or when you liberate a city state and click on it befor ethe turn has ended you see some internal data from the game engine itself.

With a few patches the game will be really good, all of the annoying things from Civ 5 that made it have very little replay value for me after getting all the victories on Deity are gone.

I would like to see the great person spam from Deity AI adressed, they really snag everything they can it's absurd. GP now are the way wonders were in Civ 5.

You OP, seem to be quite the white knight for VI based on your posts :p

Interesting responses :)

I think it's that the game is actually fun. Civ5 launch was rather horsehocky, even if I didn't agree with the hive mind about the extent of it.

DEFINITELY issues, DEFINITELY stuff that needs patched ( even urgently. ) Definitely not 100% yet, but I think it may be the best vanilla release in ages, or even ever.

6) strategic resources
- I don't quite get this.. I mean.. I get 1 iron per mine only, does that mean I can only build one swordsman per iron resource or wtf? same with Horses... I actually haven't tried so far, I'm far too fond of my archers

7) total lack of civs
- there's only like half of the civs in civ5, and even then there are two which are 90% the same (Sparta and Athens)
- I found Aztecs somewhat nice (at least compared to others...), although I never got that unique unit's ability to work (I killed about 9 units of barbars with it, and yet I NEVER rectruited any of them after their defeat...), if it works, the chance to convert is set to only about 5% I guess..

6) 1 strategic ressource enables you to build as many units that need it as you want in cities with encampments. 2 enable you to build as many as you want everywhere. This should be obvious rather fast when playing the game.

7) you are comparing vanilla civvi to bnw+all dlc CiV? It had 43 civs after a few years and another 60 € DLC. 20 leaders / 19 civs really isn't bad. And the Eagle Warriors ability doesn't work against barbarians, which is what it tells you.

I think Civ VI is great. Sure, the AI needs work, but it's a lot better than the Civ IV or V AI was at launch, and it gives me plenty of fun and challenge. My biggest immediate complaints are about the UI (hotkeys etc). But I'm enjoying the heck out of it!

Top Bottom